'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Feel bad for Henry  (Read 11917 times)

muguru

• All American
Feel bad for Henry
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
I'm sure this is not what he had in mind for his one and done season at MU. Kid played his ass off and was a special Freshman. The "this team was young" excuse is old and tired...3 of the youngest teams in the NCAA(younger than MU) or either going to the NCAAs(Farleigh Dickenson), or close(Ohio St & Washington). What a waste of a one and done's college career. To my knowledge none of them had a top 10 recruit. So it must be something else that they could make the NCAA's, or get close and MU was no where near close. Henry deserved better.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

forgetful

• All American
Re: Feel bad for Henry
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
So, I've thought about this also, and I don't know if I feel bad for him.  If he wants to play in the NCAA's he could stay another year.

If he wanted to go to the NCAA's this year, he could have went to another team, but with his weaknesses in defense and shot selection, he wouldn't have gotten much playing time on Blue-blood teams (at least in comparison to his minutes at MU).  So no situation would be perfect.

Ideally we made the NCAAs, but that wasn't a strong possibility with our roster.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
He should stay and play.  He has a lot of room for improvement and could learn to dominate in a couple years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
I'm sure this is not what he had in mind for his one and done season at MU. Kid played his ass off and was a special Freshman. The "this team was young" excuse is old and tired...3 of the youngest teams in the NCAA(younger than MU) or either going to the NCAAs(Farleigh Dickenson), or close(Ohio St & Washington). What a waste of a one and done's college career. To my knowledge none of them had a top 10 recruit. So it must be something else that they could make the NCAA's, or get close and MU was no where near close. Henry deserved better.

It's not an excuse.  It's a legitimate reason.  OSU and Washington are likely not going to make the tournament.  Both of them had higher ranked freshmen classes than MU did.  (According to 247)  Ohio State also had a top 10 class in 2015.

Furthermore Washington is coached by a guy with 20 seasons experience.  Matta has 15.  Wojo has 2.  All of that makes a difference.

I have no idea what's up with Farleigh-Dickenson, nor do I particularly care.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
I give Henry my thanks for an exciting season.

But I don't feel bad for a kid that gets free schooling to play a game he loves, and get the choice between making millions or more free schooling in a few short weeks.  HE will be just fine.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »
I don't feel too bad.  He was able to showcase himself and have a decision whether or not to go pro, play with his brother, likely have his family participate and have a ton of fun.  The risk with going to a non-top tier school was what played out - particularly this year.  On the flip side we just proved to a bunch of one and done players that you can play your way into the NBA from anywhere if you are that good...

Next time we get one like HE we won't deprive him of the tourney I hope.  talk about bad timing - Outside of last year HE would be the difference in making a run to the final four in most years in the last decade for MU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »

It's not an excuse.  It's a legitimate reason.  OSU and Washington are likely not going to make the tournament.  Both of them had higher ranked freshmen classes than MU did.  (According to 247)  Ohio State also had a top 10 class in 2015.

Furthermore Washington is coached by a guy with 20 seasons experience.  Matta has 15.  Wojo has 2.  All of that makes a difference.

Sorry...I don't buy the Wojo being a young Coach excuse either...Buzz was a young Head Coach and he did just fine. At the very least he needs a serious revamping of his staff. His game plans have no creativity, no wrinkles, nothing...do the Coaches even watch film?? Buzz and TC always had some wrinkles to adjust to their opponent...Wojo's got nothing.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »

But I don't feel bad for a kid that gets free schooling to play a game he loves, and get the choice between making millions or more free schooling in a few short weeks.  HE will be just fine.

This

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
Sorry...I don't buy the Wojo being a young Coach excuse either...Buzz was a young Head Coach and he did just fine. At the very least he needs a serious revamping of his staff. His game plans have no creativity, no wrinkles, nothing...do the Coaches even watch film?? Buzz and TC always had some wrinkles to adjust to their opponent...Wojo's got nothing.

Agreed, this is what worries me. When buzz was young and had the planets smallest team he managed to never get blown out in the old big east until the tourney against Georgetown. Nova, butler, Xavier - these were embarrassing losses. The kind you are OK with ewrly with a young team but hope to see growth and more competitiveness as the team grows.
I never played or coached basketball, so what am I missing that should give hope for next year and wojos system? Offense doesn't seem to be our main problem and not sure a short stellar three point shooter can help us keep teams under 90.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
Agreed, this is what worries me. When buzz was young and had the planets smallest team he managed to never get blown out in the old big east until the tourney against Georgetown.

