collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy July 4th Y'all  (Read 17253 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Happy July 4th Y'all
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »
I thought the social media companies have algorithms to flag "hate speech" or speech they view as mis/disinformation that don't conform to their rules. Why would I have to report something to the social media company when they are supposedly flagging violations of their rules everyday.

Which social media posts and platforms do you believe should have been flagged?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2022, 09:20:53 AM »
I thought the social media companies have algorithms to flag "hate speech" or speech they view as mis/disinformation that don't conform to their rules. Why would I have to report something to the social media company when they are supposedly flagging violations of their rules everyday.

Oh. So you're yet again just whining more grievance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2022, 09:21:32 AM »

If your house is broken into, do you call 911, or do you wait for the police to show up randomly since they should have someone driving by on patrol at some point every day?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
Our town has a big festival on the fourth. And while they have a big police presence, while I was down there I was thinking "there are a hundred points of entry into this place." All it would take is one person with a high powered gun to mow down a dozen people. No "locked door" would prevent that. No "good guy with a gun" is going to take a bad guy out before causing that damage.

I take your point seriously, but a person could also get into a vehicle plow down dozens of people as well. I'll concede gun shootings do happen more frequently. Waukesha, WI and Nice, France not that long ago come to mind. We have lost our sense of right and wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36800730

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
Which social media posts and platforms do you believe should have been flagged?

Ask the social media companies. I don't make the rules.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2022, 09:37:22 AM »
Ask the social media companies. I don't make the rules.

So, you come here to complain, but don't know 1) which posts should have been flagged, 2) which platforms those posts appeared on, 3) what the rules of those platforms are and 4) which rules said posts may have violated.
Go it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »
I take your point seriously, but a person could also get into a vehicle plow down dozens of people as well. I'll concede gun shootings do happen more frequently. Waukesha, WI and Nice, France not that long ago come to mind. We have lost our sense of right and wrong.

Actually they had barriers set up to make it harder for people to plow into a crowd.

But regardless, my take is that we should make it harder for people to kill others, even if we can't make it perfect.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
Our town has a big festival on the fourth. And while they have a big police presence, while I was down there I was thinking "there are a hundred points of entry into this place." All it would take is one person with a high powered gun to mow down a dozen people. No "locked door" would prevent that. No "good guy with a gun" is going to take a bad guy out before causing that damage.

Luckily, the pro-lifers like Lenny and 69 are trying to do something about this.

Oops, I mean they are voting people into office that are fighting hard for the Crimos of the world to be armed to the teeth with weapons of war.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »
If your house is broken into, do you call 911, or do you wait for the police to show up randomly since they should have someone driving by on patrol at some point every day?

Bad analogy. I know. I posted a CDC report on facebook and got flagged as misinformation just seconds after I posted it. Yes, a CDC report on COVID. We share the same house with my daughter's family so we can mind our grand daughter while they are at work. They both have permits for their guns so we wouldn't have to wait to call 911; besides we have 3 dogs and any person would have to think twice trying to break into our home before our grown children would have to use their guns.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2022, 09:55:15 AM »
*Sigh*

Way to not answer the question. Let's try again. Your house is broken into. No home invasion, just a break-in. You come home and find there has been a robbery. Do you call 911, or wait for a patrol car to randomly come by?

The point is, you make the report because that raises awareness to the people responsible for addressing the situation. I have had an account suspended because I used the word "hacked" in a sentence (referring to a basketball player getting hacked at the rim, but terms of service flagged my account as being hacked) so it will happen that things will get caught inaccurately. It happens, you deal and move on, just like you call police or report social media posts when it's appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:04:21 AM by brewcity77 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2022, 10:06:41 AM »
Did you report the posts to the social media companies?
Reporting doesn't always do any good. See, Uncle Rico and his advocating the murder of Supreme Court Justices. He's still posting.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:51 AM »
*Sigh*

Way to not answer the question. Let's try again. Your house is broken into. No home invasion, just a break-in. You come home and find there has been a robbery. Do you call 911, or wait for a patrol car to randomly come by?

The point is, you make the report because that raises awareness to the people responsible for addressing the situation. I have had an account suspended because I used the word "hacked" in a sentence (referring to a basketball player getting hacked at the rim, but terms of service flagged my account as being hacked) so it will happen that things will get caught inaccurately. It happens, you deal and move on, just like you call police or report social media posts when it's appropriate.

...but that is after the fact. I thought we were suppose to prevent these guys from getting guns before they commit a crime. You would think the algorithms the social platforms use would catch this stuff and alert the authorities.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »
Luckily, the pro-lifers like Lenny and 69 are trying to do something about this.

Oops, I mean they are voting people into office that are fighting hard for the Crimos of the world to be armed to the teeth with weapons of war.

...and the pro-choice people are just fine snuffing the life of babies before they take their first breath.

https://www.alittleinsight.com/by-week

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2022, 10:16:26 AM »
Reporting doesn't always do any good. See, Uncle Rico and his advocating the murder of Supreme Court Justices. He's still posting.

He was very serious about that, let me assure you.
Just to be safe, you should alert the FBI (and his HR department).

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
...but that is after the fact. I thought we were suppose to prevent these guys from getting guns before they commit a crime. You would think the algorithms the social platforms use would catch this stuff and alert the authorities.

Isn’t the threat of a person having a gun in the home supposed to stop a break-in before it happens? That’s not a perfect solution, much like the algorithms aren’t a perfect solution. But yes, this is an algorithm problem and not a gun problem.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2022, 10:17:32 AM »

Again, could you tell us which post and which platform?
Or are you just playing the right-wing victim card?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2022, 10:27:15 AM »

Proving yet again that stupid arguments never die...

The purpose of a vehicle is to transport people and things. The purpose of a gun is to send high velocity metal projectiles into people or things to destroy them. Sure, a vehicle *can* be used to intentionally kill people, but they are used in that way an infinitesimal amount of the time, just as a gun is used as a door jam or hammer an infinitesimal amount of the time.

And yet, to own and operate a car a person must:
* Pass both written and on road examinations that they can safely operate the vehicle
* Purchase an annual tag for the vehicle
* Have the vehicle examined yearly to ensure it is operating safely and efficiently
* Purchase liability insurance for the vehicle
* Renew their operating license on a regular basis

Comparing the two as killing machines is idiotic.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:52:52 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2022, 10:42:53 AM »

Regarding the algorithms, they catch some of it and funnel it to their technical staff, some almost certainly gets through and that's what the reporting functions exist for. Just like police. They catch some criminal acts in real time, others they are alerted to through the 911 system.

As far as preventing these guys from getting guns, a break-in doesn't require guns. The only guns in the scenario are the ones you reported being in the house, which could be stolen and become illegal guns, proving that the problem begins not with the criminal action but with the presence of legal guns. Because all illegal guns start out as legal guns.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »

I’ve changed my mind.  I love the justices and how they’ve protected guns
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
It is also idiotic to seriously suggest the fault lies with social media companies rather than laws allowing anyone, anywhere, anytime to obtain killing machines. Distract, dissemble, obfuscate...anything except address the actual issue.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »
...and the pro-choice people are just fine snuffing the life of babies before they take their first breath.

https://www.alittleinsight.com/by-week
Well, fetuses are not babies, so your post is simply inaccurate hysterical hyperbole.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2022, 10:55:09 AM »
Well the recent ruling doesn't stop states from requiring licenses, background checks, mental health evaluations, or even type of guns. Just once a license is issued, you cant stop a person from carrying it outside the home.

Oh, and you are no Patton Oswalt.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »

The price of freedom is being murdered while celebrating your freedom.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2022, 11:02:56 AM »
Well, fetuses are not babies, so your post is simply inaccurate hysterical hyperbole.

fe·tus
/ˈfēdəs/
noun
an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.

https://optionsforwomenrf.com/child-a-fetus-or-a-baby/

Sure they are.  A fetus is an unborn baby and unborn babies are medically referred to as a fetus. They are one and the same.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2022, 11:09:13 AM »
Well the recent ruling doesn't stop states from requiring licenses, background checks, mental health evaluations, or even type of guns. Just once a license is issued, you cant stop a person from carrying it outside the home.

The ruling has some far wider-reaching implications than that. It basically says the government's interest in reducing violence no longer matters when it comes to guns, and should no longer be considered when weighing the constitutionality of gun control laws. Instead, they wrote, "this Nation's historical tradition" is all that matters.
So yeah, the majority of the Supreme Court says protecting lives is less important than protecting guns. In this case, the ruling involved a conceal carry law, but the standard they set will apply to any gun control measure.
On the other hand, mass shootings are well on their way to becoming "this Nation's historical tradition," so maybe this ruling won't be so bad after all.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:28:08 AM by Pakuni »

feedback