[Today at 09:14:48 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Of all the MU transfer/exits last year who could have stayed, who do you wish was still on THIS team?

Dawson
13 (6.4%)
DJ
16 (7.9%)
Theo
18 (8.9%)
Koby
4 (2%)
Jamal
70 (34.5%)
None
82 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Author Topic: Which piece would you take back?  (Read 5182 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Which piece would you take back?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 08:47:56 AM »
Cain would be the only one but if O-Max is a better fit.....especially if he plays like he did last night.  He's got a very high ceiling once he puts it all together.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 08:52:27 AM »
Would have never guessed that this would be the answer if you asked me before the season, but as the results show I agree that it’s Jamal.

That would likely mean an Emarion redshirt year but for the sake of this seasons team I think Jamal would certainly improve this squad. We would likely see less of OMax, but again that would be worth it for this season imo.

It would also be fun as heck to have the Detroit fellas together for Shakas resurrection of the program, they’ve been great student athletes and seem to improve the attitude of those around them.

Of course that’s nothing against the current guys here- as a matter of fact it’s a testament to those guys that this deep into the season a lot of people wouldn’t take any of the former players back

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 08:52:56 AM »
Theo doesn't fall over against Nate Robinson at the end of the PC game.

The image of Theo boxing out Nate Robinson is an amusing one
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
Athletically, I continue think DJ would have been awesome in this system offensively and there'd be a highlight reel of his dunks alone. However, my impression is he wouldn't have fit the culture and defensive intensity required to play in Shaka's system. He seemed fired up when Shaka was named and then gradually became quiet before he announced he was going pro. I don't think he was ready to buy into the system. So not DJ.

Dawson had 2 chances to buy into Shaka's system, both as a prospective Texas recruit and as a returning Soph at MU. He passed both times. His 3-point shooting ability might have been nice, particularly early in the season when the team was struggling, but they have corrected that. He doesn't have the speed to play this system of defense either. His rebounding would fill a deficiency, but if he can't play this defense he wouldn't be on the court enough for it to matter. So not Dawson.

MU's defense switches everything. Much as I am a fan of Theo, we saw in the past what happens when Theo gets switched on the parameter. He also is no better a rebounder than our current 5's, so no help there. So not Theo.

Koby? I appreciated his intensity and effort, but his travels and other turnovers drove me nuts. I can't see anything he does being better than what is already currently on the roster. So not Koby.

Jamal would have been a great culture fit IMO. The one solid thing he could have brought to the team is his rebounding; the guy can board. But, he had issues anytime he had to dribble, and he wasn't great defensively. Maybe Shaka could have coached him up on defense and put him in situations where he could succeed offensively, but if he is the player we saw, not Jamal.

So no one. But if I was forced to choose one, Jamal for his rebounding and team fit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:04:21 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
If you assume that the player would buy in, not scare away any of the new guys we got,  not detract from team chemistry, and not significantly limit the development of the current roster.... then it's DJ Carton hands down. He had the skillset to rampage in this system.

Given that you can't make all those assumptions,  no one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 09:06:55 AM »
The image of Theo boxing out Nate Robinson is an amusing one

Ha - I got it right the first time!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
If you assume that the player would buy in, not scare away any of the new guys we got,  not detract from team chemistry, and not significantly limit the development of the current roster.... then it's DJ Carton hands down. He had the skillset to rampage in this system.

Given that you can't make all those assumptions,  no one.
100% agree, DJ would be a monster. The "If" is why he is not here, though, IMO.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
I voted "none". It was very tempting to choose DJ and we were all surprised when he went from really excited about playing for Shaka to going pro. I think there was far more to his decision than we will ever know and that he had conversations with Shaka that made it clear that despite DJ's phenomenal abilities, it simply was not going to work out.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 09:18:27 AM »
100% agree, DJ would be a monster. The "If" is why he is not here, though, IMO.

Has he been hurt this year? 9 games with only 3 starts for the Swarm?

I mean no one predicted this, but you have to think featuring on this MU team would've done far more for his long term NBA prospects than what he's doing in Greensboro.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
Yeah - I mean I wonder if Jamal and Koby are happy to be the BMOC on a team that might get auto 13 seed bid and lose in the first round, or if they'd rather be a key piece on a team with legit 2nd weekend ambitions. Of course at the time they left it made sense.

With all the unknowns, they made a good choice and I'm sure they're happy.  They are on winning teams that have great shots at making the tourney, having excellent individual years which can only help their exposure for the next level, which is as important as anything for their careers.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 09:43:28 AM »
not a one

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 09:46:52 AM »
Has he been hurt this year? 9 games with only 3 starts for the Swarm?

I mean no one predicted this, but you have to think featuring on this MU team would've done far more for his long term NBA prospects than what he's doing in Greensboro.
Yeah, IF he bought into what Shaka was selling. We all saw that last year, when he turned up the intensity, he could be dominant. Really, really dominant. Problem was, he typically brought that 25% of the game. If Shaka could have gotten that out of him 75%-90% of the time, he is a lottery pick IMO.

But DJ went from all-in on the Shaka hire to cashing out so I don't think he could/wanted to do what was going to be required. Maybe he would have gone pro no matter who the coach was, but I think he missed a huge opportunity to play one more year and secure an eight-figure pro contract.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »
For this year's team, I'd have taken DJ first, Cain a distant second.

But either would have given us only one year, and I like that we'll have Kolek, Kam, Prosper, Joplin, etc, for multiple years. They are learning, improving AND helping us win.

So, looking at the macro picture, I'd take nobody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:39 AM »
Any of those guys would be useful, but I'd pick DJ.  Kids a player.  He would have fit well on this team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2022, 03:35:41 PM »
I am extremely happy with the 2021-2022 MU men’s basketball team.

Clean slates can be good. Clean slates are the way to build your own culture and team. The thing I'm most impressed with is that Shaka let the guys make their mistakes and play through and learn from them rather than yank them and sit them on the bench. He instills confidence, something sadly Wojo lacked. While they struggled early the team now knows they can score and that defense is the key; lets hope our rebounding improve accordingly. I don't think the wheels are going to fall off this team as we close the season.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2022, 05:17:10 PM »

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
A friend and I were talking about this before the game last night. Hands down, Jamal. He is an elite rebounder and that is what this team needs. OMax has definitely had his moments, but with Jamal in this lineup, it is easily a top 15 team.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2022, 05:38:29 PM »
I'll take Omax over Cain seven days a week. His upside is extremely high and he has long career ahead of him at MU.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2022, 05:39:29 PM »
Dawson in a heartbeat.
Need length next year.  Also his 3 pt shooting adds another weapon on offense.
Greg, Oso, Justin, Stevie and Kam all took to Shaka's defense.  I don't think Dawson would have much problem either.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »
I'll take Omax over Cain seven days a week. His upside is extremely high and he has long career ahead of him at MU.

I am in agreement with you here, Goose. O-Max is going to surprise a lot of people when it all starts to click.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2022, 06:14:17 PM »

+1000

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2022, 07:45:41 PM »
Agreed. While Cain's rebounding would be a positive, OMax's defense is head and shoulders better. Does anyone think Jamal could have hounded Gillespie the way OMax did?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
None, Shaka is well capable of building his own team. Don't miss any of 'em, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:36 PM »
Based on what I saw of them here and what I’ve seen of this team? None of the above, and it’s easy. If you want to argue that they would be completely different players under Shaka than what we saw before I guess I’d listen.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2022, 07:56:58 AM »
Perhaps, for the long term, Aidoo.

feedback