'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits at Marquette Madness  (Read 8803 times)

HoopDreams

• Starter
Recruits at Marquette Madness
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »
Any word on recruits expected to show at Madness?
Tradition Never Graduates..

Boone

• All American
Re: Recruits at Marquette Madness
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
I think Pe'shon Howard from Oak Hill will be there (he's reportedly down to us and USF and I read he'll visit the latter on the 23rd).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
Well, if anyone wants to make a big head of him, this should be a start. You can magnify the pic.
SS Marquette

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »
Would not hurt to have another PG.  Hopefully he picks MU.  How often does playing time at a high major school magically open up like it has for this kid? 

The fans in Tampa seem to be excited based on this blog below. 
http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/10/oak-hill-combo-guard-howard-to-visit-usf.html

Yahoo and Scout have him at a 3 star, but ESPN gives him a 92 grade which is about where this year's recruits were on ESPN if I believe.  None of the three recruiting services below,however, have him even considering Marquette.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Pe'Shon-Howard-60129

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44209&season=2010

http://indiana.scout.com/a.z?s=170&p=8&c=1&nid=3096041

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
None of the three recruiting services below,however, have him even considering Marquette.

How many times does it need to be said...dont take much stock in the "lists" on the websites.  They are not updated very often, unless the kid is a top player in the class.

It looks like he is down to USF and MU.

I think Buzz can/should take two guards in the 2010 class. You have to recruit backups too.  I would not be surprised if Buzz lands VB, and adds another Guard like Howard.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:26:59 AM »
How many times does it need to be said...dont take much stock in the "lists" on the websites.  They are not updated very often, unless the kid is a top player in the class.

It looks like he is down to USF and MU.

I think Buzz can/should take two guards in the 2010 class. You have to recruit backups too.  I would not be surprised if Buzz lands VB, and adds another Guard like Howard.

Is Blue going to be there??

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:04 AM »
Is Blue going to be there??

No official word yet on any players that will be at Midnight Madness.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:32:30 AM by GOMU1104 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »
No official word yet on any players that will be at Midnight Madness.

Our options seemed to have been halved in the last two weeks. That said, if Buzz lands Blue and Ross-Miller to Jones it would be a great escape.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »
Our options seemed to have been halved in the last two weeks. That said, if Buzz lands Blue and Ross-Miller to Jones it would be a great escape.

Very few people know exactly what the options are at this point.  Let things play out before you just assume things are falling apart.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:44:22 AM »
Very few people know exactly what the options are at this point.  Let things play out before you just assume things are falling apart.

Okay, daddy, I'll do that. Quick defense shows concern.

Never said anything was falling apart but there's no assumption needed when four or five of your targets cross you off the list or are about to cross you off the list in the span of two weeks.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »
Okay, daddy, I'll do that. Quick defense shows concern.

Never said anything was falling apart but there's no assumption needed when four or five of your targets cross you off the list or are about to cross you off the list in the span of two weeks.

How do you know who the top targets really are?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

Blue and Ross-Miller would be nearly impossible.  Both want to play PG at the next level.  You're not going to get two PGs in the same class when you already have Cadougan there all four years they are in school.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »
More of a general recruiting question than a question about Marquette Madness...are we still in good standing with Maurice Walker or Freddy Aspirilla??

Because, I've said it before, but I would LOVE to see Buzz round out next season's recruiting class with a big physical player on the interior...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
More of a general recruiting question than a question about Marquette Madness...are we still in good standing with Maurice Walker or Freddy Aspirilla??

Because, I've said it before, but I would LOVE to see Buzz round out next season's recruiting class with a big physical player on the interior...

The most recent update on Walker, looks like hes destined for Pitt:

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/10/10/brewster-academy-notes-fair-looks-strong-walker-plans-visit-carroll-tharpe-updates-etc/

Aspirlla is visiting KSU this weekend, according to this article:

http://www.themercury.com/k-statesports/article.aspx?articleId=670475ba393a44899b9943d8702c2691
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:22:21 AM by GOMU1104 »

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
The most recent update on Walker, looks like hes destined for Pitt:

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/10/10/brewster-academy-notes-fair-looks-strong-walker-plans-visit-carroll-tharpe-updates-etc/

Aspirlla is visiting KSU this weekend, according to this article:

http://www.themercury.com/k-statesports/article.aspx?articleId=670475ba393a44899b9943d8702c2691

Damn...was hoping it would be a more positive outlook than that...oh well!  Thanks for the update

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
Blue and Ross-Miller would be nearly impossible.  Both want to play PG at the next level.  You're not going to get two PGs in the same class when you already have Cadougan there all four years they are in school.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't see the limits you do.

We have very little evidence of Buzz. What we can go on is last season. Looking at that, the 1, 2, 3 spots were about as interchangeable as you can get -- and that was with a four-year starter at Point Guard and one of the best players in the conference on the wing much less rookies who haven't proved anything at this level.

I'm sure Blue wants to play PG but the offense will most likely be run as a hodge-podge where he could technically suit up as a "2" but still be responsible for PG duties. Add in that Cadougan will be an unknown commodity and it doesn't seem an outrageous possibility.

Besides, if MU can't take Blue and another PG (along with Cadougan) why is MU considered a leader for Reggie Smith out of Chicago?

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Just go to rivals.com and go to the 2010 rivals150 and theres the list of the players coming.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
Just go to rivals.com and go to the 2010 rivals150 and theres the list of the players coming.

Hey Lockdown - I must be missing something - I cannot find that list in the rvials150

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »
Hey Lockdown - I must be missing something - I cannot find that list in the rvials150

I'm pretty sure hes being sarcastic.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:33 PM »
lol - ok - did't notice the teal - lol

bma725

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »
I don't know. Maybe I just don't see the limits you do.

We have very little evidence of Buzz. What we can go on is last season. Looking at that, the 1, 2, 3 spots were about as interchangeable as you can get -- and that was with a four-year starter at Point Guard and one of the best players in the conference on the wing much less rookies who haven't proved anything at this level.

I'm sure Blue wants to play PG but the offense will most likely be run as a hodge-podge where he could technically suit up as a "2" but still be responsible for PG duties. Add in that Cadougan will be an unknown commodity and it doesn't seem an outrageous possibility.

What we have to go on is what Buzz has said since the very beginning, that he wants to have one true point guard, one true big man and three interchangeable parts...meaning guys that can play the 2, 3, or 4.  Last year was not an example of what he wanted because the personnel on the team didn't allow him to do that.  Now he's got his chance.

Further, when I say it would be nearly impossible, I'm not talking about them playing on the court at the same time I'm talking about getting them to come.  Both players have made it very clear that they want to go to a school where they are starting PG essentially from day one.  Being an interchangeable part on the wing is not what they are looking for.  It's already going to be tough to get a top PG in the class to commit with Cadougan being on the same team for 4 years.  Getting a third PG when there would be two guys with him for all for years is near impossible.

Besides, if MU can't take Blue and another PG (along with Cadougan) why is MU considered a leader for Reggie Smith out of Chicago?

Not all offers and not all "leaders" are created equal.  It's known that MU has been pushing Smith(and several of the other targets) to wait on their decision until spring, mostly because MU sees them as back up plans to other guys they are going after.  Just because multiple guys at the same position want to come doesn't mean you take all of them.

Peoples_Republic_Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
So everyone, take this for what it's worth. I got this in an e-mail from my mom tonight, she teaches a class for teachers at a college in Madison. She knows next to nothing about basketball as you'll be able to tell, but this sounds promising:

"On another note,I was talking to one of the students in my class on Saturday.  He works at Memorial High School. He was supposed to make a visit to Marquette with Vander Blue and Blue's family on Saturday.  Don't know if they were covering this at Marquette or not. 

If I can learn any new information about this, I'll let you know.   Of course you'll probably know more about this than I do, but I just thought it would be fun to tell you something about Memorial basketball.  According to this student, Vander Blue likes the kind of ball that the Big East plays over the Big Ten; he also has to work on his academic eligibility.  So we'll see what happens--when do they have to decide?"

Sounds like he won't be here for madness, but the next day I guess? Actually, this could've meant this previous Saturday even (the 10th), I don't know. This sounds fairly reliable if the guy in her class is supposed to come with Vander and his family, but, like I said, take it with a grain of salt.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »
And, you should add, don't "fly off the handle."

BTW, you know my kinfolk, EAT?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:56 AM »
So back to the topic.....

As of today, with the exceptionof maybe that Howard kid, maybe, no one has knowledge of any recruits being at Midnight Madness, right?

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
I'd bet that Jamail Jones will be here