[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011  (Read 38043 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
Ha, it sounds like you're against multiculturalism and diversity.  What dumb goof would ever want to promote these values?

No kidding, I'm ready to start the Crusades again...who's with me!!!

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Considering how most of the other Jesuit schools have used basketball and athletics to promote themselves (Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Boston College), I think that tradition will continue.

+1. MU knows firsthand the great benefits that having a strong basketball program can provide to a non-football university.  

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
I was also on campus during the whole Warriors to Lightning debacle.  At least Fr. DiUlio caved and the student vote was allowed for the Golden Eagles name.  Fr. DiUlio told law school students that the law school was solely a "cash cow" and if we didn't like the fact that the facilities were falling down and that our tuition was siphoned off for the general funds, go somewhere else.

I too wish the Warriors name remained, am disappointed that Fr. Wild did not get us back to the Warriors, and still get worked up over the subject, but to say that Father Wild has done anything other than enhance the overall university is ludicrous.  The law school has a massive new building that will be state of the art.  The other building projects have vastly enhanced the University.  Fr. Wild will actually listen to others rather than tell people to "go somewhere else."  The basketball program has made a Final Four and athletics moved to the Big East.  My degree is valued by others (ie employers) even more than before.  It is a sad day that Fr. Wild moves to greener pastures for all who appreciate and value Marquette.  Good luck in all of your future endeavors Fr. Wild, and thank you very much.  (Now if you could do something about the Chicken Hawk and bringing back the Warriors... ;D)

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
Its sad to see him go.  Even if you have grievances with the university(theres nothing wrong with that since I do) You do need to acknowledge that he has done a lot and he has the quantitative results to prove it.  For example, the new buildings, the endowment(which is still really weak), the campus or whatever you want to call it, vision and etc. . . .

While I never met the man I have talked to people that have and while he was not a great public speaker but he had a vision, understood the intricacies of execution, how to move the large bureaucracy that is MU and the soft skills for the position. Don't let your pride get in the way of what he has done since bickering about a nickname is about as stupid as a argument you can make.

I wish he would have retired in 3-4 years and they better find a suitable replacement.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
Gumbyandpokey is evil and must be destroyed!!

Get a clue as a recent alum (2008) and having been back to campus for several games I am amazed at even the transformations since I have left. New office buildings, law building is amazing, and the new engineering building which will soon break ground. Not to mention the old Sweeney's book store is a new dormatory.

Students cheer for the Warriors in the stands but many current students do not hold the passion to have the name changed, nor do many even know that Marquette was called the Warriors until they arrive on campus. Marquette is Marquette, a nickname won't change what the university is and what it stands for.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
I was the co-Chair of Students for Warriors in 2005, and had the opportunity to meet with Fr. Wild several times during the process. I'm sure MUFan12 and notkirkcameron, both of whom ran the group with me, will echo that Fr. Wild was outgoing and took the time to chat with us and make sure our side was heard.

I think Fr. Wild handled *his role* (which was not the end all be all decider of the issue) very well. As President of the University diring the nickname debate, more than anything else he was the public steward of whatever was decided, but as far as the decision itself was simply an individual member of the Board of Trustees.

Now, all nickname stuff aside, anyone who takes a look around campus and compares it to 2, 3, 5, 10, or 15 years ago will see the wonderful things Father Wild has brought to Marquette. Rankings are at an all time high, buildings are going up faster than some cities, and our basketball team is about to make their 5th consecutive tournament appearance (while training for it in their relatively new facility). Fr. Wild has been nothing but good for Marquette.

As far as people calling him arrogant, I've found him to be the polar opposite. Warm, outgoing, and genuinely interested in Marquette students, faculty, and the community as a whole.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
I'd certainly trade the buildings for the Warriors name.

It's funny, I always get calls from MU asking for money from some kid and I always tell them  they won't get a cent from me until they bring back the Warriors name.  Then the kid always says that they hear that a lot, and I tell them not to  call again.  But like clockwork, the next call will come in a month or two.

BTW, for anyone wondering, I did graduate from MU.  I was on ASMU at the time of the mascot/nickname fiasco with DiUlio and worked for the University (rec center, Athletic Dept), as well.  

Get a life man. The Warriors thing sucked, but its less than 1% of what is important about Marquette. Not only has the school gone up in rankings and prestige (we are actually ahead of SLU and I believe are now one of the top 5 Catholic universities in the country, behind only schools such as ND and Boston College), but under Fr. Wild Marquette has really stepped up its mission and service to Milwaukee. 2 Free dental clinics, record numbers of students volunteering and service learning, etc. Fr. Wild is Marquette's best President, bar maybe only a first place tie with Raynor. The guy has done incredible work and dealt with more controversy/adversity than any other president. Look where we were in 1996 when he came. Our school was coming off the whole Dahmer thing, look where he brought us.

