[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: tOSU  (Read 5478 times)

tower912

• All American
tOSU
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-ohio-state-basketball-planning-an-unselfish-attack-20131031,0,53397.story

Time to start the discussion.   Everything I have read indicates that the Buckeyes are going to have a very athletic team defense.   While I do not think this is a make-or-break game, it will be the best early season snapshot.   If MU's guards are able to NOT get blown up and dominated, then this could be a very successful team.   This will likely be the best defensive backcourt that MU will face all year.   If DeWilson/Mayo/JJJ/Dawson can handle the pressure in November, it bodes well for February and March.
     If MU gets beat badly, it still isn't the end of the world.   There is time for the guards to grow and develop.   Like most Buzz teams, I think this one will be better in March than it is in November.    If, however, MU wins and wins big, then turn on the deliriously optimistic hype machine.   It will mean that, barring injury, MU is one of the big boys this year and a genuine contender. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: tOSU
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-ohio-state-basketball-planning-an-unselfish-attack-20131031,0,53397.story

Time to start the discussion.   Everything I have read indicates that the Buckeyes are going to have a very athletic team defense.   While I do not think this is a make-or-break game, it will be the best early season snapshot.   If MU's guards are able to NOT get blown up and dominated, then this could be a very successful team.   This will likely be the best defensive backcourt that MU will face all year.   If DeWilson/Mayo/JJJ/Dawson can handle the pressure in November, it bodes well for February and March.
     If MU gets beat badly, it still isn't the end of the world.   There is time for the guards to grow and develop.   Like most Buzz teams, I think this one will be better in March than it is in November.    If, however, MU wins and wins big, then turn on the deliriously optimistic hype machine.   It will mean that, barring injury, MU is one of the big boys this year and a genuine contender. 

Couldn't this possibly also be because OSU is struggling at the beginning of the year, just like we could be?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
tOSU has known quantities in the backcourt.   Lacking an alpha-dog scorer at this point and they may not be as big as they have been in other years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
Are you sure you want to look past the Grambling State game?

tOSU will be more balanced this year and potentially better than their elite eight squad from last year. Their guard's defense will lockdown our guards. I'm sorry buy Craft and Smith Jr. are two of the best on the ball defenders in the nation and we are not experienced enough to beat them.

Their weakness is in the front court. Amir Williams is their only player above 6"8 and he wasn't very good last season. Now he was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school, so the potential is always there. Get him in foul trouble and they are going to have to go really small. Which will actually help them on offense. But we should own the paint.

Basically, if we can dominate the post and they have an off 3 point night, we win. If they are draining treys and forcing TOs, we lose.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
I just hope with keep it within 10.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
We're doomed.  They are way too good for us. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
I think youre all missing the biggest point here. Marquette is playing at home. They havent lost at home since Vandy in 2011. Same thing happened with the Syracuse game last year. Thought we were going to get blown out of the water and end up winning. Home court advantage is huge and the Bradley Center should be rocking that day.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
I think youre all missing the biggest point here. Marquette is playing at home. They havent lost at home since Vandy in 2011. Same thing happened with the Syracuse game last year. Thought we were going to get blown out of the water and end up winning. Home court advantage is huge and the Bradley Center should be rocking that day.

I never thought we were going to get blown out by Syracuse.  I'm glad you brought up the Vandy game, because that is exactly the type of game that I am worried about. 

The key is to be able to slow the pace down and pound the middle.  What concerns me is a very experienced back court going up against Derrick and Todd, and the game turning into a turnover fest.  If we can prevent that and get the ball inside, then I think we will be fine.  But that is why I am worried.

But I do think that even a blow out loss doesn't portend to anything.  MU is going to get better as the season goes on.  Just like last year after getting crushed by Florida. 

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »

tOSU will be more balanced this year and potentially better than their elite eight squad from last year. Their guard's defense will lockdown our guards. I'm sorry buy Craft and Smith Jr. are two of the best on the ball defenders in the nation and we are not experienced enough to beat them.

If they call hand checks as tightly as rumored, Craft (and Derrick Wilson, for that matter) might foul out in 15 minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
If MU guards can hold onto the ball and get into our bigs consistently, MU wins.   If tOSU guards generate a lot of turnovers, the Buckeyes win. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »

I never thought we were going to get blown out by Syracuse.  I'm glad you brought up the Vandy game, because that is exactly the type of game that I am worried about. 

The key is to be able to slow the pace down and pound the middle.  What concerns me is a very experienced back court going up against Derrick and Todd, and the game turning into a turnover fest.  If we can prevent that and get the ball inside, then I think we will be fine.  But that is why I am worried.

But I do think that even a blow out loss doesn't portend to anything.  MU is going to get better as the season goes on.  Just like last year after getting crushed by Florida. 

MU is going to be challenged to score... but I'm not sure if guard turnovers are my concern.

Derrick doesn't turn it over.

What DOES happen is MU doesn't have anybody who can spread the floor (especially Derrick), and OSU's guards will sag and clog driving/passing lanes... and crash hard down on Gardner.

Now, if JJ/Todd/Juan/Jamil can make some shots... then MU has a chance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »
MU is going to be challenged to score... but I'm not sure if guard turnovers are my concern.

Derrick doesn't turn it over.

What DOES happen is MU doesn't have anybody who can spread the floor (especially Derrick), and OSU's guards will sag and clog driving/passing lanes... and crash hard down on Gardner.

Very good points. 

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »
Let's not get jumpy and lets worry about the first game, Southern.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »

Exactly, lets all remember what happened in Gainesville last year and how the year turned out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

We'll definitely need to hit some midrange shots, which is why this is one game we could really miss Vander. But I actually hope they crash down on Gardner. His knack for getting to the line could be huge in this game. Amir Williams isn't going to play 40 minutes, but he's their only big that has actually done anything at this level. Get him into foul trouble and tOSU will either have to put Trey McDonald out for extended minutes or try to use guys like Ross and Thompson on Gardner, which will create mismatches for Juan and Jamil.

The two most important things to me in this game are Derrick Wilson being able to run a smart and efficient game and Amir Williams foul situation. The Buckeyes are very thin up front, and most of their big(ger) men outside of Williams are swing forwards, not legitimate 4/5 type players. This is a team we could really dominate as long as we can get the ball inside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
Exactly, lets all remember what happened in Gainesville last year and how the year turned out.

That was the first MU game i had been able to go to in years.  Why did you have to remind me of that game??   ;D

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
If they call hand checks as tightly as rumored, Craft (and Derrick Wilson, for that matter) might foul out in 15 minutes.

Like Bo Ryan said yesterday at B1G media day, if the rules say "don't put your hands on anyone," then don't put your hands on anyone.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

boyonthedock

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
That was the first MU game i had been able to go to in years.  Why did you have to remind me of that game??   ;D
2 years ago the only game I went to that year was the Vandy game, and I don't appreciate being reminded of it either.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »

I missed the Vandy game (sorry)...but I will be in attendance for the OSU game.  Problem solved.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
I think an even bigger point in addition to this is that it is the first road game for Ohio St. It is very tough to win your first road game in college. However, Ohio St. is a very experienced team, so they should not be effected as much as your average team.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »
Derrick will be fine.  It's his team to run.  He gets it.  Trust me, he gets it.

Jamil is the wild card.  If he plays a full game, we win.  He shows up for the second half, like he has done at times in the past...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Derrick will be fine.  It's his team to run.  He gets it.  Trust me, he gets it.

Jamil is the wild card.  If he plays a full game, we win.  He shows up for the second half, like he has done at times in the past...

I don't know if he'll be fine.

He's been rattled when stressed or pressed or double teamed. He's not a threat from beyond the three so they'll press him.

Our team will depend on how the ball is distributed and it puts Derrick square in the spotlight.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »

He's been rattled when stressed or pressed or double teamed. He's not a threat from beyond the three so they'll press him.

Our team will depend on how the ball is distributed and it puts Derrick square in the spotlight.

If he's not a threat from 3 that's when they'll sag off of him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

You are right.  If he doesn't handle it, the team unravels.  He is key to this year. 

Buzz has always gotten it right.  No reason to believe he is wrong.  And Derrick is cool as a cucumber.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »

Agree about his shooting, but not sure where you get the "rattled" part from.  Derrick did pretty well when he (unexpectedly) was thrust into the game vs Pitt when Junior hurt his ankle last season.  Road game against a team known for its defense...and Derrick made the difference that day by only having 1 TO in 31 minutes.  The fact that he couldn't shoot (0-3) didn't seem to matter much that day.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »
Y'all are puttin' way too much faith in Derrick. He is what he is, i.e., a serviceable back-up point. To expect otherwise is folly.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Agree about his shooting, but not sure where you get the "rattled" part from.  Derrick did pretty well when he (unexpectedly) was thrust into the game vs Pitt when Junior hurt his ankle last season.  Road game against a team known for its defense...and Derrick made the difference that day by only having 1 TO in 31 minutes.  The fact that he couldn't shoot (0-3) didn't seem to matter much that day.

He also only had one assist.  And that is the big issue.  Can he create enough on offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
Y'all are puttin' way too much faith in Derrick. He is what he is, i.e., a serviceable back-up point. To expect otherwise is folly.

I agree that people are placing their expectations too high, but until we see Derrick this season, we can't really judge what level he is at. His role has always been a backup point guard. Buzz is on record saying that he told Derrick not to go for a score. His job was to come in to play hard d and not to turn the basketball over.

Buzz has said he is now the starter. So Derrick will get the green light to be more aggressive.

I'm not saying he's gonna be a stud. But I think 5 ppg, 3 apg, and stellar defense is a safe assumption.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »

I'm hoping Dawson really steps up.  I liked how patient he was and how he stayed within the system during midnight madness.  He has a good stroke and can score when needed.

The question is can he handle the pressure at the college level. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Well we can always start Ox at point if Derrick doesn't pan out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »

He also only had one assist.  And that is the big issue.  Can he create enough on offense.

Yet he played the point in a win...on the road...against a ranked opponent.  But you're right...it's much more fun to assume he isn't ready.... :-\

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
Yet he played the point in a win...on the road...against a ranked opponent.  But you're right...it's much more fun to assume he isn't ready.... :-\

If you check my record on Derrick, I have defended him from the beginning.  However it was clear that he played a very passive role as a PG in that game...a role that I don't think you can play regularly.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Well we can always start Ox at point if Derrick doesn't pan out.

hes the 2nd coming of magic johnson
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 06:44:37 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:23:08 AM by real chili 83 »