[Today at 09:14:48 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: would love your help  (Read 11859 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
OT: would love your help
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
Fellow “scoopers”, I have a HUGE favor to ask.

Back in August I got engaged to my girlfriend of 8 years. One of my best friends tweeted Buzz that night and asked him if he had any words of advice. To our surprise, Buzz/Corey responded and said we should pray out lout daily.

Fast forward to the present, my fiancé and I know we are going to need a sponsor couple for our marriage preparation classes that need to be completed in order to get married in the Catholic Church. Yesterday I tweeted TeamCoachBuzz and asked if they were interested. I think Buzz and Corey would be a great sponsor couple for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is that fact that they are both willing to talk about God and Faith in the media when it seems to be a bit of a taboo subject in this day and age.

Finally, the favor… I would greatly appreciate if any of you who are active on twitter would locate my tweet (my twitter handle/name is @zachquick) and either “favorite” the tweet or even re-tweet it.

I know this is a .1% chance this is actually going to happen, but I thought I would try it anyway.

Thanks for your help!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: OT: would love your help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
I don't think they are Catholic so can they sponsor an RC union?

Death on call

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
Fellow “scoopers”, I have a HUGE favor to ask.

Back in August I got engaged to my girlfriend of 8 years. One of my best friends tweeted Buzz that night and asked him if he had any words of advice. To our surprise, Buzz/Corey responded and said we should pray out lout daily.

Fast forward to the present, my fiancé and I know we are going to need a sponsor couple for our marriage preparation classes that need to be completed in order to get married in the Catholic Church. Yesterday I tweeted TeamCoachBuzz and asked if they were interested. I think Buzz and Corey would be a great sponsor couple for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is that fact that they are both willing to talk about God and Faith in the media when it seems to be a bit of a taboo subject in this day and age.

Finally, the favor… I would greatly appreciate if any of you who are active on twitter would locate my tweet (my twitter handle/name is @zachquick) and either “favorite” the tweet or even re-tweet it.

I know this is a .1% chance this is actually going to happen, but I thought I would try it anyway.

Thanks for your help!

They are not catholic so dont think it will happen. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »
This reminds me of my marriage prep class.

With the audience seated .. a couple walks out in front of us, holds hands and faces eachother and recites their wedding vows.  ("I, John, take you Mary to be my...")

Ok, I get it, that's ok to start a marriage class with that.  Corny, but ok.

Where it jumped the shark was when they explained THEY DID THAT EVERY MORNING.

That class was awful .. huge waste of time for everyone there, minus perhaps anyone who decided after the class they weren't cut out to get married to eachother, in which case, high five.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
We were married at Gesu by Corbett Walsh. I'm not RC but Fr. Walsh said that Anglicans were the same thing so I didn't need to jump through any hoops. We did have to go off to do the Marriage Encounter thing and I found the whole thing to be a waste.

The low point of the weekend was when we were given the sex talk by a staff member who was clearly uncomfortable with the material. This guy was red-faced and rambling on incoherently about clitoral stimulation. I had just finished primary flight training so I was used to sitting through absurd mind-screw lectures but this took insipid to a new low.

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
My God was that marriage class a waste of time. And, for that matter, the baby class we took before my first child was born was absolute torture. Just a bunch of expectant mothers bragging about what good care their taking of themselves but doing it in the form of a question:

"Is it OK that I'm taking long walks everyday?"

"I no longer drink caffeine, is that good for the baby?"

"Is it Ok that I won't, under any circumstances, get an epidural because I want to experience the joys of childbirth?"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
My God was that marriage class a waste of time. And, for that matter, the baby class we took before my first child was born was absolute torture. Just a bunch of expectant mothers bragging about what good care their taking of themselves but doing it in the form of a question:

"Is it Ok that I won't, under any circumstances, get an epidural because I want to experience the joys of childbirth?"

What did the instructor say when you asked about having sex up until the big day?

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »

Funny stuff, PRN. Christian Marriage was the worst class ever - the priest who taught it had a mental block and had trouble just saying the word "marriage". A laugh a minute.

Regarding Lamaz (sp?) classes, my wife and I endured a couple of them before dropping out. I promised that I wouldn't desert her or faint in the delivery room - and with that we decided that dinner out on Wednesday made more sense than the silly class.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
The low point of the weekend was when we were given the sex talk by a staff member who was clearly uncomfortable with the material. This guy was red-faced and rambling on incoherently about clitoral stimulation. I had just finished primary flight training so I was used to sitting through absurd mind-screw lectures but this took insipid to a new low.

Ahhhh, great memories!  A priest who took a vow of chastity explaining sex to us, and then another who took a vow of poverty explaining finances. 

I was waiting for a blind priest to explain what an elephant looked like, but alas, he must've been booked that week....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »
Ok question im very confused. I wasnt even aware marriage classes existed. What are they used for and why are they even around? Isnt it just plan the wedding go to the venue and do your thing and then your married?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
I understand why you think asking Buzz and Corey would be cool, but I would feel a little selfish asking such a big favor of a person who has so many other obligations.  It would be better asking someone you know.

As for our marriage prep class, it had many memorable moments.  It was a weekend at a retreat center.  Even after it specifically said not to bring any booze with us (which I thought was weird that they even had to specify that), a couple showed up with a big cooler full of beer in the back of the their pickup truck.  The male of the couple kept a Pepsi can full of vodka handy and drank out of it the entire weekend.  When the segment concerning Natural Family Planning came up, the female (no older than nineteen, tops, and at least a decade younger than her fiance) said sweetly, "Oh, we don't need to know about that.  We don't believe in birth control of any kind.  We plan on having at least eight kids."

I can't imagine a priest agreeing to perform the marriage for these two knuckleheads.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:20:41 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
Anyone else think it was odd that "Christian Marriage" was taught by a priest?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »

LOL.  New mothers are the worse!!    Love the humble brags.

" I just started excersising without consulting a doctor, is that good for me?"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:00:22 PM by esard2011 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
Ok question im very confused. I wasnt even aware marriage classes existed. What are they used for and why are they even around? Isnt it just plan the wedding go to the venue and do your thing and then your married?

Called Pre Cana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Cana

Best decision Mrs. Reinko and I did was springing the few extra bucks to do the one day session.  Whatever you do, stay away from the over nights.  Not only ruins a weekend, but you sleep in bunk bed with another adult male.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
Called Pre Cana.

Best decision Mrs. Reinko and I did was springing the few extra bucks to do the one day session.  Whatever you do, stay away from the over nights.  Not only ruins a weekend, but you sleep in bunk bed with another adult male.
Oh yeah. The one-day session is a must. My wife and I even had a hard time with that and had a beer and shot during lunch break with another couple (we had burgers, too). No offense to anyone, but if you enjoyed Pre Cana I don't want to be your friend.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Anyone else think it was odd that "Christian Marriage" was taught by a priest?

Don't know if it still the same, but back in my day the course was separate for men and women. Go figure. A good friend of mine told me that Father Mac started her class by asking all the girls to cross their legs. Having done that he proceeded to tell them "Now that the gates of hell have been closed we can begin."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
Called Pre Cana.

Ah, Pre Cana - lucked out there. I was married by a Jesuit who taught me in high school and our Pre Cana was beers and a burger.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

Gesu Parish made us take this class in order to get married there. They covered faith, sharing/caring, sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Hell, I didn't know this industry even existed. It was a Bataan Death March.

For guys, the whole wedding gig is way over the top. I'll be honest - I didn't care what music was played at Gesu. I had zero preference between the North Shore Country Club and Boder's on the River. Flowers, bridesmaid dresses, string quartets, appetizers, etc... were all chaff. Most guys just want to get through the day with as little drama as possible.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
Gesu Parish made us take this class in order to get married there. They covered faith, sharing/caring, sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Hell, I didn't know this industry even existed. It was a Bataan Death March.

For guys, the whole wedding gig is way over the top. I'll be honest - I didn't care what music was played at Gesu. I had zero preference between the North Shore Country Club and Boder's on the River. Flowers, bridesmaid dresses, string quartets, appetizers, etc... were all chaff. Most guys just want to get through the day with as little drama as possible.

"Survive and advance"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
"Now that the gates of hell have been closed we can begin."

If that is really your attitude why did you choose the Scoop nickname that you have?

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

Having a Gesu wedding next year as well. Looking forward to jumping through the hoops  :-\

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
"Survive and advance"

Stay low and keep moving...

Death on call

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Funny stuff, PRN. Christian Marriage was the worst class ever - the priest who taught it had a mental block and had trouble just saying the word "marriage". A laugh a minute.

Right T, he said "MAR/IJ"  He kicked me out of class twice and wouldn't let me take the final in the classroom.  I had to take it in the hallway!  He kicked me out for some comment I made on birth control and the second time for a comment on masturbation.  He was so weird.   

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
Right T, he said "MAR/IJ"  He kicked me out of class twice and wouldn't let me take the final in the classroom.  I had to take it in the hallway!  He kicked me out for some comment I made on birth control and the second time for a comment on masturbation.  He was so weird.   
Many students of classes taught by priests have been forced to take it in the hallway.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »
Having a Gesu wedding next year as well. Looking forward to jumping through the hoops  :-\

In our case I was living in Enid, OK and she was in NYC so her mother flew lead on the mission planning. My mother-in-law is great people but she felt compelled to call me while I would be cramming thermodynamics to discuss various shades of blue flowers. At the end of the day she didn't care what I thought as she was really trying to impress her social circle in Thiensville.

I remember how my fiancé and her mother would argue about details and then reach out to me to adjudicate. My advice to you, Blueteaux, is to turn off your cell during the planning stage.  

Death on call

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
To chime in on the birthing classes .. another monumental waste of time.

You know who works in those hospital delivery rooms?  Experts.  They know how to birth babies, they do it for a living.   They'll help you along the way, explaining stuff.  

If you don't know what to do next?  No problem.  Really.  They do it a dozen times a day.

While a cursory knowledge of what's going to happen is a good thing, killing a day at a birthing class is a ginormous, galactically stupid timesuck.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

Amen, brother. I was working in Houston and got married in Chicago. Three months before the blessed event I sent my bride to be my list of friends to invite, a month or two later I sent in my measurements and told my best man and groomsmen to do likewise. Arrived in Chicago 3 days before the blessed event, attended the bachelor party, rehearsal dinner and wedding (basically a 3 day bender) then took off on a honeymoon. If I had been forced to be part of the planning I might not have made it to the altar.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
a month or two later I sent in my measurements and told my best man and groomsmen to do likewise.

Sounds like you were pretty close with your wedding party eh?  :P

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »
Sounds like you were pretty close with your wedding party eh?  :P

Two were brothers, two were brothers-in-law, four close friends (2 from high school, 2 from college). Very close (I was in all 8 of their weddings, 4 times as a best man), but we didn't do a lot of chatting about wedding prep. Amazing how things still managed to get done in the pre cell phone days.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »
Amen, brother. I was working in Houston and got married in Chicago. Three months before the blessed event I sent my bride to be my list of friends to invite, a month or two later I sent in my measurements and told my best man and groomsmen to do likewise. Arrived in Chicago 3 days before the blessed event, attended the bachelor party, rehearsal dinner and wedding (basically a 3 day bender) then took off on a honeymoon. If I had been forced to be part of the planning I might not have made it to the altar.

Funny postscript. 7 years later my wife and I were living in Boston and went out to Fenway. We're sitting in some box seats when in the 3rd inning a hugely endowed woman with flaming red hair is taking her seat in front of us. She sees me, I see her and she cries out at 200 decibals, "Hey! I remember you!"  She was "Big Red" from Rickey's. My groomsmen had hired her as part of the pre-wedding activities.

For years afterward, my wife would invoke the image of Big Red to shame, embarrass, humiliate, chastise, mock, or scold. There are some battles where it is better for a man to simply concede defeat. The Battle of Big Red is one of them.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
Funny postscript. 7 years later my wife and I were living in Boston and went out to Fenway. We're sitting in some box seats when in the 3rd inning a hugely endowed woman with flaming red hair is taking her seat in front of us. She sees me, I see her and she cries out at 200 decibals, "Hey! I remember you!"  She was "Big Red" from Rickey's. My groomsmen had hired her as part of the pre-wedding activities.

For years afterward, my wife would invoke the image of Big Red to shame, embarrass, humiliate, chastise, mock, or scold. There are some battles where it is better for a man to simply concede defeat. The Battle of Big Red is one of them.

I don't know Big Red but that could be your best story ever.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
thank God we went off to NOLA to get married the Friday after Mardi Gras (1991) with just 2 friends that lived there (was in a church however so Mom was happy)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
My Gesu story....was dating a lunatic MU girl my senior year.  Unbeknownst to me, she went to Gesu, met with the pastor and booked a wedding date for us.  Several months go by, one day the phone rings at ZFB's folks' house.  ZiggysFryDad answers, and it's the pastor from Gesu.  "We have ZFB and the lunatic's wedding date set but we haven't gotten the deposit yet.  Are you going to mail that up?"

ZiggysFryMom then calls ZFB.  "Why did Gesu call us about a wedding date?  What haven't you told us?  Is the lunatic pregnant?"  Luckily she wasn't, and she moved away shortly thereafter.  I've got 4 more years of worrying about the sheriff showing up at my crib with paternity papers, but I think I'm in the clear.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »

Rickeys on state? We always joke that were gonna make a trip there one day.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 04:00:08 PM »
Rickeys on state? We always joke that were gonna make a trip there one day.

My buddy delivered for Angelo's and Ricky's was one of the hot spots on his route, but they never actually let him in the door. They would meet him outside, pay him, grab the food, and tell him he didn't want to come inside. Sketchy place that Ricky's is.
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
My Gesu story....was dating a lunatic MU girl my senior year.  Unbeknownst to me, she went to Gesu, met with the pastor and booked a wedding date for us.  Several months go by, one day the phone rings at ZFB's folks' house.  ZiggysFryDad answers, and it's the pastor from Gesu.  "We have ZFB and the lunatic's wedding date set but we haven't gotten the deposit yet.  Are you going to mail that up?"

ZiggysFryMom then calls ZFB.  "Why did Gesu call us about a wedding date?  What haven't you told us?  Is the lunatic pregnant?"  Luckily she wasn't, and she moved away shortly thereafter.  I've got 4 more years of worrying about the sheriff showing up at my crib with paternity papers, but I think I'm in the clear.

And four more years of ZiggyFryDad and ZiggyFryMom wondering when ZiggyFryBoy is finally going to move out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »
In our case I was living in Enid, OK and she was in NYC so her mother flew lead on the mission planning. My mother-in-law is great people but she felt compelled to call me while I would be cramming thermodynamics to discuss various shades of blue flowers. At the end of the day she didn't care what I thought as she was really trying to impress her social circle in Thiensville.

I remember how my fiancé and her mother would argue about details and then reach out to me to adjudicate. My advice to you, Blueteaux, is to turn off your cell during the planning stage.  

Great advice.  And just in case they do reach you to adjudicate questions about flowers and the like, go with "they both seem like terrific options to me.  Why don't we just do both?"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
I lucked out.  My mom lived 500 miles away from Gesu (and 1000 miles from me) and I got to make all the decisions myself.  Her only contribution was to look at my dress the day of the wedding and say, "Is that really appropriate to wear in church?".
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:36:10 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »
"Survive and advance"

Wiser words were never spoken.

Pre-Cana is as good or as bad as you make it.
We Are Marquette

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »

You know who works in those hospital delivery rooms?  Experts.  They know how to birth babies, they do it for a living.   They'll help you along the way, explaining stuff.  

If you don't know what to do next?  No problem.  Really.  They do it a dozen times a day.

While a cursory knowledge of what's going to happen is a good thing, killing a day at a birthing class is a ginormous, galactically stupid timesuck.

Not necessarily.  My son was taking his time being birthed, so the Dr went down the hall to get a cup of coffee to keep him awake (it was the middle of the night). When things started moving along they couldn't find him.  When he finally showed up I was sitting between my wife's legs holding my son.  Told the Dr not to send me a bill for the delivery since I did all the work. Think he was embarrassed because he never did.

As for the wedding preparations, my wife told me that if I said "I don't care" one more time she would call off the wedding. Called her bluff by replying "I don't care".

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
Unfortunately I remember Big Red, she crushed a beer can for me that I only recently threw out doing spring cleaning a few years ago.

What was the name of the short lived strip bar across the street form Rickey's?  Went there the night of my divorce and got an autographed picture of MS. Nude Minnesota, not as memorable as the crushed beer can.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »

Yo Bro, that may be, but have you been checked out for clap?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »

Depends...the whole Catholic thingy usually means you are going to class.  I had to do an entire weekend since I lived in Milwaukee and my bride was in California as we did the long distance dating gig.  Three days, 2 nights at the Catholic retreat complex in the San Fernando Valley.  At least two couples bailed by the second night (one dude said he wasn't getting married to his fiancee and the other couple I think went straight to Vegas).  It was mostly putting you through reflection time, have you talked about the right things, do you know what the hell you are getting yourself into, have you asked the major questions about kids, parenting, check book, blah blah blah.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »

Yeah, but that class taught how to throw ice chips into your wife's mouth which is a skill I still utilize today.  That was my big takeaway, plus my lovely wife held off with full labor until after Monday Night Football (Cowboys beat the Eagles) over at St. Mary's on the east side....a trooper. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »

A double amen and a halleluiah.  Arrived in L.A. 3 days before the event, played a round of golf with the bros and shot an 80....since being married I have never been that low again....want to ruin your golf game (not that I had a very good one), get married.

