* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Process vs Outcome  (Read 10876 times)

tower912

• All American
Process vs Outcome
« on: April 29, 2021, 06:31:27 AM »
The fluidity of the roster is to be expected after a coaching change.   The current roster for next season is going to be the youngest I can remember.    I do not ever have high expectations for young teams.   So I am going to focus on the process and not the outcome for this next season.  I will appreciate every win and every competitive loss where learning and growth occur.   But I am not going to sweat the final record.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Process vs Outcome
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 07:05:06 AM »
A tough season in terms of wins and losses while there is hope and upside for the future is a lot different than the alternative, which is what it would have been under Wojo. 

It would have been ideal if DJ and Dawson returned because there would have been a decent chance to thread the needle in terms of building while still competing at a high level. 

With DJ and potentially Dawson gone it shouldn't be too hard to adjust expectations.  No one wants to lose but if it's clear the culture is being built and the young players are developing over the course of the season and the team is playing it's best ball come February/March it can still be a really productive season. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
The fluidity of the roster is to be expected after a coaching change.   The current roster for next season is going to be the youngest I can remember.    I do not ever have high expectations for young teams.   So I am going to focus on the process and not the outcome for this next season.  I will appreciate every win and every competitive loss where learning and growth occur.   But I am not going to sweat the final record.

Yep.  Young and inexperienced.  My hope is they finish the season on the upswing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 08:45:56 AM »
Go ahead and write the team off 6 months before practice starts and before the roster is finalized if you want to.  But that's a sad way to go through life.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 08:48:49 AM »
Go ahead and write the team off 6 months before practice starts and before the roster is finalized if you want to.  But that's a sad way to go through life.

Nearly everyone is throwing out the caveat about the roster not being set.  As is, this team looks underwhelming for the 2021-22 season.  It’s not writing off, it’s setting realistic expectations with what is fact today when it comes to the roster.  Remember, being a Marquette fan means a lot of Arby’s, so doom and gloom is the default setting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
A young nucleus that with a year or 2 of seasoning should be exciting to watch. Anyone concerned about unbalanced classes, just keep in mind some will transfer out likely every year. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 09:00:27 AM »
Respecting the process.   It is now a ground-up rebuild.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:15 AM »
I can’t see Shaka finishing less than .500 in Conf.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:11:45 AM »

As our roster stands now not sure I see better than 1-7 vs. Nova, Xavier, Hall and UConn next season. Kind of like this year except sub Creighton for X.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »
Need to clean off your lens.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »
Dudes, we sucked major ass under Woj. Take some ExLax and purge the system. Let Shaka develop his program and build his own team. Highly doubt you'll be disappointed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
Sure.  But I doubt it happens this season.   Trust the process.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »
Absolutely, and for the record I'm perfectly good with no holdovers from the old regime also, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 09:17:06 AM »
9th place and a BET blowout finish is a high bar to beat. Respect the process, hey?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »
Dudes, we sucked major ass under Woj. Take some ExLax and purge the system. Let Shaka develop his program and build his own team. Highly doubt you'll be disappointed, hey?

We’ll see.  Texas fans are saying the same thing about their new coach compared to their old coach, hey?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
I think it's amazing that people are guessing what our record will or won't be next year.  Like, I doubt anyone has seen ANY of the new faces play meaningful minutes.  Not to mention, the roster probably isn't set yet.

What possible information could you be deriving your guesses from?  We might be terrible, we might be good, we might be a bologna sandwich or an Apache helicopter.

But saying stuff like:

and

As our roster stands now not sure I see better than 1-7 vs. Nova, Xavier, Hall and UConn next season. Kind of like this year except sub Creighton for X.

is hilarious for me to read.  Thanks as usual, fellas.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:22:58 AM by Hards_Alumni »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »
We’ll see.  Texas fans are saying the same thing about their new coach compared to their old coach, hey?

As they should and with good reason. Pretty sure Shaka will turn out to be our best recruiter in decades. He's the right man at the right time for MU, aina?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:06:07 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
The program just stagnated under Wojo and for the last two seasons was in a tailspin that has finally crashed. New coach, new team, let's see if we can fly; but let's not wait 7 years to find out.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »
I think it's amazing that people are guessing what our record will or won't be next year.  Like, I doubt anyone has seen ANY of the new faces play meaningful minutes.  Not to mention, the roster probably isn't set yet.

What possible information could you be deriving your guesses from?  We might be terrible, we might be good, we might be a bologna sandwich or an Apache helicopter.

But saying stuff like:

and

is hilarious for me to read.  Thanks as usual, fellas.

Feel free to bookmark and holler back next March.  Tower too.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »
I am so happy when we get told what to expect next season by the know it alls - no need to spend anytime understanding the roster additions, the coaching change, or the next 7 months of development.

besides, we had 2 NBA players in the starting 5, we must have had one hell of a season last year...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 09:45:25 AM »
I am so happy when we get told what to expect next season by the know it alls - no need to spend anytime understanding the roster additions, the coaching change, or the next 7 months of development.

besides, we had 2 NBA players in the starting 5, we must have had one hell of a season last year...

College hoops is a coaching game.  Players are year to year, building a program is done month to month, not year to year.  When you are saddled with the Tom Creans or Steve Wojos of the world you may get a NCAA season but you're just as likely to get NIT or worse.  When you ride with Buzz or Shaka, it's to the Moon. 

The train is leaving the station, get on board.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 09:45:52 AM »

Who?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »

As they should and with good reason. Pretty good sure Shaka will turn out to be our best recruiter in decades. He's the right man at the right time for MU, aina?

Hope so.  Doing this again in 6 years would suck

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
Last year's team was deficient in athleticism and coaching. We know they'll be more athletic. If the other part falls into place, a few of those close losses could swing the other way.

I'm just excited to see something resembling a vision when it comes to building the roster. I think this approach lends itself to success in the BE better than bombers who don't guard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
I cannot wait until opening tipoff.

feedback