[Today at 04:54:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: bush league Fans  (Read 13652 times)

Shark

• All American
Re: bush league Fans
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2022, 10:17:07 PM »
Wow...talk about timing with our 2 comments on 18-22 year old kids...haha

For real. But to add on to my point...there is honestly nothing worse than a game with little to no students where all you hear are the sweater vests nervous murmuring. That crap sucks. Give me vulgar students 10 times out of 10.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2022, 10:21:44 PM »
Do you have a reference to that to cite?  I hear that  we're copying the rodents all the time.
Marquette was 100% using Jump Around for years before UW started using it.  Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t get out much.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2022, 10:27:40 PM »
Not wanting to hear the students continually yelling a vulgar chant doesn’t  make one a prude. A person can use profanity sometimes personally and still not want to hear it chanted during sports events. And what other teams’ fans do is irrelevant, what is this, a race to the bottom?
I’m disappointed. I think we can be more creative and do better.

No, not wanting to hear a vulgar chant doesn't make one a prude.
But calling it "blood lust," suggesting it has some real world implications, and hopping aboard your high horse to say "Shame on you" makes one a total prude.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2022, 10:28:30 PM »
I know plenty of college students who don’t drop the f bomb at every opportunity. I’ve been going to games for fifty years, and somehow managed to cheer top ten teams as a student without resorting to f bombs. The lowering of standards for public behavior is really disheartening.

And not that it’s anyone’s business, but I spent a career where crass language was quite common - I realized at some point that I didn’t need to let that bleed into the other parts of my life.
But yet again so many people here only see black-and-white - wishing they didn’t  do it brings sneers.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2022, 10:51:20 PM »
I didn't like the chant, but not for the reasons listed here. May be a personal thing, but I feel like an "F you *insert school/player/coach*" should be reserved for a true rival, a team that you have earned the right to hate. When the students "F the badgers" I love it. When I was a student the "F the Irish" chants were great.

We haven't earned the right to hate Nova yet. They have straight up dominated us (and everyone else in conference) for damn near a decade. They are not our rivals, they are our superiors at this point. The F you chant yesterday felt amateurish and petty to me (but I'm not clutching my pearls over it either). Now if Shaka does lead us to the promised land and we are regularly competing with the Wildcats for the Big East crown....the hate will come, a rivalry will be born and then by all means, let the F bombs fly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2022, 11:22:50 PM »
I remember coming straight from Sunday School to the Wake Forest game in 03 and a packed student section up to the rafters was chanting “F Wake Forest” an hour before the game. I thought it was cool especially since they were just a random non-conference opponent that was somehow on the schedule in February.

As far as the Nova chant goes, doesn’t this thread get posted every year? The students always say that from what I recall. I cringe a little bit when I hear it since Nova is in no way shape or form a rival currently, but I’d rather have students engaged and actually at the game rather than the alternative (GeorgetownVsStJohns.jpg).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2022, 12:14:09 AM »
I didn't like the chant, but not for the reasons listed here. May be a personal thing, but I feel like an "F you *insert school/player/coach*" should be reserved for a true rival, a team that you have earned the right to hate. When the students "F the badgers" I love it. When I was a student the "F the Irish" chants were great.

We haven't earned the right to hate Nova yet. They have straight up dominated us (and everyone else in conference) for damn near a decade. They are not our rivals, they are our superiors at this point. The F you chant yesterday felt amateurish and petty to me (but I'm not clutching my pearls over it either). Now if Shaka does lead us to the promised land and we are regularly competing with the Wildcats for the Big East crown....the hate will come, a rivalry will be born and then by all means, let the F bombs fly.

This!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2022, 04:02:14 AM »
TAMU

We might have become rivals to Nova in the past month. That said, I agree on the Badgers and Irish getting their F You’s from the students and it does not bother me.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2022, 04:39:54 AM »
I reserve….”and your mother too”, for the Irish.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2022, 05:17:26 AM »
Mother is only half a word for Kevin O'Neill.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2022, 05:59:13 AM »
I remember coming straight from Sunday School to the Wake Forest game in 03 and a packed student section up to the rafters was chanting “F Wake Forest” an hour before the game. I thought it was cool especially since they were just a random non-conference opponent that was somehow on the schedule in February.

As far as the Nova chant goes, doesn’t this thread get posted every year? The students always say that from what I recall. I cringe a little bit when I hear it since Nova is in no way shape or form a rival currently, but I’d rather have students engaged and actually at the game rather than the alternative (GeorgetownVsStJohns.jpg).

As a student at that game (and probably joining in the chant) it was the return leg of a home and home that made a nice little mini-rivalry centered around D-wade and Josh Howard. We had lost a tough one at their place in 2001-2002 (at that game too) where we were down by like 20 but we pulled it to within 2 late but Tom Crean inexplicably kept Cordell Henry off the court at the end  (IMO lost us the game). Plus, they played pretty dirty on Wade down there - knocking him around quite a bit.

They were ranked when they came up too so it was a pretty important game - I think it was our best non-con win that year - and probably went a good way into getting and keeping us on the 3 line after losing to UAB in the first round of the CUSAT. Probably our second most important regular season game that year after @Louisville.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2022, 06:02:37 AM »
So (in your not so humble opinion, anyway) you’re not so limited that you have to talk that way - but you choose to anyway. Sad.

Talk what way? F*ck is an awesome word. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2022, 06:13:02 AM »
I remember singing this at the Milwaukee Arena in the 70s as AL was wrapping up another victory over Digger:

I'm an a**hole
I'm an a**hole
I'm an a-a-a**hole
But just the same
I'd rather be an a**hole
than to go to Notre Dame
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2022, 06:15:41 AM »
I was at the MU Villanova game last night.  A very impressive win against a solid Nova team.  What was way less impressive was the conduct of the student section offering a F..... Nova and later an F....Jay Wright chant.  Very disappointing.  Jay Wright is humble in victory and gracious in defeat.  The vulgar display by MU students is not appropriate for any university let alone a Catholic one.  Shame on you

I'm guessing there are very few if any students that use this board.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2022, 06:30:30 AM »
I remember when UW-Madison invented football and basketball in the same year. It was a few years after they discovered gravity and that the earth was round.

Gravity and the earth being round was discovered in the 1990’s?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2022, 06:31:31 AM »
I prefer Busch league
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2022, 06:34:45 AM »
I remember singing this at the Milwaukee Arena in the 70s as AL was wrapping up another victory over Digger:

I'm an a**hole
I'm an a**hole
I'm an a-a-a**hole
But just the same
I'd rather be an a**hole
than to go to Notre Dame

Right.  I mean, it's not great.  But it's been happening for years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2022, 07:05:05 AM »
College sports isn't fun without a little bit of rivalry and disdain. That's why beating Wisconsin is sweeter than beating DePaul. No one walks away from a stadium saying, "Man, those fans really were respectful and exhibited good sportsmanship throughout the game," because that doesn't add to the experience. But people will notice if the building is rocking and the crowd is fired up. If that comes with some sophomoric humor, all the better in my humble opinion.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2022, 07:09:13 AM »
Vegas

I was a big fan of the ND song you noted. It really was fun to hate ND.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2022, 07:20:46 AM »
Gravity and the earth being round was discovered in the 1990’s?

ThAtS tHe JoKe  ::)

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »
I think we need one of these for Scoop

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KY0ztZQJ5p4

LON

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2022, 07:25:39 AM »
F*ck Creighton and their fans while we’re at it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
Talk what way? F*ck is an awesome word.

If used sparingly it can be. When used casually it’s just lazy.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2022, 08:00:45 AM »
If used sparingly it can be. When used casually it’s just lazy.

Well no kidding. I’m not concerned about being a great orator when having casual conversation.

Very odd criticism.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2022, 08:05:53 AM »
I was going to suggest they could just chant, "Let's Go Nova!" but then I realized that wouldn't work very well.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.