Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vanders tweet yesterday  (Read 11849 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Vanders tweet yesterday
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
Valid point, i didn't think about Conference USA. I always saw Diener as a Jason Kidd type.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
DJO, who is better than Vander, got picked in the 2nd. Didn't last a full 2 months in the NBA. Where is he now?

Vander is 3 inches taller and a much better defender.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
Chico's

I know you are pulling for Blue and wish your confidence in him returning a few weeks ago would have panned out. No doubt Vander Blue has NBA confidence, now we will see if game matches.

Correct....I hope he makes it.  I sincerely hope he didn't make a big mistake, but when pursuing your dreams sometimes mistakes happen along the way.  If the do, pick yourself up and keep pushing.  I do hope he makes it, his confidence will not be what holds him back (I mean that as a compliment).

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
lots of guys in the NBA without stellar numbers in college...

lots of guys with stellar college numbers not int he NBA...

Yeah, his athleticism really helped him with his stellar numbers the past 3 years too......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
DJO, who is better than Vander, got picked in the 2nd. Didn't last a full 2 months in the NBA. Where is he now?

DJO is a better shooter than Vander...but that's about it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »

I'd go one step further. DJO is only a better 3 point shooter than Van, not from mid range or the foul line.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
Travis didn't have Vander's build, but he was a much better shooter and ballhandler. 

Vander probably goes in round 2 and fights for a roster spot, but thats a long shot.  NBDL where he works at it and gives it a few years. 

Vander is also 20, while Diener was 23 when he got drafted.  That matters.  Not sure why people don't even consider that.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
I'd go one step further. DJO is only a better 3 point shooter than Van, not from mid range or the foul line.
DJO was and played much stronger than vander as well...vander finished around the rim much better this year than in his first two, but not at an nba level.

he felt like his stock was as high as it would get, so i get him wanting to make some $$$ next year.  i also think if he's realistic about his abilities, and figures he'll end up overseas, then an extra year of salary in his career means something. 

i don't understand the overseas deal well...i'm always surprised more guys don't do it.  i get that it's a lot for a young man to take on, but would be interested to know how someone like trent weighed the pro's and con's after 3 years of college and a degree.  i would think his mu experience cost him good $$$, and depending on what his earning potential is, it could be needed $$$ as basketball players obviously don't work till 65???

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
i don't understand the overseas deal well...i'm always surprised more guys don't do it.  i get that it's a lot for a young man to take on, but would be interested to know how someone like trent weighed the pro's and con's after 3 years of college and a degree.  i would think his mu experience cost him good $$$, and depending on what his earning potential is, it could be needed $$$ as basketball players obviously don't work till 65???

Keep in mind Trent's mom was sick so he probably was being truthful about playing close to home.  Any profeesional playing would probably mean another continent.  He got the added bonus of playing an Elite Eight.  Did he even make the dance playing at ASU?.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:45:00 PM by MarquetteDano »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
Unneccesary shots at Chicos work better if they're funny and make sense.

He's been on ignore for years with me...wish you hadn't quoted him.   :)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »
he felt like his stock was as high as it would get, so i get him wanting to make some $$$ next year.  i also think if he's realistic about his abilities, and figures he'll end up overseas, then an extra year of salary in his career means something. 

I think Vander's stock would be highest after continuing his tourney performance. Plus if he could show he can play some 1.
We Are Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
APR :(
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »

Faster on the break, too.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:21 AM »
DJO was and played much stronger than vander as well...vander finished around the rim much better this year than in his first two, but not at an nba level.

i don't understand the overseas deal well...i'm always surprised more guys don't do it.  i get that it's a lot for a young man to take on, but would be interested to know how someone like trent weighed the pro's and con's after 3 years of college and a degree.  i would think his mu experience cost him good $$$, and depending on what his earning potential is, it could be needed $$$ as basketball players obviously don't work till 65???
That is not why he left. It probably really had nothing to do with his stock in the NBA draft if you ask me.

