[Today at 01:25:20 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Feel bad for Henry  (Read 11916 times)

muguru

• All American
Feel bad for Henry
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
I'm sure this is not what he had in mind for his one and done season at MU. Kid played his ass off and was a special Freshman. The "this team was young" excuse is old and tired...3 of the youngest teams in the NCAA(younger than MU) or either going to the NCAAs(Farleigh Dickenson), or close(Ohio St & Washington). What a waste of a one and done's college career. To my knowledge none of them had a top 10 recruit. So it must be something else that they could make the NCAA's, or get close and MU was no where near close. Henry deserved better.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

forgetful

• All American
Re: Feel bad for Henry
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
So, I've thought about this also, and I don't know if I feel bad for him.  If he wants to play in the NCAA's he could stay another year.

If he wanted to go to the NCAA's this year, he could have went to another team, but with his weaknesses in defense and shot selection, he wouldn't have gotten much playing time on Blue-blood teams (at least in comparison to his minutes at MU).  So no situation would be perfect.

Ideally we made the NCAAs, but that wasn't a strong possibility with our roster.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
He should stay and play.  He has a lot of room for improvement and could learn to dominate in a couple years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
I'm sure this is not what he had in mind for his one and done season at MU. Kid played his ass off and was a special Freshman. The "this team was young" excuse is old and tired...3 of the youngest teams in the NCAA(younger than MU) or either going to the NCAAs(Farleigh Dickenson), or close(Ohio St & Washington). What a waste of a one and done's college career. To my knowledge none of them had a top 10 recruit. So it must be something else that they could make the NCAA's, or get close and MU was no where near close. Henry deserved better.

It's not an excuse.  It's a legitimate reason.  OSU and Washington are likely not going to make the tournament.  Both of them had higher ranked freshmen classes than MU did.  (According to 247)  Ohio State also had a top 10 class in 2015.

Furthermore Washington is coached by a guy with 20 seasons experience.  Matta has 15.  Wojo has 2.  All of that makes a difference.

I have no idea what's up with Farleigh-Dickenson, nor do I particularly care.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
I give Henry my thanks for an exciting season.

But I don't feel bad for a kid that gets free schooling to play a game he loves, and get the choice between making millions or more free schooling in a few short weeks.  HE will be just fine.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »
I don't feel too bad.  He was able to showcase himself and have a decision whether or not to go pro, play with his brother, likely have his family participate and have a ton of fun.  The risk with going to a non-top tier school was what played out - particularly this year.  On the flip side we just proved to a bunch of one and done players that you can play your way into the NBA from anywhere if you are that good...

Next time we get one like HE we won't deprive him of the tourney I hope.  talk about bad timing - Outside of last year HE would be the difference in making a run to the final four in most years in the last decade for MU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »

It's not an excuse.  It's a legitimate reason.  OSU and Washington are likely not going to make the tournament.  Both of them had higher ranked freshmen classes than MU did.  (According to 247)  Ohio State also had a top 10 class in 2015.

Furthermore Washington is coached by a guy with 20 seasons experience.  Matta has 15.  Wojo has 2.  All of that makes a difference.

I have no idea what's up with Farleigh-Dickenson, nor do I particularly care.

Sorry...I don't buy the Wojo being a young Coach excuse either...Buzz was a young Head Coach and he did just fine. At the very least he needs a serious revamping of his staff. His game plans have no creativity, no wrinkles, nothing...do the Coaches even watch film?? Buzz and TC always had some wrinkles to adjust to their opponent...Wojo's got nothing.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
I give Henry my thanks for an exciting season.

But I don't feel bad for a kid that gets free schooling to play a game he loves, and get the choice between making millions or more free schooling in a few short weeks.  HE will be just fine.

This

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
Sorry...I don't buy the Wojo being a young Coach excuse either...Buzz was a young Head Coach and he did just fine. At the very least he needs a serious revamping of his staff. His game plans have no creativity, no wrinkles, nothing...do the Coaches even watch film?? Buzz and TC always had some wrinkles to adjust to their opponent...Wojo's got nothing.

Agreed, this is what worries me. When buzz was young and had the planets smallest team he managed to never get blown out in the old big east until the tourney against Georgetown. Nova, butler, Xavier - these were embarrassing losses. The kind you are OK with ewrly with a young team but hope to see growth and more competitiveness as the team grows.
I never played or coached basketball, so what am I missing that should give hope for next year and wojos system? Offense doesn't seem to be our main problem and not sure a short stellar three point shooter can help us keep teams under 90.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
Agreed, this is what worries me. When buzz was young and had the planets smallest team he managed to never get blown out in the old big east until the tourney against Georgetown.

Everyone loves bringing that 09-10 team up. Yes, they were short. But Lazar had man's body. He could move guys down low. Who on this team is built like that?

And that team shot the three at an elite level that season. This team cannot.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
Buzz never had to start 3 freshmen, either.

Regardless, the comparisons only go so far. Different rosters, different experience, different coaches. This fact is, Marquette improved 4 games from a year ago. If Wojo can do close to the same again next year, the argument will be moot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Everyone loves bringing that 09-10 team up. Yes, they were short. But Lazar had man's body. He could move guys down low. Who on this team is built like that?

And that team shot the three at an elite level that season. This team cannot.

That team also had 4 players who played in the NBA on it. How many did this one have ?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »

Buzz had two years of senior dominated teams his first two years.  I don't disagree with the idea that he needs more experience on his staff, but what Buzz walked into was A LOT better than what Wojo walked into.

And Buzz might just be a better coach.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
Yes, that's my biggest lament about what Buzz had - players with Men's bodies and attitudes. They were physical and hard nosed, and I know he didn't recruit Hayward, but he brought in Jimmy, DJO and Crowder. He's guys were solid and played good D, rarely got blown out. I like the guys on our team now, but none of them seem to have potential to out rebound out hustle Buzz's type. This is probably an emotional overreaction, but Wojos' team that he built/is building is so soft. They might be great high school guys, but his recruiting targets don't appear to be building strong teams. We have seven footers that have been trained to stick arms up - is there a less intimidating pair of big guys to attack for guards in the country? So, are our players soft or are they coached to be soft?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
Buzz had two years of senior dominated teams his first two years.  I don't disagree with the idea that he needs more experience on his staff, but what Buzz walked into was A LOT better than what Wojo walked into.

But Buzz also chose to not allow MU to have any down years(except his last one), by bringing in Jucos...Wojo doesn't seem to care for that, not sure why? Think of how much better this team would have been with a Jimmy Butler type or DJO. Yet Wojo seemed to ignore the Juco ranks altogether. As a Head Coach, you have a responsibility to the fans, alumni etc to make the team as good as you possibly can...that means using every avenue possible to you...but he essentially ignored the JUCO ranks. Sorry, but to me, that's irresponsible.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »

Interesting to think about what Buzz walked into at VT vs what he left Wojo. VT had a 10 season and by all accounts his program was not good. Maybe he didn't do it "the right way." Not even sure where I'm going with this- I want Wojo to win and succeed, just worried he might not be a great coach and might not realize it. Hopefully he gets some experience on the staff. I'm probably spoiled because Crean and Buzz were young and both had success at MU. Just can't believe we have a team with so much paper on talent that gets blown out so frequently. We have freshmen, but Luke, JJJ, And Duane were all top 100s with experience and Henry is top 5. But, maybe next year they will gel as grown men.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »

FDU, are you kidding, they won't last for the first half of the first game.
The NCAA includes teams like this to create March Madness, but they have no chance of advancing, none, zero, zip...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
But Buzz also chose to not allow MU to have any down years(except his last one), by bringing in Jucos...Wojo doesn't seem to care for that, not sure why? Think of how much better this team would have been with a Jimmy Butler type or DJO. Yet Wojo seemed to ignore the Juco ranks altogether. As a Head Coach, you have a responsibility to the fans, alumni etc to make the team as good as you possibly can...that means using every avenue possible to you...but he essentially ignored the JUCO ranks. Sorry, but to me, that's irresponsible.

Dude, you know that MU's administration isn't keen on Jucos.  It has been well documented.  So I don't think you can place blame on Wojo for that when he has his hands tied. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

How do you feel about Ben Simmons?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
FDU, are you kidding, they won't last for the first half of the first game.
The NCAA includes teams like this to create March Madness, but they have no chance of advancing, none, zero, zip...

I get that...my whole point was other teams younger than MU are either A. In the NCAA tourney, or in the case of OSU and Washington... a lot closer to getting in than MU was...so the youth excuse just doesn't fly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »
Interesting to think about what Buzz walked into at VT vs what he left Wojo. VT had a 10 season and by all accounts his program was not good. Maybe he didn't do it "the right way." Not even sure where I'm going with this- I want Wojo to win and succeed, just worried he might not be a great coach and might not realize it. Hopefully he gets some experience on the staff. I'm probably spoiled because Crean and Buzz were young and both had success at MU. Just can't believe we have a team with so much paper on talent that gets blown out so frequently. We have freshmen, but Luke, JJJ, And Duane were all top 100s with experience and Henry is top 5. But, maybe next year they will gel as grown men.

Hey I'm certainly not saying Wojo is a great coach.  I would be lying if I said I didn't have concerns.  He has to grow into the job too.  I HOPE he can do it but I think his grade is incomplete in many aspects of his job.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
I don't feel too bad.  He was able to showcase himself and have a decision whether or not to go pro, play with his brother, likely have his family participate and have a ton of fun.  The risk with going to a non-top tier school was what played out - particularly this year.  On the flip side we just proved to a bunch of one and done players that you can play your way into the NBA from anywhere if you are that good...

Next time we get one like HE we won't deprive him of the tourney I hope.  talk about bad timing - Outside of last year HE would be the difference in making a run to the final four in most years in the last decade for MU

How true, but he might stay.  The hand shake at the end of the game with Wojo did not look like a good by hand shake.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
Trying to bring this back to the title of the thread ...

I don't feel even one iota of an iota of an iota bad for Henry.

He was a big part of everything this team was: great at times, crap at times, in between at times. He was fun to watch at times and exasperating at times. He did more good than bad, just like his 20-13 team. He was the best player on the team, so he wasn't as exasperating as the third- or fifth- or seventh-best player on the team.

I'm glad we got him. He was good for the program overall and good for this particular team.

In return, he got 35 minutes a game, a green light to shoot on every possession from anywhere on the floor, a chance to win most games, the right to play in front of family and home-state friends, and an experience that will help him be a top-10 draft pick worth a guaranteed 8-figure contract.

Seems like both sides got a pretty fair deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 10:27:12 PM »
How true, but he might stay.  The hand shake at the end of the game with Wojo did not look like a good by hand shake.....

Stop

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »
Feel bad for Henry? He has 3 years left. If the tourney is important to him he can come back and join a special team.

I'd feel bad for a guy like JJJ more than Henry. He joins us right after sweet 16, 16 and elite 8. Now 3 years for him of nothing.

That's if we were to feel bad
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback