[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I know "we're" excited but how excited is John Q Public?  (Read 8859 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: I know "we're" excited but how excited is John Q Public?
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
-------------------

I think one group that will be loosely tracking MU more than usual is Minnesota fans. Obviously ex-Gopher Wally and Henry are with MU, but Sacar was also the subject of many debates over the years relative to the Gophers...

I think they will be upset Big time, that Sacar got away, Four HS titles and POY, how can you let that happen.  How much of an impact will he have in recruiting his buddies.  Especially after the way we play this year!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
If we start the season off 5-0, we will be ranked and John Q Public will start to care.

With our non-con cake walk, it will be interesting to see if our 11-2 start garners attention locally or if everyone will take it for what it is.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:31 AM »

I think they will be upset Big time, that Sacar got away, Four HS titles and POY, how can you let that happen.  How much of an impact will he have in recruiting his buddies.  Especially after the way we play this year!

We should set up a game against Minnesota next year. Sacar really wanted to stay home an go to The U but they never offered him.

I'd like to see something like when Vander wentinto the Kohl Hole for payback

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
With our non-con cake walk, it will be interesting to see if our 11-2 start garners attention locally or if everyone will take it for what it is.

John Q Public has no idea that our schedule is a cake walk. Plus, 11-2 means three wins over Belmont, Iowa, lsu, Arizona state, NC state, or Wisconsin. I would be ecstatic going 3-2 against that group
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
I've noticed that a really good season, tends to result in more interest the following year.

If Ellenson gets a lot of press and is a top 10 projected pick, I'd expect to get some casual fan interest come January-February, especially if we are top 25 (which if he is doing well, we could be).

But I wouldn't expect too much for this season, unless we are really good.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »
John Q Public has no idea that our schedule is a cake walk. Plus, 11-2 means three wins over Belmont, Iowa, lsu, Arizona state, NC state, or Wisconsin. I would be ecstatic going 3-2 against that group

I think they will be aware because that caveat will be put on the record every time it's mentioned....same thing happened to DePaul last year "DePaul is 9-2 going into conference play but that's against one of the easiest schedules in the country" or  "DePaul, with a very soft schedule, is off to a strong 9-2 record", etc.

That's the national media, not sure what local did in Chicago or what the local would do in Milwaukee.  Depending on how the Packers and what bowl the Badgers are in....it may not get mentioned at all.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
I think they will be aware because that caveat will be put on the record every time it's mentioned....same thing happened to DePaul last year "DePaul is 9-2 going into conference play but that's against one of the easiest schedules in the country" or  "DePaul, with a very soft schedule, is off to a strong 9-2 record", etc.

That's the national media, not sure what local did in Chicago or what the local would do in Milwaukee.  Depending on how the Packers and what bowl the Badgers are in....it may not get mentioned at all.

DePaul got that caveat last year because when someone sees a "DePaul 9-2" headline, they're going to go looking for the caveat whether or not it's disclosed.  It's a conditioned response that takes years, decades perhaps, to develop.  MU will not elicit such Pavlovian behavior after a 12-1 start.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »

There's also the issue of Minnesota recruiting Anim's teammate who has the heart ailment and will not be playing for the Gophers.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
MU will not elicit such Pavlovian behavior after a 12-1 start.

Whatever hallucinogen you're having, I'll take some  :P

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
Whatever hallucinogen you're having, I'll take some  :P

Hey now... I'm not the one pushing the cakewalk here.

That said, we're already 4-0. 8-)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »
That said, we're already 4-0. 8-)

I heard we got moved to a 3 seed from a 7 based on that

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
We should set up a game against Minnesota next year. Sacar really wanted to stay home an go to The U but they never offered him.

I think that could evolve into a very nice rivalry and help in recruiting on both sides.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

Big difference. Vander was a 4.5*. Wisconsin wanted him badly, and had him as a verbal. After Buzz coached up Wesley (and removed the "chains") Matthews convinced Blue to reconsider. Sacar is a 3* and Minny didn't want him. UW fans hated Vander. Most Minnesota fans have never heard of Sacar.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
Big difference. Vander was a 4.5*. Wisconsin wanted him badly, and had him as a verbal. After Buzz coached up Wesley (and removed the "chains") Matthews convinced Blue to reconsider. Sacar is a 3* and Minny didn't want him. UW fans hated Vander. Most Minnesota fans have never heard of Sacar.

Agreed.

I was looking at it from allowing Sacar to unleash with a big chip on his shoulder.

You're right, though, there's not even a guarantee that he'll be playing starter minutes next year.

feedback