[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boy the Brewers are Bad  (Read 2847 times)

GGGG

• All American
Boy the Brewers are Bad
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:37:02 AM »
Dave Bush gives up 7ER in 1/3 of an inning.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Boy the Brewers are Bad
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Yeah, I flipped the game on with one out in the first inning.  As a Twins fan, I was pleased, but honestly by the end of the inning, I felt bad for the Brewers, as for what seemed like an hour, they couldn't get anyone out.

Let the dismantling of the team begin.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
Major purging necessary or ticket sales will go south quickly.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
I think that's unavoidable.  A purge = less talent = fewer wins = no post season race = less attendance.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
Referring more to the GM, Macha and staff. But yes, talent sucks too. Fielder will be dealt by the trade deadline as Boras will move him out of MKE.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »
It was a good run, but they have to build around Braun. They inked him for a steal. Trade Prince to get a young finesse arm, a bat with speed, and power bat. 

Yo has to develop into an ace, if he can't, its going to be a rocky rebuild.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:41:21 AM »
Give them back Estrada and Axford and the AAA-Nashville bullpen is better than the Brewers' bullpen by far.  Amazing how they keep around Suppan and Vargas and will probably keep LaTroy Hawkins next year since Melvin is the only GM willing to give a bum like that a two-year deal...old, washed up players who have no part in the long-term plans. 

Yo has to develop into an ace, if he can't, its going to be a rocky rebuild.

The major hurdle for Gallardo is the innings.  The bullpen overhaul is easy to attain and will result in a load of young, fresh talent.  But even the younger, better relievers will blow their fair share of games since even Gallardo's pitch count is so high he can never go more than 5-6 innings.

Fielder is as good as gone.  I hope Melvin isn't shopping him with the "we want major-league ready players" tagline, because it usually results in AAAA players who are ready to sit the major league bench.  Give me a couple AA prospects that are a year or two away and haven't already peaked.  At this point I don't trust Melvin to make this kind of deal, especially after his offseason consisted of overpaying a boatload of 35+ year old washouts, most of which have already made it to the DL.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
(It was a good run?  2 winning seasons in the last million years?  One post-season series and one win to show for it?)

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
They suck. Can't wait for the season to be over. Say goodbye to prince

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
I am just PRAYING that Melvin is looking at the team in the opposite dugout this weekend as a model for what he should attempt to do.  If you can get a couple of stud pitchers for Fielder who are in the minors you trade him this year.  If not, you trade him in the off season or at next year's trade deadline.  From there you build around Braun, Weeks, and McGhee.  The Twins are VERY good because they have very good pitching and then built around two absolute studs (Mauer and Morneau) with good defense and guys who get on base.  They play an NL style of baseball very successfully in the AL.  And then you watch the Brewers (for every 1 of my 21 years of life) and we'll get a leadoff double and at the end of the inning the guy's still standing on 2nd base.  It happens all the time.  It's stuff that you work on starting the first day in little league and the Brewers can't even execute.

I'm not sure when Melvin is going to realize overpaying for washed up starting pitchers (Suppan, Wolf, Looper, and Davis - the last 2 don't hurt that much because they were short term contracts but still) is just going to continue giving you the worst team ERA in the MLB.  It's embarrassing.

I'm also wondering when they will get a manager who has a clue.  I love watching Macha sitting in the dugout as his pitcher gives up 4 runs without getting an out, only THEN to get somebody up in the bullpen.  It must be embarrassing for the pitchers.  Then his lineup changes when we're struggling are to switch Braun and Fielder in the lineup...2 of the 3 guys who DON'T need to be changed around, just to watch them go a combined 1-8.  Good stuff Ken.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:10:54 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
Don't forget about old relief pitchers (Hawkins, Gagne, Hoffman, who, to be fair, worked out for one season, and Riske, who was mediocre for a long time before one good season with the Royals before we signed him) and ancient backstops (Kendall, Zaun).  Miguel Olivo is 7 years younger than Zaun, played in more games last season, had more HR, RBI last season, is now having a good season with the Rockies and has the same contract as Zaun.  I really don't know what it is about these old guys, he just loves paying for guys who used to be good. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
Yeah I was going to mention the old catchers but at least the catchers we've had play some pretty good defense, which with catchers is what you want and then you worry about offense second.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:44:02 AM »
Don't forget about old relief pitchers (Hawkins, Gagne, Hoffman, who, to be fair, worked out for one season, and Riske, who was mediocre for a long time before one good season with the Royals before we signed him) and ancient backstops (Kendall, Zaun).  Miguel Olivo is 7 years younger than Zaun, played in more games last season, had more HR, RBI last season, is now having a good season with the Rockies and has the same contract as Zaun.  I really don't know what it is about these old guys, he just loves paying for guys who used to be good. 

Olivo had an outlier year with homeruns last year and still batted his normal .240 average, .290 OBP. I happen to think Zaun is playing pretty well this year. He started 0-20+ and is still batting .265 with a .365 OBP. They keep signing short-term, old guys because Lucroy will be starting next year.

feedback