[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ohio State Matchup/Prediction  (Read 11865 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Ohio State Matchup/Prediction
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Anyone studied OSU's roster yet?  Strengths/Weaknesses?

What's everyone's expectation for this game?  I assume 95% of us think we will lose - but what would you consider encouraging or a moral victory of sorts?

I feel if we are competitive throughout, that the game is never in a blow out status - and we lose by less than 8, that will be a moral victory.  Lose by more than 20 - that would be quite disheartening.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Ohio State Matchup/Prediction
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
Marquette lost by 17 points and score a total of 35 last season at the Bradley Center.  The bar for improvement is pretty low.  I anticipate Marquette coming out guns blazing and winning in overtime.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
This is going to be a very scary game this early on.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Last year's game was the worst offensive performance by a MU team in the Modern Age.  Playing in Columbus may be an improvement actually.  I brought a friend to the BC for that game, and I don't think he will ever be back.  Brutal

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
Marquette lost by 17 points and score a total of 35 last season at the Bradley Center.  The bar for improvement is pretty low.  I anticipate Marquette coming out guns blazing and winning in overtime.

I am excited to see the new coach's game plan for Ohio. I suspect Wojo will play aggressively because it will offer the best chance for victory though I am not certain it will be enough as Ohio's strength is in the back court. Ohio has more size than skill up front but the guy they got from Temple, Lee,  will likely have a field day against Marquette. An interesting match up will be Burton v Tate. Both are undersized but play larger and stronger. Very similar players.

I think the night pivots on our talented, quick, inexperienced backcourt v Ohio's talented, aggressive, experienced guards. Ohio lost a lot when Craft and Smith graduated but I think Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson will be even better. Ohio has depth at the 1 and 2 so Marquette might struggle trying to outrun these guys.

I am cautiously hopeful that we can make shots and create opportunities because we won't beat Ohio otherwise.

Death on call

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
Were not going to win and most likely get blown out.

But its just game 2 with this team and I am just hoping we some encouraging things moving forward.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
Guessin' line will be about 11.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

What's everyone's expectation for this game?  I assume 95% of us think we will lose - but what would you consider encouraging or a moral victory of sorts?

I feel if we are competitive throughout, that the game is never in a blow out status - and we lose by less than 8, that will be a moral victory.  Lose by more than 20 - that would be quite disheartening.

PT will hopefully be posting one soon
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Guessin' line will be about 11.

I hope so, I'll make a whole bunch of money betting on OSU.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Pomeroy has us as 11 point dogs.  That being said, I think we turn them over enough to cover the rebounding margin and make it closer than that.  OSU by 8.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
I am excited to see the new coach's game plan for Ohio. I suspect Wojo will play aggressively because it will offer the best chance for victory though I am not certain it will be enough as Ohio's strength is in the back court. Ohio has more size than skill up front but the guy they got from Temple, Lee,  will likely have a field day against Marquette. An interesting match up will be Burton v Tate. Both are undersized but play larger and stronger. Very similar players.

I think the night pivots on our talented, quick, inexperienced backcourt v Ohio's talented, aggressive, experienced guards. Ohio lost a lot when Craft and Smith graduated but I think Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson will be even better. Ohio has depth at the 1 and 2 so Marquette might struggle trying to outrun these guys.

I am cautiously hopeful that we can make shots and create opportunities because we won't beat Ohio otherwise.

I would figure that you would refer to OSU as Ohio State and not stoop to Brady Hoke's silly antics. Where have Brady's gimmicks gotten him???

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
If we get in foul trouble early, this could get ugly in a hurry. I say OSU by 22, and I won't be pissed if it is one-sided. Save the great underdog effort for Wisky.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
I would figure that you would refer to OSU as Ohio State and not stoop to Brady Hoke's silly antics. Where have Brady's gimmicks gotten him???

The fallacy in your statement is in assuming Brady Hoke coined or even popularized the reference. Members of the Michigan community have long referred to the state college in Columbus as simply Ohio. St. Glenn often referred to them collectively as 'the Ohios.' Hoke was merely latching on to an existing convention that had traction among Michigan alums for decades.