Everyone loves bringing that 09-10 team up. Yes, they were short. But Lazar had man's body. He could move guys down low. Who on this team is built like that?

And that team shot the three at an elite level that season. This team cannot.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
Buzz never had to start 3 freshmen, either.

Regardless, the comparisons only go so far. Different rosters, different experience, different coaches. This fact is, Marquette improved 4 games from a year ago. If Wojo can do close to the same again next year, the argument will be moot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Everyone loves bringing that 09-10 team up. Yes, they were short. But Lazar had man's body. He could move guys down low. Who on this team is built like that?

And that team shot the three at an elite level that season. This team cannot.

That team also had 4 players who played in the NBA on it. How many did this one have ?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »

Buzz had two years of senior dominated teams his first two years.  I don't disagree with the idea that he needs more experience on his staff, but what Buzz walked into was A LOT better than what Wojo walked into.

And Buzz might just be a better coach.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
Yes, that's my biggest lament about what Buzz had - players with Men's bodies and attitudes. They were physical and hard nosed, and I know he didn't recruit Hayward, but he brought in Jimmy, DJO and Crowder. He's guys were solid and played good D, rarely got blown out. I like the guys on our team now, but none of them seem to have potential to out rebound out hustle Buzz's type. This is probably an emotional overreaction, but Wojos' team that he built/is building is so soft. They might be great high school guys, but his recruiting targets don't appear to be building strong teams. We have seven footers that have been trained to stick arms up - is there a less intimidating pair of big guys to attack for guards in the country? So, are our players soft or are they coached to be soft?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
Buzz had two years of senior dominated teams his first two years.  I don't disagree with the idea that he needs more experience on his staff, but what Buzz walked into was A LOT better than what Wojo walked into.

But Buzz also chose to not allow MU to have any down years(except his last one), by bringing in Jucos...Wojo doesn't seem to care for that, not sure why? Think of how much better this team would have been with a Jimmy Butler type or DJO. Yet Wojo seemed to ignore the Juco ranks altogether. As a Head Coach, you have a responsibility to the fans, alumni etc to make the team as good as you possibly can...that means using every avenue possible to you...but he essentially ignored the JUCO ranks. Sorry, but to me, that's irresponsible.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »

Interesting to think about what Buzz walked into at VT vs what he left Wojo. VT had a 10 season and by all accounts his program was not good. Maybe he didn't do it "the right way." Not even sure where I'm going with this- I want Wojo to win and succeed, just worried he might not be a great coach and might not realize it. Hopefully he gets some experience on the staff. I'm probably spoiled because Crean and Buzz were young and both had success at MU. Just can't believe we have a team with so much paper on talent that gets blown out so frequently. We have freshmen, but Luke, JJJ, And Duane were all top 100s with experience and Henry is top 5. But, maybe next year they will gel as grown men.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »

FDU, are you kidding, they won't last for the first half of the first game.
The NCAA includes teams like this to create March Madness, but they have no chance of advancing, none, zero, zip...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
But Buzz also chose to not allow MU to have any down years(except his last one), by bringing in Jucos...Wojo doesn't seem to care for that, not sure why? Think of how much better this team would have been with a Jimmy Butler type or DJO. Yet Wojo seemed to ignore the Juco ranks altogether. As a Head Coach, you have a responsibility to the fans, alumni etc to make the team as good as you possibly can...that means using every avenue possible to you...but he essentially ignored the JUCO ranks. Sorry, but to me, that's irresponsible.

Dude, you know that MU's administration isn't keen on Jucos.  It has been well documented.  So I don't think you can place blame on Wojo for that when he has his hands tied. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

How do you feel about Ben Simmons?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
FDU, are you kidding, they won't last for the first half of the first game.
The NCAA includes teams like this to create March Madness, but they have no chance of advancing, none, zero, zip...

I get that...my whole point was other teams younger than MU are either A. In the NCAA tourney, or in the case of OSU and Washington... a lot closer to getting in than MU was...so the youth excuse just doesn't fly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »
Interesting to think about what Buzz walked into at VT vs what he left Wojo. VT had a 10 season and by all accounts his program was not good. Maybe he didn't do it "the right way." Not even sure where I'm going with this- I want Wojo to win and succeed, just worried he might not be a great coach and might not realize it. Hopefully he gets some experience on the staff. I'm probably spoiled because Crean and Buzz were young and both had success at MU. Just can't believe we have a team with so much paper on talent that gets blown out so frequently. We have freshmen, but Luke, JJJ, And Duane were all top 100s with experience and Henry is top 5. But, maybe next year they will gel as grown men.

Hey I'm certainly not saying Wojo is a great coach.  I would be lying if I said I didn't have concerns.  He has to grow into the job too.  I HOPE he can do it but I think his grade is incomplete in many aspects of his job.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
I don't feel too bad.  He was able to showcase himself and have a decision whether or not to go pro, play with his brother, likely have his family participate and have a ton of fun.  The risk with going to a non-top tier school was what played out - particularly this year.  On the flip side we just proved to a bunch of one and done players that you can play your way into the NBA from anywhere if you are that good...

Next time we get one like HE we won't deprive him of the tourney I hope.  talk about bad timing - Outside of last year HE would be the difference in making a run to the final four in most years in the last decade for MU

How true, but he might stay.  The hand shake at the end of the game with Wojo did not look like a good by hand shake.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
Trying to bring this back to the title of the thread ...

I don't feel even one iota of an iota of an iota bad for Henry.

He was a big part of everything this team was: great at times, crap at times, in between at times. He was fun to watch at times and exasperating at times. He did more good than bad, just like his 20-13 team. He was the best player on the team, so he wasn't as exasperating as the third- or fifth- or seventh-best player on the team.

I'm glad we got him. He was good for the program overall and good for this particular team.

In return, he got 35 minutes a game, a green light to shoot on every possession from anywhere on the floor, a chance to win most games, the right to play in front of family and home-state friends, and an experience that will help him be a top-10 draft pick worth a guaranteed 8-figure contract.

Seems like both sides got a pretty fair deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 10:27:12 PM »
How true, but he might stay.  The hand shake at the end of the game with Wojo did not look like a good by hand shake.....

Stop

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »
Feel bad for Henry? He has 3 years left. If the tourney is important to him he can come back and join a special team.

I'd feel bad for a guy like JJJ more than Henry. He joins us right after sweet 16, 16 and elite 8. Now 3 years for him of nothing.

That's if we were to feel bad
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »

Do you think if you repeat the lie enough it becomes true?

Wojo went after several JUCO players, he didn't land any of them.  They were not ignored.   Like it or not, Jae would not be admitted to MU any longer. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 11:58:35 PM »
I do wonder how Henry would of fared in Al's star system. Al built his offense around his star player.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 12:07:07 AM »
good question . but didn't Al feature his upper classmen?  Don't know what he would have done with a McD level player

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Do you feel bad for Ben Simmons?  That despite ESPN's best hyping all season long, LSU has virtually no shot of making the NCAA Tournament.  MU's future looks bright.  JJJ really turned the corner in the last 6-8 weeks in a way like we saw when Vander Blue started his junior year.  Next year we're going to have some serious guard depth.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 05:35:17 AM »
I do wonder how Henry would of fared in Al's star system. Al built his offense around his star player.
Someone posted some stats earlier, but I believe Henry was taking the highest percentage of a teams shots of any freshman in the country.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 05:49:10 AM »
The 09-10 team is a poor comparison. Listen, I loved Jimmy, Jae, DJO, and our other JUCOs, but it's well past time to accept we're not going that route anymore. Wojo is building his program on four year players.

09-10 had DJO, Jimmy, Fulce, and Buycks, the subsequent years had more. For us to have experienced players, they need to go through the system. Wojo is designing a program that will have to take lumps while waiting for guys to improve.

He tried getting grad transfers. Guessing players like Damion Lee and John Brown might be regretting their last chance decisions now, but it is what it is. Wojo swung and missed. Hopefully he has better luck next year. Our core is built to start competing next year with Buzz's holdovers as seniors, and start winning in 2017-18 when Wojo's players become upperclassmen.

This team improved a lot this year. Traci, JJ, and Cheatham all look like the types of guys that will win us a ton of games. But we struggled because we're young and the rest of the league really isn't. Worst case scenario, next year has similar results as we regroup without Henry. Best case, we're Seton Hall, winning with sophomores.

Buzz won by putting bandaids on the program. It was a ton of fun while it lasted, but we see the results of that style now. Wojo is taking a long term approach that will require more patience and offer less immediate gratification, but in the long run have a stronger, deeper core by developing guys in house.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
Personally I think HE should stay another year, he needs to work on his defense and 3pt shooting. I'm well aware he could do that in the NBA, but I don't think he would get any significant time on the floor during his rookie year. With that said, I wish him the best in whatever decision he makes in the upcoming weeks. Thanks Hank!!!  GO WARRIORS!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »

They play in the NEC.  'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:25:30 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
Henry, if he so chooses, is about to get paid an obscene amount of money doing what he loves.   I do not feel bad for him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 07:31:05 AM »
Henry, if he so chooses, is about to get paid an obscene amount of money doing what he loves.   I do not feel bad for him.

Tough joining the 1% at 19, hey

nyg

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 07:48:52 AM »

NBA pick #5 is 17 million for 4 years
NBA pick #8 is 13 million for 4 years

This is just an example in view of the fact most mocks have him going in that range.  Set for life.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
The 09-10 team is a poor comparison. Listen, I loved Jimmy, Jae, DJO, and our other JUCOs, but it's well past time to accept we're not going that route anymore. Wojo is building his program on four year players.

09-10 had DJO, Jimmy, Fulce, and Buycks, the subsequent years had more. For us to have experienced players, they need to go through the system. Wojo is designing a program that will have to take lumps while waiting for guys to improve.

He tried getting grad transfers. Guessing players like Damion Lee and John Brown might be regretting their last chance decisions now, but it is what it is. Wojo swung and missed. Hopefully he has better luck next year. Our core is built to start competing next year with Buzz's holdovers as seniors, and start winning in 2017-18 when Wojo's players become upperclassmen.

This team improved a lot this year. Traci, JJ, and Cheatham all look like the types of guys that will win us a ton of games. But we struggled because we're young and the rest of the league really isn't. Worst case scenario, next year has similar results as we regroup without Henry. Best case, we're Seton Hall, winning with sophomores.

Buzz won by putting bandaids on the program. It was a ton of fun while it lasted, but we see the results of that style now. Wojo is taking a long term approach that will require more patience and offer less immediate gratification, but in the long run have a stronger, deeper core by developing guys in house.

In the end the results were three sweet 16's, pretty good when you compare how many we had in the three decades leading up to that. Whether you bring in studs or recruit high school kids you generally have a two year window of greatness. Jucos can come in for two years and be studs right away, or you wait for high school kids to grow. the hard part is when the guards grow up and have to wait or hope for early development of a power forward and/or center. The three amigos were great, but as they got older they never had a complete starting five. Every team builds around a core and regroups: Syracuse, UNC, uconn all had runs in recent years and missed the tourney.
I'm not so concerned about if a coach brings in jucos or high school kids because both ways have highs and rebuilding periods, my biggest concern is wojo's teams (in my subjective fan no-facts opinion) don't seem to have the fire and hit the deck like Crean and Buzz's teams did. When Jose players lost, we still were the first on loose balls, taking charges, being gritty. We have had multiple moments of our guys looking at loose balls on the floor. Maybe that is young player communication that will improve? When was the last time someone was intimidated to play Duke because they were going to push you around? If you are soft on D and give up rebounds it is OK if you shoot lights out on the other end. We do neither and maybe both will change, but somehow the fire Wojo has doesn't come through on the court. Is it communication, the type of guys he has, or just youth?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
Yeah, it must suck to be 19 years old and on TV all the time and about to get paid millions for playing a child's game.  If you want to feel sorry for someone there are plenty of people out there with real problems.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:02 AM »
Stop

Was it like Vander's high-five?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
Would it have been cool if Henry was able to play in an NCAA tournament? Absolutely. Am I disappointed for him that he didn't get that opportunity? Sure.

But think about how good this situation was for Henry. He got to play at a university in his home state. He beat the in-state rival. MU recruited his brother Wally to the team so they could play together. He got to showcase his talent by playing massive minutes for a school in a major conference, averaged a double-double, and won Big East Freshman of the Year, and 1st Team All Conference honors. None of that would have happened at a Kentucky, Duke, or UNC. His year at MU has boosted his draft stock more than any blue blood would have.

Missing the NCAA is the only downside about his year at MU. Would have been nice. But I don't feel bad for him.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
I do not feel sorry for HE one bit. He gave it his all and on to bigger and better things. Either Soph year (which do not think is the case) or the NBA. I am very happy for the kid and appreciate his effort and talent.

