[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Love in Forde Minutes  (Read 8804 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Marquette Love in Forde Minutes
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Not about the team, but the city of Milwaukee, all the way down at point 40

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4899366

Note to readers, unless one wants to vomit, skip reading the Big Ten's best city.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Marquette Love in Forde Minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
not sure what sucks more, Madison or Mo's Irish pub.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
not sure what sucks more, Madison or Mo's Irish pub.

Madison, hands down.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Not about the team, but the city of Milwaukee, all the way down at point 40

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4899366

Note to readers, unless one wants to vomit, skip reading the Big Ten's best city.

At least Milwaukee got honorable mention for best town (and not for anything else).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
i thought the article was lame at best... nice to get the press anyway...

Subsequently, however, i strayed to the espn.com homepage and watched the new Mayne Street. Usually the show tries too hard, but I thought this episode was actually pretty hilarious.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Madison, hands down.

Hey....you can hate on my hometown's university all you want...but my hometown rules.  Pretty much the perfect mix of small town / big city.  I'd love to be back there.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
O Madison sucks much more, Mo's has a decent Reuben at least.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »

Hey....you can hate on my hometown's university all you want...but my hometown rules.  Pretty much the perfect mix of small town / big city.  I'd love to be back there.

I've just never had fun there

wiscoave

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »
Seeing a game at the Carrier Dome is one of my high priorities. This article pretty much clinches the journey as a "must do."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
I've just never had fun there

I spend a good amount of time in Madison for work, and I can say it is VASTLY overrated by those who live there.

Nice town, some good restaurants, but nothing terribly special about it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Madison
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
I would have to agree it (Madison) would be high on the list for Big Ten towns.  Though, Minneapolis would be my first.  Northwestern high too with Evanston and its proximty to Chicago.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
I read the article and then saw this post and thought I had missed something but I guess not.  This isn't love, especially considering Cincy got an honorable mention for best basketball town over Milwaukee, desite the fact that they get roughly half the fans per home game as MU.

wiscoave

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
But Cincy is a college basketball town. The Crosstown Shoot-out (Cincy-Xavier)has an incredible atmosphere to it. Throw in the state of KY and their nutty fans (Louisville) and the game between Lou and Cincy is a lot of fun as well. Great bball town.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »

What you described as a perfect mix of small town/big city sounds more like Milwaukee.  There is nothing big city like about Madison.  Great college football town but it's like Green Bay when football season is over.  just my opinion....

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
I hate myself for getting into this UW thing again, but IMO Madison is a Big Ten town, Milwaukee is Big East.  I've spent time in both and appreciate the differences.

As for Cincy, they do have a great history and its pretty cool that Oscar Robertson still goes to games, but night in night out it just doesn't look very exciting there compared to other Big East venues, including Storrs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »
What you described as a perfect mix of small town/big city sounds more like Milwaukee.  There is nothing big city like about Madison.  Great college football town but it's like Green Bay when football season is over.  just my opinion....

No...not even close.  Madison has a wonderful arts community, fantastic restaurants and a vibrant business community.  If you think it is like Green Bay, you don't know either town very well.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »

No...not even close.  Madison has a wonderful arts community, fantastic restaurants and a vibrant business community.  If you think it is like Green Bay, you don't know either town very well.

No, YOUR opinions are wrong!!  There's no reason to get butthurt just because someone doesn't like your favorite city.

I, personally, think that Madison is a dump of a college town.  I also accept that there are plenty of hippies and hicks from the middle of nowhere in WI that disagree with me.  I don't have beef with them just because they're wrong.  I just accept it and move on.

LON

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
If you think it is like Green Bay, you don't know either town very well.

If you mean, GB doesn't have ridiculously laid out one way streets, then you are correct.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
No, YOUR opinions are wrong!!  There's no reason to get butthurt just because someone doesn't like your favorite city.

I, personally, think that Madison is a dump of a college town.  I also accept that there are plenty of hippies and hicks from the middle of nowhere in WI that disagree with me.  I don't have beef with them just because they're wrong.  I just accept it and move on.

I'm not all "butthurt."  Having spent plenty of time in both cities, I think it is fair to say that they are nothing alike.  And Madison and Milwaukee are nothing alike either.

BTW, I'm way more hick than hippie.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »

I love it when people talk about "the arts" in a town, as if they're off to exhibits and the symphony every weekend.

This was a column by a college basketball writer. I'm guessing he's not off to see "The Blue Man Group" in between trips to the Kohl Center.

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Madison
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »
I would have to agree it (Madison) would be high on the list for Big Ten towns.  Though, Minneapolis would be my first.  Northwestern high too with Evanston and its proximty to Chicago.

Madison is pretty nice for the Big Ten.  If you exclude Chicago and the Twin Cities because there is so much to those cities besides the schools, then Madison is definately at the top.  One that gets no credit is actually Iowa City.  It is a really nice college town and would probably be up there if the article was about football.  He hit it right on the nail with Champagne being bad, probably with East Lansing coming in next.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
Living in AA now, I definitely prefer it over Madison.  Both are similar though, pretty much insulated boxes distinct in almost all ways from the surrounding area.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »

Right on target.  There is nothing big city about Madison.  It makes it hard when no buildings can be taller than the capital.  It seems like everyone who lived there/went to undergrad there has this impression, and I just don't understand it.  I'm going to law school at UW (and proudly catching crap for all my Marquette garb every day, thank you very much) and I would certainly rather live in Milwaukee than Madison.  Not because its a bad town, but because everyone there thinks its the greatest place in the world, which can really start to grind on you. 

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
How can anyone take the city that gave birth to The Onion seriously?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback