[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Winning on the road in conference against ranked teams  (Read 9808 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Winning on the road in conference against ranked teams
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2023, 01:40:16 PM »
We went 1/12 from deep in the second half.  Until the last two they were all good looks. Make one and the game likely has a different result. Hard fought loss.  Pound the snot out of the Friars
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2023, 01:40:30 PM »
We played a tough team , with a great coach at their loud on campus facility. Took it to the last minute and they won. I would have preferred we won, but overall we played well against a strong opponent .

Let’s go and conquer Cooley & Company.

Yep, win or lose today doesn’t change the fact that we’re in the midst of a loaded schedule of 3 games in 7 days. Hope they can regroup and get these next 2. Think we’ll feel pretty good at that point if they can get it done.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »
Yep.  We looked worn down in the second half.

I agree.

It may be too simplistic but, at the end of the day, I think Xavier’s 23-24 year old players had more stamina than MU’s 20-21 year olds.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2023, 01:42:02 PM »
I am as disappointed as all of you, but give me a high quality game, played at high level and a meaningful game on January 15 for the next decade. That was a very good college game and it was tough task going into the game.

On a side note, we were at Goolsby’s for the watch party and great to see a big turnout. IMO, another example of the program building a brand.

It's all good, Goose. We owe Providence big time, and 7-2 will look good after Wednesday night. With all students back, I'm looking for a very loud and very wild night at Fiserv.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2023, 01:42:02 PM »
Too many missed opportunities:

1. Offensive rebounds.
2. Loose balls.
3. Missing wide open 3's.
Right on, Forgetful.  This is the loss in a nutshell.

A weird thing about us is that we miss several threes every game very, very badly.  Like airballs or off the backboard without catching rim.

At any rate, we played well against the #12 team on the road, and lost a very tight one.  Not the end of the world, but another golden opportunity lost.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2023, 01:42:06 PM »
Could Gold have been used more this game?  He blocked a couple of shots early on and seem to disrupt them a little with his length.  Maybe it was a mirage.

I do wish they’d hit him more with a pass on the pick and pop.  His theee point shot is a good one.

He’s so skinny right now he probably woulda been bullied by Freemantle and Nunge.

I also think Gold projects to be more of a 3 with his skill set, probably not the game for him.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2023, 01:42:25 PM »
Gold is by and large pretty poor defensively. I did think that having him out there for a bit would not have been a bad idea though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nyg

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
Like UCONN, Xavier has 2 big men who are Big East ready. We have one and a work in progress.

That, and the fact that X was a little quicker to the loose balls was the razor thin difference.

Not a bad loss, let’s bounce back Wednesday!

When Oso went out with foul issue, Shaka first brought in Joplin.  Freemantle was out also(can't imagine what would have happened if not out).  Joplin got abused and Shaka brought in Gold.  Gold had a nice block but he also was abused, made a bad turnover and was pulled, back to Joplin. Don't think Gold played another minute.  Omax and Joplin back on Nunge and it just didn't work out. 

I have no idea about Keeynan and why he is even on the team if he can't play five minutes, heck I don't know if Gold played five minutes.  Two seven footers against 6ft7 guys is not a very good combination and it showed. 

I also hope someone from the press asks Shaka about the Oso sub with 1:30 to go and gave up four points on two layups.  Had to have some reasoning, if not no confidence in other players.  Was strange sub.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2023, 01:43:31 PM »
Shooter

I wish Gold had got some more minutes. I think he has a very edge to his personality and play.

P1kachu2

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2023, 01:44:57 PM »
Overall happy with the performance although think we would be conference favorites if we pulled it out. Two best teams in the BE imo and I would have 100% taken being tied with a minute to play going into the game. Boum hits a tough jumper over a great contest from Oso, OMax misses a layup that he probably hits 90% of the time, just didn't get things to fall at the end. Pleased with the 2nd half defensive adjustments but they made some too, still thought we got some good looks from 3 that we normally would hit. Team is still at its best when it is able to penetrate and shoot/kick, just some tired legs leading to not getting enough on shots and winning loose balls.

Would love to be able to replicate the atmosphere that X has at Fiserv, sustained success will hopefully lead to that which continues by getting some revenge against the Friars on Wednesday.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2023, 01:45:32 PM »
When Oso went out with foul issue, Shaka first brought in Joplin.  Freemantle was out also(can't imagine what would have happened if not out).  Joplin got abused and Shaka brought in Gold.  Gold had a nice block but he also was abused, made a bad turnover and was pulled, back to Joplin. Don't think Gold played another minute.  Omax and Joplin back on Nunge and it just didn't work out. 

I have no idea about Keeynan and why he is even on the team if he can't play five minutes, heck I don't know if Gold played five minutes.  Two seven footers against 6ft7 guys is not a very good combination and it showed. 

I also hope someone from the press asks Shaka about the Oso sub with 1:30 to go and gave up four points on two layups.  Had to have some reasoning, if not no confidence in other players.  Was strange sub.

The fact that Keenan can’t even get on the floor after redshirting an entire year makes me think Our scholarship issue is gonna resolve itself real quickly this offseason

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2023, 01:49:10 PM »
I am as disappointed as all of you, but give me a high quality game, played at high level and a meaningful game on January 15 for the next decade. That was a very good college game and it was tough task going into the game.

