[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seth Davis' Team of The Week  (Read 3148 times)

gmhfordham1015

• Scholarship Player
Seth Davis' Team of The Week
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Team of the Week: Marquette
Yes, both wins came at home. And yes, they were each by a single point. And yes, one of those one-point victories was aided by an officiating gaffe (see below). But after a brutal nonconference season that featured a loss to Butler on a ridiculous buzzer-beating three, an embarrassing 33-point loss at Florida, and a two-point loss at Green Bay, Marquette needed to start off 2-0 in the Big East by any means necessary. On Monday, the Golden Eagles beat UConn in overtime despite not having head coach Buzz Williams, who was serving a one-game suspension because of NCAA violations committed by an assistant. In that win, Marquette got 18 points from 6-1 senior guard Junior Cadougan, but Cadougan only shot 1-for-10 from the field against Georgetown on Saturday. No problem. The Golden Eagles pounded the Hoyas on the glass, locked ''em up on D, and eked out a 49-48 victory. That tells me this team has some toughness, character and chemistry. Now let's see if they can pull out a few close ones on the road.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130107/fast-break/#ixzz2HJgCRnqa

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Seth Davis' Team of The Week
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
"It's not easy to make two boneheaded mistakes on the same play, but that's what the officials managed to do last Tuesday in Milwaukee. When the teams lined up for the jump ball to start overtime, the refs had them facing the wrong direction. The zebras realized after Marquette's Jamil Wilson was called for goaltending a layup attempt by UConn guard Shabazz Napier. The rulebook clearly states that under such circumstances, whatever happened before the error should count as if teams were shooting toward the correct goals. For some reason, the officials waved off the basket and gave Marquette the ball based on the possession arrow. The Big East acknowledged afterward that the officials erred in their interpretation of the rules."

I'm sick of hearing this. Admittedly, I haven't seen a replay but I seem to remember seeing the official nearest the scorer's table blow his whistle and come running further onto the court to stop play at about the same time that the goaltend was called. As we were trying to figure what was going on, the guy sitting next to me even said that it looked like the ref had called traveling.

Regardless, big week for MU and another one coming up!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
Seth was good in HBOs Real Sex in the 1990s

http://deadspin.com/5868558/seth-davis-was-on-hbos-real-sex-15-years-ago

This was about the same time his father Lanny was defending Clinton BJs in the Oval (Oral) office.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
Yes, both wins came at home. And yes, they were each by a single point.

Did he look at the score of the UConn game?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »

Yes we beat Uconn by 6 points but if "real sex" says it was 1 point, how are we to argue with him?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

He updated it now.
Yes, both wins came at home. Yes, one of them came by a single point, and the other was in overtime.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
At least he had the decency to mention that the suspension was for violations by an assistant.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
He was also college friends with 670 The Score host Dan Bernstein.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
I understand what the rule says, but if one looks at the replay, there are three things to notice.

Marquette was lined up real weird.  All 5 players were on the same side of the court (the side where the bench was).  No body ever lines up like that, especially when you have a tall guy jumping and giving you a very good chance to win the tip.

Second, there are 2 Marquette players that never move after the ball is thrown up in the air for the jump.  They know there is something wrong and they are trying to find the refs to ask what is going on.  That gave UConn a big advantage pushing the ball down after the tip.

Lastly, Mike Broeker and one other guy near the bench are jumping up and down right before the tip, trying to get the refs attention to alert them that the teams are lined up wrong.

I think I would have been fine if they had just done a do over....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
I understand what the rule says, but if one looks at the replay, there are three things to notice.

Marquette was lined up real weird.  All 5 players were on the same side of the court (the side where the bench was).  No body ever lines up like that, especially when you have a tall guy jumping and giving you a very good chance to win the tip.

Second, there are 2 Marquette players that never move after the ball is thrown up in the air for the jump.  They know there is something wrong and they are trying to find the refs to ask what is going on.  That gave UConn a big advantage pushing the ball down after the tip.

Lastly, Mike Broeker and one other guy near the bench are jumping up and down right before the tip, trying to get the refs attention to alert them that the teams are lined up wrong.

I think I would have been fine if they had just done a do over....

From what I've heard and read, this is what they wanted to do, but it is not allowed.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
I'm sick of hearing it simply because there were three very bad officiating misses right in a row that the refs screwed up on in the overtime (Vander fouled on made three, Cadougan called for a block when he was pushed by an out of control ballhandler, and an over the back on following free throw).  It isn't as easy to draw attention to as "herp derp, they went the wrong way!", but it more than made up for that "blown call" problem.