[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Very nice, but where is.....  (Read 1928 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Very nice, but where is.....
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:13:14 AM »
the "D"?

Before the naysayer calls start, let me state uncategorically that I think the admin made the right hire, and a good hire, and I'm in Buzz's corner.

And, it's nice to be averaging 90+ per game.

And, I understand that a faster style of play will result in more scoring chances for the opposition.

And, I know that the game is played somewhat differently from the "Al" years.

But, I don't think the fundamentals have changed.

No less an authority than Al himself, when speaking about offense said, "sometimes the hoop is a rain barrel and other times it's a thimble, but good defense can be played consistently every night and it will keep you in every game."

Maybe we are just giving the team a chance to pad it's stats and maybe Buzz feels that we need some extra confidence on "O" so we are concentrating on that part of the game in the preseason.  but, against higher quality opponents, we better be able to keep it up or we're gonna' wish we could play shut down defense as well as pour it in the hoop.

Go Warriors!

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: Very nice, but where is.....
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »

Maybe we are just giving the team a chance to pad it's stats and maybe Buzz feels that we need some extra confidence on "O" so we are concentrating on that part of the game in the preseason.  but, against higher quality opponents, we better be able to keep it up or we're gonna' wish we could play shut down defense as well as pour it in the hoop.

From what I read, it seems that defense has been the major emphasis of the preseason practice sessions so far.  But, I agree that we need to improve the D against higher quality opponents. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »
I think the injuries to Otule and Fulce are the prime reason for the worse looking D. These were probably 2 of our top reserves off the bench. So the team can't be nearly as aggressive becausewe don't have the depth if there is foul trouble, and they get more tired faster. The teams we have played have hit a lot of threes on us which kind of worries me, but I just eep hoping that it is us being slow on he rotations because they are a little tired. We'll see what happens when they play WI and Tenn to see if they step up the D there, but I think come big east season we will be fine if everyone is healthy.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »
I think its the fouls.  We foul a ton and put teams on the line.  The FG% for opposing teams thus far is fine.  They are just putting the other team on the line twenty-plus times a game.

I really do think the tempo also is a factor.  Buzz really has us playing fast.  And I like it.  Its obvious our strength is getting our fast break.  A ton of fun to watch.  That Tennessee game should be interesting.  I think we will both break 100.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com