On a side note, we were at Goolsby’s for the watch party and great to see a big turnout. IMO, another example of the program building a brand.

Goose,

X earned the W as did Prov a few weeks ago.  That said we had every opportunity to win both games.  Kam wound up with 2 pts after the initial stretch early.  The fact that we were right there is pretty amazing when you consider his final 30+ mins. 

The point in the game where both teams looked a little gassed (MU was up 61-58) is where we lost the contest.  We didn't execute and played way too much one on one.  That was where we should have taken control and we completely squandered the opportunity.  The mentality in a hostile environment has to be this is our game and we will drop the hammer when the chances are there.  It simply did not happen and that's why I'm pretty upset. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2023, 01:50:04 PM »
He’s so skinny right now he probably woulda been bullied by Freemantle and Nunge.

I also think Gold projects to be more of a 3 with his skill set, probably not the game for him.

Except he block shots by both Freemantle and Nunge in his 4 minutes of action.  He should have been played more.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2023, 01:50:47 PM »
It was a good defensive possession too. Got them to take a contested fall away midrange with Marquette tallest guy in the floor contesting.

Kid just made a shot
I thought it was actually a pretty easy pull up. The issue I had with it was Mitchell switching. That was a mistake
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
I will be at Fiserv for the rematch.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »

Gold has an 11.7 Blocks percentage.  Next closest on the team?  Oso at 6.2  Next?  Joplin at 1.9.  After that?  All sub 1%.

Gold will get in the middle and mix it up.  He's obviously not as strong as needed, but he will fight.  He's much quicker off the dribble than Joplin and a better athlete.  He should have gotten more run today.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 01:59:47 PM »
I agree.

It may be too simplistic but, at the end of the day, I think Xavier’s 23-24 year old players had more stamina than MU’s 20-21 year olds.

I think this was a depth issue more than conditioning.  The minute spreads look similar, but if you remove the 1 and the 5 from each team (TK and Oso vs Boum and Nunge), the next four guys from each team go:

MU (Kam, OMax, Mitchell, Jop) - 111 mins; 12/33 for 35 pts; 13 rebs; 12 assists
X (Jones, Kunkel, Freemantle, Hunter) - 112 mins; 20/41 for 46 pts; 24 rebs; 12 assists

X's depth was more invovled and provided more winning plays.  When we looked tired, we're really talking about Oso and Kolek as much as anything, and this is why.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2023, 02:02:26 PM »
They’re going to blow the doors off Providence
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
The boards, the boards, the boards!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2023, 02:14:19 PM »
As disappointed as I've been after an MU loss in a LONG time.  Some odd substitutions and rotations.  Some missed easy looks.  The quote "50/50" balls largely started out favoring Xavier 65% - meaning they had a distinct advantage toward securing the 50/50 ball based on the carom. 

Pretty disappointing to lose 2 road games against X and Providence when Kolek absolutely goes off.  On the positive that bodes well for us going forward.  Really surprised how Kam started off so hot, and then just couldn't get it going in the 2nd half.  OMax had a subpar day.  And I'd say Shaka had a subpar game too.

We've kind of switched roles on our reaction to this one, as I'm usually nitpicking after losses and you're usually defending Shaka no matter what!

We were a half-step late when there was a loose basketball, we were beaten on the boards as always, and we went ice cold in the second half. But playing the #12 (and soon to be much higher) team in the country to almost a dead heat on the road, and doing so despite not having our 3-point game, I don't know, I'm just not devastated by it.

I also wish Shaka would have played fewer "mind games" with Gold - ha! - but otherwise I have no issue with his lineups. Maybe a little more rest for Kolek, but Sean was bad today.

O-Max hits that shot with about a minute to go or, as Wiz said, a couple of Kam's open 3s go down, and we maybe steal that one.

Miller gambled that by shutting off the lane, Marquette wouldn't be able to make X pay by hitting 3s ... and he won the bet this time. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't make that adjustment even before halftime. It was ridiculous how easy Kolek got to the hoop, and it was hardly surprising that was taken away in the second half.

As a couple of our fellow Scoopers said, I actually come away from this game more optimistic about the rest of the season. We'll be favored in all but 1 or 2 games (not at UConn, and perhaps not at Creighton) for the rest of the regular season, and I think we'll win all those.

Would have been great to win today, but I'm still high on our 2022-23 Warrior Eagles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2023, 02:15:31 PM »
I'm not ready to crown this Xavier team. Have a feeling they will take over the February fade mantle.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »
I'm not ready to crown this Xavier team. Have a feeling they will take over the February fade mantle.

Can rename it the Freemantle Fade!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
Kolek needed a bit more rest today but it was tough cause no one stepped up.

And that is a recurrent problem, Sultan.
Someone needs to grow some.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2023, 02:45:44 PM »
Taped the game watched on a delay.

1. We have an ogre problem.
2. Nunge was allowed to wall us off with his chest all day and when our players did it it was a foul - someone explain.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2023, 02:45:47 PM »
And that is a recurrent problem, Sultan.
Someone needs to grow some.

Sean is fast and good on the defensive end. But his offensive game is limited. Kam isn’t bad as a back up point.

But this is why benches get shorter as the season goes on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback