[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Don't Need Five Years To Judge, I Was Wrong About Shaka  (Read 3430 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: I Don't Need Five Years To Judge, I Was Wrong About Shaka
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Modern basketball.  Where the midrange is gone, until it isn't.  That's where NBA titles are often won.  Kawhi, KD, Middleton.  Everyone knows at the rim and 3 pointers are the efficient shots  Which means everyone is also trying to take those shots away.  So having guys who can make what defenses are trying to make you take (mid range) is very valuable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 03:12:40 PM »
Agreed BLM.  Derozan on the Bulls is almost automatic with an elbow jumper.  And they can’t stop him from getting to that part of the floor.  Last night Morsell reminded me of Derozan during that second half stretch.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
When Shaka was hired, I looked at his Texas record and saw a middling B12 team.  They had their moments (winning the B12 Tourney) but also their disappointments.  So I was not against hiring him, I was worried he was not an upgrade to Wojo or a marginal upgrade at best. So, did the program actually improve, I said out loud on this board?

I was wrong, he is a major upgrade, I do not have to wait another 4 1/2 years to make this statement.

Never been happier to be wrong ...

I base this on more than the record to date, although that is a big part of it.  So, even if the team bombs out at the end of the season like MU did at the end of 2019, I will still believe he is a major upgrade.

--------------------------------------

For a team preseason that was predicted to finish 9th in the Big East and I would have been happy with a .500 record ...

MU .... NET 25, KenPom, 26, AP 24

SoS currently #8 in the country, can be in the top 3 at the end of the season

MU's Quad 1 record is 7-5, this ties them for the most Quad 1 wins in the country, and having played 12 Quad 1 games, this is more than any team in the top 30 (as far down as I looked).  MU has another Quad 1 game next (Uconn).

Six wins against ranked teams this year is a school record. They have more games against ranked teams, including the next game.

BE standings this morning
(top 4)

1. Prov 9-1 (loss to MU)
2. Nova 9-3 (2 of 3 losses to MU)
3. MU 8-4
3. Uconn 6-3 (MU plays next)

Eyeball test ... This team plays good defense!  I see smart decisions.  I see team basketball, not hero ball.  And most importantly, I see a young team doing all this. 

Finally they are a joy to watch.
Agree on all points.Shaka has greatly overachieved.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback