[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Vogue's LeBron Cover Offensive?  (Read 4462 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Is Vogue's LeBron Cover Offensive?
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
Unbelievable! I do not see why this is such an "offensive" cover. People need to lighten up, there are more important things going on in our world than whether or not this is offensive. At first thought i was confused as to why Lebron was screaming, but i didnt think king kong   What are your thoughts?

I tried to paste a copy of the picture, but cant. If someone could that i would appreciate it.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/screenshots/2008/03/is-vogues-lebro.html

Is Vogue's LeBron Cover Offensive?
March 19, 2008 12:02 AM

LeBron James has stirred up almost as much commotion on the cover of Vogue as he does on the court.

The Cleveland Cavaliers’ superstar is on the magazine’s April 2008 “shape” issue, mouth gaping, face twisted in a grimace, muscles bulging and arm slung around supermodel Gisele Bundchen.

They’re two of the most beautiful people on earth. But some say the Vogue photograph, shot by Annie Leibovitz, isn’t attractive at all because of the racial stereotype it purportedly evokes -- black beast clutching a white damsel in distress, reflected in French sculptor Emmanuel Fremiet’s 1887 statue “Gorilla Carrying Off a Woman,” and later, in the many incarnations of “King Kong.”

“Here you have an image of a black male athlete in an exceptionally aggressive stance, wide footed, bending over, clutching her with his arm,” said Jason Rosenfeld, professor of art history at Marymount Manhattan College. “It’s one thing to have an athlete in that kind of pose and with that kind of expression on a court after he or she has done something miraculous. It’s another thing to couple it with someone who is of an entirely different ilk and gender. That turns it into a racially charged image.”

Why the scrutiny? LeBron is the first black man, and only the third man in Vogue’s 115-year history, to grace the high fashion mag’s cover. 

“When you’re for the first time putting a black man on the cover, and this is the way you’re depicting him, it means that you’re going nowhere,” Rosenfeld said. “Pose LeBron in the pose of a Greek God and pose her as a Venus -- then you’re upping the conversation.”

Rosenfeld, in case you’re wondering, is white. Robin Givhan, the Pulitzer Prize-winning fashion editor of the Washington Post and a former associate editor at Vogue, is black. And she doesn’t see what all the fuss is about.

“It’s so exhausting that every time people see an image of a black person they work themselves into a tizzy that somehow it doesn’t adhere to the way in which they think a black person should be presented,” she said. 

“I find it hard to say that Gisele looks like a damsel in distress. She’s 5’11 and quite sturdy,” she continued. “My initial reaction was, maybe the photograph is trying to capture his personality. Would Michael Jordan, James Blake or Tiger Woods have been photographed in the same way?”

True, it’s hard to picture cool and calm Tiger posing like anything reminiscent of his namesake. And Vogue, asked to react to the backlash, said it chose the louder LeBron photo (as opposed to calmer pictorials inside the mag) because it’s “expressive, fun and upbeat.”

“Needless to say, the intention from the beginning was only to depict LeBron and Gisele as superstars at the top of their game,” Vogue spokesperson Patrick O’Connell said. “The point about the entire issue is that it celebrates diversity. And I think that people need to look at the entire issue.”

But Givhan said the “entire issue” is the fact that Vogue depicts so little diversity on its covers. In November, Portfolio magazine pointed out that when Jennifer Hudson was on the magazine’s cover in March 2007, she was only the third black celebrity to appear there.

“The whole LeBron thing really comes down to … maybe Vogue should have more people of color on their cover, male and female,” she said. “Maybe then they won’t be so scrutinized when they do put a person of color on their cover.”

Sheila Marikar

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Is Vogue's LeBron Cover Offensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
I didn't think King Kong either, but when you see that movie poster next to the LeBron picture...man--there is a lotta resemblance!

I am offended.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »
My two cents is that it may be a different story if Gisele appeared to be "in distress" and not SMILING.  Not offensive.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
It's good of "Jason Rosenfeld" to be offended on behalf of black people everywhere.

Race baiting at it's finest...and all so he can get his name in the newspaper.

Shameful.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
It's good of "Jason Rosenfeld" to be offended on behalf of black people everywhere.

Race baiting at it's finest...and all so he can get his name in the newspaper.

Shameful.

Second.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »
If I'm offended that people are so easily offended, does that make me offensive to myself?

What a silly story about silly people.

feedback