[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Houston to pass Chicago as third largest city in the USA  (Read 7298 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Houston to pass Chicago as third largest city in the USA
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:27:29 PM »
Interesting article in the paper today.  Wil pass by Chicago in 8 to 10 years.  I remember when LA passed Chicago when I was a kid.

http://news.yahoo.com/americas-city-rankings-set-texas-sized-shake-houston-130507316.html

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
Re: Houston to pass Chicago as third largest city in the USA
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »
As a Chicagoan this doesn't surprise me at all with lower cost of living, better weather, and better employment opportunities.

Is Austin still Texas' fastest growing city?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »
I remember when we passed Detroit and Philly on this list. Yes, Detroit was once a top 5 city!

There will be those that note city population vs Metro area (in which Chicago will still lead) ....but then again, ask someone from cowtown Fort Worth how much he considers himself from snooty Dallas. lol . Dallas grabbed Ft Worth to its metro area mainly to compete with arch rival, but bigger Houston.

What is good in this article is the referenced diversity that Houston thrives on:..."Apart from domestic migration, about one in five Houstonians is foreign born and more than 90 languages are spoken in the city...."

It also notes our strange anomoly...No Zoning. We built homes almost everywhere by subdivisions (which enforce their own use/appearance restrictions by HOA's) and commercial development has been along main thoroughfares. Aside from Downtown, and Uptown (Galleria), we have about 8-10 other major office areas. The geographic space of Houston's sprawl is about 70 miles EW and 50 miles NS .
Most come to Houston for a great job, then find a large affordable house in a great neighborhood, located in a good school district (N,NW,W,SW), and enjoy going out to eat in one of the most restaurant crazy towns on earth. To me its just a great place to live.
See:
http://www.businessinsider.com/houston-best-city-in-america-2014-6?op=1

BTW, it may be early, but this is the first of my many Houston promos leading up to the Final Four in H-Town --2016
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:43:21 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
Weather sucks ass doe, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
The handful of times I have been to Houston, I have found it much nicer than I thought it would be.  The week I spent there in July was hellish.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
Weather sucks ass doe, ai na?
Sure does...lol...we suffer through lush subtropical warm weather (70s at night; 80-90s daytime) for about 10 months a year.
Its like a Wisconsin summertime for ten months, and Wisc.'s "October" weather during our "chilly" December-January winter.

The regular rain leaves foliage/lawns very green and lush, but I do need a Mexmow every week.

We have no snow, no Ice, no shovelling, no rust on cars, no winter coats, etc...so I guess on those points,... I miss your weather....NOT!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:04:46 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
OK, I'll move back to Chicago to keep this from happening!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
I remember when we passed Detroit and Philly on this list. Yes, Detroit was once a top 5 city!

There will be those that note city population vs Metro area (in which Chicago will still lead) ....but then again, ask someone from cowtown Fort Worth how much he considers himself from snooty Dallas. lol . Dallas grabbed Ft Worth to its metro area mainly to compete with arch rival, but bigger Houston.

What is good in this article is the referenced diversity that Houston thrives on:..."Apart from domestic migration, about one in five Houstonians is foreign born and more than 90 languages are spoken in the city...."

It also notes our strange anomoly...No Zoning. We built homes almost everywhere by subdivisions (which enforce their own use/appearance restrictions by HOA's) and commercial development has been along main thoroughfares. Aside from Downtown, and Uptown (Galleria), we have about 8-10 other major office areas. The geographic space of Houston's sprawl is about 70 miles EW and 50 miles NS .
Most come to Houston for a great job, then find a large affordable house in a great neighborhood, located in a good school district (N,NW,W,SW), and enjoy going out to eat in one of the most restaurant crazy towns on earth. To me its just a great place to live.
See:
http://www.businessinsider.com/houston-best-city-in-america-2014-6?op=1

BTW, it may be early, but this is the first of my many Houston promos leading up to the Final Four in H-Town --2016

Funny thing is, I doubt that 25% of the country knows Houston is the 4th largest city in this country.  25% might actually be high.

We should have a beer sometime Houston, I get down there a few times a year as my bro-in-law lives in Magnolia.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:02:27 AM »
Funny thing is, I doubt that 25% of the country knows Houston is the 4th largest city in this country.  25% might actually be high.

We should have a beer sometime Houston, I get down there a few times a year as my bro-in-law lives in Magnolia.
These 25% join the same group that actually knows where MU is located, as...
..based on the questions I get...  about 75% of folks would guess Marquette Univ. is located in Michigan. The "smart" ones even guess that its in the UP.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »

I thought Dallas was 4th to he honest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »
There's loads of spots Chicago could take in if the burbs would be interested in joining. Cicero, Berwyn, Burbank, Dillon, robins, Harvey, heck even parts of oak park and Evanston were up for debate years ago. Houston is newer and doesn't need to deal with the same metro problems of expanding that Chicago does. Even if it surpasses it Chicago is still a much greater city and any architecture nerd will agree (yours truly)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »
I thought Dallas was 4th to he honest.

Dallas is the fourth biggest MSA (city proper plus the burbs).  It will be a while before the Houston MSA surpasses the Dallas MSA in population.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
There's loads of spots Chicago could take in if the burbs would be interested in joining. Cicero, Berwyn, Burbank, Dillon, robins, Harvey, heck even parts of oak park and Evanston were up for debate years ago. Houston is newer and doesn't need to deal with the same metro problems of expanding that Chicago does. Even if it surpasses it Chicago is still a much greater city and any architecture nerd will agree (yours truly)

Chicago is what Chicago is.  Houston is what Houston is.  "Much greater city" is simply a subjective opinion and nothing more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »

Does Houston have a back yard?

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
Sure does...lol...we suffer through lush subtropical warm weather (70s at night; 80-90s daytime) for about 10 months a year.
Its like a Wisconsin summertime for ten months, and Wisc.'s "October" weather during our "chilly" December-January winter.

The regular rain leaves foliage/lawns very green and lush, but I do need a Mexmow every week.

We have no snow, no Ice, no shovelling, no rust on cars, no winter coats, etc...so I guess on those points,... I miss your weather....NOT!!

I'll rest more comfortably at night knowing that a storm brewing over Lake Michigan doesn't have the "wrath-of-God" potential that our neighbors along the Gulf coast experience every few years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »
No ice? The last time I was in Houston, the entire city was shut down due to ice.

Also, hate Houston's development. Urban sprawl at it's worst. A city center with four different Napervilles around it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
No ice? The last time I was in Houston, the entire city was shut down due to ice.

Also, hate Houston's development. Urban sprawl at it's worst. A city center with four different Napervilles around it.

Nice point about urban sprawl at its worst. It's density is 3,600/sq mi. That's really spread out in fact that's more spread out than Naperville's 4,000/sq mi.   
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »

I was so disappointed by a visit to Houston for work two years ago.
Disjointed urban sprawl is being kind.  Lack of zoning was bizarre.
The only place I saw air pollution worse than Houston was in China and that includes comparing it to LA & Mexico City.
For a city that size they need to move a little quicker on implementing the mass transit besides the one short rail line.  Took me 50+ minutes to get to Minute Maid Park from the hotel and took me like 12-15 minutes after the game to get back.
And don't get me started on those giant heads of "Great Americans" where the highway enters the city.

I did like the hot Florida-like weather in September.  I always like that.
I also liked Minute Maid Park.  Since the Astros sucked bad in 2013 it was cool to walk up to the gate and spend $20 for ticket, one row from the field that also got me a soda & hot dog with the ticket.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »
I was so disappointed by a visit to Houston for work two years ago.
Disjointed urban sprawl is being kind.  Lack of zoning was bizarre.
The only place I saw air pollution worse than Houston was in China and that includes comparing it to LA & Mexico City.
For a city that size they need to move a little quicker on implementing the mass transit besides the one short rail line.  Took me 50+ minutes to get to Minute Maid Park from the hotel and took me like 12-15 minutes after the game to get back.
And don't get me started on those giant heads of "Great Americans" where the highway enters the city.

I did like the hot Florida-like weather in September.  I always like that.
I also liked Minute Maid Park.  Since the Astros sucked bad in 2013 it was cool to walk up to the gate and spend $20 for ticket, one row from the field that also got me a soda & hot dog with the ticket.
I've never been to Houston but I just don't like cities that are developed this way. They're just a financial downtown with skyscrapers surrounded by miles and miles of generic looking sprawling suburban neighborhoods that are still considered to be in "the city". Urban and dynamic neighborhoods are to me what give a city it's character. Give me a real urban city like NY, Boston, or Chicago over Places like Houston, Phoenix, and Dallas all day.

This being said I really hope to be in Houston this spring for some BBQ and a Marquette national championship

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
I've never been to Houston but I just don't like cities that are developed this way. They're just a financial downtown with skyscrapers surrounded by miles and miles of generic looking sprawling suburban neighborhoods that are still considered to be in "the city". Urban and dynamic neighborhoods are to me what give a city it's character. Give me a real urban city like NY, Boston, or Chicago over Places like Houston, Phoenix, and Dallas all day.

This being said I really hope to be in Houston this spring for some BBQ and a Marquette national championship

Keep in mind the "cities" you cited are ones that were established well before Henry Ford was cranking his wares off the line en masse.  Places like Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas (and the like) are still teenagers, relatively speaking, which means they were all developed from the pretext that every household had an automobile.

In other words, urban sprawl wasn't a choice for these cities, it was a response.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
Keep in mind the "cities" you cited are ones that were established well before Henry Ford was cranking his wares off the line en masse.  Places like Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas (and the like) are still teenagers, relatively speaking, which means they were all developed from the pretext that every household had an automobile.

In other words, urban sprawl wasn't a choice for these cities, it was a response.
Of course, bostons current city streets were the results of cow paths way back in the day. All cities are the way they are for all kinds of different reasons. I just strongly prefer the real urban ones. Henry ford changed the way we live drastically. As did Eisenhower by developing our interstate highway system. For better or for worse, it just depends on who you ask

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
Of course, bostons current city streets were the results of cow paths way back in the day. All cities are the way they are for all kinds of different reasons. I just strongly prefer the real urban ones. Henry ford changed the way we live drastically. As did Eisenhower by developing our interstate highway system. For better or for worse, it just depends on who you ask

Makes you really appreciate what Burnham did. I can name every major east west street from Howard all the way to downtown. Really an incredible layout and grid.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Makes you really appreciate what Burnham did. I can name every major east west street from Howard all the way to downtown. Really an incredible layout and grid.
Chicago is unique because they essentially got a mulligan. The city developed at an extreme rate in the 19th century then obviously burnt down and they got to see what was the best way to develop an American city by learning from their own mistakes and by looking at what did and didn't work for other American cities in regards to development.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »
Chicago is unique because they essentially got a mulligan. The city developed at an extreme rate in the 19th century then obviously burnt down and they got to see what was the best way to develop an American city by learning from their own mistakes and by looking at what did and didn't work for other American cities in regards to development.

I don't know... burning down Houston seems a bit drastic.  Not to mention, you know, the logistics of having to do so with all that urban sprawl and stuff.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »

Burnham yes but the others too, Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Adler and more. All these "teenager cities" are just cookie cutters. It's like putting any barrington or naperville subdivision around a city center. And even the sky scrappers have no character to them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback