[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Louisville leaving for ACC  (Read 18279 times)

wiscwarrior

• Starter
Re: Louisville leaving for ACC
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »

Where is the anti-trust issue here?

I really don't know that there is, but can the schools that are being shut out of the major tv dollars and the collusion of the networks create a scenario where an ambitious attorney/politician might not try to make a case?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

Sure.  You ramp up the costs even more, which is what taxation will do, and schools are going to get more desperate.

I think that's what would ultimately lead to the collapse of the system as we currently know it.  It would eventually become true minor league football, and people would start to lose interest.

If the NFL eventually decides they can make more money playing some games on Saturdays I could see interest in college football decreasing as well.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

How about we just have a 40-team Big 10 and be done with all this crap?

We won't.  It would lead to dilution of revenue for the top dogs.  That's why all the switching is being done by just a few teams at a time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

Don't laugh ... they might be their goal and all those teams broadcast on the three Big 10 networks cutting out ESPN and everyone else.

So, in the end, it is about world domination.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »

But that money is used for research, student financial aid, etc.  It isn't used for athletics.

As precedent in numerous Title IX challenges has shown us, the courts don't much care exactly where the money is going. If schools take a dime of federal money - for any purpose - they are subject to the decisions of the federal government.

And, FWIW, it's silly to pretend you can separate the two. Most athletic departments are subsidized - in some cases to a large extent - by student fees. Some students pay those fees through federally backed loans or grants. Thus, athletic departments are supported with federal money.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

Well, eventually with the expansion, you might see a conf. go bigger in order to restore some sense with geographic divisions.

It doesn't make much sense to have Rutgers women's tennis heading to Iowa. If you have enough eastern teams, you can create BIG10 east and BIG10 West and create some efficiency for non-revenue generating sports.

"Traditionalists" will scoff, but I think most traditions are headed out the window.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
Let's be real.

If Marquette was in a more favorable position/in a power conference there would be no talk on this board of anti-trust issues and the federal government being involved.  We'd be posting about how this is just the new NCAA landscape.  Just accept the fact Marquette is not a hot commodity on the conference realignment market and move on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
Let's be real.

If Marquette was in a more favorable position/in a power conference there would be no talk on this board of anti-trust issues and the federal government being involved.  We'd be posting about how this is just the new NCAA landscape.  Just accept the fact Marquette is not a hot commodity on the conference realignment market and move on.

So wait ... you're saying a small, private school without a football program isn't a hot commodity on the conference realignment market?
Thanks for the insight.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
So wait ... you're saying a small, private school without a football program isn't a hot commodity on the conference realignment market?
Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the insightful post yourself.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
Let's be real.

Thanks for the insight.

I think that what Warriors10 was trying to provide wasn't insight, but perspective.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
I thought those three were independents before they joined the Big East?

In football, yes.  In other sports, depends. They were scattered about in a number of conferences like the Metro, Atlantic 10, etc.

beercanindasky

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.

WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING!

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »
you can't reasonably just "begin anew" when talking about a conference. it's just not realistic. the A10 has good tradition, solid programs, a better fit with the other universitys, east coast exposure, Brooklyn for their tourney... basically we would be moving to stable ground, despite the lower half of the league being weak (though which league doesnt have a weak bottom half?)

Actually you can, as long as you have 6 teams who have played with each other for at least 8 years, you can keep your auto NCAA bid.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
I don't see any way an SEC team leaves for the Big Ten, the money isn't that much different.  They have such a good thing going right now and the quality of football still matters to their fans, no way they give that up to play in the Big Ten and watch their attendance decrease.  Maybe Missouri, but they just got there and I doubt they feel like paying another exit fee this soon.

Agree, and the SEC is about to launch their own television network with ESPN.  The money is going to be staggering.  Likely launch in August of 2014.  Hold on to your wallets because the price increases from television distributors as a result of these new sports launches is going through the roof.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Agree, and the SEC is about to launch their own television network with ESPN.  The money is going to be staggering.  Likely launch in August of 2014.  Hold on to your wallets because the price increases from television distributors as a result of these new sports launches is going through the roof.

Will new deals like this be imbedded in the base costs or be in premium packages? What's your best guess on what they'll cost subscribers? I know I'm paying for the BTN in my basic but thought the cost was minimal.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »

So my monthly cable bill is going to go up because the SEC wants a football channel? Why the F*** don't we have "ala carte" programming yet?! That's it... I'm buying a Roku tomorrow.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
The irony of all this is that UNC has a huge under reported academic scandal on its hands.  The B1G might have an image problem at some point if they start grabbing all these "problem" children.

Right, because the Big 10 has never been tainted by scandal or had any of its schools put on probation.  ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Right, because the Big 10 has never been tainted by scandal or had any of its schools put on probation.  ::)

Other than Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin and, last but not least, Penn State, no Big 10 program has been found guilty of a major violation.
Hooray for Northwestern, which has merely had a gambling-related scandal or two.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
So my monthly cable bill is going to go up because the SEC wants a football channel? Why the F*** don't we have "ala carte" programming yet?! That's it... I'm buying a Roku tomorrow.

This close to doing the same.  My Time Warner agreement ends in January, and I'm basically paying $80/month for ESPN, FS North, and Bravo (don't ask). 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »

That was my point.....At least the $EC is up front with everyone...its football and thats it.  B1G likes to sit on the high horse, that much further to fall as all of college athletics gets corrupted.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
This close to doing the same.  My Time Warner agreement ends in January, and I'm basically paying $80/month for ESPN, FS North, and Bravo (don't ask). 

Does anyone know if "ala carte" cable will being coming in the relatively near future? Obviously, the cable networks would be strongly against it, but there's been growing support from viewers. People are tired of paying for crap they never watch. Personally, if I knew that even one cent of my cable bill was going to the Big 10 Network, I'd puke.

Thankfully, I live on the West Coast. If I have to fund a college sports network, I'd rather it be the Pac-12 Network.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
At the end of the day, MU going to a basketball only conference may work out very favorable.  A lot of times people can't see the bubble til it pops, but I think college football is a bubble and its going to pop big in the next 10 years.  Too much money is getting thrown around and between the concussion thing and the largely uncompensated labor force, somebody is going to come in and pull the rug out from under all this.  Not being part of a football conference avoids all that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Does anyone know if "ala carte" cable will being coming in the relatively near future? Obviously, the cable networks would be strongly against it, but there's been growing support from viewers. People are tired of paying for crap they never watch. Personally, if I knew that even one cent of my cable bill was going to the Big 10 Network, I'd puke.

Thankfully, I live on the West Coast. If I have to fund a college sports network, I'd rather it be the Pac-12 Network.

In short, doubtful.  

Good networks like AMC force companies to carry crap like IFC and Sundance on the same tier or else they won't agree to terms.  Then the consumer is stuck paying for all three channels to watch one.  ESPN and ESPN2 are by far the most expensive networks to carry because they keep upping their bids to carry live sports and passing on those fees to the cable companies who then pass it along to us.  They can't allow people to just pay $10/month for access to WatchESPN because then no company would be inclined to carry the 78 Disney channels that come along with it.  Everything is very intertwined, and it's the networks, not the cable companies forcing the status quo to remain in place.

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe Disney channels do better than I would have thought.  http://deadspin.com/5964020/more-people-watched-the-spongebob-movie-than-ucla+stanford-or-clemson+south-carolina-tv-ratings-in-context
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:12:08 PM by Bocephys »