Living in Milwaukee while she was in L.A. was actually a blessing as I had very little involvement other than saying yes dear to a china pattern and the like.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »

Cosign.

Four kids, did the birthing classes (I swear, I think we went to five or six classes in the evening, ladies all carrying their pillows, guys all moping) at St. Joe's Hopsital in Milwaukee before child number one.  One message:  if you moms have a C-Section, you are failures.

My spouse ended up having four C-sections.   The other myth is the "bonding moment" in the delivery room:  placing the new born on mom's abdomen to "bond."  Don't know if that is still done, but what a crock.  The lights in the delivery room were brighter than at the National Liquor Bar, and the nurses just want to get the kid foot printed and a hypo of Vitamin K injected.  Pretty certain the 45 seconds of bonding was a waste. 
Ludum habemus.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »

Yo Bro, that may be, but have you been checked out for clap?

junk's clean.  thanks for axin'

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
[.

[/quote]

"You just worry about your groomsmen and your shirtsize"   " A Little Bit of Everything ", Dawes    great song

My wife and I bailed after our first Lamaze as it was just a captive audience for people ,who nobody listens to otherwise, boring everyone with their prior birth experiences.

Had a friend in Milwaukee and they decided to have a "Natural Childbirth" No epidural...  Until the process began and she began shouting " give me a shot!"  and he is saying  " NO! We're having a Natural Childbirth"  I laugh every time I remember that discussion

john31

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
Now this is what I'm talking about. This for me is about the best thread I have seen in weeks. Truth be told this is what we needed in January along with some better guard play and a little more senior leadership. I'm sorry I digress... After talking pre cana my wife and I ran into problems scheduling our wedding in church so we did what most good Catholics do and did the quasi elopement to Tahoe and got married at Harvey's. I was snowboarding until an hour and a half before the wedding at which point I started to freak a little at my lack of involvement up until that point, showered and went to the chapel to find out what was going on only to be told that everything was ready to go...The reverend was a  George Hamilton doppelganger and his homily was great as was our reception in a suite with about 50 friend and family. Kids, I have four and each one was a some what horrifying experience because I always managed to block any and all memories from the previous births so each one was a wild ride.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

Weirdest teacher ever, Jeff - made Horton Roe look normal.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Our pre-cana couple, she had a reputation in the old lady's home town as a woman of loose morals, and was drunk during our meeting.  Probably coulda filmed a POV porno with the drunk lady right on the spot if the wife was willing (she probably wasn't back then).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »
made Horton Roe look normal.

Actually, that is pretty f ucked up. Horton Roe was an alien, man.

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »

This is a weird question, and I mean it with all due respect, but have you seen the movie "Gravity?" Your (great) stories remind me of the yarns Clooney's character tells. Great movie, by the way. If you haven't seen it you're missing out.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:36 AM »

That isssss awesome!! (Tommy Boy voice)......you need to write a sitcom episode, great story  8-)
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
....want to ruin your golf game (not that I had a very good one), get married.

Yea, it's a lot harder to put it in the hole once you say I do...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:42 AM »
I lucked out.  My mom lived 500 miles away from Gesu (and 1000 miles from me) and I got to make all the decisions myself.  Her only contribution was to look at my dress the day of the wedding and say, "Is that really appropriate to wear in church?".

She objected to you wearing white?

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
She objected to you wearing white?

Very funny.

Actually she thought it showed too much of my back - so even though it was long-sleeved and came up to my collarbone in the the front, she thought it showed too much skin.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Very funny.