Death on call

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »

Looks like they have a very talented freshman guard this year.  Also the transfer from Temple should be a strong player for them. Lots of size overall. I am glad we are playing them early in the season. Will provide good tough road experience we can draw on when the conference schedule starts. I would like to see us continue to execute the offensive concepts we did against UTM and less concerned with the final score.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »
Last year's game was the worst offensive performance by a MU team in the Modern Age.  Playing in Columbus may be an improvement actually.  I brought a friend to the BC for that game, and I don't think he will ever be back.  Brutal

I don't know, I saw several under O'Neill and Deane that fit that description.  MU against Syracuse was brutal as well.  Safe to say, it was definitely a major clunker.

OSU by 7

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
The fallacy in your statement is in assuming Brady Hoke coined or even popularized the reference. Members of the Michigan community have long referred to the state college in Columbus as simply Ohio. St. Glenn often referred to them collectively as 'the Ohios.' Hoke was merely latching on to an existing convention that had traction among Michigan alums for decades.

The fallacy in your statement is assuming that I assume that Brady Hoke coined or even popularized the reference. I don't recall even implying that, although I am sure you would acknowledge that Brady is the first coach to so refer to OSU since who knows when.

This is fun. We should continue.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
I don't know, I saw several under O'Neill and Deane that fit that description.  MU against Syracuse was brutal as well.  Safe to say, it was definitely a major clunker.

OSU by 7

Modern Age=Stats Age...you date yourself.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/stats?season1=1997&season2=2014&conf=&team=marquette&stat=points_possession_avg&low=1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
Modern Age=Stats Age...you date yourself.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/stats?season1=1997&season2=2014&conf=&team=marquette&stat=points_possession_avg&low=1

Apparently so....I thought for sure they kept stats back then.   :P   If I remember correctly, Statsheet only went back about 10 years a few years ago, so it seems they are working their way back.  Or maybe it was another site.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
The fallacy in your statement is assuming that I assume that Brady Hoke coined or even popularized the reference. I don't recall even implying that, although I am sure you would acknowledge that Brady is the first coach to so refer to OSU since who knows when.

This is fun. We should continue.

The tradition goes back the 1920's. We agree that Hoke latched on to it and used it more frequently than any other coach since Bo. I have been to UofM alumni events and speakers, including Lloyd Carr, dropped the convention into their pitches to great effect. After all, the point of alumni gatherings is to get people laughing and stirring up fond memories of their time in A squared before passing the hat.

What is silly is the far more recent convention of "The" Ohio State University. Ohioans began adding that meaningless emphasis in the late 80's to differentiate from other OSUs. It was explained that it was to underscore Ohio State's rising national stature. Frankly, it is little more than a cynical marketing ploy.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Apparently so....I thought for sure they kept stats back then.   :P   If I remember correctly, Statsheet only went back about 10 years a few years ago, so it seems they are working their way back.  Or maybe it was another site.

They added a bunch of years about two years ago...so this will be the 18th season. I think before this time, there are no digital histories so it is too sporadic with 300+ teams versus the pro leagues who people like Oliver were able to access.

Thank god Al Gore invented the Internet back then or we wouldn't have known that last year was just a version of the "17 Year Plague", not to be repeated for another generation, right?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »

What is silly is the far more recent convention of "The" Ohio State University.

The fallacy in your statement is nonexistent. I completely agree. Pretty ridiculous, to say the least.

Who is the next Michigan head coach? Stoops? Harbaugh? Miles? Someone else?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »
Ohio is the worst state in the union, no doubt.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
The fallacy in your statement is nonexistent. I completely agree. Pretty ridiculous, to say the least.

Who is the next Michigan head coach? Stoops? Harbaugh? Miles? Someone else?

The more I keep hearing Harbaugh (x2) and Miles in completely uninformed Michigan version of Scoop channels I am convinced it will be a wild card hire. I believe the new President is sincere in saying the Michigan pedigree is a tertiary consideration at best. He likes to point out that his lack of Michigan heritage was not a detriment in his training to leave Brown for U of M.

Interestingly, he is learning that athletics are more important in Ann Arbor than they ever were in Providence. Shades of Scotty II??

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/11/13/mark-schlissel-michigan-football/18963933/

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
I'm expecting a lot of 3s.

A lot of MU 3s.
SS Marquette