Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best transfers in MU history  (Read 33683 times)

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
Re: Best transfers in MU history
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
David Boone

You know your stuff. Keith Stewart very low on my all time MU player list. Jay Z was high on my list, unfortunately not on the coach's list.

Thanks Goose. You obviously do too! I've loved this program since I was a little kid! The first game I can remember watching was in 1978 vs. Miami (Ohio) in NCAA. Although, I remember the national championship hoopla the year before, but not watching the game. Things get fuzzy in terms of memories around that time because I was five in 1977.

Plain and simple...I love the program.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »
Single best "transfer":

Al.

Lured him from Belmont Abbey, didn't let him escape to the Bucks!

Case closed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:45 PM »
Single best "transfer":

Al.

Lured him from Belmont Abbey, didn't let him escape to the Bucks!

Case closed.

So what your sayin' is that basically this entire exercise was worthless.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
How about a list of those who transferred out?

I'l start ... Vic Lazzaretti
Good article on Lazzaretti
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-22/news/we-300_1_loyola-marymount

I will add Gabe Levin to the list, who was an inverse Lazzaretti, came to us from Loyola Marymount and then transferred out to Long Beach State.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »
How about a list of those who transferred out?

I'l start ... Vic Lazzaretti

Jeronne Maymon and Trevor Mbakwe immediately come to mind. The big men we always needed yet never had. At least not long enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
JFC, you guys.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
Niv, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
Transfer Out= Shannon Smith
Transfer Out=John Ellenson
Transfer In = Jay Zulauf
Bad Transfer In = Keith Stewart 

Shannon Smith. Best thing he did on a basketball court was blocking MJ's shot in a scrimmage.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Shannon Smith was very athletic talent. Very disappointed in how his career at MU unfolded.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Al also said he would have done the same. Typically Al thought it was a bad idea tonleave early but in Chones case the money was too good and his mom was washing floors so Al gave his blessing.
What modern day Scoopers may not realize, is that not only did Chones leave school early, he actually left in the middle of the season.  We were the odds on favorite to win it all that year. Chones did not actually want to go but Al insisted on it.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
I think you can make a very solid argument that Chones was all time best player at MU. My pick is Wade, but Chones was special player. Not many losses when he was on the court for MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
#22 left for da Nets in February 1972 right after da Warriors beat Jacksonville at MECCA. 21-0 at da time, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
#22 left for da Nets in February 1972 right after da Warriors beat Jacksonville at MECCA. 21-0 at da time, ai na?

Should have his number on the rafters, aI'na?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
Dr.

His number showed have been in rafters years ago.

4ever
I remember learning he was gone and was heart broken. As I grew older I realized that departure is what made Al the legend he was. He guided a lot of young men towards a path of success, both off and on the court.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
It sucked major ass. 'member goin' to da game and wakin' up to da news story da next mornin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »

At the time, on Feb. 17, 1972, Marquette had a 21-0 record and was the second-ranked team in the country, only behind the Bill Walton-led UCLA Bruins. MU went 4-4 after Chones left. Incredibly disappointing finish. Had he stayed, a showdown with UCLA deep in the tournament seemed very likely.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:57:46 PM by WarriorHal »

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »
Jeronne Maymon and Trevor Mbakwe immediately come to mind. The big men we always needed yet never had. At least not long enough.

Trevor Mbakwe thought he was playing pro ball and went to Coach Brent to renegotiate the terms of his contract. The renegotiation was not a success for Trevor and as a result it was suggested that he transfer for the benefit of all parties. Maymon, Keith Stewart, and Mbakwe all transferred for different reasons. However, they were all entitlement guys that found out the hard way that the 'Quette don't play that. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »

We have Maymon, we don't have Crowder.  I take Jae.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »
4ever

It did suck, but that is what made MU cool. Everything they did, from uniforms, to midnight games, to three guys going hardship, to fights on and off the court and, most importantly, winning at crazy rate made MU cool. I laugh when I hear folks talk about hating other schools because they are winners and think we were that hated school at one time. Not only did they win, they won with an in your face attitude.

Chones leaving in Feb only adds to the legend of Al and MU basketball for a 15 year run. It would have been easy for him to have stayed and it probably might even have been the right thing to do. If he had stayed and we won the whole thing I think Al would had preferred he left for the green.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
What I tink you're sayin' and I totally agree wit, is da Warrior cache' is gowne. Da youngans here, unfortunately, will never get dis, but no matta wear ya travelled, folks new Marquette, Al McGuire, and were mystified wit hour aura, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
4ever

Folks knew we were not from Marquette, MI back in the day. The hatred by many around the country of the program was a feeling I really, really loved. You lived it on the road with the fellas and know the emotions that Al brought out in people. Kind of like his last dance to ND, the pose in front of student bodies with arms raised above head became a photo first, followed by a statue and still displayed on MU t-shirts over 40 years later.

And, yes the arrogance that I loved is gown!!!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
4ever

Folks knew we were not from Marquette, MI back in the day. The hatred by many around the country of the program was a feeling I really, really loved. You lived it on the road with the fellas and know the emotions that Al brought out in people. Kind of like his last dance to ND, the pose in front of student bodies with arms raised above head became a photo first, followed by a statue and still displayed on MU t-shirts over 40 years later.

And, yes the arrogance that I loved is gown!!!

Quite the contrast from the "sea shells and balloons" Al. He was agains the war, but never afraid of a fight. He knew a "big paycheck" and not a welfare check was the way out of the inner city or poor neighborhood regardless of race. He was arrogant on the court but had a big heart off the court. He was a man of means, but lived a middle class life style. A New Yorker who still makes Milwaukee famous while  Schlitz is a fading memory. Al will always be the face of Marquette University.

I can still remember Al riding his bike to school.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »
So, Goose, if I have been reading your posts over the last few days correctly, I think I understand your surprising negativity of a few weeks ago.    It isn't that you aren't a Marquette fan anymore.   You are.   But you have so many glorious memories of the the 70's when Marquette was an elite.    The MU basketball program you see now, while good and in the tournament, isn't elite, lacks charisma, and, in your opinion, does not have a route to greatness with the current stewardship of the program.   And this is frustrating and diminishes your enjoyment.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »
So, Goose, if I have been reading your posts over the last few days correctly, I think I understand your surprising negativity of a few weeks ago.    It isn't that you aren't a Marquette fan anymore.   You are.   But you have so many glorious memories of the the 70's when Marquette was an elite.    The MU basketball program you see now, while good and in the tournament, isn't elite, lacks charisma, and, in your opinion, does not have a route to greatness with the current stewardship of the program.   And this is frustrating and diminishes your enjoyment.

Marquette was Duke in the 70's, one difference the competition hated Al since he was so obnoxious. he wanted the opponents crowd to hate him, not his players.  Coach
K is Mister nice guy.  Not to many coaches like Al.  The 3 top teams were UCLA, Indiana and MU.   The total basketball environment was different, there was no Big East.
Time to realize that MU will never get there again.  Do not see it, what Buzz did, even Crean is what you hope you get from Wojo.  Sweet 16, hopefully, maybe Elite 8
if lucky.   Make the tournament every year, get lucky once in awhile.  Crean could not build on the success of his Final 4.  Not sure why he could not.  I am hoping Wojo
can get there next year as well.  Never easy.  Al plucked the best player from NY or Chicago in those days, not happening now.  All 5 stars, not easy to get those kids,
unless they are in our state, maybe Joey.

feedback