Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Roundtable Question ... SU First Loss Is To MU On Jan 7  (Read 3440 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
ESPN Roundtable Question ... SU First Loss Is To MU On Jan 7
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
And if we go undefeated into that game, will it be #1 against #2?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7347882/writers-roundtable-five-big-questions-college-basketball

Our writers go around the country to answer five big questions in college basketball:

1. Syracuse is the new No. 1. Name the date of the Orange's first loss:

Eamonn Brennan: In addition to being weak and homebound in the nonconference, Syracuse's schedule stacks up very well for a deep undefeated run. I don't think NC State will get them Saturday, nor do I think DePaul or Providence will utilize home court on Jan. 1 or Jan. 4. I'll go with Jan. 7 at home versus Marquette. But even that would be somewhat of a slight upset. Looking down the line, there isn't a single game in which the Cuse won't be favored all the way until a Feb. 13 road date at Louisville. Yeah, this could take awhile.

Andy Katz: NC State is fully capable of knocking off the Orange. But the Wolfpack haven't shown they can successfully finish a game. The beginning of the Big East schedule sets up well for the Orange with games against Seton Hall, at DePaul and at Providence. My prediction is the Orange don't lose until Marquette visits the Carrier Dome on Jan. 7. Yes, the Golden Eagles are the type of team that can go into Syracuse and win.

Jason King: I'll go with a Jan. 7 home game against Marquette, but wow, the Orange have a favorable schedule over the next two months. Jim Boeheim's team plays just two ranked teams between now and Feb. 8, and both of those games (Marquette and Pitt) are at home.

Diamond Leung: Jan. 11 at Villanova. I think Syracuse comes off the high of beating Marquette and then gets surprised by the Wildcats, who aren't having their best season thus far but should be improved by then. It happens.

Myron Medcalf: I'll go with Jan. 7, when the Orange face Marquette at home. The Golden Eagles are surging and their speed and versatility could present matchup problems for Syracuse. But Saturday's road game at NC State could be dangerous, too.

Dana O'Neil: Dec. 17 at NC State. The Orange are good, very good, but haven't been tested at all. The farthest they've traveled from their Dome home is to New York City, not exactly a hostile environment. More than that, Syracuse's bread and butter has been its defense, but in the Wolfpack, it meets a team that takes smart shots. NC State shoots 47 percent from the floor. The combination of the top ranking, their first true road game and a better-than-expected Wolfpack team will end the Orange's undefeated run.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
Re: Andy Katz is a believer!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
whoops, didn't notice someone already posted this.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: ESPN Roundtable Question ... SU First Loss Is To MU On Jan 7
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
Awesome.  It's nice when people that aren't huge fans are as hyped about your team as you are :)

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
As I would like to see us in this game at #2 I don't see it happening. Louisville could also be undefeated at this time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
Love the praise, but don't see how we do it without Chris.   Syracuse is big.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »

I share your concern.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
Let's just say that I am not concerned about our offense versus the zone.  Our lack of height hurts us more on the defensive end.  However, none of Cuse's big guys are offensive threats.  According to Kenpom, their major and significant contributors on offense are all guards: Jardine, Waiters, Triche and Joseph.  Obviously against a smaller lineup, Keita, Melo and Christmas may have improved games, but it's not like they are all of a sudden going to run their offense through the post.  Not saying we go in there and win, but I think we match up pretty well with them, even without Otule.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
I share your concern.

Good thing our coaches (and fans) have plenty of experience being undersized and still winning games. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Let's just say that I am not concerned about our offense versus the zone.  Our lack of height hurts us more on the defensive end.  However, none of Cuse's big guys are offensive threats.  According to Kenpom, their major and significant contributors on offense are all guards: Jardine, Waiters, Triche and Joseph.  Obviously against a smaller lineup, Keita, Melo and Christmas may have improved games, but it's not like they are all of a sudden going to run their offense through the post.  Not saying we go in there and win, but I think we match up pretty well with them, even without Otule.

It's not the offensive threat they provide, it's their ability to control the boards. Otule does a great job at providing rebounds for guys like Crowder by keeping balls alive and keeping the opposing bigs from hitting the boards hard. Gardner isn't quick enough and doesn't yet use his butt well enough to match that kind of boxing out, and Jamil doesn't have the meat.

We could win the game, but we'd have to shoot the lights out because they have great interior defenders to stop the drive and they'll gobble up most of our misses. I'd call this one a loss even with Otule, without him, it'd take a near-perfect game. Not because of the zone, but simply because 'Cuse is at home and that's a tough match-up for anyone in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

Got blasted the other day for writing Cuse would likely beat MU.

Whether you blame it on Otule, the zone, or the Dome, I just don't see an MU win at this point.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Id be shocked if we dont win by 14
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »
And if we go undefeated into that game, will it be #1 against #2?

In response to that...highly unlikely.

Looking at the schedule...

2) Ohio State They may lose, but probably not more than once. The only challenges they'll face are at Indiana and Illinois, the question is will Sullinger be back?
3) Kentucky The only chance they'll lose is against Louisville at home...but it's at home, probably won't lose before Jan. 11.
4) Louisville They should beat Memphis and Georgetown at home, but winning at UK? We could pass them.
5) UNC They don't leave home until Jan. 14, and the only halfway decent team they'll face is Texas. They most likely won't lose.
6) Baylor At BYU on Saturday, neutral site games with St. Mary's and WVU next week, and they play Mississippi State. I think they'll lose 1-3 games before those rankings come out.
7) Duke 3 cupcakes at home, then road games at Temple and Georgia Tech. They might drop one, probably not two.
8) Xavier Long Beach State on a neutral without Lyons, on the road at La Salle...maybe they lose one, but unless there are more suspensions, they shouldn't lose more than that.
9) Connecticut Seton Hall on the road could be tricky, but they really shouldn't lose before then.
10) Missouri They should beat Illinois on a neutral court, Kansas State on the road will be tough, still, I don't think they lose again.

Thanks to a moderately tough schedule that (if we stay undefeated) would include a nationally televised win over a (most likely) ranked Vanderbilt team, we could leapfrog UConn and Missouri despite them not losing. We might even skip past Xavier in the process, especially if they drop one. Baylor and Louisville will both probably drop at least one, but while I think we pass Baylor, UL might not fall far losing at UK. If we remain undefeated, here's my guess at where we would be come the Syracuse week:

1) Syracuse
2) Kentucky (leap OSU after beating UL)
3) Ohio State
4) North Carolina
5/6/7) Louisville/Duke/Marquette

I'd imagine we'd be in that mix. No better than 5, no worse than 7. Again, that's just glancing at the schedule, who knows what happens in the next 3-4 weeks, but most of those teams shouldn't drop.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:27:44 AM »
Really?  I'm just worried about Northern Colorado.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »

Just addressing the original question. I don't think there's any harm in us looking ahead, as long as the players don't do the same. I doubt Buzz will let them think about Syracuse...doesn't mean we can't.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »

Well then don't let the board distract you from your preparation for that contest.