[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can Marquette be "The Next Villanova"?  (Read 35392 times)

Farley36

• All American
Re: Can Marquette be "The Next Villanova"?
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
Maybe we should take the steps necessary to get there and try to be an Iowa or Houston first before we decide we’ll be the best program in college basketball for a decade.

That’s the point.  It’s so ludicrous to ask if we can be Villanova when we can’t even muster the consistency of teams like Iowa or Houston or Creighton.  We’re more likely to turn into a DePaul than a Villanova at this point.  We are obviously neither at the moment but anyone who thinks we’re closer to becoming Villanova than we are to becoming DePaul refuses to accept our current reality. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
That’s the point.  It’s so ludicrous to ask if we can be Villanova when we can’t even muster the consistency of teams like Iowa or Houston or Creighton.  We’re more likely to turn into a DePaul than a Villanova at this point.  We are obviously neither at the moment but anyone who thinks we’re closer to becoming Villanova than we are to becoming DePaul refuses to accept our current reality. 

You can keep saying it, but you can keep being wrong.

I don't think you understand how completely awful a program DePaul is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »

You can keep saying it, but you can keep being wrong.

I don't think you understand how completely awful a program DePaul is.

I do.  You don’t seem to understand how much closer Marquette is to awful than to excellence.  You seem to believe 3 awful NCAA tourney appearances and nothing else in the past decade equates to MU being a good program.

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
I do.  You don’t seem to understand how much closer Marquette is to awful than to excellence.  You seem to believe 3 awful NCAA tourney appearances and nothing else in the past decade equates to MU being a good program.

I mean...it does.  Marquette is a "good program."  (They have been to an Elite 8 in the last decade BTW.) 

DePaul is a horrendous program.  May be the worst P6 program over the past decade. 

You are letting emotions cloud your judgement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »
Marquette is not a “good program” right now.   Technically the elite 8 was this decade but you and I both know that’s not representative of where the program is now or has been for many, many years.   I feel bad for you that you consider this “good.”   My expectations aren’t even that high.  I don’t ever expect them to be Villanova.  Just win a tourney game once in a while and be competitive.   They aren’t even good enough to do that.   I guess your definition of good is NCAA 30% of the time and consistent 1st round exits.   Awesome, enjoy your good program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2022, 01:54:21 PM »
Marquette is not a “good program” right now.   Technically the elite 8 was this decade but you and I both know that’s not representative of where the program is now or has been for many, many years.   I feel bad for you that you consider this “good.”   My expectations aren’t even that high.  I don’t ever expect them to be Villanova.  Just win a tourney game once in a while and be competitive.   They aren’t even good enough to do that.   I guess your definition of good is NCAA 30% of the time and consistent 1st round exits.   Awesome, enjoy your good program.

Thanks, bro
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2022, 02:00:40 PM »

Being in the NCAA tournament as one of the 36 at large teams, pretty much means you are "good."  Are they "very good" or "excellent?"  Nope.  Perhaps they will return there one day.  Miles ahead of DePaul though.

You don't have to feel bad for me.  I have approached this logically and objectively.  You have decided to let your emotions overcome your intelligence and are lashing out in every thread like a child at naptime. 

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2022, 02:04:11 PM »

Being in the NCAA tournament as one of the 36 at large teams, pretty much means you are "good."  Are they "very good" or "excellent?"  Nope.  Perhaps they will return there one day.  Miles ahead of DePaul though.

You don't have to feel bad for me.  I have approached this logically and objectively.  You have decided to let your emotions overcome your intelligence and are lashing out in every thread like a child at naptime.

It’s funny how the ones who always resort to insults are the logical, objective ones.  😂😂😂

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »

To be fair, we were five wins away from Villanova, and DePaul was five wins away from us in the standings.  While we're not closer to DePaul, we're not closer to Villanova either.

And DePaul is at least making an attempt at making the right moves and trending upward. I don't think we can rely on the ineptitude of Jean Lenti Ponsetto to stay ahead of DePaul anymore.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2022, 02:28:58 PM »
It’s funny how the ones who always resort to insults are the logical, objective ones.  😂😂😂

You're simply wrong about us being closer to DePaul, who hasn't even sniffed an NCAA tournament bid in years, but you'll never admit it because you're one of those guys who's never wrong.

And you've also said twice that I've seen (and perhaps more, because I haven't read every thread) that you no longer care about Marquette hoops so you're gone.

Bye!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2022, 02:43:23 PM »
You're simply wrong about us being closer to DePaul, who hasn't even sniffed an NCAA tournament bid in years, but you'll never admit it because you're one of those guys who's never wrong.

And you've also said twice that I've seen (and perhaps more, because I haven't read every thread) that you no longer care about Marquette hoops so you're gone.

Bye!

In the last 10 years Villanova has been regular season conference champions 7 times and tournament champs 5 times.  In that time they have also been to the tourney 9 times.  They have made it to the second round 7 times.  They have made the S16 3 times.  They have won 2 national championships. 

Marquette is not closer to this level of excellence than they are to not making the tourney at all.  They have made the tourney only 3 times and have lost each time.  They’d need to only make it 3 less times a decade to be DePaul.  They’d need to make it 6 more times a decade and still wouldn’t be Villanova.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2022, 02:44:23 PM »
In the last 10 years Villanova has been regular season conference champions 7 times and tournament champs 5 times.  In that time they have also been to the tourney 9 times.  They have made it to the second round 7 times.  They have made the S16 3 times.  They have won 2 national championships. 

