'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Media Day  (Read 6613 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Media Day
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
Just saw they have us tied for fourth and Howard as first team All BE but Powell as BE POY

Has there ever been a returning BE POY and second team AA who's gotten less respect?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:17:43 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Media Day
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:56:12 AM »
Just saw they have us tied for fourth and Howard as first team All BE but Powell as BE POY

Has there ever been a returning BE POY and first team AA who's gotten less respect?

I Hope Markus uses it for more Fuel.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »

Has there ever been a returning BE POY and first team AA who's gotten less respect?

I don't see it as disrespect towards Markus, more as respecting that Powell is also a great player.  If Markus wants to use it to put a chip on his shoulder, great, but I don't think he'll ever be able to play the "underdog" role.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:17:24 AM »
I don't see it as disrespect towards Markus, more as respecting that Powell is also a great player.  If Markus wants to use it to put a chip on his shoulder, great, but I don't think he'll ever be able to play the "underdog" role.

Powell career

First-team All-Big East (2019)
Big East Most Improved Player (2018)

Howard career

Consensus second-team All-American (2019)
Big East Player of the Year (2019)
Second-team All-Big East (2018)
Big East All-Freshman Team (2017)

You don't see that as disrespect?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
Powell career

Howard career

Hype train is definitely in the SH station.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
Powell career

Howard career

No I don't.  I fail to see how previous accolades effect a preseason shortlist.  If Giannis isn't the preseason favorite to win MVP do you think he'll be disrespected?  Personally I don't think Markus cares about it at all either.  If he wan'ts to try to use it as motivation, that's great, but I don't think that it'll effect him very much at all.   If anything, Marquette being picked to finish 4th should motivate him and make him feel like his team has been disrespected.  Team > Player

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
Hype train is definitely in the SH station.

I wrote the below two days ago. Powell reminds me of the NFL quarterback Baker Mayfield. Both seemed to skip a few steps going from a breakthrough season to suddenly in the tier of best in the game.

His to lose with the NYC media hype going into the season. Plus, unless Markus is no doubt the best player in all of the country the conference will want to spread the love to Powell.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »
No I don't.  I fail to see how previous accolades effect a preseason shortlist.  If Giannis isn't the preseason favorite to win MVP do you think he'll be disrespected?  Personally I don't think Markus cares about it at all either.  If he wan'ts to try to use it as motivation, that's great, but I don't think that it'll effect him very much at all.   If anything, Marquette being picked to finish 4th should motivate him and make him feel like his team has been disrespected.  Team > Player

Because in the preseason all they have is the previous season to go off of so by saying Powell wins when Howard won at the end of last year they're either saying "Howard's peaked but Powell hasn't" or "we actually don't think Howard deserved it at the end of last year"

I'm not debating anything to do with team so idk why you're bringing that up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 09:45:21 AM »
They're two of the best guards in the country.  If it comes down to being close to even, it probably comes down whose team has more success, and while I personally think Marquette can be that team, I assume that the BE preseason poll has SH at 2, though I don't know, and MU is at 4.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
They're two of the best guards in the country.  If it comes down to being close to even, it probably comes down whose team has more success, and while I personally think Marquette can be that team, I assume that the BE preseason poll has SH at 2, though I don't know, and MU is at 4.

Seton Hall is first, one point ahead of Nova.  I am not understanding all of this Seton Hall hype.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Because in the preseason all they have is the previous season to go off of so by saying Powell wins when Howard won at the end of last year they're either saying "Howard's peaked but Powell hasn't" or "we actually don't think Howard deserved it at the end of last year"

I'm not debating anything to do with team so idk why you're bringing that up.

I brought up team rankings, because I think that there's actual disrespect there.  I don't think SH is better than Nova, I don't think X is better than us. 

If they're basing it off of last season, how are Markus' accolades from two+ years ago relevant?  You certainly thought they were two posts ago. 

I think the likely scenario is that there appears to be very little separation between the two players, and since they have met in competition since Markus winning POY and Powells team won, Powell dropped 22 in the game, and Markus shot 1-15 in the game, that Powell deserves the slight edge.  I don't think Markus is, or should feel, disrespected at all.  Once again, I think it is more in recognition that Powell is also a great player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
Alright!   Righteous indignation over an imagined slight....towards the basketball team and not each other!   Good job, guys!  Bring on the basketball!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »
Markus asked about becoming the conferences all time leading scorer and he only says that he wants and cares about team success.  Doesn't seem slighted about the pre season POY snub.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
Both seemed to skip a few steps going from a breakthrough season to suddenly in the tier of best in the game.

Powell skips a few steps every time he does his patented drives to the hoop by blatantly carrying the ball at the starts to get the illegal jump on the defender. 

And James Breeding should never again be allowed into a Big East Arena.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
You want to solve this problem? Really simple.

Just kick their a$s all season. Take no prisoners.

MAKE MARQUETTE FEARED AGAIN!!!!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
Markus asked about becoming the conferences all time leading scorer and he only says that he wants and cares about team success.  Doesn't seem slighted about the pre season POY snub.

Then he should pass the ball more
Bring back FFP!!!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »

27.3% assist percentage last year.  Questionable decision making at times, but still very good.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »

Ah the myth that Markus doesn’t pass the ball...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »

MAKE MARQUETTE FEARED AGAIN!!!!

Amen brother Dgies
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
Missed shots are rebounding opportunities for the bigs.  Ed, Theo, and Jayce will be hitting the offensive glass hard.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
1. Seton Hall (5), 77
2. Villanova (5), 76
3. Xavier, 52
4. Marquette, 50
4. Providence, 50
6. Georgetown, 49
7. Creighton, 45
8. Butler, 21
9. St. John's, 19
10. DePaul, 11

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
Preseason Player of the Year: Myles Powell

Preseason All-Conference First Team: Alexander, Baldwin, Diallo, Howard, Marshall

Preseason All-Conference Second Team: Heron, Figueroa, Gillespie, Samuels, Reed, Akinjo

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »

MAKE MARQUETTE FEARED WARRIORS AGAIN!!!!

Fixed it

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
Seton Hall is first, one point ahead of Nova.  I am not understanding all of this Seton Hall hype.

It’s recency bias. SHU finished the season with wins over MU & Nova, then made a run to the Big East title game. Which is great, except before that they had lost 8/12 with none of the wins over tourney teams. People are judging the Hall on their last few weeks instead of the three months before. Just like Marquette's being underrated because of the last few weeks and not the three months before.

It's also Powell. Just like Ponds last year, people look at the star and not the team around them. Powell is great, but Seton Hall's offense on the whole is flat out bad. Defensively, they aren't much better and lost their best defender in Nzei.

I'd peg them between 4th and 7th in the league.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback