[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's talk strategy today  (Read 2915 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Let's talk strategy today
« on: February 08, 2022, 11:37:23 AM »
Cole is the head of the snake but not a particularly good percentage shooter.  Martin is the guy that we can't allow to go off and obviously we must keep them off the defensive glass.  If Sanogo scores inside I think we can live with that but we can't allow them multiple chances and a big advantage at the FT line.

Having watched UCONN, Cole is the only player they have that can truly make things happen off the bounce.  Force him right and keep him out of the paint.  He is a streaky shooter and much less effective hard right (both scoring and passing) from my observations.  The question is do we put O-Max on Cole or Martin? 

Whether the so called "experts" like it or not, Marquette has prime-time versatility on both ends of the floor.  When the Warriors are on their game the precision, poise, cohesion, excitement, anticipation, and Medievability to shred teams from all spaces and angles, remains a strength very few teams can match. 

The greatest attribute a team or a player can have in any sport is consistency.   This is where we continue to improve 1-12 and its a beautiful thing to witness.  It starts defensively and building an identity, kudos to Shaka.  I know even greater things are on the horizon for MU but we are fully capable of usurping our opportunity THIS YEAR.  A solid game will get it done tonight and these guys should be confident, loose, and ready to take care of business.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:58:46 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Let's talk strategy today
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »
If the ‘Quette score more points than the ‘on, they should win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
Rebounding and us establishing  an inside game from the jump (which will open threes) are a couple of keys.    Go Marquette!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 12:01:09 PM »
Posted this another thread:

I think the strategy here is to put O-Max on Cole, use his length to bother Cole into bad shots. Put Morsell on Martin. He's strong enough the Martin won't be able to bully him and he should be able to limit Martin pretty well. Kolek will need to handle Andre Jackson which could be a challenge given Jackson superior strength and athleticism, but if he beats you so be it.

I think maybe we see Lewis try to cover Sanogo. Lewis stronger than Kur/Oso and it frees Kur/Oso for the block from the help side if Sanogo tries to back Lewis down. Biggest concern with that strategy is Lewis being word down on defense and not being effective on offense or picking up cheap fouls. Key to tonight is not letting Sanogo get 3 or 4 shots a trip.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 12:18:18 PM »
Posted this another thread:

I think the strategy here is to put O-Max on Cole, use his length to bother Cole into bad shots. Put Morsell on Martin. He's strong enough the Martin won't be able to bully him and he should be able to limit Martin pretty well. Kolek will need to handle Andre Jackson which could be a challenge given Jackson superior strength and athleticism, but if he beats you so be it.

I think maybe we see Lewis try to cover Sanogo. Lewis stronger than Kur/Oso and it frees Kur/Oso for the block from the help side if Sanogo tries to back Lewis down. Biggest concern with that strategy is Lewis being word down on defense and not being effective on offense or picking up cheap fouls. Key to tonight is not letting Sanogo get 3 or 4 shots a trip.

I think you're gonna need Lewis on Whaley or Jackson. I could see it starting as Kolek-Cole, Morsell-Martin, O-max-Jackson with lewis on Whaley and Kur on Sanogo. But it does feel like a waste of O-max's defense. Kolek gives  up a lot of height and speed to Jackson. Lots of help to keep Cole frustrated in the lane/midrange while keeping Sanogo sealed.

It's a weird lineup to face for our personnel. Can see the switch of kolek to someone else if Cole gets hot (likely O-Max). It's really just about limiting Sanogo early and ideally getting a few quick fouls on him
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 12:20:25 PM »
Foul trouble is wishful thinking.

I think we average like 4 fouls drawn a half(pre intentional foul time late in games), better hope Sanogo is getting all of them
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 12:46:46 PM »
Foul trouble is wishful thinking.

I think we average like 4 fouls drawn a half(pre intentional foul time late in games), better hope Sanogo is getting all of them

How would you use our bigs?  I know you hate that telegraph lob pass.  But when they roll and are wide open it's a nice little feather in our caps.  I recall several throw downs that home game vs Providence.  I'd like to see Morsell get off early btw and I'm hoping GE breaks out.  I honestly think we're better.  Especially if Kolek plays well.  We don't look when TK is on his game and sees a few shots drained.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 12:48:06 PM »
Which Hurley brother is more annoying?  I used to think this was an easy question.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »
Make shots, rebound on defense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
How would you use our bigs?  I know you hate that telegraph lob pass.  But when they roll and are wide open it's a nice little feather in our caps.  I recall several throw downs that home game vs Providence.  I'd like to see Morsell get off early btw and I'm hoping GE breaks out.  I honestly think we're better.  Especially if Kolek plays well.  We don't look when TK is on his game and sees a few shots drained.

The lob is good if its a true ally oop type attempt. Anything to Kur in traffic whether a lob or definitely a bounce pass is death.

Off the pick and roll open those plays are great.

We need Greg to hit a few bad tonight.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 12:57:23 PM »
The lob is good if its a true ally oop type attempt. Anything to Kur in traffic whether a lob or definitely a bounce pass is death.

Off the pick and roll open those plays are great.

We need Greg to hit a few bad tonight.

Greg, Omax, and Kolek hitting a few will go a long way.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
Which Hurley brother is more annoying?  I used to think this was an easy question.

