[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 54073 times)

Goatherder

• Starter
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »
Also - what if: If Wojo ends up taking the VCU job (East coast, strong A10 program and Capel, former Duke assistant, had success there) once Shaka got hired by MU.

Wojo was not going to take the VCU job.  He had been offered plenty of head coaching jobs before taking Marquette.  He would not have to settle for VCU.  Maybe Wojo leaves to succeed Coach K, maybe he gets hired by another program, maybe the board's habitual late night car alarm gets his wet dream, or maybe he stays at Marquette for a long time, perhaps a career.  That is at least a possibility at Marquette.  It was not going to happen at VCU.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2020, 05:56:47 PM »
Considering Buzz’s eccentricities and vagabond tendencies, it’s easy to see why Wojo, 20 year Duke mainstay and all-around Stepford Coach, was hired.  Martin isn’t the same as Buzz, but they’re cut from a similar cloth, and I can understand how his interview might’ve gone poorly.  If he was interviewing in 2008 post-Crean, it might’ve been a different story.  Cuonzo interviewed at the wrong time, but I didn’t think he was the right guy anyway.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
Of course, MU isn't going to put anyone down after an interview publicly.  Thing is, did Martin even want the job?  I have problems with hearsay because a lot of times the teller of the information wants only a certain portion of the info to get out.  If Martin did turn it down, then of course MU would say he didn't interview well (rumor mill).  And of course, the guy they hire, will surely impress as well.  So I take it with a grain of salt.  Regardless, it doesn't matter at this point.  Although, I would have loved to have been in the interview process.  Maybe Cuonzo did poorly, but Cal and Missouri hired him, so there is that counterpoint.

Cal hired him and what happened?

He left after three years.  Just as he left Tennessee after 3 years.  As he left Miss State after 3 years.  Like a clock.

He took over at Cal for Mike Montgomery...a very solid coach in a piss poor conference.  One NCAA tournament in three years...sounds a lot like Wojo except Martin took over a program that went deep into the NIT and has marshmallow soft Pac 12 competition.

Missouri....Cuonzo in year three is struggling...year two was a disaster and this year not very good.  Lost to 314th ranked Charleston Southern. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
Wojo was not going to take the VCU job.  He had been offered plenty of head coaching jobs before taking Marquette.  He would not have to settle for VCU.  Maybe Wojo leaves to succeed Coach K, maybe he gets hired by another program, maybe the board's habitual late night car alarm gets his wet dream, or maybe he stays at Marquette for a long time, perhaps a career.  That is at least a possibility at Marquette.  It was not going to happen at VCU.

not a chance.  Honestly, if K were to retire at the end of this year the guy I think they go all in on is Brad Stevens.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
The other name that people seem to forget during #DoneDeal is Ben Howland.  Ironically, he's had the same success as Wojo/Smart.  All 3 have been mediocre.  The 2 hires that year that have produced the most are Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl.

Ben Howland is at MS State. Even Howland haters have to admit that Marquette is a waaaaaaaay way waaaaaaaaaay better job.

Also, Gregg Marshall was floated around. And I swear Jamie Dixon was too (somebody saw him at the Pfister or something)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
Of course, MU isn't going to put anyone down after an interview publicly.  Thing is, did Martin even want the job?  I have problems with hearsay because a lot of times the teller of the information wants only a certain portion of the info to get out.  If Martin did turn it down, then of course MU would say he didn't interview well (rumor mill).  And of course, the guy they hire, will surely impress as well.  So I take it with a grain of salt.  Regardless, it doesn't matter at this point.  Although, I would have loved to have been in the interview process.  Maybe Cuonzo did poorly, but Cal and Missouri hired him, so there is that counterpoint.

Did Martin want the job? Definitely. Remember, he was under heavy fire at Tennessee. He wanted out and the fanbase wanted him out. Marquette was the first place he went, but ultimately, he just wanted any job other than UT, which is why he went to Cal right after. Look at the timeline...

He was desperate to get out, when it was obvious Marquette was going to hire Wojo, he pulled his name and tried to save face at UT while continuing to seek another job. You can take it with a grain of salt all you want, but I don't think anyone in the know would dispute that the interview process made it quickly clear that admin wasn't interested in Martin and did want Wojo. All the circumstantial reporting confirms what is pretty well known around campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
Did Martin want the job? Definitely. Remember, he was under heavy fire at Tennessee. He wanted out and the fanbase wanted him out. Marquette was the first place he went, but ultimately, he just wanted any job other than UT, which is why he went to Cal right after. Look at the timeline...

He was desperate to get out, when it was obvious Marquette was going to hire Wojo, he pulled his name and tried to save face at UT while continuing to seek another job. You can take it with a grain of salt all you want, but I don't think anyone in the know would dispute that the interview process made it quickly clear that admin wasn't interested in Martin and did want Wojo. All the circumstantial reporting confirms what is pretty well known around campus.

Or you can look at it as:  Martin said no, which put MU in the position of scrambling to hire someone with no head coaching experience.  I mean.....who's left after Shaka, Martin, in their eyes?   That's a pretty desperate situation to be in, especially when hiring options are almost nil. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 06:29:02 PM »
Or you can look at it as:  Martin said no, which put MU in the position of scrambling to hire someone with no head coaching experience.  I mean.....who's left after Shaka, Martin, in their eyes?   That's a pretty desperate situation to be in, especially when hiring options are almost nil.

