* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Shaw from Chicago...are we recruiting this kid?  (Read 26038 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Mike Shaw from Chicago...are we recruiting this kid?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
There is has an article about Shaw today in the Chicago Sum Times (I couldn’t locate the on-line link) in which Shaw relates he is undecided but has received offers from Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Louisville, Texas , Kansas, Michigan State, Kentucky, and De Paul (no mention of Marquette). Shaw goes on to quote Rick Pitino in the article and states that he and Morgan Park’s Wayne Blackshear are like brothers.

Let’s hope Shaw doesn’t follow Blackshear to Louisville.

Article was in Trib.

Boys basketball: De La Salle's Mike Shaw receives a lot of college mail, but he isn't mailing it in

By Brian Hedger

Special to the Tribune

6:25 PM CST, February 24, 2010

The letters from colleges roll in daily for 6-foot-8 De La Salle junior Mike Shaw, and his coach is starting to become concerned.

"I think I need a bigger office," said Tom White, the Meteors' coach and athletic director. "We literally have shoe boxes full of mail for Michael. He looks at them, and then we file 'em away."

Shaw is ranked as one of the country's top juniors and holds scholarship offers from Illinois, Southern Illinois, Louisville, Texas and Wisconsin.

There are also a growing number of critics who make Shaw sound like an underachiever. Some say that he doesn't play with his back to the basket enough. Others point out that he's "only" averaging 14.1 points a game. Shaw hears the criticisms. He just doesn't care.

"I just play ball," said Shaw, who leads the 16-6 Meteors in scoring, rebounds (8.8 per game) and assists (2.9). "I know the critics doubt me. They say I'm not this and I'm not that, but I'm not going to let it stop me. I'm just going to keep working hard on the court and in the classroom."

It's an attitude his grandmother instilled in him when she raised him near Englewood on the South Side.

"All I care about is being successful in life. Period," Shaw said. "That's just how I was raised."

Many would like to see Shaw become a better scorer, but he's more interested in helping the Meteors go far in the playoffs by utilizing his multiple skills.

"He's 6-8. He can move, he can dribble, he can shoot and pass, he can block shots and dominate inside," White said. "People think he should be on the blocks more, but that's not really his game. Michael is really a guard who just happened to grow up to be 6-8."

White said Shaw guards the perimeter well for his size, as evidenced by his defense earlier this season against Illinois-bound Tracy Abrams, a shifty Mount Carmel junior point guard. Shaw said that's part of being a winner — something he even takes into the AAU season.

Though AAU is known as a stage to show off, Shaw is willing to do the dirty work.

"Nobody wants to accept a role on an AAU team, because everybody is ‘The Man,'" he said. "So I get in there and rebound and block shots if we need it. If I play AAU this year, that will be my main goal — to win. I already have enough colleges interested in me. I just want to win."

Mike Shaw file

High school: De La Salle.

Class: Junior.

College: Undecided.

Position: Forward.

Height: 6-8.

Stats: 14.1 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.7 blocks per game.

FYI: Shaw has two older brothers who played college sports — one a football player and the other a basketball player. He is also a first cousin of 6-5 DePaul junior forward Mike Stovall.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
It says there is a power struggle between the Irvins and Shaws brother to control his recruiting. Shaw has never transfered in high school like Blackshear. IIRC Blackshear plays for one of the Irvins now. It is just as likely the brother is trying to get control of things for the right reasons. Do you have information contrary to that?

If your problem is with the Irvins aau machine why are you not concerned that Smith came out of that program?

It sounded to me like they were looking for some under the table $.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
 I don't stick my head in the sand and ignore realities so I can have a "kumbaya" warm fuzzy feeling.  

There are some differing characteristics between races that are apparent in sport and black players have by and large separated themselves from white players on an individual basis in most sports in which they participate.  

If you want to argue that is factually inaccurate good luck with that, the numbers are apparent, especially within basketball's elite level.  The NBA.  

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
Next time read the article that I linked in my post that you had originally quoted.  It explained that Shaw's recruitment is shady in the exact same way that Blackshear's recruitment is.  Please read before getting self-righteously indignant next time.

Maybe you should read this article from Bullseye that explains why the situation is the opposite of what you have implied.

Another player whose recruitment has picked up considerably is 6'7 class of 2011 forward Mike Shaw from De LaSalle Institute in Chicago, which comes as no surprise seeing as though Shaw is having a terrific junior season.  It is no small coincidence that three Big Ten schools--Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan State have greatly stepped up their recruitment of Shaw and as of now can all be considered among Shaw's frontrunners.  We believe that there are reasons for that.  Right at the top of the list is that Shaw's family has made it a point to take even stronger control of his recruitment.  As a result, Shaw has begun to develop a strong inner-circle of advisors which include his older brother as well as De LaSalle head coach Tom White.  What this also means is that those who have been primarily involved with handling Shaw's recruitment have backed off to an extent.

We can't even begin to emphasize how important this is (and will continue to be) when it comes to Shaw's recruitment.  That is because Big Ten programs have long had a history of avoiding recruits who are known to have handlers running the show.  Therefore, perhaps the tables have turned somewhat when it comes to assessing who is really in charge, which is why we once again repeat what we know now sounds like a broken record--there will be no package deal for Shaw and 6'5 class of 2011 forward and University Of Louisville commit Wayne Blackshear from Morgan Park High School in Chicago.

***********************************************************************************************
http://ilprepbullseye.com/page40.html

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
You guys can talk about Marquette fans being racist against white players all you want, but everytime I ever delve into the darkest depths of the internet, where only Madison fans dwell, they constantly talk about Buzz being a horrible coach for never recruiting white kids, and many times I've heard them call us "Texas Western" for having only one white guy. It's a Marquette mainstay to recruit city kids. this goes back to the great "Cracked Sidewalks" quote by Al McGuire himself. Yes, these players tend to be black.

I'm not saying it's wrong for Bo to recruit Minnesotans and upper Wisconsinites, in fact considering the fact that those areas are the Antarctica of basketball recruitment, I have to say that it's amazing he's able to win with those recruits. But Marquette has always been an inner city-recruiting team, and a  lot of these kids have gone through a lot more than white suburban kids from Appleton. So I'm not surprised at all that it's not always an easy transition to college, but Marquette graduates their players with roughly the same rate as UW-Madison.

So both sides need to stop focusing on race. It's just different recruitment from different socioeconomic areas. It's childish to focus on race.

feedback