Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which meme is better

We'll never forget you, Bazz
84 (39.6%)
Catholic 7
128 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Voting closed: April 24, 2014, 08:18:35 AM

Author Topic: Meme Tournament play-in game 1  (Read 2991 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Meme Tournament play-in game 1
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
We'll never forget you, Bazz
A play off the Wisconsin favorite dismissal of Brett Favre and Bret Beliama (We won't forget you Bart, We won't forget you Bert).  This popped up in the wake of Buzz Williams departure in conjunction with a somewhat unflattering picture.  This meme even trended on twitter for a short time

Catholic 7
Gather around kids, once upon a time there were things such as conferences where rivalry and loyalty mattered, but then came the concept of conference realignment(also known as the giant money grab).  In 2012, the conference realignment forced by football money impacted Marquette with the disbandment of the Big East as it was at the time(Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville leaving), forcing some decisions to be made.  As the initial dust started to settle, it became apparent that one path to survival was to form a basketball only league with the 7 basketball only schools remaining in the Big East.  These 7 schools also happened to be private Catholic schools.  So Catholic 7 became a meme when referring to this core group sailing the basketball ship on the conference realignment sea.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:43:18 AM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
Re: Meme Tournament play-in game 1
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
It seems innocuous, but the joke was "We'll never forget you, Bazz" not "Thanks for everything, Bazz."  The former combines elements of parody, locational humor and double entendre (when paired with the picture of Brent looking like he just got fish-hooked), whereas the latter is simply sophomoric name calling... and we're way above that here at Scoop.

It may be immaterial in the grander scheme, but I've got to show some ownership in my team here.  Only now do I truly know how Al felt when Adolph was unduly influencing the selection committee with a undeserving negative bias against MU.

That's it.... I'm officially withdrawing my meme from the Meme Tournament and going to the Meme NIT.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
It seems innocuous, but the joke was "We'll never forget you, Bazz" not "Thanks for everything, Bazz."  The former combines elements of parody, locational humor and double entendre (when paired with the picture of Brent looking like he just got fish-hooked), whereas the latter is simply sophomoric name calling... and we're way above that here at Scoop.

It may be immaterial in the grander scheme, but I've got to show some ownership in my team here.  Only now do I truly know how Al felt when Adolph was unduly influencing the selection committee with a undeserving negative bias against MU.

That's it.... I'm officially withdrawing my meme from the Meme Tournament and going to the Meme NIT.

well if you want to be a little nancy boy about it   ;D

And you are completely right on the context and meme....I screwed up like 37 times, what do you want from me I'm only human!!!

You could go fix it in the wiki...hint....hint....hint

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/muscoop_memes
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
Suggestion, could we put this in a special place, so they dont all get lost in the main forum?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
Suggestion, could we put this in a special place, so they dont all get lost in the main forum?

It's a good idea, I'm checking with the powers that be how to do that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
I'm checking with the powers that be

Navy

Have you forgotten the Fighter Pilot Maxim: "Better to ask forgiveness than beg permission!"

Make it happen!

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
Navy

Have you forgotten the Fighter Pilot Maxim: "Better to ask forgiveness than beg permission!"

Make it happen!

Done and done.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Death on call

feedback