Actually she thought it showed too much of my back - so even though it was long-sleeved and came up to my collarbone in the the front, she thought it showed too much skin.

yeah right.  I'm picturing the dress from the "November Rain" video.  Lucky dude that JSGlow...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
Got married in a protestant (Lutheran) church.   Highly recommend it.  Service is over in 1/2 the time.   3 pre-marriage counseling sessions, all for a couple of hours in the evening.   The Catholics on my side of the church were aghast that the minister performing the marriage was a woman.   I giggled.
    Babies?   First birthing class, one of the other couples asked "What about the machine that goes....bing?"    I fell over laughing (think Monty Python).   Everybody else in the class looked at us like we were insane.    My wife tried the all natural thing the first time.    The second time, she grabbed the first nurse she saw and demanded drugs in a demonic voice.   She tells every woman pregnant for the first time to forget about the all natural crap.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MeghanMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
Planning a wedding was the most stressful event of my life.  We were in CA, getting married in IN,  with lots of family coming from NJ.  For real, 4 years later- we had our first baby, bought a house from 2000 miles away, and moved cross country all in a one month period- that was LESS stressful.  The husband had zero interest in helping with any of the details, and I, frankly didn't care that much about most of them either.  I can remember my mom checking stuff out in IN for me, and asking me all these stupid BSy questions about flowers and cakes. I wish we would've had the dough just to hire someone to make all those annoying decisions.     

We had to do the pre-cana weekend, ugh.  We snuck out on the Saturday night with 2 other couples and got 40's of Mickeys from the local 7-11.  It was one hell of a miserable Sunday. :D So weird.  I think I might have the workbook stashed somewhere upstairs- might be an interesting read :).  I don't remember having a sponsor couple though.

I was a typical first mom with the baby classes though- made the husband go to the childbirth, "how to care for a newborn," breastfeeding, and infant CPR classes with me. Yup, I was not only already CPR certified, but certified to give Pediatric Advanced Life Support- but dammit, the book said I have to take this class, so I'm going to.  I don't remember much, except that I already felt like a failure because I was pretty sure fancy breathing couldn't outdo an epidural. Fast forward a couple of years- didn't take any classes with #2, and even forgot a couple of doctor appointments with #3 (and didn't feel the least bit like a failure asking for the epidural). 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
It should be restated .. childbirthing classes = monumental waste of time.

Classes on how to care for a newborn after you them 'em home from the hospital / infant CPR, etc .. those classes could have value.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
This is a weird question, and I mean it with all due respect, but have you seen the movie "Gravity?" Your (great) stories remind me of the yarns Clooney's character tells. Great movie, by the way. If you haven't seen it you're missing out.

Took your advice and watched Gravity last night. Excellent movie. The cinematography was stellar. Cheers.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
Took your advice and watched Gravity last night. Excellent movie. The cinematography was stellar. Cheers.

Too bad you didn't get a chance to see it in Imax 3D. It is exactly the type of movie that technology was meant for.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
Too bad you didn't get a chance to see it in Imax 3D. It is exactly the type of movie that technology was meant for.

I'll bet. It was stellar in HD but it must be stupendous in the IMAX 3-D format.

Seeing someone casually who starts work at 3 am means that one rarely goes to the movies.

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
What was good about gravity? That movie sucked. After the novelty of the space scenes wore off, it was slow moving and anti-climatic. It was basically an exposition of Sandra Bullock's legs at 49.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
What was good about gravity? That movie sucked. After the novelty of the space scenes wore off, it was slow moving and anti-climatic. It was basically an exposition of Sandra Bullock's legs at 49.

Agree with Keefe, the cinematography was incredible.

Also 2nd the comment about Keefe reminding me of George Clooney's character

Keefe, if you are ever in Chicago, let me know...we'll go here, the single malts are on me: http://dukeofperth.com/

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:23:54 PM by Bleuteaux »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
Agree with Keefe, the cinemetography was incredible.
No doubt and the Academy would agree with you. It took home seven Academy Awards, but conspicuously missing from those 7 was best actress and best picture. Maybe I should have gone into it with different expectations.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
I'll bet. It was stellar in HD but it must be stupendous in the IMAX 3-D format.

Seeing someone casually who starts work at 3 am means that one rarely goes to the movies.

If I want to see a movie badly enough, I will go by myself.  That's how I saw Amadeus back in 1985 and it's now one of my all-time favorites.  I ended up dragging other people to it later, and they were grateful.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
If I want to see a movie badly enough, I will go by myself.  That's how I saw Amadeus back in 1985 and it's now one of my all-time favorites.  I ended up dragging other people to it later, and they were grateful.

Rock Me Amadeus!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »
Yesterday I tweeted TeamCoachBuzz and asked if they were interested. I think Buzz and Corey would be a great sponsor couple for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is that fact that they are both willing to talk about God and Faith in the media when it seems to be a bit of a taboo subject in this day and age.

So are you guys moving the ceremony to Blacksburg?

Death on call