'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Benefits From The Scandal  (Read 8860 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Wojo Benefits From The Scandal
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
Wojo makes out well in the college basketball scandal. First because he is squeaky clean, his recruiting pitch , which is already good, becomes even better. Second, because he is squeaky clean, he becomes a very attractive candidate to replace some of the soon to be displaced big time coaches. For example, I think he is going to be a prime candidate for the Arizona job. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:49:32 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Wojo Benefits From The School
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:41:56 PM »
Wojo makes out well in the college basketball scandal. First because he is squeaky clean, his recruiting pitch , which is already good, becomes even better. Second, because he is squeaky clean, he becomes a very attractive candidate to replace some of the soon to be displaced big time coaches. For example, I think he is going to be a prime candidate for the Arizona job.

Wojo is happy in place Hermie

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:10 PM »
I'd be shocked if it's anyone but Damon Stoudamire at UA.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:43:34 PM »

He would be walking into a stained program that might be on probation for a long time, while his program here is about to take off next year and a few beyond. Yes, he could be a candidate, but don't think that is in the cards.  Have you been to Tucson, there is a reason why people pay money to athletes to go there.  Ha ha.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »

Nope.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Re: Wojo Benefits From The Scandal
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »

Little early for pretty much all of this.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »

Doesn't have the neck for the Arizona job.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:12:12 AM »

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:17:21 AM by jesmu84 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
There is no Arizona job for a while.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:31:37 AM »

We all know that is what you are hoping for. Just clearing room for Saint Stan and the second coming of Kostas!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »

What you’re saying is Wojo has no shot at top 20 guys.  Therefore programs like AZ that don’t care about anything except wins will not call.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 05:33:41 AM »
There is no Arizona job for a while.

Don’t be so sure about that.  AZ has to self-sanction to reduce penalties, and given the Louisville/Bowen precedent, I would not be surprised if Ayton ALREADY played his last minute of college basketball the season (career).

When current NBA players are tweeting this, you’re in deep doo-doo

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Milwaukee Bucks guard Jason Terry, who played at Arizona under coach Lute Olson from 1995 to '99, tweeted that it's time to for the Wildcats to "clean house."

@APlayersProgram BearDown it's time to clean house and bring home our own bloodlines to carry on Lutes Legacy. We have too much pride, too much tradition to allow outsiders to tear down what we built.

— Jason Terry (@jasonterry31) February 24, 2018

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 06:08:14 AM »
Arizona will let him go for cause and self-sanction.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
Basketball as a whole loses because of this. Wojo may (emphasis) be clean, but this is a bruise on college basketball. We all knew or suspected it was there; now it's impossible to not address.

Just hope the NCAA actually does something tangible to address the real root cause

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »
He would be walking into a stained program that might be on probation for a long time, while his program here is about to take off next year and a few beyond. Yes, he could be a candidate, but don't think that is in the cards.  Have you been to Tucson, there is a reason why people pay money to athletes to go there.  Ha ha.
U of A isn't a nice campus?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Jason Terry would be a fantastic coach.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
Hermie may be on to something - Wojo’s specialty is rebuilds. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
Befour any y'all get wood over Wojo, let's bee certain der's no trail ta him two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
I don't think Arizona will want a coach with a single post season game on his record. I don't think a coach like wojo will want  a program like Arizona state.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
Arizona will let him go for cause and self-sanction.

Yes, and according to that ESPN article, Arizona still has to pay him 10 Million, if I read it correctly.  Other coaches will say "i had no idea this was happening" and it has already started and without some evidence, those coaches may have a chance.  Miller is caught on tape with direct conversations about payment with a federally charged subject, he is gone.  Have to prove that Ayton actually accepted the money and just not talk.  Sure they have subpoenaed bank records, etc. and if the media leaks on this investigation continue, we should hear too.  Who is leaking this stuff to the media is just unreal. 

As far as Wojo being a candidate for Arizona and soon "displaced", I don't see it. 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
Crean to AZ

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »

WhyTF would Wojo go to AZ when there are HC openings at Duke, UNC, KU, UK, and Moo U?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
WhyTF would Wojo go to AZ when there are HC openings at Duke, UNC, KU, UK, and Moo U?

I have an feeling he would never be offered or take a job at UNC
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
Mods change thread title.

Very misleading.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 09:21:28 AM »
Basketball as a whole loses because of this. Wojo may (emphasis) be clean, but this is a bruise on college basketball. We all knew or suspected it was there; now it's impossible to not address.

Just hope the NCAA actually does something tangible to address the real root cause

Cynics will say only one-and-done and first rounders get paid (which is true) and Wojo only had one (Henry) so far and he did not get caught. Besides he took Wally so “something was up.”

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »
Changed my mind...delete this thread.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 09:28:08 AM »

If any if these programs have openings this year (and throw in Michigan State for other reasons), they will also be sanctioned.  Sure go to Duke but they will probably have no post season for a few years, reduced scholarships and restrictions on recruiting for years.  Besides everyone transfers and decommits and you start with nothing.

The best place to be might be at a clean BE team with Howard and the Hausers waving your arms at blue chip recruits saying “look over here.”

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »

The root cause is players are not paid.  The NCAA is leading the charge to not pay them, even arguing a clause in the 13th amendment is a reason why.

NCAA cites 13th Amendment slavery loophole when arguing why they shouldn’t pay student athletes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rawstory.com/2018/02/ncaa-cites-13th-amendment-slavery-loophole-arguing-shouldnt-pay-student-athletes/amp/

The optics of this are beyond bad.  And it’s means the NCAA is fully committing all their resources to keeping the corrupt and broken system in place.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »
If any if these programs have openings this year (and throw in Michigan State for other reasons), they will also be sanctioned.  Sure go to Duke but they will probably have no post season for a few years, reduced scholarships and restrictions on recruiting for years.  Besides everyone transfers and decommits and you start with nothing.

The best place to be might be at a clean BE team with Howard and the Hausers waving your arms at blue chip recruits saying “look over here.”

I remain incredibly skeptical that Duke and other programs are going to have anywhere near as harsh of penalties as you’re describing.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »

Well if the FBI is involved it has to be the Russians.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »
Jason Terry would be a fantastic coach.
JT was coaching the Bucks for the first half of the season. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

connie

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »
I remain incredibly skeptical that Duke and other programs are going to have anywhere near as harsh of penalties as you’re describing.
No kidding.  I never imagined that the Board of UNC would allow a defense to violations that essentially claimed their entire degree program was a farce, yet they did.  The only hesitation I would have is this is the feds, and they do tend to "get their man."
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »

If this is as pervasive as described, I think there are no program penalties of substance.  I am sure there will be a individuals that will be punished....probably weighted toward ACs.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Yes, and according to that ESPN article, Arizona still has to pay him 10 Million, if I read it correctly.  Other coaches will say "i had no idea this was happening" and it has already started and without some evidence, those coaches may have a chance.   

3000 hours of tapes. He will not be the only coach on them.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
U of A to pursue Woj? Hahahahaha
No Finish Line

Boone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
we should be so lucky

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
I’m sure the blue bloods & perennial top 25 programs will be very interested in pursuing Wojo...after all, he made it a close game on the road for a half against a 10-17 DePaul juggernaut.
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
Don’t be so sure about that.  AZ has to self-sanction to reduce penalties, and given the Louisville/Bowen precedent, I would not be surprised if Ayton ALREADY played his last minute of college basketball the season (career).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Milwaukee Bucks guard Jason Terry, who played at Arizona under coach Lute Olson from 1995 to '99,tweeted that it's time to for the Wildcats to "clean house."

@APlayersProgram BearDown it's time to clean house and bring home our own bloodlines to carry on Lutes Legacy. We have too much pride, too much tradition to allow outsiders to tear down what we built.

You mean the same Jason Terry who took $45K from an agent while playing at Arizona?

https://mobile.twitter.com/loni643/status/967266387998662656
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Hermie may be on to something - Wojo’s specialty is rebuilds.

Haha I think you forgot to use teal.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »
With all the stuff hittin' the fan, Tom Crean may actually land a decent gig. Who woulda thunk it?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
I think TC is still viewed pretty favorably by many in college basketball. Given the recent events, it was smart of him to take the year off and not jump right into a random gig last year (as long as he isn't implicated for anything from when he was at IU).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
I think TC is still viewed pretty favorably by many in college basketball. Given the recent events, it was smart of him to take the year off and not jump right into a random gig last year (as long as he isn't implicated for anything from when he was at IU).

You know you are going to get a decent coach who stays relatively clean.  He not going to win you a championship but he will make you respectable. 

I don't think he gets the Arizona job.  But at another P6 school?  Sure.  If Tubby Smith can keep getting jobs, Crean sure can.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Haha I think you forgot to use teal.

I didn’t think agreeing with 999 and rebuild would need teal.  But yes I was being sarcastic. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
Tom Crean was the head coach of one of the schools trying to be the highest bidder for Brian Bowen, they just happened to lose the bidding war.  IU was trying to "trade" an agent OG and Thomas Bryant for Bowen.  Crean wasn't named, an assistant for him was, but I'm not sure I'd be looking to add an IU coach if I'm Arizona or someone else looking to fill a coaching position that was vacated because of this investigation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
Fook Tom Crean, Who cares? We've got our own problems when ya can't beet fookin' DePaul and a potential Tourney bid rides on it. Fookin' pathetic, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
I take this to mean that Miller was effectively fired today.  They cannot announce it because they are negotiating with his agent over his severance.

I also expect that Ayton will not play tonight or ever again for U of A.  They will not play the Pac-12 tourney or the NCAA.  They are done.

Sean Miller won't coach Arizona's game Saturday vs. Oregon
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22567552/sean-miller-coach-arizona-wildcats-saturday-oregon-ducks

Sean Miller will not coach Arizona's game Saturday against Oregon in the wake of his reported involvement in a discussion to pay a potential recruit, sources told ESPN's Mark Schlabach and Jeff Goodman.

Ayton was at shootaround Saturday, but his status for the Wildcats' game is uncertain.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 03:52:56 PM »
The only benefit Wojo gets from the scandal is that he will be offered a position at Duke consummate with his skills: Ballboy/Floorslapper.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
I take this to mean that Miller was effectively fired today.  They cannot announce it because they are negotiating with his agent over his severance.

I also expect that Ayton will not play tonight or ever again for U of A.  They will not play the Pac-12 tourney or the NCAA.  They are done.

Sean Miller won't coach Arizona's game Saturday vs. Oregon
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22567552/sean-miller-coach-arizona-wildcats-saturday-oregon-ducks

Sean Miller will not coach Arizona's game Saturday against Oregon in the wake of his reported involvement in a discussion to pay a potential recruit, sources told ESPN's Mark Schlabach and Jeff Goodman.

Ayton was at shootaround Saturday, but his status for the Wildcats' game is uncertain.

Your expectation for Ayton is wrong. He’s playing tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »

How does Arizona reconcile this decision with the evidence? Did Miller pay some other player? Maybe they figure Ayton is going to be ruled ineligible anyway and they'll have to forfeit all their games so why not just ride it out. Strange.   

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »

That does not mean that AZ is making the right call.  They are risking this game being vacated for using an ineligible player.  And the NCAA will add to their punishment for knowingly using an ineligible player.

Ayton is like Bowen at Louisville. He is toxic.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
How does Arizona reconcile this decision with the evidence? Did Miller pay some other player? Maybe they figure Ayton is going to be ruled ineligible anyway and they'll have to forfeit all their games so why not just ride it out. Strange.

agreed ... why is Miller not coaching tonight because he said to pay Ayton but Ayton still gets to play?  Bad decision

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
Shaq's kid is bailing out and not going to AZ.  The rats jumping off the sinking ship.

Stick a fork in AZ, they are done and might take longer to return to the NCAA tourney than Bucky.

(less than 2 hours old)
Arizona commit Shareef O'Neal, Shaquille's son, opens recruitment amid probe
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22567755/shareef-oneal-decommits-arizona-wildcats-amid-fbi-probe

Shareef O’Neal
@SSJreef
At this time I'm am opening up my recruitment due to the current events with the UofA Bball team.I would like to thank all the coaches for recruiting me. At the time my family and I think it's in my best interest to look at other options to assure my play in the NCAA next year.
2:39 PM - Feb 24, 2018

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
The news is coming fast ...

Miles Bridges, Chimezie Metu and Kevin Knox deemed eligible amid probe
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22566029/michigan-state-miles-bridges-usc-chimezie-metu-kentucky-kevin-knox-eligible-being-named-documents

They better hope they are still considered eligible in a week or 10 days because if they all used ineligible players, they might all be ineligible for the NCAA Tourney in two weeks.

MU might still make it in despite losing the Depaul after all!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
The only benefit Wojo gets from the scandal is that he will be offered a position at Duke consummate with his skills: Ballboy/Floorslapper.

Try growing up, it's worth the effort, I swear.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »

I'm not surprised.  A recorded phone conversation is reliable proof.  There's nothing that definite implicating Ayton, yet.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 05:00:27 PM »
Try growing up, it's worth the effort, I swear.
Already have. et us know when you have arrived.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2018, 06:07:24 PM »
Shaq's kid is bailing out and not going to AZ.  The rats jumping off the sinking ship.

Stick a fork in AZ, they are done and might take longer to return to the NCAA tourney than Bucky.

(less than 2 hours old)
Arizona commit Shareef O'Neal, Shaquille's son, opens recruitment amid probe
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22567755/shareef-oneal-decommits-arizona-wildcats-amid-fbi-probe

Shareef O’Neal
@SSJreef
At this time I'm am opening up my recruitment due to the current events with the UofA Bball team.I would like to thank all the coaches for recruiting me. At the time my family and I think it's in my best interest to look at other options to assure my play in the NCAA next year.
2:39 PM - Feb 24, 2018
Lets get out name in the Que.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
agreed ... why is Miller not coaching tonight because he said to pay Ayton but Ayton still gets to play?  Bad decision

If there is nothing showing that Alton got paid then he hasn’t compromised his amateurism or eligibility. Miller, on the other hand, demonstrated an intent to break NCAA bylaws and federal laws.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »

Arizona might be looking at it from a due process lens. There's evidence that Miller did something against the rules. I may have missed it but I don't know that we have evidence that Ayton actually received the money yet.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
Arizona might be looking at it from a due process lens. There's evidence that Miller did something against the rules. I may have missed it but I don't know that we have evidence that Ayton actually received the money yet.

Miller put out a statement that he will be vindicated. Posturing or does he have a defense?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »
Miller put out a statement that he will be vindicated. Posturing or does he have a defense?

He’s on a wire tap discussing making sure a $100K payment is made to guarantee a player that did end up at AZ ended up at AZ. I can’t see anything that would vindicate him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
He’s on a wire tap discussing making sure a $100K payment is made to guarantee a player that did end up at AZ ended up at AZ. I can’t see anything that would vindicate him.

Here is the article on his statement.  More to the story?  It seems odd that if the wiretap was as clear cut as it appears, that he would be better off shutting up instead of issuing this statement. If not, then I guess he is pulling the Pitino Defense expecting that to work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/370085002

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2018, 08:34:27 PM »

That’s not quite how it works with NCAA bylaws. You have to show that a SA didn’t take money or commit a violation if alleged. Due Process does not apply here. It’s not a court of law. Same reason Cam Newton was suspended when it was alleged his dad was trying to sell his services to Mississippi State. The pretend knowledge here astounds....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:36:08 PM by Billy Hoyle »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
That’s not quite how it works with NCAA bylaws. You have to show that a SA didn’t take money or commit a violation if alleged. Due Process does not apply here. It’s not a court of law. Same reason Cam Newton was suspended when it was alleged his dad was trying to sell his services to Mississippi State. The pretend knowledge here astounds....

Go back and read what I wrote. I said a due process lens, not actually due process. A school doesn't need due process to sit a player. They could tell a player not to sit because he farted in front of the provost if they felt like it. But the university may not feel right benching a player when there's only hearsay that he might have taken money he wasn't supposed to. Didn't say that was the right or wrong or approach, but might explain their thought process.
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2018, 05:27:59 AM »
Sound like Ayton is invoking the Cam Newton defense (Cam got off because it was his dad soliciting money for Cam without Cam’s knowledge.)

So Ayton did not discuss or solicit money.  Did he stay willfully ignorant while his parent(s) did?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22573538/deandre-ayton-arizona-wildcats-play-questions-surround-future-coach-sean-miller

Prior to Saturday's game, a lawyer representing Ayton's family released a statement saying the family members were "outraged and disgusted by recent news stories which have falsely implied" any involvement in the matter.

"[Ayton] directly stated to the FBI, more than six months ago, that he never discussed or solicited payments from the University of Arizona, or any other university, or any shoe company or anyone on behalf of either -- period. This includes basketball and anything else," the statement said.

The Arizona Board of Regents met in an emergency executive session Saturday "to receive legal advice regarding the issue and plans to reconvene for updates and legal advice in the coming days."

