[Today at 11:16:26 AM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Commodore 64  (Read 11337 times)

tower912

• All American
Commodore 64
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
1.  Only one game in, so no context.    Does Vandy actually suck?
2.   Solid defensive effort except for the last 5-6 minutes of the first half.
3.   Turnovers were kept to a minimum until a little carelessness at garbage time.   
4.   A whole bunch of guys played absolutely free and fearlessly.
5.   Great bounce back by KR in the second half.   In the first half, he just stunk. 
6.  Matt Heldt = Chris Grimm.    Dude, you can't have YOUR playing time limited by foul trouble. 
7.   There will be better days for Marcus and Rowsey.   Tonight, TC was the right man at the point. 
8.   Luke, JjJ, Haanif..... nice.   In the second half, with TC and KR as their wingmen....  looked really good. 
9.  Nice to make 3's.
10.  Hauser looked great.   Hard to believe how much skinnier he is than Sandy.
11.   It was just one game, but the defense was good and the rebounding was enough.   
12.  24 pt win on a neutral court against an SEC team?!?!?    Congrats to Wojo and the rest of the team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
Re: Commodore 64
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
Oh, yeah, right...  which one was LaChance and why exactly should MU have signed him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
in all fairness, i think it was that last foul call against matt was a bad call.  so subtract one and that does make a big difference.  yes, i know it was called, but...
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
* Outstanding defense, with Carter, JJJ, and Haanif stand outs
* Huge stat line from Luke: rebounds, steals, assists, blocks, and great shooting
* Hauser doesn't play like a freshman
* Howard's defense very shaky
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »
Katin is going to drive us nut a lot, but I like the way the dude played in the second half.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, right...  which one was LaChance and why exactly should MU have signed him?

that's why we had the early game, cuz otherwise it would've been past his bedtime, eyn'er?
don't...don't don't don't don't

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
Does Vanderbilt actually suck?
This game shows the importance of having a point guard.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:24:44 AM by bilsu »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
Wonder why no walk-ons tonight?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Wonder why no walk-ons tonight?

I'm guessing its cuz we got 11 guys who need some minutes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
I'm guessing its cuz we got 11 guys who need some minutes.

Poor bastards can't get in with a 30 point lead?  Well dammit, we need to get a 40 point lead in the next one.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
Good summary as always. Feeling really good after this one for sure. Rooting for Vandy the rest of the way.

Loved the up-tempo play, which was fueled by the 13 steals we had. Also some beautiful passing going on! TC with 5 assists, no TOs!

Going to be interesting with a deep rotation. There are only so many minutes to be had but it keeps energy level high.

It's not a big enough sample size but I feel like Marcus struggles in man to man. Seems to get beat off the dribble. Hopefully he can bounce back and contribute on Monday.

2K Classic is going to be fun!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
Does Vanderbilt actually sick?
This game shows the importance of having a point guard.
I had to explain to Mrs. naginiF what "I hope Vandy isn't this years LSU or ASU" means.

I think it's 30% Vandy not being ready (young/draftees/new coach) and 70% the team can be good.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Luke led the team with 32 minutes.
Nice...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 08:06:26 PM »
Luke led the team with 32 minutes.
Nice...

Cause Matt looked...uh...well...

Let's just hope tonight was an outlier.

tower912

• All American

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
Pitt in double OT vs eastern michigan
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
Poor bastards can't get in with a 30 point lead?  Well dammit, we need to get a 40 point lead in the next one.

Always good when posters are complaining about the walkons not getting in.

Especially in the first game!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »
Fischer and the rest of the defense did a great job of neutralizing Kornet in the second half. After scoring 11 points in the first, he didn't make a FG in the second and had just 2 shot attempts.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 08:38:01 PM »
Always good when posters are complaining about the walkons not getting in.

Especially in the first game!
I knew my comment could be taken as a complaint, it really wasn't.  Nothing to complain about in this one, I just expected them to come in in the last 2 minutes given the lead we had.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:11 PM »
Let's remember playing the other Nashville team last year.

We've got a chance to be good.... real good.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »

We've got a chance to be good.... real good.

Glow, please. My dinner is still in my stomach and I would like to keep it there.

On the second point, I think you are right. This team had poise that escaped last year's team. One game does not a season make, but this was a great outing against a team thought to be our equal.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

... who Vandy gets to turn around and play next.
Welcome to Nashville, Coach Drew.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
Glow, please. My dinner is still in my stomach and I would like to keep it there.

On the second point, I think you are right. This team had poise that escaped last year's team. One game does not a season make, but this was a great outing against a team thought to be our equal.

I was just making the point of how far we've come.  Seriously guys, we 'Iowa-ed' them tonight.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
  • The Naval Academy was excellent. Well worth visiting for the tour alone.
  • Chick & Ruth's Delly for crab cakes.
  • Our fanbase turned out really well, but getting a good "We Are" chant was difficult.
  • Luke was excellent on both ends. Made it tough on them inside.
  • Team rebounding worked. Outrebounded Vandy with 9 of 11 players pulling down multiple boards.
  • Streaky shooting. 13/31 is great, but how many were in the first half? It all came together in the second with defense and shooting all coming together.
  • At one point bridging the halves, Marquette was called on 13 out of 14 consecutive fouls. A lot of contact ignored on our end, but if that becomes a tendency it could be trouble.
  • I know he was 0/3 from the floor, but I love how Rowsey competes. Kid is like a flea, all over the place, always going full speed for the ball.
  • We won't go 0-5 against our non-con high majors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
Great showing all around. Very excited for the season, though I still anticipate a streaky team.

My one concern about the game was the play of Duane and, especially, Sandy. Both guys seemed to overplay, appearing like they really needed to prove themselves in the limited minutes. We'll see how that goes.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »
  • I know he was 0/3 from the floor, but I love how Rowsey competes. Kid is like a flea, all over the place, always going full speed for the ball.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

Because he was a First Team All State player for a great BCHS team and was a very strong AAU performer and grew up 20 minutes from campus and averaged over 12 ppg in the SEC as a freshman before losing his starting spot to a top 15 NBA draft pick?

The guy was 3-5 shooting, 1-2 on free throws, and 2-3 on 3 pointers with 2 assists and 2 rebounds to just 1 turnover while playing out of position.  Not sure where all these people are getting the opinion that he's some horrible basketball player all of a sudden, but okay...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
Great showing all around. Very excited for the season, though I still anticipate a streaky team.

My one concern about the game was the play of Duane and, especially, Sandy. Both guys seemed to overplay, appearing like they really needed to prove themselves in the limited minutes. We'll see how that goes.

I actually thought Duane played very well.

Unrelated, my only complaint about JJJ is that when he isn't going for the steal (which I'm actually fine with even when he doesn't get it, because our defensive rotations are A LOT better than they have been the last 2 years) and he his man is just holding the ball on the perimeter, he starts doing jumping jacks for no reason at all (guessing he's anticipating a lob entry to the post, but see it first before you start jumping to prevent it).  Otherwise he is going to be very good this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
Pitt in double OT vs eastern michigan

...and UConn lost to Wagner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
Because he was a First Team All State player for a great BCHS team and was a very strong AAU performer and grew up 20 minutes from campus and averaged over 12 ppg in the SEC as a freshman before losing his starting spot to a top 15 NBA draft pick?

The guy was 3-5 shooting, 1-2 on free throws, and 2-3 on 3 pointers with 2 assists and 2 rebounds to just 1 turnover while playing out of position.  Not sure where all these people are getting the opinion that he's some horrible basketball player all of a sudden, but okay...

Yeah I gotta agree with this.  He'd look a lot better with a true PG playing with him.  He's not a point.  He lead the team in minutes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 09:29:20 PM »

Unrelated, my only complaint about JJJ is that when he isn't going for the steal (which I'm actually fine with even when he doesn't get it, because our defensive rotations are A LOT better than they have been the last 2 years) and he his man is just holding the ball on the perimeter, he starts doing jumping jacks for no reason at all (guessing he's anticipating a lob entry to the post, but see it first before you start jumping to prevent it).  Otherwise he is going to be very good this year.
One of his steals actually came on that jumping jack move.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
One of his steals actually came on that jumping jack move.

That's true.  I actually forgot he got a steal on that.  But you're right.  I'd still prefer he stay on his feet until he at least reads something that's telling him that pass is coming.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 09:34:26 PM »

Best....Post...Ever...

(also, bought my RHCP tix for the KC show on Wed)

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
Fisher, what foul problems?
Tracy didnt take a second off the entire time he was on the court.  Might have been a response to not starting, but I really like how he played.  Might be my new favorite.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of Flea when watching run around making a nuisance of himself (in a good way).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
Good win against a good program for MU.  The offense was refreshing.  The depth was the story for MU.

Some squeakers and some losses in SEC tonight. Chattanooga over Tennessee. Clemson over Georgia. Ole Miss & Miss St. won by a combined 7 points over Tennessee Martin and Norfolk St.

LeChance had a very good Freshman year and MU would have been very happy to have him. However he lost his shot, his confidence, and his playing time last year.  With Baldwin move on to the NBA, and with newly recruited pg's not yet on campus, he will get his chances to play. 

Vandy looked like a team with a new coach that lost two NBA players and doesn't have a true point guard. Good time to play them.  They will eventually get better.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
...and UConn lost to Wagner.

Eastern Mich is good, Pitt's a bottom 5 ACC team this year in my opinion.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »

• At one point bridging the halves, Marquette was called on 13 out of 14 consecutive fouls. A lot of contact ignored on our end, but if that becomes a tendency it could be trouble.
Funny how refs won't call a foul on guys who won't guard anyone. Game looked well reffed watching on tv.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
If MU is going to make any postseason tournament this year, had to have this one tonight. SEC is awful again, and Vandy's probably finishing fourth - sixth in that league. MU's non-conf schedule is good enough for where MU is as a program, but gotta beat Vandy/Fresno St/UGa, and take two of three from Mich/SMU/Wisconsin to assemble a reasonable resume.

Solid start tonight.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
Love this team.  Rock em wojo!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »
Not sure where all these people are getting the opinion that he's some horrible basketball player all of a sudden, but okay...

Because he was a horrible basketball player last season. Stellar his freshman year. Haven't seen a drop that severe without injury for awhile.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »
Because he was a horrible basketball player last season. Stellar his freshman year. Haven't seen a drop that severe without injury for awhile.

We'all see it from Duane this year. Let's not go overboard with the hyperbole. He wasn't a "terrible basketball player" last year and we see that happen in college sports every year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 05:18:59 AM »
After watching parts of the MSU/Arizona and Kansas/Indiana games, I am of the opinion that Marquette has a ways to go before they are ready to beat those teams. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »
After watching parts of the MSU/Arizona and Kansas/Indiana games, I am of the opinion that Marquette has a ways to go before they are ready to beat those teams.

Hmm. I thought MSU - AZ look very sloppy. Not sure I agree there.

Didn't watch the other game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2016, 08:09:48 AM »

Duane was essentially the same or better with all his KPom statistics last year versus his freshman year.  His eFG% increased to 51.5 from 47.4.  He had the lowest turnover rate (18.5%) by far of the guards/switchables (except JJJ who was at 17.9%). And, his leg was injured, yet he played through that to help the team with little depth.  He also hit some key shots at the ends of games like Wisconsin.

Other than that, good to throw him under the bus.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
Duane was essentially the same or better with all his KPom statistics last year versus his freshman year.  His eFG% increased to 51.5 from 47.4.  He had the lowest turnover rate (18.5%) by far of the guards/switchables (except JJJ who was at 17.9%). And, his leg was injured, yet he played through that to help the team with little depth.  He also hit some key shots at the ends of games like Wisconsin.

Other than that, good to throw him under the bus.

Pretty sure he was referring to Lachance.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
Pretty sure he was referring to Lachance.

Gotcha.  Sorry TAMU, like Wade's I thought you were referencing DW.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
Lachance -  I do not see a need for him on this team. However, we could of used him two years ago.
Wilson- I love Duane, but he does have a tendency to force things.
I watched the Indiana/Kansas game. Indiana is very beatable. The guard dominated dribble drive offense, if you cannot stop it, will make you look very bad, but I think good teams (which all teams are in the NCAA tournament) will be able to handle it. Crean's offense was rarely successful against Bo Ryan's teams, because they just played solid defense. The speed of Kansas getting the ball down court was pretty impressive.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
I had to explain to Mrs. naginiF what "I hope Vandy isn't this years LSU or ASU" means.

I think it's 30% Vandy not being ready (young/draftees/new coach) and 70% the team can be good.

Vandy is going to be awful. No point guard is a real issue. They are bottom third SEC.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
Vandy is going to be awful. No point guard is a real issue. They are bottom third SEC.

A little early to make the determination I think.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
If MU is going to make any postseason tournament this year, had to have this one tonight. SEC is awful again, and Vandy's probably finishing fourth - sixth in that league. MU's non-conf schedule is good enough for where MU is as a program, but gotta beat Vandy/Fresno St/UGa, and take two of three from Mich/SMU/Wisconsin to assemble a reasonable resume.

Solid start tonight.

I don't think we need to go 5-1.  I think 4-2 will be fine.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
We'all see it from Duane this year. Let's not go overboard with the hyperbole. He wasn't a "terrible basketball player" last year and we see that happen in college sports every year.

He shot 25% on 2P FGs. That's terrible. I thought Duane played well last night. If his numbers do drop, it will because his playing time dropped. His per 40 and advanced stats will still be good. Not the case for LaChance last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Just finished watching on the DVR. Two crazy thoughts shared in Wojo's postgame comments on the floor with Parrish and the other CBS commentator:

-Commentators noted that a participant from the past two Veterans Classics had reached the Final Four. They told Wojo he had to keep that streak alive.

-Wojo, clearly trying to temper those expectations, said we just have to get ready for Hampton(?!?) on Monday.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
Just finished watching on the DVR. Two crazy thoughts shared in Wojo's postgame comments on the floor with Parrish and the other CBS commentator:

-Commentators noted that a participant from the past two Veterans Classics had reached the Final Four. They told Wojo he had to keep that streak alive.

-Wojo, clearly trying to temper those expectations, said we just have to get ready for Hampton(?!?) on Monday.
Maybe he knew the direction the "Famous Howard Alumni" thread was going to take

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »

See the thread titled "Onto Monday." He's 100% right.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
See the thread titled "Onto Monday." He's 100% right.
Nah, he's 100% wrong, we play Howard on Monday

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »

To wait until you "see it first", means you will be too late. JJJ did exactly as he should have and, no doubt, as he is coached to do. Agree defensive rotation is very good, and better than it has been in years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »

To wait until you "see it first", means you will be too late. JJJ did exactly as he should have and, no doubt, as he is coached to do. Agree defensive rotation is very good, and better than it has been in years.

So they coach everyone else to stay on their feet and stay in front of the guy you are guarding except for JJ?  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  It's one thing if the guy you're guarding has already used his dribble and picked the ball up, but when your guy just caught the ball there's no reason to be doing jumping jacks in front of him at all.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
For anybody who was wondering why any Scooper would have wanted Riley LaChance at MU...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points

2nd best 3 point percentage in the country while playing out of position at the point guard this year.  60% from 3.  Is he a star?  Nope.  Is his skillset something that is sorely lacking from this year's MU team?  No.  But 1) can you imagine what the kid could've done to open things up for last year's team, playing alongside Hank and Fischer?  And 2) anybody who can shoot 60% from 3 at a high major is welcome on any team I root for.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:25 PM »
For anybody who was wondering why any Scooper would have wanted Riley LaChance at MU...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points

2nd best 3 point percentage in the country while playing out of position at the point guard this year.  60% from 3.  Is he a star?  Nope.  Is his skillset something that is sorely lacking from this year's MU team?  No.  But 1) can you imagine what the kid could've done to open things up for last year's team, playing alongside Hank and Fischer?  And 2) anybody who can shoot 60% from 3 at a high major is welcome on any team I root for.
Looked at the list and Markus Howard is 15th in the country

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
LaChance with 19, 6, and 4 against Kentucky tonight. Guess he may be a high major guard after all.

feedback