collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Waupun Warriors School Song  (Read 5032 times)

sodakwarrior

• Walk-On
Waupun Warriors School Song
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
Did anyone see this on the news last night?  I saw it and couldn't stop laughing - they changed the "sexist" term "fellows" in their school song to "warriors".....

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090327/FON0101/903270385

WAUPUN — When female students at Waupun High School actually learned the words to their school song, they cringed.

So did Principal Jeff Finstad, when he read them over — carefully — after some students wanted to paint them on the gymnasium wall.

"No one from the community and none of the students knew the words, so they wanted them up there for everyone to read," Finstad said.

It's true, said junior Bridget Nickel.

"At football games, people would stand up and just mumble the lyrics. It was sad," she said.

In this case, it seems, ignorance was a kind of bliss. For the day copies of the song were passed out at a pep rally, a shocking realization set in.

"Fight fellows, fight, fight, fight," the lyrics urged, referring to the all-male football team making a touchdown and winning the game.

Knowing trouble when he sees it — gender specific trouble that is — Finstad promptly told the students: "I'm not putting those words on the wall."

"It was more about football and all about guy sports," Bridget said.

Talk of changing the politically incorrect school song came about when the school logo was being revamped by art teacher Doug Disch. The big 'W" that stands for "Warriors" was replaced by a character likened to a cross between a Spartan and a knight.

"This all went through a student advisory board, because no one really liked the big 'W.' Then I brought up the school song, and the 'blatant' problem," Finstad said.

The principal chose Bridget to work her magic on the lyrics, with instructions that she make it user-friendly for everyone involved.

"He gave me the opportunity to change it. I was pretty excited about that," Bridget said.

Taking school spirit to heart, the Waupun High School junior tweaked the words so the song could refer to any sport.

"It just kind of came to me. The beat of the song is to 'On Wisconsin,' so it wasn't too hard," she said.

The finished product was presented this month to School Board members. Some of Bridget's friends performed the song at a recent School Board meeting.

"The words came out pretty good, and they are appropriate," Finstad said.

Finally, the gymnasium wall is being readied for the new school song.

"Our school song used to be a big tradition in this town, so I hope this new one is something our community can enjoy together," Bridget said.

NEW SONG

Waupun Warriors
Waupun Warriors
Fight on for your fame.
Cheer the black and cheer
the gold,
On to victory!
U-Rah-Rah
Waupun Warriors
Waupun Warriors
Fight on for your fame,
Fight Warriors fight,
fight, fight,
We’ll win this game!

OLD SONG

Waupun High School
Waupun High School
Fight on for your fame.
Pass the ball right through
the center,
Touchdown sure this time.
U-Rah-Rah
Waupun High School
Waupun High School,
Fight on for your fame,
Fight fellows, fight,
fight, fight,
We'll win this game!

GGGG

• All American
Re: Waupun Warriors School Song
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Having grown up in Madison, and learning to sing On Wisconsin in elementary school, I found this very odd.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
As a Marquette and Waupun Warrior alum, the only thing that offended me about the school song was the fact that it is sung to the tune of "On Wisconsin"!

LON

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
As a Marquette and Waupun Warrior alum, the only thing that offended me about the school song was the fact that it is sung to the tune of "On Wisconsin"!

Public school kids actually go to MU?

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »
Yes, we're the poor folk serving you your beer so we can afford school:)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
sadly probably a least a quarter of all HS fight songs in the state are to the tune of "On Wisconsin".......seen quite a few to the notre dame fight song tune as well

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »
I am happy to say that the high school I teach at is neither On Wisconsin nor The Notre Dame fight song.  Yeah me.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
I'd guess a higher percentage on both the Rodents and UND fight song than 25 percent. Disgusting actually. I'll bet you I heard one or the other, or both, at at least 2/3s of the games I covered in my 12-year high school newspaper career.
GO WARRIORS!

feedback