[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35200 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »
RIGHT FIELD SUCKS!
LOL - They started that for about 5 seconds and everyone was so frickin' nervous it never took off.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
Not only are the Cubs good, but they are playing spectacular baseball right now. Not sure they have the rotation depth to win two more series, but they keep hitting like this, they have a shot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
Not only are the Cubs good, but they are playing spectacular baseball right now. Not sure they have the rotation depth to win two more series, but they keep hitting like this, they have a shot.

That's all that matters when it gets to October.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2015, 10:14:53 PM »
Brutal.

A
B
C

Anyone but the Cubs

3 down, 8 to go. 

I'd worry more about the massive rebuild necessary eight miles south if I were you. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
Right field does suck

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:08 PM »
3 down, 8 to go. 

I'd worry more about the massive rebuild necessary eight miles south if I were you.

I'm worried about that too. My concern is spread out

🏀

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »

Worried? I wish they started the rebuild by dealing Sale for an entire farm system.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2015, 10:27:22 PM »

Fair enough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
The Sox problem isn't just the massive rebuild, but the Reinsdorf tradition of hanging onto "his guys" too long.  Kenny Williams should have been let go a few years ago.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
Congrats to the Cubs fans!

I suspect they will be the favorites against either the Mets or the Dodgers.  They look very sharp right now and can set their rotation for the next series.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
Worried? I wish they started the rebuild by dealing Sale for an entire farm system.

When you look at the other major hauls big pitchers have gotten, it seems like there's a point where Sale's contract will get diminishing returns.  Typically you see teams empty their farm systems for 2 years of control on aces, and Sale has 4 left, so I wonder how much more teams will be willing to unload.

But I do agree with you, a total haul on Sale and a couple more Top 5-10 draft picks and the Sox can get there in a few years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
When you look at the other major hauls big pitchers have gotten, it seems like there's a point where Sale's contract will get diminishing returns.  Typically you see teams empty their farm systems for 2 years of control on aces, and Sale has 4 left, so I wonder how much more teams will be willing to unload.

But I do agree with you, a total haul on Sale and a couple more Top 5-10 draft picks and the Sox can get there in a few years.

Very true, there has to be a top-end limit. If Sale stays in Chicago (White Sox at least), ugh. Waste of talent.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
When someone slides feet first into a base they almost never touch the base with their foot.  It's almost always their calf or something in that region.  You would see a lot more sprained ankles in baseball if your foot is required to touch 2nd base before any other part of your body when you slide.

The pop-up slide has apparently become a lost art.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »
Very true, there has to be a top-end limit. If Sale stays in Chicago (White Sox at least), ugh. Waste of talent.

Really?  Would you call Felix Hernandez a waste of talent?  Seems a bit silly.

Anyone watching this AL game?  This is the weirdest inning I can remember seeing. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2015, 06:15:31 PM »
What do the unwritten rules say about a bat flip like that?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

The thing is, they don't need to necessarily trade Sale.  They could get a haul for Quintana.  They have a lot of pitching depth to trade from.  Heck, the centerpiece in the Tulo trade was a pitcher ranked just below Frank Montas (Jeff Hoffman).  They have other very high end arms in Spencer Adams and Carson Fulmer.  They have a wealth of guys that could be mid rotation guys, like Erik Johnson, Chris Beck, and Tyler Danish. 

Maybe all this depth makes it more palatable to trade Sale.  Maybe they deal from minor league pitching depth for minor league hitters, though they haven't had a great eye for that, but the new regime seems a bit more adept there.  Maybe they trade minor league pitching for Major league hitting. 

The one thing they have in the minors on the offensive side is speed.  Lots of speed.  It could show a new philosophy for the team.  They have guys like Anderson, May and Engel that were among the top basestealers in baseball.

I don't think it is as bleak as a lot of people make it out to be.  But then, I am an eternal optimist.  I am also a believer in pitching.  Great pitching can carry mediocre offense.  The problem is, they have a way to go to get to mediocre, and to great.  The top 3 look to be what they need, but the back of the rotation needs work.  Break in Montas and Johnson next year, have Fulmer on deck for the next.  Who knows. 

I guess I just don't think you need to trade Sale now.  You have him locked up for cheap.  You can still get a haul of prospects next year, and the year after.  No need to rush into anything, unless someone completely blows you away. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »

They say no one is getting drilled in a deciding playoff game unless it gets out of hand. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »

No, mostly because Seattle has continuously tried to go for it via free agency, just horribly. CHW, not so much, and they'll waste his contract without getting value

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »

It says he'll get plunked a few times next season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
The Sox problem isn't just the massive rebuild, but the Reinsdorf tradition of hanging onto "his guys" too long.  Kenny Williams should have been let go a few years ago.
Cant Jerry bring in MJ to DH? lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »
No, mostly because Seattle has continuously tried to go for it via free agency, just horribly. CHW, not so much, and they'll waste his contract without getting value

Ok, well you obviously missed last off season for the Sox.

But beside that, what is the difference in going for it via free agency or another way.  If the avenue fails, it would still seem to be a waste of his talent, if winning championships is the only measuring stick for the proper use of his talent as you seem to be making it out to be. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
Cant Jerry bring in MJ to DH? lol

MJ couldn't hit AA breaking stuff.  He's K too much, not have enough power and his lagging speed would be a detriment on the basepaths. 

Seems like a perfect Sox move actually. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2015, 07:12:27 AM »

Anyone watching this AL game?  This is the weirdest inning I can remember seeing.

I don't recall ever having seen a throw from the catcher to the pitcher deflected by the batter, let alone it leading to a go-ahead run in the 7th inning of a winner-take-all playoff game.

I have lots of respect for Cole Hamels keeping it together as Elvis Andrus decided not to catch anything in the bottom half of the inning.  The Jays winning four-run rally was routine grounder to short, routine grounder to first, easy play on a bad bunt to third, routine grounder to first, routine pop-out to second, home run.  4 runs on one hit with no walks or hit batsmen.  A Little League rally.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
I don't recall ever having seen a throw from the catcher to the pitcher deflected by the batter, let alone it leading to a go-ahead run in the 7th inning of a winner-take-all playoff game.

I have lots of respect for Cole Hamels keeping it together as Elvis Andrus decided not to catch anything in the bottom half of the inning.  The Jays winning four-run rally was routine grounder to short, routine grounder to first, easy play on a bad bunt to third, routine grounder to first, routine pop-out to second, home run.  4 runs on one hit with no walks or hit batsmen.  A Little League rally.

No kidding.  It is a little odd that they team that had the super weird play benefit them is the one that collapsed.  That was one wild inning of baseball. 

Now we get DeGrom-Greinke tonight.  It's the most wonderful time of the year. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
Ok, well you obviously missed last off season for the Sox.

But beside that, what is the difference in going for it via free agency or another way.  If the avenue fails, it would still seem to be a waste of his talent, if winning championships is the only measuring stick for the proper use of his talent as you seem to be making it out to be.

I simply don't see the Sox trading Sale yet unless an offer is so utterly outrageous that it can't be turned down.  And with the success of the Cubs and Astros and the youth of those teams, I don't see other teams willing to part with the pieces it will take to get Sale. 

feedback