Joey.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:03 PM »
The one on 'Lost'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU_B

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:12 PM »
Violence.
Willfully misinformed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »
I think you're gonna need Lewis on Whaley or Jackson. I could see it starting as Kolek-Cole, Morsell-Martin, O-max-Jackson with lewis on Whaley and Kur on Sanogo. But it does feel like a waste of O-max's defense. Kolek gives  up a lot of height and speed to Jackson. Lots of help to keep Cole frustrated in the lane/midrange while keeping Sanogo sealed.

It's a weird lineup to face for our personnel. Can see the switch of kolek to someone else if Cole gets hot (likely O-Max). It's really just about limiting Sanogo early and ideally getting a few quick fouls on him

My thought is that if Cole is shut down, the rest of the Huskies get worse, that's why I want O-Max or Morsell on him (and I think O-Max's length would be more effective here). Kolek's not a bad defender by any stretch, but he's not a take the opponent's best player out of the game defender. I think you exchange the mismatch between Jackson and Kolek for O-Max disrupting the whole offense by making Cole's life difficult.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
UConn crashed quite a few players on the O boards last time. Would be nice if we could setup some quick transitions on them. Not too much since as Shaka has said everyone must rebound on defensive end.

I just think we need to make the other team pay some more with 4+ players crashing the off boards.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 01:25:44 PM »
Martin proceeded to score six straight when OMax sat with 3 minutes left in the first game.

Gonna need the guards to keep chipping in on the glass like they did Wednesday.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 01:25:49 PM »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »
UConn crashed quite a few players on the O boards last time. Would be nice if we could setup some quick transitions on them. Not too much since as Shaka has said everyone must rebound on defensive end.

I just think we need to make the other team pay some more with 4+ players crashing the off boards.

The article on Anonymous Eagle about the game mentioned that UCONN hit on 61% of shots (22/36) inside the arc. I wonder how many were second chance.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
My thought is that if Cole is shut down, the rest of the Huskies get worse, that's why I want O-Max or Morsell on him (and I think O-Max's length would be more effective here). Kolek's not a bad defender by any stretch, but he's not a take the opponent's best player out of the game defender. I think you exchange the mismatch between Jackson and Kolek for O-Max disrupting the whole offense by making Cole's life difficult.

I'm now aligned with you on this. The more I thought about it the more I agree that eliminating Cole and Martin is your best chance of success(based on your comment about Jackson getting his in teh other thread). Agreed that you try to make option 4 on the floor beat you over their top 3. Stevie would allow some good switches on D when Kolek is out. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 01:33:44 PM »

This is what I was thinking.  Somewhat quietly O-Max's overall game has really elevated our play.  Those were two prime-time leffty finishes by the young man vs Nova.  Let's not settle for long J's early.  Get high percentage looks and don't be afraid to attack.  Use the shot fake vs Sanogo.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 01:48:35 PM »
The article on Anonymous Eagle about the game mentioned that UCONN hit on 61% of shots (22/36) inside the arc. I wonder how many were second chance.

It looks like UCONN only had six offensive boards in the first game, which would make that one of Marquette's better efforts in the BE season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/gomarquette.com/stats/mbball/2021/pdf/20211221104139-1983564.pdf

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 01:54:40 PM »
It looks like UCONN only had six offensive boards in the first game, which would make that one of Marquette's better efforts in the BE season.

Given the way they crashed so many players on them I do not expect a repeat.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 01:55:05 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
Pray. Keep their 2fg% within reason.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 01:57:22 PM »
OMax has the length but doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of Cole.  I think it will be Morsell primarily and look to see Stevie get a crack at him too.

Keep OMax on Martin.

And for the love of all things holy, rebound the basketball.  If we can keep them under 35% OReb% we might have a shot.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 02:14:44 PM »

And for the love of all things holy, rebound the basketball.  If we can keep them under 35% OReb% we might have a shot.

All about their 2fg%

MU when opponents have a 40%+ OR% = 4-0. (Home games.. Prov, I’ll, DePaul, Hall).

MU when opponents have an OR% of less than 22%: 3-3. Including UConn.

All about def 2fg%

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 02:23:41 PM »
Pray. Keep their 2fg% within reason.

Not a big fan of this matchup, but Uconn's 2P FG% has been poor this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 02:36:40 PM »
Not a big fan of this matchup, but Uconn's 2P FG% has been poor this year.

Yep, but their second best outing this year was against us. They will get boards, but if we muffle them 2fg% we’ll be fine unless they take (rare) and make (rare) a lot of 3’s.

UCONN 1-4 when shooting under 44% 2fg%, and they’ve lost those in various ways.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 03:56:03 PM »
Fairly late in the last meeting, Hurley decided to take the ball out of Lewis' hands and make somebody else beat them. Will be interesting if he goes right away with that strategy this time or if he only employs it if Lewis is killing them again.

The three things that really hurt last time: Lewis getting doubled late and nobody else being able to step up; Martin going off late; Kuath missing a dunk that would have tied it with 3 1/2 minutes to go.

Both teams will be quite different than in that first game, though. We'll have Morsell back and we're simply a MUCH better team now than we were then. And UConn will have Sanogo at full-strength. Last time, he was in his first game back after missing close to a month, only played 12 minutes, and was clearly not in game shape. They were better when he wasn't on the floor -- that almost surely won't be the case this time.

Can't wait! We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
Guess signs of good coaches.  If we loved them, they would probably be loser coaches.