"This is an emotionally charged issue but it is essential that we move forward decisively and based on facts. We must do everything we can to ensure that our programs are of the highest caliber as we must also protect the rights of all involved and respect due process for employees," regents chair Bill Ridenour said in a statement.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2018, 05:46:50 AM »
Schools with active players implicated
Alabama (Collin Sexton),
Arizona (Dandre Ayton)
Duke (Wendell Carter),
Kentucky (Kevin Knox),
Michigan State (Miles Bridges),
South Carolina (Brian Bowen),
Texas (Eric Davis Jr.),
USC (Bennie Boatwright)

Note that Bowen transferred from Louisville and has not played or been cleared by the NCAA to play.

——-

Do they have a choice?  Hold them out and you admitting you used an ineligible player.  Might as well shut down the season as you will not get a Post season bid and might even have to skip your conference tournament.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22572170/kentucky-wildcats-freshman-kevin-knox-deflects-questions-fbi-investigation-reports

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22570709/duke-blue-devils-coach-mike-krzyzewski-very-comfortable-playing-wendell-carter-jr-wake-report

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:12 AM »
SI's take on why no players have been deemed ineligible ... at this point, they have nothing to lose by playing them.

They implied that the NCAA will not blow apart their own tourney by banning what could be the elite eight.  It's like these elite teams are saying "yeah, we cheated, what are you going to do about it?"

http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/02/25/sean-miller-deandre-ayton-arizona-ncaa-fbi-investigation

Given the well-established precedent for caution in matters of player eligibility, the speed at which high-profile stars like Ayton, Carter, Michigan State’s Miles Bridges and Kentucky’s Kevin Knox were cleared internally is not without significance. These decisions came down fast. Individual teams’ decisions to push through and allow them to take the court may be indicative of the fact that at this point, with the sport already on the precipice of widespread punishment, there’s little for programs to lose by letting them play, and little to gain for punishing kids who are already victims of a deep-rooted, flawed system. Many will head to the NBA draft in a matter of weeks regardless.

USC’s De’Anthony Melton and Auburn’s Austin Wiley were among players held out all season after the initial wave of FBI-related coach arrests. Neither was directly named in the first place. After stringing Melton out and ending his college career out of fear, the Trojans allowed Chimezie Metu to play on Saturday after being implicated in ASM’s payment records. What gives? Either the reported FBI evidence isn’t substantial enough for teams to warrant holding these players out, or programs are content to let them hoop knowing the house is burning down regardless. Perhaps some degree of lenience is coming from the NCAA given the breadth of parties involved. From a business standpoint, the thought of a March Madness without star players and coaches benefits nobody.

In reality, anyone who’s ever spent time with an ear to the ground in the world of college hoops has a base understanding of how business gets done under the table. At bare minimum, there’s a widespread awareness that it takes place. Any level of shock and awe at the proceedings or heavy-handed moral posturing coming from the basketball punditry at-large is more surprising than the news itself. NBA teams conduct thorough background checks into prospects, and given past precedent, are unlikely to frown heavily upon a player for taking cash. For better or worse, cheating has been standard practice in an intricate ecosystem, at least until someone gets caught.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:42:03 AM by Tugg Speedman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »
Which is exactly why the NCAA has to acknowledge that the concept is amateurism is failed and flawed.  Its beyond time to craft ways that appropriate compensation is given above board.  They aren't going to get the genie back in the bottle.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
Which is exactly why the NCAA has to acknowledge that the concept is amateurism is failed and flawed.  Its beyond time to craft ways that appropriate compensation is given above board.  They aren't going to get the genie back in the bottle.

+1.  The basis for the NCAA rulings going back to Newton is that it was the family members who took money but not the athletes. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
Here is the article on his statement.  More to the story?  It seems odd that if the wiretap was as clear cut as it appears, that he would be better off shutting up instead of issuing this statement. If not, then I guess he is pulling the Pitino Defense expecting that to work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/370085002

He is pulling the Pitino defense. He has to. He will go to his grave claiming he is innocent. He has $10 million and any possibility of ever coaching again at stake. Not only will he claim he is innocent he will start suing the university and everyone else involved within weeks. I guaranty it. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »

Milwaukee Bucks guard Jason Terry, who played at Arizona under coach Lute Olson from 1995 to '99, tweeted that it's time to for the Wildcats to "clean house."

Should have really said no one would want that job for a while I imagine they'll have to give up post season 2-3 years (including this year maybe)
Goal is National Championship

feedback