[Today at 09:59:47 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Love in Forde Minutes  (Read 8805 times)

Shack

• Starter
Re: Marquette Love in Forde Minutes
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
Madison is o.k. to pass through and hang out during football season, but I would have a hard time living there.  Just too small.  I actually feel the same way about Milwaukee but the summers really make up for it.   Being biased, but Milwaukee is on par with most cities during the summer as far as the “fun factor” with all the festivals going on from June – Labor Day, the Brewers being competitive at Miller Park, and some decent lakes and golf courses.   Plus, Milwaukee is making more of an effort to invest more into the downtown/3rd ward area with the new condos, restaurants, and yes theatres.  Long way to go but it’s at least nice to see the effort to get away from the Happy Days, Jeffrey Dahmer, fat beer drinking brat eating residents image. 

------ Tom Barrett

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
Wiscoave, don't waste your time - the Carrier Dome is a HORRIBLE basketball venue. It's a football-first facility, so the upper deck is a terrible view, one half of the stands are curtained off, and it holds noise terribly. Not to mention that the lighting is terrible, and there's nothing bar/restaurant-wise remotely close to the stadium, and it all adds up to a stale atmosphere. It manages to not come off that way on television, but I can't speak more negatively of a college basketball experience. Of the Big East road venues I've been to, I would rank them 1.) MSG 2.) Pitt 3.) WVU 4.) USF 5.) Carrier dome

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
Wiscoave, don't waste your time - the Carrier Dome is a HORRIBLE basketball venue. It's a football-first facility, so the upper deck is a terrible view, one half of the stands are curtained off, and it holds noise terribly. Not to mention that the lighting is terrible, and there's nothing bar/restaurant-wise remotely close to the stadium, and it all adds up to a stale atmosphere. It manages to not come off that way on television, but I can't speak more negatively of a college basketball experience. Of the Big East road venues I've been to, I would rank them 1.) MSG 2.) Pitt 3.) WVU 4.) USF 5.) Carrier dome

The Dunk in Providence is nice spot to watch BB.  They recently renovated, great sight lines, not too big, not too small...Beer, in the middle of downtown. 

LA

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »
Alright while I don't quite see Madison as having the "big city" qualities that some people here claim; comparing it to Green Bay is rediculous.

GB is terrible. Very small, very hick and not much business or entertainment in the area (unless you like tractor pulls and ice fishing). No I'm not from Madison (Grew up in Seattle before coming to MU) and have never lived there but having spent time in both GB and Madison the comparison is aweful.

Madison isn't God's gift to midwestern towns as some claim but it is a decent city for the location.

wiscoave

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »

Uh-oh.... I have a bunch of friends that went there and they had an extra ticket for the Syracuse-Nova Gameday game. Payed $250 for good seats so I'm already all set to go. Plus, I heard they got rid of the curtain several years ago. Im may be a few years out of school but Im pretty sure I'll find bars on Marshall st. I was told its an "Orange-out" game....and I dont own anything orange. Luckily ESPN will be handing out orange crap. But...do I actually have to wear it? I'll prob just rock my MU sweatshirt.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Uh-oh.... I have a bunch of friends that went there and they had an extra ticket for the Syracuse-Nova Gameday game. Payed $250 for good seats so I'm already all set to go. Plus, I heard they got rid of the curtain several years ago. Im may be a few years out of school but Im pretty sure I'll find bars on Marshall st. I was told its an "Orange-out" game....and I dont own anything orange. Luckily ESPN will be handing out orange crap. But...do I actually have to wear it? I'll prob just rock my MU sweatshirt.

Don't be that guy, wearing another teams gear to a game where they are not playing.  Either play nice and wear orange, or go neutral.  But don't be that guy.  Like the guy who wears a Cubs shirt to a Brewers/Rockies game.  What the eff you are doing? 

LA

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »
+1 reinko

I hate that guy almost as much as I hate the yell something stupid during the National Anthem guy.

wiscoave

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
ok, fine. I'll wear the free stuff that they hand out. I dont have a problem with that considering I was a huge cuse fan in the mid-90's when they had Wallace and Moten. Poetry in Moten is my favorite nickname of all-time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
No bias here.  I have lived in both cities... for more than 4 years.

They are both nice in their own way.  One is right for some people, the other is right for others.

Now, looking at the national level, Madison is highly ranked in the 'best places to live' articles that come out every year.

I love my Milwaukee more than Madison, but I will gladly take Madison over most every other city in the USA.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
To me the biggest thing is that Madison attitude.  Forde pretty much hits it right on when he describes that smirk. Either you love that smirk or you hate that smirk. 

Personally, I hate that smirk with a passion.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
Wiscoave - if they got rid of the curtain it's a big plus, and if it's Gameday I'm sure that will help the atmosphere too. However, I vote for a huge NO on wearing orange. Cuse is the only team we haven't beaten since we entered the Big East, and their fans remind me of Badger and domer fans - 50 percent plus never went to the school but rep it as their own anyway and talk tons of sh!t.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
I hate the smirk as well, big time.

LON

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
I hate the smirk as well, big time.

Reminds me of the South Park episode when everyone farted into their wine glasses and then commented on how good they all smelled.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »
To me the biggest thing is that Madison attitude.  Forde pretty much hits it right on when he describes that smirk. Either you love that smirk or you hate that smirk. 

Personally, I hate that smirk with a passion.

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you implying that the people of the city of Madison look down on the rest of the state?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
Madison is o.k. to pass through and hang out during football season, but I would have a hard time living there.  Just too small.  I actually feel the same way about Milwaukee but the summers really make up for it.   Being biased, but Milwaukee is on par with most cities during the summer as far as the “fun factor” with all the festivals going on from June – Labor Day, the Brewers being competitive at Miller Park, and some decent lakes and golf courses.   Plus, Milwaukee is making more of an effort to invest more into the downtown/3rd ward area with the new condos, restaurants, and yes theatres.  Long way to go but it’s at least nice to see the effort to get away from the Happy Days, Jeffrey Dahmer, fat beer drinking brat eating residents image.  

------ Tom Barrett

Downtown Milwaukee was so poorly planned from the git-go that there's really nothing that can be done. That Pabst Brewery is a blight on the entire city...no matter what they put there. They should have just torn the place down and started fresh. It's way to hulking and swallows everything north of downtown. 3rd Street is another thing. Once you get North of Mader's, there's no rhyme or reason to it. Why Usinger's was allowed to construct a sausage factory in the heart of downtown is just poor planning. Nothing can be done about it, but it's there. There are examples of stuff like that everywhere. It's a city planner's nightmare, particularly when you have people trying to "save" buildings like that stupid building on stilts on 4th Street that was allegedly one of the first buildings to have brewed beer in the city. Who cares? It's dilapidated and has just been sitting there for several years. Get rid of it and put some grass in these vacant areas while you figure out what to do with them!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:39:22 PM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
I hate that smirk with a passion too. 

The Madison Smirk equates to liberal smugness that you’re smarter and better than everyone else.  No humility in that town at all.  A bunch of liberal lawyers who probably never worked a hard day in their life or developed anything innovative.    Long live capitalism!!