Marquette is not closer to this level of excellence than they are to not making the tourney at all.  They have made the tourney only 3 times and have lost each time.  They’d need to only make it 3 less times a decade to be DePaul.  They’d need to make it 6 more times a decade and still wouldn’t be Villanova.

Bye!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:46:07 PM by MU82 »

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2022, 02:45:48 PM »
Bye!

Clarissa and MU82- founding members of the “I don’t want it to be true so it’s not true regardless of facts” club.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2022, 02:47:16 PM »

Bye!

Great argument except Villanova actually pulled it off.  Marquette hasn’t even taken a step in the right direction.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »

Marquette has made the tournament four times in the "last ten years."  It would have been five in 2020 but Covid.

During that time, DePaul made the CBI.  That's it.

Clarissa and MU82- founding members of the “I don’t want it to be true so it’s not true regardless of facts” club.

Says the guy who repeatedly states "last ten years" or "last decade" but ignores one of those years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2022, 02:54:16 PM »

Here's a fact for ex-fan Farley36:

Just 9 years ago, Villanova was coming off a 3-year stretch that included 2 first-round NCAAT losses, a 13-19 season, and Big East finishes of 9th place, 13th place and 7th place.

Meanwhile, Marquette was capping a run of 8 straight NCAAT appearances by going S16-S16-E8 and winning a Big East title.

Ipso fatso, by your "facts," Villanova had NO chance to be the next Marquette, let alone the next Villanova.

The stoopid Nova athletic department, stoopid Wright, the stoopid players and their stoopid fans shoulda just accepted mediocrity.

Bye!

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2022, 02:55:24 PM »
Marquette has made the tournament four times in the "last ten years."  It would have been five in 2020 but Covid.

During that time, DePaul made the CBI.  That's it.

Says the guy who repeatedly states "last ten years" or "last decade" but ignores one of those years.

Ok, Marquette only made the tourney 4 less times than Nova.  Made one elite 8 as opposed to two National championships.  Marquette has been treading down since while Nova maintains a consistent level of excellence.  You’re not helping your argument.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2022, 02:59:38 PM »
Here's a fact for ex-fan Farley36:

Just 9 years ago, Villanova was coming off a 3-year stretch that included 2 first-round NCAAT losses, a 13-19 season, and Big East finishes of 9th place, 13th place and 7th place.

Meanwhile, Marquette was capping a run of 8 straight NCAAT appearances by going S16-S16-E8 and winning a Big East title.

Ipso fatso, by your "facts," Villanova had NO chance to be the next Marquette, let alone the next Villanova.

The stoopid Nova athletic department, stoopid Wright, the stoopid players and their stoopid fans shoulda just accepted mediocrity.

Bye!

This is helping your argument to say that MU used to be better than Nova but no longer is?   That’s we’re heading in the exact wrong direction is an indicator that we are closer to becoming Villanova than DePaul?  You think I’m the one accepting mediocrity and that’s your argument?  If you didn’t want to accept mediocrity you should be saying “you’re right, we are not in a state where our program compares to Villanova.  Things need to change.” 

Instead you’re here trying to argue that we’re a good program.  😂😂😂

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2022, 03:13:41 PM »
This is helping your argument to say that MU used to be better than Nova but no longer is?   That’s we’re heading in the exact wrong direction is an indicator that we are closer to becoming Villanova than DePaul?  You think I’m the one accepting mediocrity and that’s your argument?  If you didn’t want to accept mediocrity you should be saying “you’re right, we are not in a state where our program compares to Villanova.  Things need to change.” 

Instead you’re here trying to argue that we’re a good program.  😂😂😂

I am not comparing our program to Villanova. I started this thread, and that's not what it was about.

I asked if we could be the next Villanova -- if we could do what Villanova did when they weren't yet what they have become. I like to think everybody attached to the program aspires for that.

The point is that a decade ago, Villanova wasn't the next Villanova. It didn't even look like they were the next Marquette. But their coach did a great job bringing in and developing the "right" talent, they started to make serious NCAAT runs, they won titles, and they became what "NOVA!" has become.

You and Sultan can have whatever argument you want about Nova/DePaul. I shouldn't have interjected myself into it because I think it's a stoopid argument.

I am hopeful that Shaka Smart will prove to be our Jay Wright and that, given our resources and facilities, we eventually can be regarded as one of the best programs in the country.

Do I know it will happen? Of course not -- and I never claimed I did. Obviously, the odds are against it happening. But yes, I'd rather believe that it can happen than think it is hopeless.

Unlike you, I'm not planning to stop pulling for our alma mater's basketball program.

Quitting on Marquette basketball because "we're doomed to be DePaul" is your prerogative ... so stop talking about it and do it already!

For somebody who has declared himself to no longer care, you seem to have a lot of problems letting go.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2022, 04:22:02 PM »
Marquette is a million miles away from Nova and a million miles away from DePaul. Who cares if one or the other is actually a million and one. Stupid argument.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
Call me a clown all you want but it’s true.  You’re just salty because you know it’s true.  No way Marquette is anywhere close to Villanova.  Villanova would be insulted at the thought.  They are the pinnacle of what Marquette could hope to be and you are clownish for even thinking we’re close to them.  You’re living in fantasy land.
100%.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2022, 04:37:18 PM »

forget metrics, algorithms etc. Q. Did the eye test tell you MU deserved a ncaa bid?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2022, 04:40:15 PM »
forget metrics, algorithms etc. Q. Did the eye test tell you MU deserved a ncaa bid?

Yes

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »
Villanova will be playing on Sunday.  Where will Marquette be?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2022, 05:00:27 PM »
Villanova will be playing on Sunday.  Where will Marquette be?

Cool story, bro