collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Matt Gamel  (Read 5942 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Matt Gamel
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Brewers fans... need your help.  What's the word in Milwaukee around Matt Gamel and his MLB eta.  He's absolutely raking in AAA and I'm wondering if they'll call him up soon or if they're going to wait until the 2nd half.  I hear his glove is brutal at 3rd but how long can you keep a kid in the minors who's hitting around .400 with 7 hr's in 66 ab's?!?!?

thanks!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Matt Gamel
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:43:39 PM »
after his AAA season as a september call up. he needs to play every day and right now there is not a spot for him on the MLB team. maybe he gets a call up during an interleague matchup but i doubt it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »
chances are that he doesn't come up unless there is an injury to prince at 1b or prince somehow gets traded... which probably won't happen.

if the pitching starts to fall apart, watch for a trade possibly involving Gamel or Prince.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
They cannot trade Gamel.  IMO, him and Escobar are absolutely untouchable. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
after his AAA season as a september call up. he needs to play every day and right now there is not a spot for him on the MLB team. maybe he gets a call up during an interleague matchup but i doubt it.

Agree.  He would be a fine DH candidate come interleague time, but they aren't having prolonged offensive struggles yet, and it would have to be pretty bad to justify calling him up when his defense is about as good as an eight year old girl.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
he needs the time in AAA to continue to work on his defense and there is currently no room for him on the big league roster.  An injury will likely be the only way he breaks into the team until late in the year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
They cannot trade Gamel.  IMO, him and Escobar are absolutely untouchable. 

No minor league prospect is ever untouchable.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:57 AM »
No minor league prospect is ever untouchable.

To compete as a mid-market team the Brewers cannot re-sign every one.  They've invested in Braun and will probably do so with Hart.  Economically, JJ & Prince are probably going to be the casualties.  Esco & Gamel need to be there to re-stock.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
To compete as a mid-market team the Brewers cannot re-sign every one.  They've invested in Braun and will probably do so with Hart.  Economically, JJ & Prince are probably going to be the casualties.  Esco & Gamel need to be there to re-stock.

Which makes complete sense, but the notion that anyone is untouchable is ridiculous, especially unproven Minor Leaguers.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
baseball america has him as a 2009 eta. im going to guess its late in the season. there is no reason to rush him. its not like the brewers are going anywhere this year

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
baseball america has him as a 2009 eta. im going to guess its late in the season. there is no reason to rush him. its not like the brewers are going anywhere this year

Well, he's already on the 40 man roster, so a late season call up makes perfect sense. 

Now, is Corey Hart a free agent next year?  He signed a one year deal so he is free to go after this season correct?  Otherwise they have Hall through 2010 with a club option for 2011, and Prince through 2010 as well.  Maybe Gamel ends up in right field as early as next year.  Or if they resign Hart, they can move him to center with Cameron hitting free agency as well.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »

Well, he's already on the 40 man roster, so a late season call up makes perfect sense. 

Now, is Corey Hart a free agent next year?  He signed a one year deal so he is free to go after this season correct?  Otherwise they have Hall through 2010 with a club option for 2011, and Prince through 2010 as well.  Maybe Gamel ends up in right field as early as next year.  Or if they resign Hart, they can move him to center with Cameron hitting free agency as well.

I think you'll see Gamel up as a dh during interleague play and as a late season call-up (especially if the brewers are out of it, although I don't think they will be).  Corey Hart did sign a one year deal but has 2 more arbitration years left and will not be a free agent until following the 2011 season at the earliest (if no contract extension is reached).  The same is true of Prince, although he signed a two year contract the Brewers still control his rights through 2011.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
I think you'll see Gamel up as a dh during interleague play and as a late season call-up (especially if the brewers are out of it, although I don't think they will be).  Corey Hart did sign a one year deal but has 2 more arbitration years left and will not be a free agent until following the 2011 season at the earliest (if no contract extension is reached).  The same is true of Prince, although he signed a two year contract the Brewers still control his rights through 2011.

Ah, OK.  I was unaware that they are arbitration eligible for three years.  That must be what they mean by "buying out a year of arbitration."  Thanks.

feedback