[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 54066 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:46 PM »
If, God forbid, something would happen to coach K mid season, and Wojo made himself available, I could see Duke seriously considering him. He might be in their top 5.   Closer to 1 or 5  I'm not sure. As someone who would prefer the continuity of Wojo and this incoming class, I would be very nervous.
Is this a joke?

There is a 0.0% chance Duke would consider Wojo.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
I don’t begrudge him for taking a step up, but Cal isn’t a step up from Tennessee.  I remember the UT fans wanting Pearl out and my biggest concern back at the time was he would go to Mizzou first chance he could.  That proved to be true from Cal.

Tennessee fans did not want Pearl out. He was very well liked but was fired by Tennessee for lying to the NCAA investigators. Fast forward Martin was his replacement and the fans never liked him because he wasn’t Pearl.

The hope from some fans was to get Martin fired so they could rehire Pearl after the dust settled.  The situation was bad for Martin and he wanted out. Many thought he would land at MU but the vibe was he wasn’t as interested MU as he was interested in getting out of that situation.

When MU landed on Wojo, Martin pulled out and then later moved on to Cal. He realized that Cal wasn’t the place to be and left again. He would have left MU as well.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2020, 10:11:02 PM »
Tennessee fans did not want Pearl out. He was very well liked but was fired by Tennessee for lying to the NCAA investigators. Fast forward Martin was his replacement and the fans never liked him because he wasn’t Pearl.

The hope from some fans was to get Martin fired so they could rehire Pearl after the dust settled.  The situation was bad for Martin and he wanted out. Many thought he would land at MU but the vibe was he wasn’t as interested MU as he was interested in getting out of that situation.

When MU landed on Wojo, Martin pulled out and then later moved on to Cal. He realized that Cal wasn’t the place to be and left again. He would have left MU as well.

Summary of the situation.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-faces-new-places-cuonzo-martin-knew-it-was-time-to-leave-vols/

Unrelated to on court performance he had this issue in year 2 at Cal when his assistant coach tried to get a reporter to sleep with him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2625139-cuonzo-martin-to-be-investigated-by-cal-regarding-yann-hufnagel-scandal
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:15:43 PM by BallBoy »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »
Stevens has at worst a top-5 job in the NBA. I don't think any college job would interest him in the least, especially considering his reputation for not being enamored with the recruiting process.

Stevens told us something much different....already shared with you last time.  He liked recruiting...directly from his mouth on video.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=57899.msg1093586#msg1093586
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:27:12 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »
Is this a joke?

There is a 0.0% chance Duke would consider Wojo.

LOL.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2020, 10:22:41 PM »

My typo, I meant Martin...you are absolutely correct...Pearl, despite Show Cause penalty had support by Tennessee fans.  They didn’t care that he cheated, they loved him...story of Bruce Pearl basically.  Funny, endearing, charming, well liked, but cannot follow the NCAA rules to save his life.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2020, 10:28:27 PM »
LOL.
Okay. I thought it was a joke but sometimes you never know here on muscoop. I guess I needed to see teal? LOL!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »
Okay. I thought it was a joke but sometimes you never know here on muscoop. I guess I needed to see teal? LOL!

They would “consider” a number of favorite sons, who they hire would unlikely be any of them...but Wojo, Brey, Dawkins, etc would all be “considered”.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2020, 10:53:38 PM »
They would “consider” a number of favorite sons, who they hire would unlikely be any of them...but Wojo, Brey, Dawkins, etc would all be “considered”.
Umm, okay. I guess Duke may waste their time with 'courtesy interviews', but I think that is highly unlikely.

Putting Wojo in the 'top 5 candidates' for the Duke job (which whoajoe did) is a joke. I don't think it was a serious post. Are you saying you agree with his real or joking statement "I could see Duke seriously considering him"?

I don't think anyone in Wojo's family would expect him to be considered for Duke.

Pro-Jo's can't sign on to ridiculous ideas like this; it makes you look crazy.

FWIW, lots of good and very good coaches would never be considered for the Duke job. This is not an anti-Wojo post.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:30:23 PM by WhiteTrash »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2020, 11:38:37 PM »
Umm, okay. I guess Duke may waste their time with 'courtesy interviews', but I think that is highly unlikely.

Putting Wojo in the 'top 5 candidates' for the Duke job (which whoajoe did) is a joke. I don't think it was a serious post. Are saying you agree with his real or joking statement "I could see Duke seriously considering him"?

I don't think anyone in Wojo's family would expect him to be considered for Duke.

FWIW, lots of good and very good coaches would never be considered for the Duke job. This is not an anti-Wojo post.

No joke. 

I was just doing some research and found an online article listing potential replacements for Coach K. Wojo is listed number one. Doesn't mean much but at least it suggests that my take wasn't totally off base.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:06 AM »
Stevens has at worst a top-5 job in the NBA. I don't think any college job would interest him in the least, especially considering his reputation for not being enamored with the recruiting process.

I don’t think he’d take it, but that’s the guy Duke go all in on because he’s the only guy who could truly replace Coach K.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2020, 01:21:23 AM »
No joke. 

I was just doing some research and found an online article listing potential replacements for Coach K. Wojo is listed number one. Doesn't mean much but at least it suggests that my take wasn't totally off base.

All it means is that you're qualified to get a writing gig with Barstool sports

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »

Putting Wojo in the 'top 5 candidates' for the Duke job (which whoajoe did) is a joke. I don't think it was a serious post. Are you saying you agree with his real or joking statement "I could see Duke seriously considering him"?

I’m not suggesting it is an anti Wojo post, but I do think the 0% figure thrown out was wrong....especially if Coach K gets to have influence on the choice which I suspect he will.  As a result, I believe he would be in the mix.  And I also agree with you that many very good coaches would not be in the mix, but they also didn’t play or coach at Duke for 20 years which givens more than the 0% you articulated, in my opinion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »
All it means is that you're qualified to get a writing gig with Barstool sports

Or CBS Sports apparently....Wojo...first listed.  It is comical to think he wouldn’t be considered at all...absolutely comical.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-mike-krzyzewskis-future-at-duke-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »
I don’t think he’d take it, but that’s the guy Duke go all in on because he’s the only guy who could truly replace Coach K.

Why couldn't Jay Wright "truly replace Coach K"?

Or Billy Donovan?

Or Dana Altman?

Or Mark Few?

Or Chris Beard?

I'm not saying a single one of them would even accept an interview offer, but there are plenty of coaches who would do great at Duke, guys who have faced and passed all kinds of tests over the years.

In the NBA, you aren't babysitting teenagers and you aren't dealing with parents. You have to do very little recruiting (perhaps a free agent or two every couple years, and even then money talks loudest). You aren't part of a hypocritical system that pretends to be amateur. You don't have to pretend you care as much (or more) about education or about "running a clean program" than about winning -- when you know damn well that winning is the only thing that really matters in the end. You are paid great. You have highly trained personnel people to help evaluate and bring in talent. So many reasons for Brad Stevens or any other NBA coach to prefer the NBA.

There obviously are many positives about coaching in college, too. But there's a reason why successful NBA coaches don't go back to college while successful college coaches often go to the NBA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »

Or CBS Sports apparently....Wojo...first listed.  It is comical to think he wouldn’t be considered at all...absolutely comical.

UNC fans would be laughing their heads off. They hired Roy Williams from Kansas and Duke would have hired Wojo.

But I do stand corrected, based on the CBS article, if they would only consider Dukies for the position, I guess Wojo is the best of the lot. So, I'll say 1% chance.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:18:09 AM by WhiteTrash »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
That doesn’t mean Wojo was candidate one when abuzz left...he wasn’t.  But after the dust settled and it became go time, he was the guy.  Martin was able to save face.  Stop with the BS

Do you know who MU had pegged as the top candidate?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »

Or Billy Donovan?

Or Dana Altman?

Or Mark Few?

Or Chris Beard?

I'm not saying a single one of them would even accept an interview offer, but there are plenty of coaches who would do great at Duke, guys who have faced and passed all kinds of tests over the years.

In the NBA, you aren't babysitting teenagers and you aren't dealing with parents. You have to do very little recruiting (perhaps a free agent or two every couple years, and even then money talks loudest). You aren't part of a hypocritical system that pretends to be amateur. You don't have to pretend you care as much (or more) about education or about "running a clean program" than about winning -- when you know damn well that winning is the only thing that really matters in the end. You are paid great. You have highly trained personnel people to help evaluate and bring in talent. So many reasons for Brad Stevens or any other NBA coach to prefer the NBA.

There obviously are many positives about coaching in college, too. But there's a reason why successful NBA coaches don't go back to college while successful college coaches often go to the NBA.

Wasn't Dana Altman involved in the show scandle? Also he's a west coast guy can't imagine him heading to the south East.

Beard I could see if he got a couple more runs under him. Donovan is certainly an interesting candidate especially as I've read a few articles about his seat getting hot in the pros
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »

Or Billy Donovan?

Or Dana Altman?

Or Mark Few?

Or Chris Beard?

just my opinion, but I think in the eyes of Duke fans those guys wouldn't be worthy of the job but Stevens and his success at both the college and NBA level would be.

I personally don't think Stevens would leave the NBA. When he's done with the Celtics he'll be highly coveted anywhere else. He has been an exception to the rule of college coaches not being able to cut it at the NBA level (look at Beilein this year) so I think he stays in the league. But, if the elite program in American calls and maybe things are going a little sideways with Boston (it happens with everyone on the team makes more than the coach and egos get involved) he listens.  Besides, with a program like Duke you don't really have to recruit and has amenities on par with NBA teams (charters, private jet for recruiting, unlimited budget, etc.)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
I wonder who ends up replacing Boeheim at Syracuse.  That, too, will be an interesting coaching transition for sure.  As will Roy at UNC.

The ACC, in general, is on a collision course with substantial coaching turnover in the next couple of seasons.  Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, Larranaga and Hamilton are all in their 70's. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19:31 AM »
I wonder who ends up replacing Boeheim at Syracuse.  That, too, will be an interesting coaching transition for sure.  As will Roy at UNC.

The ACC, in general, is on a collision course with substantial coaching turnover in the next couple of seasons.  Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, Larranaga and Hamilton are all in their 70's.

my guess is Hopkins, long-time assistant currently at Washington.  He still runs the 2-3 zone out there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »

Buzz’s next job. At some point, he might want to take over an elite job versus a train wreck.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »
just my opinion, but I think in the eyes of Duke fans those guys wouldn't be worthy of the job but Stevens and his success at both the college and NBA level would be.

I personally don't think Stevens would leave the NBA. When he's done with the Celtics he'll be highly coveted anywhere else. He has been an exception to the rule of college coaches not being able to cut it at the NBA level (look at Beilein this year) so I think he stays in the league. But, if the elite program in American calls and maybe things are going a little sideways with Boston (it happens with everyone on the team makes more than the coach and egos get involved) he listens.  Besides, with a program like Duke you don't really have to recruit and has amenities on par with NBA teams (charters, private jet for recruiting, unlimited budget, etc.)

I am not at all saying that Brad Stevens would ignore overtures from Duke. I don't know, neither do you, neither does anybody else. Who knows? He might go to bed every night dreaming of leaving the NBA to take over Duke when K leaves.

I also agree that a person might want to leave any coaching job after X number of years. Phil Jackson often has talked about change being natural and good in that profession.

All I am saying is that there are plenty of other choices.

You really think that if Duke landed Jay Freakin' Wright, he "wouldn't be worthy of the job" in the eyes of Dookie fans? Or Mark Few? Really?

I doubt either would even be interested ... but either makes every bit as much sense as Stevens does, and either would do just as good a job.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
I am not at all saying that Brad Stevens would ignore overtures from Duke. I don't know, neither do you, neither does anybody else. Who knows? He might go to bed every night dreaming of leaving the NBA to take over Duke when K leaves.

I also agree that a person might want to leave any coaching job after X number of years. Phil Jackson often has talked about change being natural and good in that profession.

All I am saying is that there are plenty of other choices.

You really think that if Duke landed Jay Freakin' Wright, he "wouldn't be worthy of the job" in the eyes of Dookie fans? Or Mark Few? Really?

I doubt either would even be interested ... but either makes every bit as much sense as Stevens does, and either would do just as good a job.

Duke fans are on a different level with their arrogance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2020, 12:50:40 PM »
Duke fans are on a different level with their arrogance.

Interesting non-answer.

Neither of us will be able to say he was proven "right" or "wrong," but I respectfully disagree that the majority of Duke fans would be horrified if the school hired Wright or Few.