[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Farve back in Tampa...?  (Read 6562 times)

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
Farve back in Tampa...?
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »
per ESPN - "Only days after Brett Favre told the Packers he wants to play next season, sources told Chris Mortensen that the quarterback has asked Green Bay for his unconditional release."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

As a Bears fan, I am just wondering on how Pack fans feel about this.

Tampa = http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-29/Favre-s-ideal-destination--Tampa-Bay-.html

muhoosier260

• All American
Re: Farve back in Tampa...?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
"Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that the quarterback said publicly and privately in March that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said. Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either."

This guy waffles more than a politician

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
per ESPN - "Only days after Brett Favre told the Packers he wants to play next season, sources told Chris Mortensen that the quarterback has asked Green Bay for his unconditional release."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

As a Bears fan, I am just wondering on how Pack fans feel about this.

Tampa = http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-29/Favre-s-ideal-destination--Tampa-Bay-.html

It sucks for Packers fans.  I don't know if I can really blame Favre as it sounds like he was willing to come back to the Packers but the Packers had moved on to A Rodge's time, but it still sucks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jce

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »
It sucks for Packers fans.  I don't know if I can really blame Favre as it sounds like he was willing to come back to the Packers but the Packers had moved on to A Rodge's time, but it still sucks.

I've gone back and forth on it.  But it comes down to who helps you win the most now.  And I think that answer has to be Favre.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
It sucks for Packers fans.  I don't know if I can really blame Favre as it sounds like he was willing to come back to the Packers but the Packers had moved on to A Rodge's time, but it still sucks.

Disagree. If he's "never been into it" in March, then why not wait until April to make up your mind? Still weeks before the draft, so the Packers have plenty of time to plan accordingly.

The Packers didn't move on until Favre announced his retirement. Had he said in March (or April) that he wanted to keep playing, Thompson and McCarthy would have welcomed him back with open arms. Sounds like neither GM nor Coach begged Favre to play (if you have to convince a guy to play, do you really want him playing?). Favre evidently took this to mean they didn't want him back, so he got all insecure and quit, like a unnatural carnal knowledgeing high schooler.

I flat-out love Brett Favre, but his actions in this whole situation piss me off.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »

Disagree. If he's "never been into it" in March, then why not wait until April to make up your mind? Still weeks before the draft, so the Packers have plenty of time to plan accordingly.

The Packers didn't move on until Favre announced his retirement. Had he said in March (or April) that he wanted to keep playing, Thompson and McCarthy would have welcomed him back with open arms. Sounds like neither GM nor Coach begged Favre to play (if you have to convince a guy to play, do you really want him playing?). Favre evidently took this to mean they didn't want him back, so he got all insecure and quit, like a fracking high schooler.

I flat-out love Brett Favre, but his actions in this whole situation piss me off.

+1
But I like to throw handfuls...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »

The Packers didn't move on until Favre announced his retirement. Had he said in March (or April) that he wanted to keep playing, Thompson and McCarthy would have welcomed him back with open arms. Sounds like neither GM nor Coach begged Favre to play (if you have to convince a guy to play, do you really want him playing?). Favre evidently took this to mean they didn't want him back, so he got all insecure and quit, like a fracking high schooler.

Oh no I understand that and that's what I meant.  I didn't mean that they didn't want him at the end of the season, I meant that after he retired the Packers moved on and now don't want him back because it's time to let Aaron Rodgers take the reign.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Oh no I understand that and that's what I meant.  I didn't mean that they didn't want him at the end of the season, I meant that after he retired the Packers moved on and now don't want him back because it's time to let Aaron Rodgers take the reign.

Gotcha. My bad...

The latest from Jay Glazer, which, in my opinion, paints Favre in an even less-flattering light...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Packers-won't-release-Favre

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
This is going to be a real mess and Favre has only himself to blame for the situation in which he finds himself.  I love the guy and was shocked when he "retired". 

Now, apparently, he decided to come back in late March, then reneged on that agreement two days before he was scheduled to meet and finalize the terms.  Then, he changes his mind again and wants back in after the fact.

I think it is highly doubtful that the Pack will release him, no strings attached.  He may feel he is owed that, due to all he has done for the team, but he also was paid handsomely for his efforts.  This will end up being business, and it is bad business to give away a prized asset, no strings attached.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
This is going to be a real mess and Favre has only himself to blame for the situation in which he finds himself.  I love the guy and was shocked when he "retired". 

Now, apparently, he decided to come back in late March, then reneged on that agreement two days before he was scheduled to meet and finalize the terms.  Then, he changes his mind again and wants back in after the fact.

I think it is highly doubtful that the Pack will release him, no strings attached.  He may feel he is owed that, due to all he has done for the team, but he also was paid handsomely for his efforts.  This will end up being business, and it is bad business to give away a prized asset, no strings attached.

Agree with you on all counts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »
keep him and make him ride the bench.

he can back up Rodgers.

an eye for an eye... as it were.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 08:22:23 AM »

he can back up Rodgers.

which means he'll be starting by week 3 based on Rodgers injury history as a backup.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:55 PM »

he can back up Rodgers.

No way they can do that.  Every interception that Rodgers has, the press will be pushing Favre, so will the fans.  Rodgers will be given no room for error and a team can't operate that way.  You have to give the QB some freedom.  If they take him back, they have to trade him....putting him on the bench is an absolute no win for that team, it will cause a circus like you can't believe.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »
not sure if it was due to editing or just is what it is, but I thought the inteview by van Susteren lthat aired last night was a bunch of softball questions being answered disingenuously by Favre.  Hope part 2 is better tonight, more honest and with tougher questions, but I have my doubts.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:35:22 AM »
Blah, blah, blah.

When training camp starts, GB will have 4 QBs to "evaluate" and answer the question, who's the best, who can we win the most games with.

What are the Packers going to do, go with the 2nd best QB in camp to start the season?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »
I hope you are right, but egos are involved and that option may no longer be available.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
Blah, blah, blah.

When training camp starts, GB will have 4 QBs to "evaluate" and answer the question, who's the best, who can we win the most games with.

What are the Packers going to do, go with the 2nd best QB in camp to start the season?

I think a lot of the issue comes from the fact that Rodgers' contract is soon up and the Packers are going to have to figure out if this guy is IN FACT their future franchise QB.  Do you think he's going to re-sign with them if they suddently reneg on their commitment to him?  I doubt it, so the Packers are in a very sensitive situation as we all know Brett is the better QB but who will be the better QB for the future of the franchise?  Just ask Chicago how easy it is to find a franchise QB, hell just find a serviceable QB.  i don't think the Packers will want to go down that road if they can identify their guy now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »
Perhaps Brett could go back to his alma mater and teach. His class would be entitled: "How to Spoil a Legacy 101." Michael Jordan and Bjorn Borg could appear as a guest lecturers.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:07 PM »
Perhaps Brett could go back to his alma mater and teach. His class would be entitled: "How to Spoil a Legacy 101." Michael Jordan and Bjorn Borg could appear as a guest lecturers.
In fairness, both of their legacies are pretty well intact, and Jordan's first return was rather critical to making his legacy what it is today.  Favre is in a different situation, but I suspect he'll still be widely admired by football fans 5-10 years down the road despite whatever happens this year.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
Brett, I finally get it.  I see why you are upset. 

On top of all the poor treatment you received from the Packers you also were not allowed to pick the next coach!  Totally understandable. 

After telling the Packers twice that you were through and forcing them to move on, ("when I announced my retirement I knew that it might mean that they would move on".... huh? .....Really?) and not being allowed to select the coach, well, anyone can see why you feel dissed.

You are a legend man but, c'mon.  You can't be serious.

Greta, you're no Tim Russert.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »
Brett looked and sounded very bad on the Greta interview. Can he ever complete a sentence? As Keith Jackson would say ... "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin'."

I think too many Favre "advisors" see that $39 million (plus much more in indorsements) still sitting on the table and wondering how they can get some of it. Bus Cook, what's your share? Zero if he doesn't play again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
Brett Favre is the girlfriend you had in high school.

She was hot, and she was great for a long time, but then she wasn't sure if she wanted to be with you anymore... then she decided she did, and everything was great for another year... then came senior year, and she wasnt sure again, but in the end, much to your delight, she decided to come back.  This year was especially good and you almost went 'all the way' but in the end some Giant d-bag burst into the room and broke up the fun. 

Now High School is over and she realizes that she can't give you 100% anymore, and she wants to end the relationship.  At this point you are somewhat relieved... you realize that you can't put up with her crap anymore, plus there is this hot girl that has been after you for a few years now and you are ready to make the switch... so you do.  You part ways in an amicable manner and move on with your lives... or so you thought, until one day she text messages you while you are on vacation and decides she wants you back.  But for the last few months you have been getting along just fine with the other hot girl, and you aren't sure if you want the old girl back.  The only problem is, your parents LOVE the old girlfriend even though she isn't what she used to be.

In the end (hopefully), you decide that your old girlfriend was the past and that you have to move forward if you ever want to grow as a person.  Maybe this new girl will pan out, maybe she won't, but at least you are your own man again.

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Favre back in Tampa...?
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
nice analogy.

Favre continues to look like a manipulative ex girl friend by throwing Campen under the bus (bagged him good with the Packers) and now says he doesn't want to show up at camp to try to stick it to the Packers.  Also says he is  no hurry to apply for rI have a toothachetatement since he can wait up until the 6th week of the regular season to do so. 

Think he'll be hoping for a major injury to Rodgers during the first five weeks so that the Packers have to beg him to come back?

Hards_ I'll bet you can work this into the analogy easily.