If your entire dream is to hate Wojo, you can believe that. No one else close to campus believe it, but if you want to believe that, knock yourself out. It's a complete fiction of your own invention, but feel free.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »

So the Cal job, paying way less and a long way from his recruiting base was better?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2020, 06:31:14 PM »
Ben Howland is at MS State. Even Howland haters have to admit that Marquette is a waaaaaaaay way waaaaaaaaaay better job.

Also, Gregg Marshall was floated around. And I swear Jamie Dixon was too (somebody saw him at the Pfister or something)

Howland wanted the job but after what happened at UCLA MU didn't want him.

Dixon? Not a chance considering they wanted the anti-Buzz and Dixon is not that.  Marshall? Maybe, but it's more likely both he and Dixon were message board pipe dreams. 

That's the fun part of coaching searches, especially having been involved in them - names get reported as candidates or even having been offered when in reality they were never even considered. I had to laugh at one newspaper report saying a legendary player was under consideration for a job for which I was serving on a committee when the reality was there was someone else with the same first name that was a candidate, but the individual the paper said was a finalist.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »

So your saying Marquette just got really lucky.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
Howland wanted the job but after what happened at UCLA MU didn't want him.

Dixon? Not a chance considering they wanted the anti-Buzz and Dixon is not that.  Marshall? Maybe, but it's more likely both he and Dixon were message board pipe dreams. 

That's the fun part of coaching searches, especially having been involved in them - names get reported as candidates or even having been offered when in reality they were never even considered. I had to laugh at one newspaper report saying a legendary player was under consideration for a job for which I was serving on a committee when the reality was there was someone else with the same first name that was a candidate, but the individual the paper said was a finalist.

Precisely.  It's almost a waste of time to analyze the process of the hire.  There's so much disinformation out there.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
i wonder what the mrs. thinks about milwaukee/MU now?   ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
i wonder what the mrs. thinks about milwaukee/MU now?   ;)

She’s living in Austin. She’s fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »
She’s living in Austin. She’s fine.

didn't ask where she was, but you and the mrs. pretty tight then, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »
Cal hired him and what happened?

He left after three years.  Just as he left Tennessee after 3 years.  As he left Miss State after 3 years.  Like a clock.

He took over at Cal for Mike Montgomery...a very solid coach in a piss poor conference.  One NCAA tournament in three years...sounds a lot like Wojo except Martin took over a program that went deep into the NIT and has marshmallow soft Pac 12 competition.

Missouri....Cuonzo in year three is struggling...year two was a disaster and this year not very good.  Lost to 314th ranked Charleston Southern.

Each of those was a step up.  Of course he went from Missouri State to Tennessee.  Who wouldn't?  He actually did well at Tennessee, but the locals were pining for Bruce Pearl.  I do not blame him for wanting to go somewhere he was actually wanted.  And the move to Missouri was a return home.  Time will tell how well he does there, but lots of coaches have done worse.  I think the expectation of many that coaches turn teams around in three years or less is unrealistic and foolish, but fan is short for fanatic. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »
Each of those was a step up.  Of course he went from Missouri State to Tennessee.  Who wouldn't?  He actually did well at Tennessee, but the locals were pining for Bruce Pearl.  I do not blame him for wanting to go somewhere he was actually wanted.  And the move to Missouri was a return home.  Time will tell how well he does there, but lots of coaches have done worse.  I think the expectation of many that coaches turn teams around in three years or less is unrealistic and foolish, but fan is short for fanatic. 

Missouri was getting out while he could.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »
Missouri was getting out while he could.
Mizzou is a better job than Cal.  It's in the same tier as MU.  Not to mention, Martin grew up in St. Louis so it's probably his dream job.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
not a chance.  Honestly, if K were to retire at the end of this year the guy I think they go all in on is Brad Stevens.

Been saying that for five years
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »

Dude....MU after the interview process wanted Wojo more than Martin.  It is that simple.  When it came down to the final few candidates, Wojo was the guy they wanted and got.  Coach K’s endorsement also went a long way if you know what was going on.

That doesn’t mean Wojo was candidate one when abuzz left...he wasn’t.  But after the dust settled and it became go time, he was the guy.  Martin was able to save face.  Stop with the BS

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
Precisely.  It's almost a waste of time to analyze the process of the hire.  There's so much disinformation out there.

No, at this point years later and who knows whom, there isn’t much disinformation any longer.  In the fog of war...yes.  After, no.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2020, 08:38:37 PM »

Been saying that for five years

Stevens has at worst a top-5 job in the NBA. I don't think any college job would interest him in the least, especially considering his reputation for not being enamored with the recruiting process.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2020, 08:58:05 PM »

I don’t begrudge him for taking a step up, but Cal isn’t a step up from Tennessee.  I remember the UT fans wanting Pearl out and my biggest concern back at the time was he would go to Mizzou first chance he could.  That proved to be true from Cal.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »

If, God forbid, something would happen to coach K mid season, and Wojo made himself available, I could see Duke seriously considering him. He might be in their top 5.   Closer to 1 or 5  I'm not sure. As someone who would prefer the continuity of Wojo and this incoming class, I would be very nervous.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »
If, God forbid, something would happen to coach K mid season, and Wojo made himself available, I could see Duke seriously considering him. He might be in their top 5.   Closer to 1 or 5  I'm not sure. As someone who would prefer the continuity of Wojo and this incoming class, I would be very nervous.

At least put a hyperlink somewhere if you want to capture the essence of a clickbait topic.