[Today at 09:33:51 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McMorrow drafted in D-League  (Read 8796 times)

deerchaser

• Starter
McMorrow drafted in D-League
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
Saw this in my paper yesterday.  Liam McMorrow was apparently drafted in the 4th round of the D-League draft, for what that's worth.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121102/SPORTS/311020082/NBA-D-League-Draft-Energy-s-top-draft-pick-familiar-Iowa

GGGG

• All American
Re: McMorrow drafted in D-League
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
A complete potential pick.  He didn't do much of anything at Tennessee Tech.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:36 AM »
I wish him all of the best.   I honestly think that if his heath had not been an issue, with the coaching he would have had at MU, that he would have ended up a contributor.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Can't teach height. He started just six games for Tennessee Tech last year.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
This is exactly why I could see Otule getting a run at some point. He has size and I have more faith in his defensive skills and work ethic than McMorrow. While I realize much of what happened to Liam wasn't his fault, CO has shown more ability to overcome injuries and shortcomings. There simply aren't a lot of 6'11", 7'5" wingspan guys with a natural knack for blocking shots out there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
Other than Liam, I ony saw one other MU connection on th NBADL rosters: Ron Howard.
SS Marquette

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
Stretching the truth a little bit aren't we Liam???

Liam McMorrow, who at 7 feet two inches, stands nearly as tall as the NBA's current tallest player, Hasheem Thabeet. Growing up in Toronto, he took an unlikely path to professional basketball. After playing hockey and lacrosse for most of his youth, he found himself suddenly measuring over 7 feet tall post high school and looking at at his choice of sports from a different vantage point. Out of high school and lacking any organized basketball experience, McMorrow found himself playing NCAA Division I Golden Eagles basketball on a full scholarship and would later be picked up by the Iowa Energy in the fourth round of the NBA Development League draft. Shortly after his time with the Iowa Energy, he was invited to work with world famous NBA trainer, Joe Abunassar, at IMPACT Basketball in Las Vegas. Following an intensive 4-month training program, he landed on the New York Knicks roster for the 2013 Summer League season.

Known for his physical presence and athletic prowess, McMorrow commands the court and plays a dominating defensive game. With great awareness and using his size to his advantage, he's constantly challenging opponents and maintaining a strong rebounding positioning. A trained ball player, his game focus and his desire to never stop training has propelled him into an elite category of basketball players.

http://www.theliammcmorrow.com/about.cfm

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
Stretching the truth a little bit aren't we Liam???

Liam McMorrow, who at 7 feet two inches, stands nearly as tall as the NBA's current tallest player, Hasheem Thabeet. Growing up in Toronto, he took an unlikely path to professional basketball. After playing hockey and lacrosse for most of his youth, he found himself suddenly measuring over 7 feet tall post high school and looking at at his choice of sports from a different vantage point. Out of high school and lacking any organized basketball experience, McMorrow found himself playing NCAA Division I Golden Eagles basketball on a full scholarship and would later be picked up by the Iowa Energy in the fourth round of the NBA Development League draft. Shortly after his time with the Iowa Energy, he was invited to work with world famous NBA trainer, Joe Abunassar, at IMPACT Basketball in Las Vegas. Following an intensive 4-month training program, he landed on the New York Knicks roster for the 2013 Summer League season.

He played D-I college basketball for the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles.

You went back to November 2012 for this?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
Per the Scoop Wiki:

"McMorrow was never able to suit up for Marquette. After sitting out his first year as a transfer, an extensive evaluation process determined that McMorrow is medically incapacitated to participate in basketball at the collegiate level. The Toronto, Ontario, native remained enrolled at the University as he continued to pursue his bachelor's degree in broadcasting."

Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
Other than Liam, I ony saw one other MU connection on th NBADL rosters: Ron Howard.

The Milwaukee native, out of Jefferson High?

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
He played D-I college basketball for the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles.

You went back to November 2012 for this?

Sorry jb.  Figured chances were slim tenn tech weas also the golden eagles and don't care enough about them to bother looking them up. A quick search of Liam found this posting and I just saw another infrequent poster get chastised for starting new threads on discussed topics.

Enjoy your recruiting info. Gophers suck.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
Sorry jb.  Figured chances were slim tenn tech weas also the golden eagles and don't care enough about them to bother looking them up. A quick search of Liam found this posting and I just saw another infrequent poster get chastised for starting new threads on discussed topics.

Enjoy your recruiting info. Gophers suck.

Ha.. thanks. In fairness to you, Liam's website does leave out the school's name and wouldn't be surprised if that was done intentionally with the idea people will think "Marquette".

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »
Is a medical evaluation exclusive to each school? Meaning--MU finds him medically incapacitated to play bball in college. As we now know, that wasn't true. Can each school's staff determine if a player is unfit to play, and have another school suggest that he is fine, risk is low, etc.?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:22:48 AM by We R Final Four »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
JB--is a medical evaluation exclusive to each school? Meaning--MU finds him medically incapacitated to play bball in college. As we now know, that wasn't true. Can each school's staff determine if a player is unfit to play, and have another school suggest that he is fine, risk is low, etc.?

From what I recall, that's exactly what happened. MU's medical staff determined it was too risky for McMorrow to continue playing, so he went somewhere that would let him play. Not hard to find some low-major willing to take a flier when you have his size.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 09:21:13 AM »
Depends how badly they need the scholarship for someone else.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
JB--is a medical evaluation exclusive to each school? Meaning--MU finds him medically incapacitated to play bball in college. As we now know, that wasn't true. Can each school's staff determine if a player is unfit to play, and have another school suggest that he is fine, risk is low, etc.?

Yes, it's exclusive to each school. I wouldn't say "it wasn't true" - I don't know - circumstances can change and qualified medical professionals routinely have differences of opinions. But, yes, each argument made to the NCAA is separate.

To have a kid be a medical non-counter, there is only vague medical documentation requirements - so it can and does widely vary. (1) state the diagnosis/description of the injury/illness and (2) demonstrate that it's incapacitating.

The D-I bylaws actually have a section dedicated to "Change in Circumstances"... what the rules seem to be most concerned with is a school who might try to convert a player into a non-counter, then later say he's eligible (i.e., potentially as a scholarship management technique).

If McMorrow would have played for MU after he was a non-counter, MU would have had to shown there had been a change in circumstances and that when they previously asked that he be a medical non-counter, there was no reasonable expectation that he'd ever play college sports again (otherwise he'd be a retroactive counter for years in which he was a non-counter).

However, if you go to a different school I don't think there is any issue.. just enroll and hop on the court.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »
Depends how badly they need the scholarship for someone else.

This.

With all the circle jerking self righteous hypocritical lemming talk this board sees, the lack of panty bunching on this one always surprised.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
Is a medical evaluation exclusive to each school? Meaning--MU finds him medically incapacitated to play bball in college. As we now know, that wasn't true. Can each school's staff determine if a player is unfit to play, and have another school suggest that he is fine, risk is low, etc.?

Negedu, Tennessee (ended up playing at New Mexico) and Chaney from virginia tech (ended up playing at High Point) come to mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
This.

With all the circle jerking self righteous hypocritical lemming talk this board sees, the lack of panty bunching on this one always surprised.

Did they need his scholarship?  Honestly, there was so much turnover on that roster that I can't remember who came, who left, and when they did so.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
From what I recall, that's exactly what happened. MU's medical staff determined it was too risky for McMorrow to continue playing, so he went somewhere that would let him play. Not hard to find some low-major willing to take a flier when you have his size.

As I recall, the MU coaching staff actually helped him to win the transfer, which tells me that the health risk was cleared by MU's medical team.

If MU's medical team didn't clear Liam, then ethically I can't imagine Buzz letting the coaching staff to help him play anywhere.  After all--that would mean that Buzz either doesn't trust the medical opinion of his own doctors--or he would be willing to put aside that medical opinion to put the life of another human being at risk.

Besides, there is no way the MU legal team would have permitted them to help because of the risk involved--think of the liablity to MU if our doctors said he can't play, but our coaches helped him transfer.

The D-I bylaws actually have a section dedicated to "Change in Circumstances"... what the rules seem to be most concerned with is a school who might try to convert a player into a non-counter, then later say he's eligible (i.e., potentially as a scholarship management technique).

If McMorrow would have played for MU after he was a non-counter, MU would have had to shown there had been a change in circumstances and that when they previously asked that he be a medical non-counter, there was no reasonable expectation that he'd ever play college sports again (otherwise he'd be a retroactive counter for years in which he was a non-counter).

However, if you go to a different school I don't think there is any issue.. just enroll and hop on the court.

In other words, assuming that MU didn't misrepresent Liam's incapacitation in the first place, Liam's change in medical condition that enabled him to play again would most certainly not have been an issue for MU.  MU would have to request a waiver--similar to what they had to do for Chris Otule. 

But clearly in this instance--unless MU was lying (which I highly doubt)--they initially had legitimate concern that Liam would never play again, and later medical diagnosis cleared whatever risk they thought existed.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »

Did they need his scholarship?  Honestly, there was so much turnover on that roster that I can't remember who came, who left, and when they did so.

No, we didn't need his scholarship.  We took Mbao late in the recruiting process because McMorrow's scholarship was going to be available. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
Yeah, and in looking back, even though Liam's health issue wasn't announced until May, he basically never practiced in the spring semester due to a "health issue."  That is why even though Mbao was signed *before* Liam officially left, that we were never really over-subscribed scholarship wise.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
In other words, assuming that MU didn't misrepresent Liam's incapacitation in the first place, Liam's change in medical condition that enabled him to play again would most certainly not have been an issue for MU.  MU would have to request a waiver--similar to what they had to do for Chris Otule. 

But clearly in this instance--unless MU was lying (which I highly doubt)--they initially had legitimate concern that Liam would never play again, and later medical diagnosis cleared whatever risk they thought existed.

Completely different from Otule. Far different rules, process, etc.

I don't think McMorrow wouldn't have needed a change in medical circumstances to play again. He'd need a change in circumstances for him to (1) play athletics at Marquette and (2) for Marquette to have his past year(s) as a medical non-counter not be reversed (potentially putting them over the limit for scholarship players).

If he wanted to play and Tennessee Tech had no problems with it, so be it. Their call.

So it could have been:
MU and LM agree he shouldn't play due to health issues.
Later, LM sees more docs or simply decides he wants to play. MU says they don't think it's a good idea.
LM decides to look elsewhere to play. He finds another school and plays.

That's fine. Doesn't mean there were any games being played or misrepresentations being made. Just some tough decisions and unfortunate health circumstances.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
IIRC, Liam found out about his health condition in the spring, stayed on campus for another year, found a doctor who was willing to sign off on him playing, but by then he couldn't play for MU because once any team's MD says they cannot play for that team, they can NEVER play for that team.   A year after he was shut down, a year he spent at MU, he went to Tenn Tech.      I think. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
but by then he couldn't play for MU because once any team's MD says they cannot play for that team, they can NEVER play for that team.

Not accurate.

feedback