Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gardner article  (Read 1921 times)

tower912

• All American
Gardner article
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Gardner article
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
Unfortunately for Gardner on defense they have changed the rules this year. Taking away hand checks and arm bars. I could see Gardner being okay on defense if he could use his strength to prevent players from getting by him. However, if the refs follow the rule change defense will be based more on footwork and being in position than using your hands and upper body. Although Gardner has good foot work, I am not sure how he is going to stay in front of the average power forward. However, on the flip side I do not know how any defender will be able to stop Gardner under the new rules. Also the rule should result in Gardner shooting more free throws, which for him is a good thing. More free throws for Otule would not be a good thing. The rule is also bad for Derrick Wilson, who uses his upper body strength to play defense. He also cannot shoot free throws. The overall plus for MU is that they have great team depth and simply could withstand an extra 12 fouls a game better than most teams could.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
I want to see him guard a player of similar height in space, staying in front of what we would consider a stretch 4.  I want to see him dunk in traffic from a standing start.  If he has lost enough weight and gained enough leg strength to dunk over a big man in traffic, then I believe he could possibly play in the NBA.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »
With how much Buzz utilizes analytics, I wouldn't be surprised to see Davante play the 4 occasionally. If the numbers support the decision, why not give it a try? However, with no other natural 5s outside of Otule and Garnder, I think he has to spend most of his time there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
I think Davante starts the season as the starting 4 and we see from there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
For those that haven't seen him in person, Davante has dramatically changed his body over the summer.  We all know he has excellent feet and hands already but I have to believe that at least part of this transformation is designed to allow him to play at least some #4, both at this level and the next.

Sure he'll play the #5 primarily but my gut tells me that the 'twin tower' combo won't simply be a novelty this year.  Personally, especially given some of DG's comments today, I'm expecting him to start a fair number of games alongside Chris. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
I want to see him guard a player of similar height in space, staying in front of what we would consider a stretch 4.  I want to see him dunk in traffic from a standing start.  If he has lost enough weight and gained enough leg strength to dunk over a big man in traffic, then I believe he could possibly play in the NBA.   

I just want to see him score a billion points each game.  ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Or at least put up numbers like Beasley did in the closed door scrimmage, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Or at least put up numbers like Beasley did in the closed door scrimmage, hey?

Seed killer

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
Unfortunately for Gardner on defense they have changed the rules this year. Taking away hand checks and arm bars. I could see Gardner being okay on defense if he could use his strength to prevent players from getting by him. However, if the refs follow the rule change defense will be based more on footwork and being in position than using your hands and upper body. Although Gardner has good foot work, I am not sure how he is going to stay in front of the average power forward. However, on the flip side I do not know how any defender will be able to stop Gardner under the new rules. Also the rule should result in Gardner shooting more free throws, which for him is a good thing. More free throws for Otule would not be a good thing. The rule is also bad for Derrick Wilson, who uses his upper body strength to play defense. He also cannot shoot free throws. The overall plus for MU is that they have great team depth and simply could withstand an extra 12 fouls a game better than most teams could.

+1000

Excellent, excellent analysis. Agree completely.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback