'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 01:45:25 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sweep Wright  (Read 9261 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Sweep Wright
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2022, 06:23:59 AM »
Not noticeable at all on television. Sounded like an awesome crowd for a weeknight.

Paid attendance was under 13k. So, some of the empty seats in the lower bowl weren't sold, not no shows. Crowd was excellent for a cold, 9pm game.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2022, 06:38:03 AM »
That thought ruined a good evening. Just a fart in the wind.

despite our "differences" i just had to say-now that was funny!!   ;D 
don't...don't don't don't don't

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2022, 07:18:03 AM »
Absolutely. The attendance in the 200 level was embarrassing.

Luckily that wasnt noteable on TV to a national audience.

Steve Prohm even made a comment last night when talking about our win and how we pack arenas with 17K nightly. I chuckled a bit since it came after last nights game.

Couldnt tell at all on tv. And the crowd that showed up(thanks students) was really into it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2022, 07:23:50 AM »
I was very surprised he didn’t not play several minutes in the second half.
Very surprised.
Shows how good of a relationship Shaka has with him.

I thought both Joplin and Kam would get more minutes too. But Shaka went with experience and the lineup that was playing the best D. Putting the "right" people on the floor at the right time has been one of Shaka's many strengths.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2022, 07:29:18 AM »
I never want to hear "the student section sucks" in the middle of January again.

If you can’t get up for #12 at 9pm you should go to college somewhere else.  Why are we giving credit to college kids for attending a 9pm game like it’s some inconvenience.  9pm tip is the biggest gift a college kid could get.

The 2nd biggest gift a college kid could get is Shaka. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2022, 07:35:35 AM »
If you can’t get up for #12 at 9pm you should go to college somewhere else. 

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

romey

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2022, 08:11:11 AM »
Nope. No AED or chest compressions though, that I saw.
I was there and another fan said he died.  I never heard anything else.

Upper bowl was pretty sparse.  But energy was fantastic.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2022, 08:22:17 AM »
Absolutely. The attendance in the 200 level was embarrassing.
I wouldn't go that far.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:39:20 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »
I was there and another fan said he died.  I never heard anything else.

Upper bowl was pretty sparse.  But energy was fantastic.

Terrible news, if true. It all happened in that weird timeout after the tech when Shaka and Kolek were arguing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2022, 09:09:46 AM »
  • Atmosphere was electric. Students were in full voice from the start and after the 10-2 run to get it rolling, they stayed engaged all night long.
  • That said...MU needs to do better selling these tickets. The upper bowl was maybe 20-30% full. We have a ranked team that is on absolute fire, figure out how to get people in seats. Offer them to schools, be more active on social media, whatever they have to do.
  • So many guys stepped up. Justin and TK in the first half, Darryl down the stretch, O-Max on the defensive end.
  • After not using the press much in conference play, we broke it out to start the game and it clearly flustered Villanova. You don't often see a Jay Wright team so out-of-sorts. In the postgame, Jay said he wasn't expecting it. That was our guy being able to outcoach their guy.
  • Rebounding was better on both ends, especially in the first half. If we could replicate that all year long, those numbers would have us top-200 in both categories. Not elite, but better enough that we become a much better team.
  • Got a little clip of Tyler singing Sweet Caroline at the end with my phone. That kid is brash and is going to be hated everywhere outside Milwaukee for years to come.
  • The two biggest moments for the crowd were the Justin Lewis PUJIT three and Darryl's personal 6-0 run. Loved how every time 'Nova got close, we had an answer.
  • Felt like some calls kept them in it late. Quite a few going against us whereas our guys couldn't get to the line even when they drove the paint. Didn't matter in the end, but felt like Jay got a little extra respect.
  • Great win, back on track. Win the games we're supposed to the rest of the way and we are no worse than a 6-seed.
  • Colin Gillespie has adjusted offensive ratings of 96+ in 10/12 Big East games. In the other two, he played Marquette.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:16:40 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2022, 09:30:56 AM »
Excellent comparison to '15 Cubs VBMG. Always said I'd be willing to sign for a pennant with the Cubs every year they had a legit shot from '84 to '15, but said after '15 maybe not next year. Hopefully saying the same thing about MU soon.
GO WARRIORS!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2022, 09:47:46 AM »
We Are! 👏 👏 Marquette! 👏 👏
No Finish Line

panda

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2022, 09:55:52 AM »
Joplin is playing such a difficult role and keeps making shots in extremely limited minutes. He’s going to be an awesome player. Just not many minutes to go around with Justin in front of him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2022, 09:57:45 AM »
Joplin is playing such a difficult role and keeps making shots in extremely limited minutes. He’s going to be an awesome player. Just not many minutes to go around with Justin in front of him.

He needs to improve his defensive instincts and bring consistent effort on that end, but I love his ceiling. All aboard the Jopwagon.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2022, 10:07:07 AM »
This team tho.  Doubt anything saw this coming, but wow.  Super impressed and super happy to be dead wrong earlier in the season about this group.  Very exiting stuff!

With the schedule rest of the way, if PC can lose a couple games, Big East championship isn't out of reach.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
I like Joplin.  I enjoy watching him progress.   If Lewis leaves, I think he slides in next to OMP nearly seamlessly.   Shaka needs to get either a banger or a couple more long wings.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:19 AM »

Joplin is so smooth on the offensive end.  Really like his game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »

He reminded me a little of Johnny Juzang last night in terms of taking and making tough shots. Not saying he's anywhere near that level yet, but in an offense geared towards threes and dunks, he's the type that will get the pass from the staff when it comes to mid-range fadeaways because (like Justin or Morsell) he can make those tough shots.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
He reminded me a little of Johnny Juzang last night in terms of taking and making tough shots. Not saying he's anywhere near that level yet, but in an offense geared towards threes and dunks, he's the type that will get the pass from the staff when it comes to mid-range fadeaways because (like Justin or Morsell) he can make those tough shots.

That one fall-back-baby J was a thing of beauty. It literally was the classic case of me saying "No!" when he took it and "Yes!" when it went in.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2022, 10:35:56 AM »

And he’s really stepped it up defensively.

I was very high on him coming out of hs. I didn’t anticipate such a leap for Lewis otherwise he would be getting more minutes now. Shaka loves him too.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »
Not noticeable at all on television. Sounded like an awesome crowd for a weeknight.
200 level very apparent in person, but it surely was  a great crowd.  Students were awesome. Crowd size probably affected by the late start , cold, Covid fears and weather in the Chicago area.  Whatever, a fun night at the FF!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2022, 10:37:59 AM »
And he’s really stepped it up defensively.

I was very high on him coming out of hs. I didn’t anticipate such a leap for Lewis otherwise he would be getting more minutes now. Shaka loves him too.

Shaka things Jop will be better at the offensive end than JLew. And that's saying a lot. Jop will be a bucket for us.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »
Does anyone have the clip of Shaka and Kolek yelling at each other?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »

That little stretch with Kam and Jop hitting in succession was awesome to see. As Raftery would say, "Onions!" for young guys in a big time game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXD6TQmiW18

Shaka post game

"You can't have a schedule when you have a bunch of guys who haven't played together before."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTk14vKVBU

Darryl.   Those are the arms of a 5th year senior.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:57:43 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.