'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 111129 times)

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »
I think you overestimate how much this will piss off high school coaches in Wisconsin. At worst, this pisses off the coach of Rice Lake

I think you underestimate how this will impact AAU coaches tied to Ellenson, which are more important than HS coaches in the NW corner of the state

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
A few observations/opinions:

1. Why is everybody assuming that the Ellensons will never tell their side? It might not happen immediately, but all it will take is for Henry to be comfortable with a reporter or to be in the mood to talk. It took a couple of years before Wade said how hurt he was that Illinois and DePaul spurned him. Once Hankster is an established pro, and if he feels like talking, he will. For that matter, Wally could talk about it after he's officially done at Marquette. And didn't John Ellenson talk about some bitterness from his own playing days? Why do we assume he'll never talk about this? I doubt any of them will have signed non-disclosure agreements, nor that MU will have asked them to.

2. Those opining that the Pol-axing of Wally will have long-term negative repercussions on the program ... holy effen drama! Likely, the repercussions will be minimal and short-lived. As at least one poster said, high school studs care only about themselves. And if Wojo is as good a recruiter as he sure seems to be, this won't be an issue.

3. All Wally had to do to secure his place on this year's team was project as a contributor in 2016-17. He didn't. He couldn't get court time at Minnesota, either. It's not an accident or a conspiracy. It's simply a fact that Wally is not an especially good basketball player.

4. A couple of people brought up how this might influence the Hausers. In what way? Sam is already signed up; soon he'll be taking part in our summer program. Unlike Wally, he's a top-100 recruit with serious talent, so the notion that Wojo recruited him just to get to Joey is silly. Sam already will have been at Marquette for quite some time before Joey makes his decision. I would think Joey would consider how Sam likes his Marquette experience, not Wally Ellenson's situation. I mean, did Henry base his decision on Newbill?

5. Did Wojo "use" Wally to get Henry? Maybe, but as others have pointed out, Wally used having an All-American brother to get himself a pretty sweet situation, too. As a Marquette alum, I don't feel one iota of shame or sliminess in this situation. If Buckyville makes fun of us, who gives a shyte? They do anyway.

6. I'll be quiet now. Maybe some 2021 recruit is reading this board and we don't want him to get the wrong idea.

Good point.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »
Seems like he got the nudge to go qualify for the olympics in high jump on scholarship, hope my blue and gold glasses aren't too dark

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
Seems like he got the nudge to go qualify for the olympics in high jump on scholarship, hope my blue and gold glasses aren't too dark

If that were the case the press release would have been worded as such and the parents wouldn't be subtweeting Wojo.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
More? No.

Do you think that someone at sometime may ask them their opinion andfeelings on the situation? Yes.
fr

It'd be great to get them on record rather then cryptic tweets. Still, they'll be viewed as a family feeling burned yet they're one son is a millionaire and their other son didn't pay a cent to play his hobby of ball whilst continuing to hone his tremendous skill as a track athlete after attending Marquette.

For the neutral, this isn't even a shoulder shrug of a story. And they still have to deal with Wojo, who after nearly 20 years on the front lines of this business will have a perfectly crafted narrative fine tuned just right so that the media moves on to another "controversy". 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »
My biggest concern is not that this happened... It happens all over the place, Wojo isn't dumb, he knows how this works in college basketball. Yes Wally will have all 4 years of his college free etc... (color me jealous cause I am still paying my college bill) and has a chance to join the olympic team.

However, biggest concern, how will the players on the team handle this? Will there be some backlash and lack of team going on?

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
There could also be some lingering resentment of Wojo and staff of the current players regarding the situation.

The original purpose of the thread focused on a non-ellenson likely commenting negatively on this very issue.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
My biggest concern is not that this happened... It happens all over the place, Wojo isn't dumb, he knows how this works in college basketball. Yes Wally will have all 4 years of his college free etc... (color me jealous cause I am still paying my college bill) and has a chance to join the olympic team.

However, biggest concern, how will the players on the team handle this? Will there be some backlash and lack of team going on?

Considering Wally's parents had to sue his original high school over teammates bullying Wally, I'm not too worried about the other scholarship players.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »
Actually no. Nothing counts until August school starts if I'm not mistaken.

Unless one gets Newbilled

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »
Considering Wally's parents had to sue his original high school over teammates bullying Wally, I'm not too worried about the other scholarship players.

Homey say what?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #386 on: April 21, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
So when do I get my Twitta Tracka of the year award haha
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #387 on: April 21, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
So when do I get my Twitta Tracka of the year award haha

Hang a banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
Crean sucks
Thanks, Henry the dentist.  We woulda never known,a'ina

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
Can you believe what a huge hit UW took with the Jerrod Uthoff situation?  I mean, obviously Bo and the program could never recover from that downfall.  What a horrendous PR hit that was.  So glad that happened and UW was never to be heard from in the NCAA Tournament again...

Oh wait.

Uthoff was from Iowa.  How many Iowa players has Wisconsin gotten since?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
I think you underestimate how this will impact AAU coaches tied to Ellenson, which are more important than HS coaches in the NW corner of the state

I don't think I am, really at all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »
http://www.twincities.com/2011/02/15/ex-basketball-player-accuses-eau-claire-school-district-in-bullying-lawsuit/

Some interesting reading in that article. Events like that, real or imagined, would create a bunker mentality for the Ellenson crew in their future dealings with basketball programs.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »
I remember people saying that when Newbill got dropped that Buzz would never get another player from Pennsylvania. As far as I can remember he did not get one. However, those bad vibes did not pass on to Wojo, so you are right they do not last forever. There is a difference though in pissing off coaches in PA than pissing off coaches in your schools home state.

Satchel Pierce is from Pennsylvania.
And you're making a mighty big assumption that this is pissing off coaches in Wisconsin or anywhere else.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »

Guess the Wisconsin pipeline is dead

Joking, because I tend to agree with you at least in the short term. This will blow over, but I don't have tremendous faith in Katin and Gill (assuming  it's him and not Young) will make the potential PR headache worth it. I will be very happy if I'm wrong.

We do get the moral high ground in that we did not affect a kid to earn his college degree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
Guess the Wisconsin pipeline is dead

Joking, because I tend to agree with you at least in the short term. This will blow over, but I don't have tremendous faith in Katin and Gill (assuming  it's him and not Young) will make the potential PR headache worth it. I will be very happy if I'm wrong.

We do get the moral high ground in that we did not affect a kid to earn his college degree.

Katin was a starter for an NCAA tournament team this past season. Why do people think that him transferring to a team that didn't make the NIT last season will cause him to lose playing time? Not necessarily asking you, I've just seen that sentiment a few times. Katin would have been our second best player last season behind Henry.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »

How many have they gone after?   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2016, 01:12:27 AM »
http://www.twincities.com/2011/02/15/ex-basketball-player-accuses-eau-claire-school-district-in-bullying-lawsuit/

This is really pathetic. If I slithered home and complained about being bullied at school I can just see my Phantom Driver father looking me square in the eye and telling me to grow the f#ck up.

Looks like the Ellensons are problematic people.

Death on call

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »
There could also be some lingering resentment of Wojo and staff of the current players regarding the situation.

Of all the hyperbole in this thread, this seems to be a real concern.  I would think it is manageable unless the going gets tough next year - i.e. Lots of losing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
Keefe

I am with you. I never would have told my Dad if I had been bullied in fear of his response. My Dad was tough, but also very kind hearted. That said, with what he experienced growing up gave him a great perspective on modern day issues.