Of course I am speculating heavily here but I don't think he wanted to go through the negative energy he has gotten at MU the last two years and having to go through having to answer and war with his critics and haters in his own home state. Why not leave he thought? 

Well, actually that is not entirely true but I am sure that is not the main reason he left...was that his stock couldn't get any higher. It was something else or a number of things that factored into it.

I am sure he really wanted to come and win it all next year, but did not want to go through the hassle and risk getting caught up again in an incident again and lose everything.

I am sure he was on a 'last strike' basis he probably did not want to have the every day pressure of anymore. Plus his support Junior and Juan were taking off too.

It was a smart choice for him, but not the best choice. The best choice would have been to stay and grow and mature further, but we are lucky he stayed as long as he did.

One thing for sure is, I think Vander is the ONLY MU PLAYER to move on to the NBA draft and not have stayed all 4 years. That in and of itself tells you something...   

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
One thing for sure is, I think Vander is the ONLY MU PLAYER to move on to the NBA draft and not have stayed all 4 years. That in and of itself tells you something...
Seriously?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »

Hmmm...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
That is not why he left. It probably really had nothing to do with his stock in the NBA draft if you ask me.

Of course I am speculating heavily here but I don't think he wanted to go through the negative energy he has gotten at MU the last two years and having to go through having to answer and war with his critics and haters in his own home state. Why not leave he thought? 

Well, actually that is not entirely true but I am sure that is not the main reason he left...was that his stock couldn't get any higher. It was something else or a number of things that factored into it.

I am sure he really wanted to come and win it all next year, but did not want to go through the hassle and risk getting caught up again in an incident again and lose everything.

I am sure he was on a 'last strike' basis he probably did not want to have the every day pressure of anymore. Plus his support Junior and Juan were taking off too.

It was a smart choice for him, but not the best choice. The best choice would have been to stay and grow and mature further, but we are lucky he stayed as long as he did.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it....

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
Hmmm...

that bottom picture is a pretty cool friggin picture

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »

Not sure why you think that.  He has pretty much been a model citizen since the first semester of his freshman year.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
He got the added bonus of playing an Elite Eight.  Did he even make the dance playing at ASU?.

I don't think so

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »
that bottom picture is a pretty cool friggin picture

Cause of the dude in the lower right about to get stiffed for his attempted slap of five?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Cause of the dude in the lower right about to get stiffed for his attempted slap of five?

Totally about to get stiffed.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Keep in mind Trent's mom was sick so he probably was being truthful about playing close to home.  Any profeesional playing would probably mean another continent.  He got the added bonus of playing an Elite Eight.  Did he even make the dance playing at ASU?.
i'm sure there was some truth to the family thing, but then again how much does any serious D1 player get to see their parents unless they're in the backyard.

my interest is more general.  if i had a son playing D1 ball, and he had his degree (and maybe even if he didn't), and we knew the NBA wasn't realistic for him, but a decent salary overseas was...i'd have a hard time advising him not to go overseas as soon as i felt he could handle it, and had maximized his value.  i did college a year faster than most because i wanted to maximize my earnings prior to retirement.  i loved everything about college, but 3 years was enough with no real source of income. 

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

Guy in the lower left is not impressed at all...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
i'm sure there was some truth to the family thing, but then again how much does any serious D1 player get to see their parents unless they're in the backyard.

my interest is more general.  if i had a son playing D1 ball, and he had his degree (and maybe even if he didn't), and we knew the NBA wasn't realistic for him, but a decent salary overseas was...i'd have a hard time advising him not to go overseas as soon as i felt he could handle it, and had maximized his value.  i did college a year faster than most because i wanted to maximize my earnings prior to retirement.  i loved everything about college, but 3 years was enough with no real source of income. 

While I respect your decision and it certainly a reasonable and prudent decision.  It is also reasonable to view the flip side and what you are doing is sacrificing a year of fun when you are in your 20's for a year or two of fun when you are in your 60's.  To each their own, but I would think it is as wise or even wiser to enjoy a year in your 20's.

Remember, they are not going overseas and making a huge salary.

feedback