There are more important things than mascots.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:13:56 PM by ReneeRow »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Fumbling the nickname is Fr. Wild's only misstep.  Otherwise, he has been a great President.

Having said that....It would have been nice for Fr. Wild to stand up for the Warriors and MU's history of protecting the Native American image.        

Marquette eliminated Willie Wampum in 1971.  They were extremly sensitive to Native American views.  The First Warrior was a tribute.  Marquette did the right thing so far ahead of everyone else that they did not get credit.  If they held on to Willie Wampum until 1992, then dumped him with great fanfare, we would still be Warriors.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
I'm going to echo everyone with any reason here and say that Fr. Wild has been one of the best things for the University during his tenure as President.  Who wants to start a committee to name the next new dorm "Wild Hall"!!!

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
Gumby, have you ever even had a conversation with Fr. Wild or are you "calling him an arrogant prick" just because you still can't get over the Warriors issue?  Wild's an absolute class act and is one of the more caring individuals whom I've met.  He was more than willing to have lengthy conversations with everyone and took the time to listen to their viewpoints.  Not to mention, Marquette's academics and facilities have improved leaps and bounds since he's been president and his commitment to athletics is a huge plus.  He'll be sorely missed.

Your ignorant comments are as bad as some of the garbage that's been posted on the Journal-Sentinel's website in response to the article.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Marquette is so much better off since Fr. Wild.  The campus is beautiful, the school is better and more popular, and the basketball program is in a nice place.  He has been great for the MU community as a whole and specifically to my wife/family.  He is a class act.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Fr. Jim McDermott for MU president!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
I second the movement for a Wild Hall. It should be a freshman dorm to replace McCormick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
Fumbling the nickname is Fr. Wild's only misstep.  Otherwise, he has been a great President.

Having said that....It would have been nice for Fr. Wild to stand up for the Warriors and MU's history of protecting the Native American image.        

Marquette eliminated Willie Wampum in 1971.  They were extremly sensitive to Native American views.  The First Warrior was a tribute.  Marquette did the right thing so far ahead of everyone else that they did not get credit.  If they held on to Willie Wampum until 1992, then dumped him with great fanfare, we would still be Warriors.

Well said ra-ra

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »

Dude, I don't want to open up another Warriors debate, but the First Warrior got beer dumped on him by students. That's not a tribute. That said, I'm all for Warriors with NO American Indian imagery.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
Dude, I don't want to open up another Warriors debate, but the First Warrior got beer dumped on him by students. That's not a tribute. That said, I'm all for Warriors with NO American Indian imagery.

I never said the students appreciated the First Warrior.   The University made a good faith effort to honor Native American culture.

As far as a Warrior with no native imagery, I'm with you brother.  

EDIT: removed potential thread hi jack
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:51:26 PM by mu-rara »

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
The talk going around the faculty today is that Wild is leaving due to a health issue, which is an onset of Parkinsons.  Anyone else hear this?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »
The talk going around the faculty today is that Wild is leaving due to a health issue, which is an onset of Parkinson's.  Anyone else hear this?

What do you care?  He is stuck up prick in your eyes. 

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »
What do you care?  He is stuck up prick in your eyes. 

I don't really.  Just thought it was an interesting bit of info.

Sure hope MU chooses someone who will uphold Catholic teaching and not another Rembert Weakland style Catholic (politically speaking), which both DiUlio and Wild were.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »

He really didn't fumble the nickname.  He was put in between a rock and a hard place and negotiated it as best as he could.  The damn trustee who offered up the $$$ should have known better.  He was the one that threw the administration under the bus on that whole issue.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »

Sure hope MU chooses someone who will uphold Catholic teaching and not another Rembert Weakland style Catholic (politically speaking), which both DiUlio and Wild were.

Curious.  What aspects of Catholic teaching are you speaking of?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »

You have really yet to explain what exactly this means.  Do you care to do so now?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
 If you were and obviously still are so concerned about the Catholic teaching of Marquette why did you go to Marquette??? Interesting thought, since you came to MU when DiUlio was president.

And heres a newsflash for you, not everyone who attends MU is Catholic, white, nor did many current students or alumni even attend catholic school at all prior to Marquette. And you teach at Marquette, even worse off if that is true since you don't agree with their principles...
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »

He really didn't fumble the nickname.  He was put in between a rock and a hard place and negotiated it as best as he could.  The damn trustee who offered up the $$$ should have known better.  He was the one that threw the administration under the bus on that whole issue.

Do I have to mention a certain color or mineral that was proposed as an alternative, for which we are still reminded by our Red friends.  As the President of the University, the buck stopped with him.  It was probably the most embarrassed I have been for an institution that I love.

feedback