Now, I do feel badly for the fans. Quite honestly having a McD AA, who performed better than most thought, really was not what I expected. A once in 25 year player played in one sold out home game, played to more empty seats than filled seats on some nights. If HE could bring a "real" buzz to fanbase I am not sure it can happen at MU.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
I do not feel sorry for HE one bit. He gave it his all and on to bigger and better things. Either Soph year (which do not think is the case) or the NBA. I am very happy for the kid and appreciate his effort and talent.

Now, I do feel badly for the fans. Quite honestly having a McD AA, who performed better than most thought, really was not what I expected. A once in 25 year player played in one sold out home game, played to more empty seats than filled seats on some nights. If HE could bring a "real" buzz to fanbase I am not sure it can happen at MU.
I wouldn't call him a once in 25 year player, unless you are referring to our frequency of McDonalds AAs.  Guys like Crowder and Butler from the last 5 years were better than Henry was taking everything into consideration (especially defense) in their final seasons at MU.  But I do agree it does feel like we wasted his one year with us. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »
CTWarrior

Get your point. My point on once in 25 year player is based off what could have been. His numbers are off the charts now and only would have increased each year. He would have put numbers that never would be broken if he stayed four years. Stick with my once in 25 year guy.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
Tough joining the 1% at 19, hey

More like the 0.1%.  The 1% making something like $400,000. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »

Your absolutely correct

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
In the end the results were three sweet 16's, pretty good when you compare how many we had in the three decades leading up to that. Whether you bring in studs or recruit high school kids you generally have a two year window of greatness. Jucos can come in for two years and be studs right away, or you wait for high school kids to grow. the hard part is when the guards grow up and have to wait or hope for early development of a power forward and/or center. The three amigos were great, but as they got older they never had a complete starting five. Every team builds around a core and regroups: Syracuse, UNC, uconn all had runs in recent years and missed the tourney.

I have no problem with Buzz's results. The reality is there are people among the powers that be at Marquette who didn't feel the results were worth the other concerns that came along with it. Personally, I look at JUCOs and grad transfers as the ideal band-aids. Build around your four-year guys, fill in holes with one and two year players.

I'm not so concerned about if a coach brings in jucos or high school kids because both ways have highs and rebuilding periods, my biggest concern is wojo's teams (in my subjective fan no-facts opinion) don't seem to have the fire and hit the deck like Crean and Buzz's teams did. When Jose players lost, we still were the first on loose balls, taking charges, being gritty. We have had multiple moments of our guys looking at loose balls on the floor. Maybe that is young player communication that will improve? When was the last time someone was intimidated to play Duke because they were going to push you around? If you are soft on D and give up rebounds it is OK if you shoot lights out on the other end. We do neither and maybe both will change, but somehow the fire Wojo has doesn't come through on the court. Is it communication, the type of guys he has, or just youth?

I think again this comes down to a different style. Buzz's teams always seemed to outwork the opposition, win or lose. But any team with a guy like Jae will always outwork the opposition, those guys are rare. Honestly, I think better teams tend to look like they work harder. Perfect example, look at Jajuan last year and this year. Last year, he went for a lot of loose balls or errant passes and came up short, which left him out of position on defense. Made him look like he just wasn't grasping what was going on.

Fast forward to this year. Jajuan is getting to balls he missed last year, timing his jumps much better, and turning what used to be misses into possessions. Jajuan looks like he is putting in that much more effort because you see the results of his effort. It isn't necessarily that he's giving more effort, he is just maximizing his opportunities better.

I think experience is huge here. It's not just effort, it's effort channeled in the right direction. I don't think kids like JJ, Traci, or Cheatham necessarily have any problems with not playing hard enough, but as they play smarter, it will look like they are also playing harder.

And if it doesn't happen and Wojo can't get that out of his team, then he'll be gone. My guess is he gets two more years almost regardless, and if there aren't results, we move on. We have the resources to attract quality candidates. Wojo was a quality candidate who could have had his pick of schools. Other successful coaches wanted this job. I'm confident we'll be fine, but because of the nature of this rebuild, it will take more time than we wanted. And if it doesn't work, someone else will rebuild it better.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
More like the 0.1%.  The 1% making something like $400,000.

You are talking Scoop Moderator money now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »

I don't care how much money you have, having tourney memories with your big brother can't be bought.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:22 PM »
I don't care how much money you have, having tourney memories with your big brother can't be bought.

Fine then, I'm pulling our sponsorship of the Benny B thunderdome.  Think of it as a memory that never happened - because you don't care about money.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 10:11:05 PM »
Trying to bring this back to the title of the thread ...

I don't feel even one iota of an iota of an iota bad for Henry.

He was a big part of everything this team was: great at times, crap at times, in between at times. He was fun to watch at times and exasperating at times. He did more good than bad, just like his 20-13 team. He was the best player on the team, so he wasn't as exasperating as the third- or fifth- or seventh-best player on the team.

I'm glad we got him. He was good for the program overall and good for this particular team.

In return, he got 35 minutes a game, a green light to shoot on every possession from anywhere on the floor, a chance to win most games, the right to play in front of family and home-state friends, and an experience that will help him be a top-10 draft pick worth a guaranteed 8-figure contract.

Seems like both sides got a pretty fair deal.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »

Actually, they can be. $50k will buy him tourney memories in the Vegas 16 with Wally.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 11:38:51 PM »
CTWarrior

Get your point. My point on once in 25 year player is based off what could have been. His numbers are off the charts now and only would have increased each year. He would have put numbers that never would be broken if he stayed four years. Stick with my once in 25 year guy.

Interesting question.  If you could go back to the start of the season and had you choice of Freshman year Henry, or Freshman year Dom, who would you take.

For this team, I'd take Dom.  Think we would have been an NCAA team with him.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »
Doing a quick search of mock drafts gives me hope HE will return.  I looked at 10 of them and only 2 had HE picked in the top 10.  If he's not a sure-fire top 10, why not gamble on yourself to improve?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 06:35:21 AM »
Interesting question.  If you could go back to the start of the season and had you choice of Freshman year Henry, or Freshman year Dom, who would you take.

For this team, I'd take Dom.  Think we would have been an NCAA team with him.

Replace Henry with Dom?    Who rebounds?    Who is coaching?     I cannot picture a team that consistently has Sandy, Wally, Sacar, JaJuan guarding the post as a tournament team.     Wasn't Dom made better by Steve Novak's presence?    If you cheated off Steve, 3 pointer.   If you didn't cheat, open driving lane. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »
Actually, they can be. $50k will buy him tourney memories in the Vegas 16 with Wally.

Thinkin' outside the box, Doe.  I like it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
Fine then, I'm pulling our sponsorship of the Benny B thunderdome.  Think of it as a memory that never happened - because you don't care about money.

No worries, I'll still name a restroom for you, Rocky.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
Not one ounce of sorrow for HE...I am more concerned about what will be left behind...I mean this Top 5 Lottery pick couldn't turn this team into one of the top 100 teams in the country...the cupboard must really be bare

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
AGRRED!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »
Not one ounce of sorrow for HE...I am more concerned about what will be left behind...I mean this Top 5 Lottery pick couldn't turn this team into one of the top 100 teams in the country...the cupboard must really be bare

He isn't a top 5 lottery pick. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »

Some of the mocks have him there, but I think you will be proven correct.  Lack of athleticism would make me nervous if I was a GM.  I do think he'll find a niche and be a very useful NBA player, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »
Any team that uses a lottery pick on him better be prepared to watch him struggle mightily on defense his first year. He is a tremendous offensive talent but was abused nightly by anyone 6-8 and muscular.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »

Just curious, where do you see him going?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »
...I mean this Top 5 Lottery pick couldn't turn this team into one of the top 100 teams in the country...

I know this is meant to troll, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's more than one NBA scout who's said the exact same thing in their head and wondered about which part might be untrue, the lottery part or the top 100 part.

Though in Henry's defense, they could also be saying the same thing about Ben Simmons.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
Any team that uses a lottery pick on him better be prepared to watch him struggle mightily on defense his first year. He is a tremendous offensive talent but was abused nightly by anyone 6-8 and muscular.

Dirk Nowitski has always struggled mightily on defense.  Is HE = Dirk?  Probably not, but IMO he could be a poor man's version.  His rookie season Nowitski shot 41% overall, 20% from 3, 77% from the line, and averaged 8.2 points in 21 minutes on a 19-31 Mavericks team.  HE's offense can carry him a long way if he can simply be not awful on D.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback