[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by Viper
[Today at 12:40:16 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If MU loses in the next round, how do you rate the season?

Sweet 16 = good season
238 (95.2%)
Disappontment
12 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 247

Author Topic: If MU loses in the next round, how do you rate the season?  (Read 5560 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: If MU loses in the next round, how do you rate the season?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
Right now I'd say a B. We made the Sweet 16 each of the past two years and I still feel this is Buzz's most talented team, which is why I expect more. Here's my grading scale:

B  Sweet 16 (where we are now)
B+ Elite 8
A- Final Four
A Title Game
A+ I'm sure you all know what that will take... ;D

Brew, you're a great prognosticator, but I'm thankful I didn't have teachers like you - I'd still be in school.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
Brew, you're a great prognosticator, but I'm thankful I didn't have teachers like you - I'd still be in school.

I'm just going off what Davante said yesterday. He was asked after the win if he was happy because he didn't look happy, he responded "I'll be happy after the national championship game."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
This a great season. The team has already overachieved. From a rating standpoint, I would definitely give it high marks. Can it get better? Sure, but that does not diminish what has occurred so far.

Wanting more (ie. advancement to the final four / championship, etc) and appreciating what has already been accomplished (ie. Big East Championship, Sweet Sixteen) are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

I would wager everyone (other than Chicos, of course) on this board wants MU to win it all. That doesn't mean we can't be satisfied with the season in the event we lose next week.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »
Is this a serious question and poll?  How could anyone vote it's not successful?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
I'm just not sure why this matters.  This season has been great.  Ups and downs, great games, sweeping Pitt and Cuse, 2 wins by 3 points in the tourney, can't ask for more than this.  That game yesterday was the most perfect college game you could ask for.  That alone was worth a season.  It has just been entertaining as heck. I love this season.  

So true.  All sorts of ups and downs.  Nice to see us peaking at the right time.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »

Now that makes sense

No it doesn't make sense.  MU was expected to finish 7th and a bubble team.  Even if you thought they would do better, MU had an outside shot at the Big East title.  That was the first Big East championship. If that scale was accurate than the last 2 sweet 16s are Cs.  Look back at the season.

MU beats Wisconsin
Wins Big East regular season
Makes sweet 16

Only thing that would have been better is winning Maui and winning the Big East tourney but no one cares about Maui.  

Right now MU is a top 16 team and unfortunately will most likely play a top 4 team a round earlier than they should.  To beat two top 4 teams to get to the final four far exceeds an A-.  MU is not yet an Elite team so to grade them as such is not accurate scale.  I know you want them to be Elite but it hasn't happened yet.  For a team to get to the Elite 8 and have a regular season championship is huge.  That gets you to Elite.  If MU makes the Final 4 that is beyond an A+ season.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Really can't get revved up the Elite Eight. Sweet 16 means another week, Elite 8 is just a couple of days. Final Four is where it's at.
If we never score another point I would still call this season a remarkable success. I really felt that this season would be what the Red Sox call a "bridge year." Vander has progressed significantly, Jamil has improved, Chris obviously worked on his O while recuperating, Ox has generally been solid. Lockett was a great add and Junior has had his moments (both ways). DWil has done well at what he is expected to do, and Steve T has me salivating over what he might become. Am hoping Juan can make the jump like Van did when he becomes an upperclassman.
A league championship, another sweet 16 - yes, yes, we want more - but these kids have already acquitted themselves just fine.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
I think the season gets an A due to the formation of the new Big East starting next season.  Stability finally.  The fact we are Big East Co-Champs and in the Sweet Sixteen gives the season an A++.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »
I called this year's team an NIT team earlier this year so this is all gravy now

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
I'll be disappointed if we lose in Sweet 16 again but the season will NOT be a disappointment. This team wasnt expected to get back to sweet 16 or win the BE regular season title. We have been successful.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
Conf champions, three seed, sweet sixteen, 3 all big east players, new league formed and set to begin in the fall.

Calling 2013 anything but one of the more remarkable seasons in MU history would be and understatement.

I think we keep winning, at least one more, but this year is already beyond anything close to disappointing.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
I refuse to answer this poll. Never let the possibility of failure creep into your mind. Focus on winning and nothing else.
We Are Marquette

source?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Taking a share of the Big East title for the first time plus the tournament run is pretty satisfying for me.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
We've come this far. Why not go a bit further? No need to talk about losing now lets just go and get what we can get.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
Is this a serious question and poll?  How could anyone vote it's not successful?

My thoughts exactly.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I refuse to answer this poll. Never let the possibility of failure creep into your mind. Focus on winning and nothing else.

You realize you don't play or coach this team right? Our focus has zero impact on the team's performance.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
Last time I checked I could separate reality from desire. Yes this season is a success -- and yes I want to win the next one and yes i will be disappointed if MU doesn't. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Hey, my feeling is we've been playing with house money ever since mid January.  For a team that lost the BE Player of the year and DJO to the NBA draft we have way over achieved.  Now that we're here I'd like a shot at Indiana but I don't see how anyone could say the season is a disappointment.
Now next year, only losing Junior and bringing in a great class including some outside shooting, that will be the year we need to make it happen.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
Some highlights to the season.

A) Beating Wisconsin!

B) Beat LSU after the loss to Green Bay. Team then enjoyed Christmas break.

C) Starting 2-0 with great games at the BC versus Uconn & G'town.

D) Ending the home season by beating Syracuse & ND. 16-0 at home

E) Win the Big East title in a classic finish versus St. John's.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
You realize you don't play or coach this team right? Our focus has zero impact on the team's performance.

Have you ever prayed for anyone? Have you ever wished someone luck?

Positivity is contagious. So is negativity. Thus I prefer to only express positive thoughts about the future.

You obviously may choose to live your life however you choose. Best of luck to you.
We Are Marquette

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »
Every year without winning the national championship is a dismal failure in my book.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
I think that while the team still is playing, it's a moving target.  Now that we've made the Sweet Sixteen, I won't be satisfied unless MU is in the Elite Eight.  Then the Final Four, then the National Championship.

However, once removed from the moment, I already know that I will rate this season as a joy ride and an unequivocal success, made more special to me because I was able to watch more games in person than at any time since I was a student (so far, 5, all at the BC, including Syracuse, ND and Georgetown), and more games on tv/devices (i think all but 2-thank you ESPN3), and had a blast on MUSCOOP following this gritty AND skilled team develop around its gritty and skilled tactician (sorry Buzz, I mean tough coach).

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Every year without winning the national championship is a dismal failure in my book.
Come on! I hope you hold yourself to those same values.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
I really hate to say it, but I'll be disappointed. At the Haunted Hoops Fish Fry, Buzz said that the Sweet 16 was no longer good enough. I want to see them pass the Sweet 16 test this year and get to the Elite 8.

Win Thursday and this year is an absolute success. Lose and while it will still be a good season, I'll be disappointed. Of course, I also had much higher expectations than most did for this team going back to last season.

Coaches say all kinds of things, with Buzz at the top of the say-all-kinds-of-things list.

If MU loses next week, he will have thought this to be an outstanding season, I promise you. He will have been very proud of the team's accomplishments, and will say so repeatedly. And if anybody tries to say they didn't accomplish enough, he will go against his own words and call out that reporter or whomever.

brew, I know you viewed this team more highly than most, and you clearly have been vindicated. Huge props to you, man. But I remain stunned about everything this team has accomplished given its flaws. Hard work, everybody understanding their roles and performing them well, smarts, good coaching, aggressiveness, clutch play and toughness can overcome a lot ... as these guys proved. I already am THRILLED with the season.

My major disappointment if they lose is that I won't have wanted it to end. I've come to really enjoy this heart-attack-inducing team.

So they simply shouldn't lose. There. It's settled!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
Right now I'd say a B. We made the Sweet 16 each of the past two years and I still feel this is Buzz's most talented team, which is why I expect more. Here's my grading scale:

B  Sweet 16 (where we are now)
B+ Elite 8
A- Final Four
A Title Game
A+ I'm sure you all know what that will take... ;D

So you are saying that if you were a college professor who had a large lecture class of 347 students, you would only give an A to the top 4 students, and a B to the next twelve.

Wow.  Tough grader.   
Have some patience, FFS.