[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This Team Can't Shoot, Period.  (Read 3690 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
This Team Can't Shoot, Period.
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »
Louisville shot 53% vs. MU @ 43% from the field. Maybe if there was some interior presence, baskets would be easier to come by.
At this rate, MU has been exposed and anything better than "one and done" in the BE or Tournament would be overacheiving. All the rap about byes, seeding, Sweet 16, or FF can now be officially thrown out with yesterday's garbage.

BTW, have said all along that Jerry Smith is a bigtime playa and would have looked real good in a Warrior uniform
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:47:55 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: This Team Can't Shoot, Period.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:45:51 PM »
Agreed, all points.  This team is a total joke.  It is by far the worst shooting team I've ever seen as an MU fan--it is PAINFUL to watch.
Also, we don't have any killer instinct, can't make 3s, go into a shell with a lead, and most importantly, can't get rebounds and stops when we need them.  Oh, did I mention that certain players have not only not improved as the season goes on, they've gotten WORSE!  'Nova will eat us alive on Monday. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »
I think people sometimes forget that the ability to shoot is a talent just like running and jumping.  If any of us spent all day and all night of our youth shooting three pointers, we still wouldn't be able to shoot like Steve Novak or Travis Diener.  By the same token, I'm sure these guys practice FTs a lot but just aren't real good shooters.  It's not a character flaw or anything, we're just not good shooters.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 10:59:22 PM »
Agreed, all points.  This team is a total joke.  It is by far the worst shooting team I've ever seen as an MU fan--it is PAINFUL to watch.
Also, we don't have any killer instinct, can't make 3s, go into a shell with a lead, and most importantly, can't get rebounds and stops when we need them.  Oh, did I mention that certain players have not only not improved as the season goes on, they've gotten WORSE!  'Nova will eat us alive on Monday. 

would you be saying the same thing if smith missed his 3pt attempt and time expired giving MU the win?  I do think there are some positive things including rebounding.  

I do think the prevent offense is painful to watch though and should be jettisoned.  It get's the team out of its rhythm.

While I am worried about a late season self destruction, I do think this team is resiliant and will make some noise from here on out.  Hopefully, this loss builds some character. DJ and the rest need to suck it up and focus on what they have to do.  Another 8-0 run would be nice.  come to think of it, how about a 12-0 run!

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:01:43 PM »
they have played themselves onto the bubble with tough games the rest of the way.  smith would play 20+ minutes at MU!

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »
To hell with "building character"--that is an asinine cliche.  I'm serious, I'd still be pretty damn angry if Smith (Jerry freaking Smith, of all people!!) missed that last shot.  You don't go anywhere in the tournament by playing tenative at the end of games and missing open shots and FTs.  I would have been relieved that we'd squeaked away with a W, but there are some major weaknesses on this team right now, that they don't seem to be getting any better at.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 11:05:32 PM »
they have played themselves onto the bubble with tough games the rest of the way.  smith would play 20+ minutes at MU!

Somebody should have told him that, because PT is the reason he didn't come to MU.  Didn't want to sit behind James, McNeal, and Matthews.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 11:10:26 PM »
Wow, lets not get too carried away saying we're a total joke. We have one some games this season right? And you do that by making shots right? We really lack consistency, they wouldn't make any shots if they just couldn't shoot. And having one guy on the team be able to shoot doesn't make them a good shooting team...which i've seen Marquette have in the past, they just need to find some sort of middle ground. Fitz shot well and so did McNeal, James needs work, Matthews has a good shot and has his nights(and is probably the most consistent)....I won't even keep going past there. Oh and I think I recall McNeal and Fitz both making some big threes in the last 5 mins or so...yep they suck.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
Actually, MUs shooting in the second half was quite good.  The last 3 minutes unfortunately is where it wasn't so good and it cost us the game.....that and the prevent offense.....and some bast#$d from 'Tosa East.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 12:41:48 AM »
To hell with "building character"--that is an asinine cliche.  I'm serious, I'd still be pretty damn angry if Smith (Jerry freaking Smith, of all people!!) missed that last shot.  You don't go anywhere in the tournament by playing tenative at the end of games and missing open shots and FTs.  I would have been relieved that we'd squeaked away with a W, but there are some major weaknesses on this team right now, that they don't seem to be getting any better at.

"Building Character" is what players call the rough times after they've broken through. We have yet to build character.
SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 12:48:26 AM »
Louisville shot 53% vs. MU @ 43% from the field.

Its comical that you mention MU's poor shooting as the problem, and go on to post UL's 53% shootig from the field!!!!!  53% from the field?!?!?!?!?! This game wasn't lost because we can't shoot. As usual with MU, when we lose, its becaue of bad defense. We had nothing for UL inside.NOthing! Not to mention, the defense on that last play (Smith 3-pt) was beyond bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 12:50:40 AM by NaivinRJohnson »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »
i agree all the way max. This team lacks consistency. That coupled with the fact that UL shot 53%!!!! from the field makes it difficult to win games. They got the ball inside and had a lot of easy dunks and lay ups. THey also were shooting 50% from behind the arc at half...I know they cooled a little but not too much second half. Marquette is very good at moving on defense and i noticed today that sometimes the weak side sags into the lane on help D a little too much which leaves the skip pass open for a wide open 3 look on the weak side. UL hit a couple of these, then MU covers that better but doesn't help as much inside and they get the easy 2. They really need to find some sort of consistency and happy middle ground and they're fine. They've shown in games this year that they do have potential to be great and I can't believe so many ppl are turning around and calling them mediocre now that we've hit a road block.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »
Naivin ~ I agree ~ defense was not good.  43% is pretty decent for us.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »

21-7 team is a total joke?  Incredible.  If anyone is spoiled, it's a bunch of fans.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
All the rap about byes, seeding, Sweet 16, or FF can now be officially thrown out with yesterday's garbage.

No worries 4ever, we will accept your apology when they win next time.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
Since when does 43% from the floor and 46% from 3 (6-13) mean a team "can't shoot, period"?

As many others have pointed out, allowing UL to shoot 53%, and another average (for MU) night from the free throw line (15-24 = 63%) are the main reasons for this loss, not an inability to shoot the ball.