[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Heat Fans Are the Worst, and Lakers Fans Can Rejoice  (Read 6255 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Heat Fans Are the Worst, and Lakers Fans Can Rejoice
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
We've debated this topic I couldn't find the thread...
I LOVE the fact that these pitiful "fans" missed the end of last night's classic.  

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-finals-2013-heat-fans-worst-lakers-fans-150400471.html

Check out their marketing campaign to teach Miami how to be on time:
http://www.viddler.com/v/bc926714

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:31:07 PM by TomW1365 »

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: Heat Fans Are the Worst, and Lakers Fans Can Rejoice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
Culture of the city.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
Many Dodger fans missed Kirk Gibson's walk off in the 88 series.

Many Marquette fans probably turned off the Davidson game when it looked out of reach.

Doesn't mean they are bad fans, just means they are human and don't like to see their team lose when it matters most.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
Many Dodger fans missed Kirk Gibson's walk off in the 88 series.

Many Marquette fans probably turned off the Davidson game when it looked out of reach.

Doesn't mean they are bad fans, just means they are human and don't like to see their team lose when it matters most.

No. They're terrible fans. They don't show up. It took LeBron having to put on an elaborate dunk show to have people show up on time. There may not be a worse fan base in the sport. LA Clips/Lakers come in second.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »

Outting warriorchick here......

Couldn't sneak out of work so DVR'd the game.  Forced me to promise not to update her from courtside at Rupp Arena.  With 2-3 minutes to go I must admit that cancelling her plane ticket down for the weekend was crossing my mind.  Then the miracle.

Anyway, warriorchick gets home and starts watching the game truly not knowing the result.  I'm enjoying many barley pops in post game celebration at the Hilton (Hyatt?, can't remember).  With 4-5 minutes of gametime left on the DVR chick decides she can't take it anymore and starts hitting the 30+ second FF button to 'get this over with' only to see the Marquette crowd postgame pandemonium and then having to rewind and watch.  Of course in Lexington I'm telling everyone that at some point in the next 90 minutes my cellphone is going to explode when she finally witnesses the finish and knows she's hoping on a plane.  It was like winning all over again.  Man, that was a great day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:51:25 AM by jsglow »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Glow...love it!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
Outting warriorchick here......

Couldn't sneak out of work so DVR'd the game.  Forced me to promise not to update her from courtside at Rupp Arena.  With 2-3 minutes to go I must admit that cancelling her plane ticket down for the weekend was crossing my mind.  Then the miracle.

Anyway, warriorchick gets home and starts watching the game truly not knowing the result.  I'm enjoying many barley pops in post game celebration at the Hilton (Hyatt?, can't remember).  With 4-5 minutes of gametime left on the DVR chick decides she can't take it anymore and starts hitting the 30+ second FF button to 'get this over with' only to see the Marquette crowd postgame pandemonium and then having to rewind and watch.  Of course in Lexington I'm telling everyone that at some point in the next 90 minutes my cellphone is going to explode when she finally witnesses the finish and knows she's hoping on a plane.  It was like winning all over again.  Man, that was a great day.

Great story!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Glow...love it!!!

Never met Glow, but its not like he couldn't have found another broad to use the ticket, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »

Never met Glow, but its not like he couldn't have found another broad to use the ticket, hey?

I had a 'date' for the Davidson game; my 6'3" buddy that spent 20+ years serving his country and works tirelessly on behalf of MU.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
No. They're terrible fans. They don't show up. It took LeBron having to put on an elaborate dunk show to have people show up on time. There may not be a worse fan base in the sport. LA Clips/Lakers come in second.

Got it.  You hate Lebron, the Heat, and everything to do with either.  Don't get me wrong I understand the notion, as it's how I feel about the Packers.

According to the shot chart and play by play, Lebron had 2 dunks in game 6.  Quite elaborate indeed.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »

There are many "bad" fan bases, but what criteria are you using?  When I was a MU student the Packers couldn't sell out some of the Milwaukee games...does that make them bad?  The team was horrible, people want to pay for a winning product.  Atlanta and many of the warm weather areas (Calif, Phoenix, Florida, Texas) markets have a ton of transplants and many other things to do.  I think the Miami fans that left the other day it's shameful, but they do sell out those games, Lakers have for eons (So. Cal supports Angels and Dodgers very well).  Every fan base has it's issues....Philly fans pelting Santa Claus or making life hell for visiting fans, risking your life to go to a Dodger game wearing a Giants jersey, etc. 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
Today, Heat fans are the luckiest.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/miami-heat-fans-are-the-worst-2013-6?op=1

See the part about how it took them 5 years to learn how to spell Wade's name correctly

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
Got it.  You hate Lebron, the Heat, and everything to do with either.  Don't get me wrong I understand the notion, as it's how I feel about the Packers.

