'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 01:45:25 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Know it's early-- I know  (Read 5125 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
I Know it's early-- I know
« on: February 05, 2022, 07:27:31 PM »
I know it will be tough for MU to beat UConn on the road Tuesday night. We know UConn and Xavier lost today. Six top 25 teams lost today already.  OBviously, MU beating UConn would be a big deal. And then the schedule is fairly soft. Can MU run the table before the BE tournament? Appreciate your thoughts. That will keep you kids busy for awhile. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: I Know it's early-- I know
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »
I know it will be tough for MU to beat UConn on the road Tuesday night. We know UConn and Xavier lost today. Six top 25 teams lost today already.  OBviously, MU beating UConn would be a big deal. And then the schedule is fairly soft. Can MU run the table before the BE tournament? Appreciate your thoughts. That will keep you kids busy for awhile.

Yes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
This is probably PTSD from the past 7 years but I am worried about a DePaul or Butler road loss.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »
Buzz lost to DePaul, too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 08:49:20 PM »
Aw common! When Uncle Rico joined me we were 2-0. And now some doubters creep in? Shame on you guys. Let's make it unanimous for once. Leave no doubt where we stand and what we believe. We are what?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »
Aw common! When Uncle Rico joined me we were 2-0. And now some doubters creep in? Shame on you guys. Let's make it unanimous for once. Leave no doubt where we stand and what we believe. We are what?

Anything is possible and I’m fine being wrong about Marquette and cheering for them to be successful and win a lot.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
The force of the Cult of Low Expectations is strong. 

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 10:15:44 PM »

Why not?

The BE is filled with decent, but not great teams.  There are maybe 10 REALLY good teams that would destroy MU.  Watched Duke today and MU would be lucky to stay within single digits.

But they can beat any of the BE teams.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 10:21:13 PM »
Why not?

The BE Big Ten is filled with decent, but not great teams.  There are maybe 10 REALLY good teams that would destroy MU Wisconsin.  Watched Duke today and MU UW would be lucky to stay within single digits.

But they can beat any of the BE Big Ten teams...except maybe Penn State.

Fixed
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:23:17 PM by Elonsmusk »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 10:26:53 PM »
Watched some of the Badger game today. PSU 9 points with 8 minutes left in first half.
Teams were a combined 12-59 at one point.
Conference is overrated once again.
One natty since the 80’s.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:39:02 AM by We R Final Four »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 10:28:44 PM »
Watched some of the Badger game today. PSU 9 points with 8 minutes left in first half.

Are you talking about football or basketball?

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 12:35:57 AM »
Hey kid - you misspelled buckyville.

Why not?

The BE is filled with decent, but not great teams.  There are maybe 10 REALLY good teams that would destroy MU.  Watched Duke today and MU would be lucky to stay within single digits.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 06:36:41 AM »
Why not?

I love this guy.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 07:06:28 AM »
Teams were a combined 12-59 at one point.

They did say Penn State’s plane landed two hours before the game. Ugly first half and then they almost pulled off the road upset.

Agree that conference is overrated.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 07:48:43 AM »

A friend of mine is a UCONN alum who has always had very good insight into his team as well as basketball in general. He emailed me yesterday with comments after the Nova loss. Some samples: "Hurley...good recruiter but not good on the court: lost the battle inside the paint; all the BE coaches have figured out how to play Sanogo; UCONN may be the great pretender; a mid BE team; maybe a 9 seed". And that's coming from a serious UCONN fan!

He's proven to be pretty accurate in the past. As other Scoopers have said, we really do not have an answer for Sanogo and despite the loss to Nova, he scored 14 points-all in the second half- but got only 2 rebounds in his 27 minutes. I kept switching channels but I see that he had four fouls (not sure when he got them). Draw some fouls on him early and often and I think we are in good shape. If Sanogo has a really good game, things may not end well for Marquette.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:52:45 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 08:56:43 AM »
UCONN will be very hungry, maybe desperate, for a win and at home. This maybe our most impressive win if we do win. A loss is not a big deal for MU so I won't be disappointed or surprised if we take an L in this game. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
A friend of mine is a UCONN alum who has always had very good insight into his team as well as basketball in general. He emailed me yesterday with comments after the Nova loss. Some samples: "Hurley...good recruiter but not good on the court: lost the battle inside the paint; all the BE coaches have figured out how to play Sanogo; UCONN may be the great pretender; a mid BE team; maybe a 9 seed". And that's coming from a serious UCONN fan!

He's proven to be pretty accurate in the past. As other Scoopers have said, we really do not have an answer for Sanogo and despite the loss to Nova, he scored 14 points-all in the second half- but got only 2 rebounds in his 27 minutes. I kept switching channels but I see that he had four fouls (not sure when he got them). Draw some fouls on him early and often and I think we are in good shape. If Sanogo has a really good game, things may not end well for Marquette.

He had 2 fouls in the first 4 minutes of the game. HIm and WHaley
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
He had 2 fouls in the first 4 minutes of the game. HIm and WHaley

Thanks for the info. I suspected something along those lines with zero points in the first half.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »
I don't make predictions but winning out is obviously very difficult and we don't get UCONN under the best of circumstances.  They will be desperate for a win.  We also saw last night that anything can happen with DePaul punking X and ASU beating UCLA.  We are certainly capable of beating every team we face from here on out, in fact I think we are the best team in our league, but it's important to take things one game at a time and focus on each task at hand.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
Why not?

Do you watch college basketball? That is a pretty silly comment if you do.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 12:32:18 PM »
I don't make predictions but winning out is obviously very difficult and we don't get UCONN under the best of circumstances.  They will be desperate for a win.  We also saw last night that anything can happen with DePaul punking X and ASU beating UCLA.  We are certainly capable of beating every team we face from here on out, in fact I think we are the best team in our league, but it's important to take things one game at a time and focus on each task at hand.

How are we not getting UConn in good circumstances? We're playing well and their offense looks like it has no identity. I don't buy the "hungry for a win" concept as some sort of mana from heaven that will imbue them with an NBA Jam cheat code
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 12:38:43 PM »
We are David.

We go out every night with a slingshot and a desire to slay Goliath.

Usually Goliath falls. Sometimes we run for our lives.

Nonetheless, what makes this team special is they believe they are going to win every night out.

Goliath goes down again this week!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
Why not?

What does that say about the Big 10 and Big XII?

You do realize the ACC is the 6th rated conference? Duke is like Gonzaga in the WCC.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 02:21:47 PM »
UCONN will be very hungry, maybe desperate, for a win and at home. This maybe our most impressive win if we do win. A loss is not a big deal for MU so I won't be disappointed or surprised if we take an L in this game.

We won at Finneran, where opposing teams hardly ever win, and Nova was ranked No. 11. So beating a less-accomplished UConn team in an easier place to win would not be our most impressive victory.

Our guys should want payback for a home loss earlier in the season, and should be motivated by -- even desperate for -- the chance to move up in the standings/seeding.

But it is fun to get to debate the quality-degree of our victories.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »

But the reason they are desperate for a win is because they've been losing because they're not playing very well lately! That's a great time to run into them!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 08:03:04 PM »
But the reason they are desperate for a win is because they've been losing because they're not playing very well lately! That's a great time to run into them!

+1. Picking tops or bottoms for teams is difficult. I’d much rather play a slumping one than one who’s hot.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 08:10:45 PM »
+1. Picking tops or bottoms for teams is difficult. I’d much rather play a slumping one than one who’s hot.

Fair enough.  Would you put O-Max on Cole or Martin?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »

This.

The "desperate team" angle is overrated.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
This.

The "desperate team" angle is overrated.

Agreed. Playing a desperate team was something that I worried about in the Wojo years and even into this season. However, so far this year we've beaten SHU coming off of a disappointing loss twice (DePaul, SJU), beat Xavier after a huge scare against DePaul, and beat Nova in a revenge game.

UCONN will be favored by 4 to 6 tomorrow and definitely can beat us, but it won't be because they are coming off a loss.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 10:28:59 PM »
Agreed. Playing a desperate team was something that I worried about in the Wojo years and even into this season. However, so far this year we've beaten SHU coming off of a disappointing loss twice (DePaul, SJU), beat Xavier after a huge scare against DePaul, and beat Nova in a revenge game.

UCONN will be favored by 4 to 6 tomorrow and definitely can beat us, but it won't be because they are coming off a loss.

It doesn't matter who the coach is. It's simply an overrated concept.

Heck, sometimes the "desperate" team plays too tight and it only makes things worse for them. Over the years, all of us have seen a bazillion teams that "were desperate and had to win" but they lose anyway, often to teams they're supposedly better than.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 06:30:06 AM »
Yep, what happens more is teams simply recalibrate after a couple losses, refocus, “get back to the basics”, etc. and start playing better team basketball.  Hopefully UConn hasn’t done any of that and the wheels come off.

The alternative is we are just simply a better team and our best will beat their best regardless.  Would be great to just beat them while they are playing their best and really throw them into a tail spin.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 07:22:52 AM »
Yep, what happens more is teams simply recalibrate after a couple losses, refocus, “get back to the basics”, etc. and start playing better team basketball. 

I don't think we have any reason to believe it's true that it happens "more" that they start playing better, or even that refocusing is a real thing.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 07:33:27 AM »
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned a friend of mine who is a UCONN alum and serious fan being down on Hurley. Husky_U on holyland seems to be sour on Hurley also and not sympathetic with Hurley's complaint about fans not filling the arena.

Re: (3) Tuesday Big East Games 2/8/22
Postby Husky_U » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:44 pm

Again, that line is very generous. As far as the Hurley comment is concerned... That's more of a shot at the XL Center than anything else. He's been whining about playing in Hartford since he took the job. And don't coach like you did vs Creighton if you want more fans.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:37:46 AM by Scoop Snoop »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 07:37:14 AM »
I don't think we have any reason to believe it's true that it happens "more" that they start playing better, or even that refocusing is a real thing.

Sure, start playing better.  Whatever it is that helps them do that mentally or physically.  Doesn’t really matter how you say it.