'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 54081 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
Rebuilds were a bitch.  Instant transfers without sitting out helped a lot.  OMax and Kolek getting playing time in ‘21 laid the foundation for last year.  Not having to sit out almost certainly changes the performance of that team.

Also, Wojo left him Kam, Stevie and Oso amongst others

Yeah, and Buzz left a lot more higher rated recruits for Wojo, but Projos insisted just how empty the cupboard was when Wojo arrived - which was always pure comedy.  Wojo "led" that first-year squad to a 4-14 Big East performance and 13-19 overall record.  Year 1 was all I needed to see the guy was clueless as a head coach.

Oso played a whopping total of 38 minutes under Wojo year 1.  Had Kam and Stevie been coached by Wojo, chances are high they wouldn't have evolved on the same trajectory as they have under Shaka.

End of the day hanging onto Wojo as long as they did ultimately allowed serendipity to happen and for Shaka to be ready to bolt Texas after the ACU loss.  That's about all one can say about the benefits of holding onto Wojo for 7 years.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2023, 09:20:46 AM »
Yeah, and Buzz left a lot more higher rated recruits for Wojo, but Projos insisted just how empty the cupboard was when Wojo arrived - which was always pure comedy.  Wojo "led" that first-year squad to a 4-14 Big East performance and 13-19 overall record.  Year 1 was all I needed to see the guy was clueless as a head coach.

Oso played a whopping total of 38 minutes under Wojo year 1.  Had Kam and Stevie been coached by Wojo, chances are high they wouldn't have evolved on the same trajectory as they have under Shaka.

End of the day hanging onto Wojo as long as they did ultimately allowed serendipity to happen and for Shaka to be ready to bolt Texas after the ACU loss.  That's about all one can say about the benefits of holding onto Wojo for 7 years.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »
Yeah, and Buzz left a lot more higher rated recruits for Wojo, but Projos insisted just how empty the cupboard was when Wojo arrived - which was always pure comedy.

Would you rather have Kam Jones, Stevie Mitchell, and Oso Ighodaro? Or Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson, and Luke Fischer? Cause I know which one I would rather have. (To be clear, this has nothing to do with defending Wojo or discrediting Shaka, just commenting on the idea that we should be valuing high school rankings over actual performance at the college level)

Agreed with all this. I'm very glad we have Shaka.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2023, 10:25:53 AM »
Would you rather have Kam Jones, Stevie Mitchell, and Oso Ighodaro? Or Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson, and Luke Fischer? Cause I know which one I would rather have. (To be clear, this has nothing to do with defending Wojo or discrediting Shaka, just commenting on the idea that we should be valuing high school rankings over actual performance at the college level)

Agreed with all this. I'm very glad we have Shaka.

I doesn't really matter, because the Buzz guys you mention had the disservice of having to play for an idiot, and the guys Wojo recruited get to play for a far better coach.

You love to exclude Deonte Burton from these discussions, which is always funny.  And I suspect Duane, JuJuan and Deonte would give Stevie, Kam and Oso all they could handle if you lined them up 3 on 3.  Wojo of course had a cupboard with Luke Fischer, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson and Sandy Cohen in addition to the aforementioned 3, but, of course he inherited an empty cupboard.  LMAO.

Bottom line is the guy couldn't coach for crap and thats why we sucked Year 1, and why good/capable players transferred out under him.  It wasn't for lack of talent in the program when he arrived.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2023, 10:39:35 AM »
Kam, Stevie, and Oso would absolutely work Duane, Jajuan, and Deonte.  Like, how is this even a question?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2023, 10:40:02 AM »
I doesn't really matter, because the Buzz guys you mention had the disservice of having to play for an idiot, and the guys Wojo recruited get to play for a far better coach.

You love to exclude Deonte Burton from these discussions, which is always funny.  And I suspect Duane, JuJuan and Deonte would give Stevie, Kam and Oso all they could handle if you lined them up 3 on 3.  Wojo of course had a cupboard with Luke Fischer, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson and Sandy Cohen in addition to the aforementioned 3, but, of course he inherited an empty cupboard.  LMAO.

Bottom line is the guy couldn't coach for crap and thats why we sucked Year 1, and why good/capable players transferred out under him.  It wasn't for lack of talent in the program when he arrived.

Deonte's mother died and transferred as result. That has been confirmed by multiple sources including Deonte himself. I wouldn't hold his transfer against any coach.  And even if I did include him, I would still take Kam, Stevie, and Oso...despite one being a trio of top 50 recruits and the other being a trio of 75-150 rated recruits.

Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, and Sandy Cohen were all mid-major level players in college. Teve played like crap for two years under Buzz and Juan played like crap for three years under Buzz.

Again, this isn't about Wojo or Shaka. Just the idea that we should judge a player's talent on their high school ranking...instead of multiple years of actual college performance.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 10:41:38 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »
Kam, Stevie, and Oso would absolutely work Duane, Jajuan, and Deonte.  Like, how is this even a question?

Obviously because they were rated higher in high school! How they actually performed in college is irrelevant in comparison.
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2023, 10:53:28 AM »
Keeping it very simple - the amount of growth I’ve seen from kam, Stevie and oso is incredible. I would have a very hard time seeing any of them make that sort of progress under the previous coach given how little he got out of several of his players during his regime.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »

Since it’s a hypothetical, I’ll go a step further. The only “real” way to compare the two groups would be to look at them as when they showed up to MU, before any coaching/college development. In that case, I’m taking Deonte, Jajuan, and Duane (remember, pre injury). The other group is 1000% the better college group but they have the benefit of playing for a an actual coach with an actual development program. The other guys got screwed by playing for Wojo

But as high school graduates/summer of college freshman. Give me the Buzz guys. Deonte could matchup and potentially own  a skinny, unskilled Oso, the Memphis boys would be a good battle, and I think Duane was a little further along that Stevie at that time.

Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2023, 11:06:49 AM »
Deonte's mother died and transferred as result. That has been confirmed by multiple sources including Deonte himself. I wouldn't hold his transfer against any coach.  And even if I did include him, I would still take Kam, Stevie, and Oso...despite one being a trio of top 50 recruits and the other being a trio of 75-150 rated recruits.

Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, and Sandy Cohen were all mid-major level players in college. Teve played like crap for two years under Buzz and Juan played like crap for three years under Buzz.

Again, this isn't about Wojo or Shaka. Just the idea that we should judge a player's talent on their high school ranking...instead of multiple years of actual college performance.

Ners, who recently accused others of being "argumentative," will die 10,000 times on the hill of Dawson, Taylor, Cohen and Anderson being college superstars that Wojo effed up, and of Burton actually wanting to stay at Marquette for 4 years but bolting because he couldn't stand to spend one more minute around Wojo.

For some reason, Nrs desperately needs that hill, so please stop trying to take it away from him by citing stoopid stuff like facts.

Keeping it very simple - the amount of growth I’ve seen from kam, Stevie and oso is incredible. I would have a very hard time seeing any of them make that sort of progress under the previous coach given how little he got out of several of his players during his regime.

Has anybody said or even suggested otherwise? If so, I've missed it. All some Scoopers have said is that Wojo and his assistants brought Kam, Stevie and Oso to Marquette. Which of course is true. But those who want to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-relitigate "Wojo sucks" until the day they die hate that.

Me? I'm glad Wojo brought them to Marquette, I'm glad Shaka convinced them to stay, and I'm glad Shaka and his assistants have gotten the most out of them.

I hope that take isn't too outlandish.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2023, 11:17:59 AM »
Ners, who recently accused others of being "argumentative," will die 10,000 times on the hill of Dawson, Taylor, Cohen and Anderson being college superstars that Wojo effed up, and of Burton actually wanting to stay at Marquette for 4 years but bolting because he couldn't stand to spend one more minute around Wojo.

For some reason, Nrs desperately needs that hill, so please stop trying to take it away from him by citing stoopid stuff like facts.

Has anybody said or even suggested otherwise? If so, I've missed it. All some Scoopers have said is that Wojo and his assistants brought Kam, Stevie and Oso to Marquette. Which of course is true. But those who want to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-relitigate "Wojo sucks" until the day they die hate that.

Me? I'm glad Wojo brought them to Marquette, I'm glad Shaka convinced them to stay, and I'm glad Shaka and his assistants have gotten the most out of them.

I hope that take isn't too outlandish.

Juan Anderson’s mixtape said it like four posts ago…

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »

I was sad Deonte left. The reality is that he played for us in the first 8 games of the season, on a bad team. He didn’t start, and only hit 20 minutes once.

After losing at home to uw-Madison, 49-38, in a game where he logged 11 minutes, that was it.

I do put blame on the staff
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2023, 11:25:31 AM »
Why's everybody leaving Justin out of the conversation but keeping Juan and Steve in? It's Justin, Greg, then Oso, Steve, Kam vs Juan, Steve, Sandy, JJJ, Luke, Duane, Deonte.

Edit: ok Greg wasn't a top 100 guy so you can forget him like Derrick.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:27:04 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #390 on: October 23, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »
"Wojo's such an idiot he only played Oso 38 minutes."

Also: "Oso wouldn't have had a prayer if he had to play against the absolute dominant college basketball players JJJ, Luke Fischer, and Duane Wilson.  Add in Steve Taylor, Sandy Cohen, and John Dawson and Oso would've become as valuable as Yousapha Mboa!"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #391 on: October 23, 2023, 11:46:28 AM »
Juan Anderson’s mixtape said it like four posts ago…

False.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #392 on: October 23, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
I said it at the time (skewered on Scoop) and I will say it again: Wojo's death knell to me came when his only add that first year was Carlino, and he kept guys that in short order were gone and were never going to fit his finesse Duke systems.

Taylor, Burton, Dawson, Mayo, Cohen were wasted roster spots. Wojo even wasted a long time on Nick Noskowiak. Luke and Duane were not great fits either but they already burned their redshirts (top rated recruits who ended up as back-ups).

Wojo wasted too much time getting his system guys in here. It was a sign of a struggling first time head coach. Contrast that to Shaka.

Paint Touches did a nice article on this a couple of years back.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2023, 11:52:46 AM »
I said it at the time (skewered on Scoop) and I will say it again: Wojo's death knell to me came when his only add that first year was Carlino, and he kept guys that in short order were gone and were never going to fit his finesse Duke systems.

Taylor, Burton, Dawson, Mayo, Cohen were wasted roster spots. Wojo even wasted a long time on Nick Noskowiak. Luke and Duane were not great fits either but they already burned their redshirts (top rated recruits who ended up as back-ups).

Wojo wasted too much time getting his system guys in here. It was a sign of a struggling first time head coach. Contrast that to Shaka.

Paint Touches did a nice article on this a couple of years back.

Even if the guys he got how many were fits for his ideal system? Henry, the Hausers and Markus were probably the only guys that were fits maybe Garcia or Carton but the later two were head cases in addition to Joey. Honestly seems like Wojo was looking for locker room issues.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2023, 12:07:42 PM »
I’m not sure Wojo really had a system. Also, Shaka had a much easier time doing that due to immediate eligibility. It’s not really an apples to apples.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »
I said many times that Wojo did not have a system and that was my biggest problem with him. Yes, he wanted to run the Duke offense (per TAMU years ago) but he did not have the players to the fit the system. That is the #1 reason why I thought he had no chance for long term success.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #396 on: October 23, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »

Not posting about this remains free.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2023, 01:41:33 PM »
I said many times that Wojo did not have a system and that was my biggest problem with him. Yes, he wanted to run the Duke offense (per TAMU years ago) but he did not have the players to the fit the system. That is the #1 reason why I thought he had no chance for long term success.

I don't know that I agree. For many years, MU had one of the top offenses in the country.

Defensively, I would agree. That was a rough road.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2023, 02:00:45 PM »
Dr. B

You may be right, and I am thankful that MU brought in Shaka. IMO, he appears to have a firm system in place and knows the type of player that fit that system.