According to the shot chart and play by play, Lebron had 2 dunks in game 6.  Quite elaborate indeed.

While the first statement is true, I myself hate the Packers myself, but in pregame warm ups. They used James and his pre game dunks as a way to entice people to show up on time. That is absolutely pathetic. The arena isn't full until midway through the first quarter throughout the entire season. Disgraceful.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
There are many "bad" fan bases, but what criteria are you using?  When I was a MU student the Packers couldn't sell out some of the Milwaukee games...does that make them bad?  The team was horrible, people want to pay for a winning product.  Atlanta and man of the warm weather areas (Calif, Phoenix, Florida, Texas) markets have a ton of transplants and many other things to do.  I think the Miami fans that left the other day it's shameful, but they do sell out those games, Lakers have for eons (So. Cal supports Angels and Dodgers very well).  Every fan base has it's issues....Philly fans pelting Santa Claus or making life hell for visiting fans, risking your life to go to a Dodger game wearing a Giants jersey, etc. 

I think a bad fan base is one that is based on bandwagoners, which will happen to any team that starts getting good. It's happening with the Hawks in Chicago, suddenly everyone is a fan, but if you say names like bobby hull or ed belfour, no one will know them. You look at the trailblazers and griz. Even though the Blazers have taken a step back, they sell out every game. Passionate fans that really love the team. You look at fans of Lakers and Heat, you see people that don't care for the team. I understand there are passionate fans in both cities, just look at Clipper Dan in LA. But what Miami has are not fans. They are made up of people that go to games because they can afford it. They are notoriously late, perhaps the most boring in terms of support with chants or noise. People go to heat games to say they've done so, because it's a celebrity type of event. So disloyalty, laziness, and lack of organization and creativity makes it a bad fan base in my opinion.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
I think a bad fan base is one that is based on bandwagoners, which will happen to any team that starts getting good. It's happening with the Hawks in Chicago, suddenly everyone is a fan, but if you say names like bobby hull or ed belfour, no one will know them. You look at the trailblazers and griz. Even though the Blazers have taken a step back, they sell out every game. Passionate fans that really love the team. You look at fans of Lakers and Heat, you see people that don't care for the team. I understand there are passionate fans in both cities, just look at Clipper Dan in LA. But what Miami has are not fans. They are made up of people that go to games because they can afford it. They are notoriously late, perhaps the most boring in terms of support with chants or noise. People go to heat games to say they've done so, because it's a celebrity type of event. So disloyalty, laziness, and lack of organization and creativity makes it a bad fan base in my opinion.
Have you ever personally attended a Heat game in Miami?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »
Yeah, the Bandwagoning BlackHawk fans who have sold out (including standing room) every game for the last several seasons.   I remember being at a College basketball doubleheader at the Stadium and ,when we were leaving, it was a raging blizzard outside. A guy pulls up in a brand new car, don't remember what, and asked if we would drive it around the block a few times while he buys Blackhawk ticketsn he would drive us wherever we wanted to go. WE did and he did.   Also my father-in-law is a diehard Hawks fan so I know a few. Easy to generalize when you don't have clue.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »
10 years ago the Blackhawks were 24th (out of 30) in attendance.  I've lived in the suburbs of Chicago my whole life and have never seen anything near the support the Hawks have gotten the last three years. 

I know everybody has an uncle/dad/grandpa/neighbor who has always been a die-hard fan; that does not mean that 90% of the fans wearing their Kane jerseys at the grocery store aren't on a bandwagon.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
The old "our fan base is better than yours" is one of the lamest in sports. It's often made by fans of inferior teams. I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, und during that time the Sox have been both good and bad. On the other side of town, the Cubs have been almost always bad. To avoid talking about the relative strengths of the teams on the field, many of my Cub fan friends fail safe to an argument about the relative merits of each team's fan bases. Who cares and what in the wide, wide world of sports does it have to do with baseball?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:31:57 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
10 years ago the Blackhawks were 24th (out of 30) in attendance.  I've lived in the suburbs of Chicago my whole life and have never seen anything near the support the Hawks have gotten the last three years. 

I know everybody has an uncle/dad/grandpa/neighbor who has always been a die-hard fan; that does not mean that 90% of the fans wearing their Kane jerseys at the grocery store aren't on a bandwagon.

Old man Wirtz (Rocky's father) nearly destroyed a once thriving franchise. No home games on TV and other backward looking policies eventually relegated the team to the scrap heap. It's not just the quality of play that's improved on W Madison in the last decade - the franchise moved into the 21st century and it's paid dividends.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Old man Wirtz (Rocky's father) nearly destroyed a once thriving franchise. No home games on TV and other backward looking policies eventually relegated the team to the scrap heap. It's not just the quality of play that's improved on W Madison in the last decade - the franchise moved into the 21st century and it's paid dividends.

+10,000.  Exactly the answer and in fact great for the NHL as a whole.  Go Hawks.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »

I have a buddy of mine who started watching during the finals. I myself have been watching for the last couple years, so maybe their run will bring is some more fans. But after they scored the empty netter in game 5, lots of people I know made a big deal about it. "Goal from center ice? Boston sucks". all that good stuff. It was an empty net, let's not get ahead of ourselves. While I am happy that many more people are watching the games, which leads to sellouts and more exposure for the city and the league as a whole, small things like that upset me. People were talking about Crawford's glove side after game 4, with many of the newer fans being really harsh on him. Truth is that his glove side and his play this year has been nothing short of spectacular, and that a goaltender will have a bad game here and there (Lucky thing Rask had his bad game at the same time  :D). Just little things like that are a little annoying, but overall, I'm happy that people are watching. The city will be crazy again if they manage to close it out in 6. Something like 2 million people were in the city for the parade in 2010; it'll be crazy to see that again.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
. People were talking about Crawford's glove side after game 4, with many of the newer fans being really harsh on him. Truth is that his glove side and his play this year has been nothing short of spectacular, and that a goaltender will have a bad game here and there (Lucky thing Rask had his bad game at the same time.

Jeremy Roenick did a feature for NBC about Crawford's struggle with the glove and it was pretty much the talk of hockey "experts" everywhere. "Newer fans" (or older ones) didn't question Corey's glove without reason.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »
While the first statement is true, I myself hate the Packers myself, but in pregame warm ups. They used James and his pre game dunks as a way to entice people to show up on time. That is absolutely pathetic. The arena isn't full until midway through the first quarter throughout the entire season. Disgraceful.

A sellout is a sellout. That's all the owner cares about so he can pay those huge contracts.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 12:12:03 AM »
Jeremy Roenick did a feature for NBC about Crawford's struggle with the glove and it was pretty much the talk of hockey "experts" everywhere. "Newer fans" (or older ones) didn't question Corey's glove without reason.

But that's the thing. His glove side was weak for one game out of a spectacular season. So they watched the broadcast, listened to the commentators, and made their opinion based off of one exposure. The day after at work, many were talking, with criticism being harsh. I guess ignorance might be a good word. They've seen one game and know everything. I'm sure you must know what I'm trying to explain. Hahaha. Just a little annoying is all.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
Wait, is this one of this "yeah, but..." kind of things?

"The Heat will never win a title."
(Heat win a title)

"Yeah, but the Heat will never win two in a row"
(Heat win 2 in a row)

"Yeah, but the Heat have the worst fans"
(every title contending team has frontrunning fans. It's the nature of the business)

"Yea, but they are the worst..."

(etc. etc.)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »

When I lived in Chicago from 2001-2008, I could never find anyone to take my Hawks season ticket if I couldn't make a game. There was simply no interest. Not little interest. Not some interest. No interest. Some games we'd be lucky to have 5,000 actual people in the seats.

Except for relatively few franchises, this is how it goes with attendance up and down through the good and bad years.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »
The old "our fan base is better than yours" is one of the lamest in sports.

+1000 to that. 

So old and stale as an "argument." 

Living in Boston, I encounter this dips***ery all the time.  Bostonians are all "bandwagon"
fans, because their teams win a lot, and they have great attendance.  Ironclad logic.

And agree with this completely.  Ask Raider fans about the agony of LITERALLY
waiting for the team's owner to die so your team has the chance to improve.  That was
the mentality of Hawks fans with Wirtz.

I suppose, though, some posters' logic here is that ONLY TRUE FANS (while pounding their
chests, of course) would still shell out for tickets to subsidize Wirtz' cheap-ass, luddite, incompetent
ownership.  The fact that the Cubs sell out all the time, despite being a complete tragicomedy
of a franchise, doesn't mean they have TRUE FANS.  It means they're gullible (but loyal) idiots;
I should know since I'm one of them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »

Absolutely correct

feedback