[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 15 top assistants in college basketball  (Read 5293 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
15 top assistants in college basketball
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: 15 top assistants in college basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »
From 2012....this made me laugh

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1155271-the-15-best-assistant-coaches-in-college-basketball#slide15

Can’t wait for the 2019 version

Wow not a ringing endorsement for hiring assistants.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »

Been saying this for the last 10 years, but I digress
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »
Been saying this for the last 10 years, but I digress

You have, and you're right.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:21:29 PM »

So why have we continued the tradition of hiring assistants? It worked twice but eventually luck runs out. We pay well, have administration support and a good fan base so why do we always settle for an unproven maybe?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
So why have we continued the tradition of hiring assistants? It worked twice but eventually luck runs out. We pay well, have administration support and a good fan base so why do we always settle for an unproven maybe?
How many established coaches were interested in leaving their jobs and coming to MU?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
I would say Otzelberger, Musselman, John Brannen, Leon Rice, Nate Davis, and Earl Rice.

One of my colleagues played at Randolph-Macon and knows Mike Rhoades. He said Rhoades would be great at Marquette.

There is plenty of superb talent out there. Why do we accept sustained mediocrity?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
How many established coaches were interested in leaving their jobs and coming to MU?

According to many on this board, none. Apparently MU is a sh*t whole institution that only someone like Wojo would coach. We can never fire Wojo; if we do then MU is done in DI hoops (like maybe 5 walk-ons for the whole team)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
I would say Otzelberger, Musselman, John Brannen, Leon Rice, Nate Davis, and Earl Rice.

One of my colleagues played at Randolph-Macon and knows Mike Rhoades. He said Rhoades would be great at Marquette.

There is plenty of superb talent out there. Why do we accept sustained mediocrity?

Ever been to Waukesha?

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »

Add Oats to this

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Ever been to Waukesha?

I actually stay at the Waukesha Marriott for my visits with GE Distributed Power. Had my first Sobelman's there.

I had read on Scoop about the bloodies there so I naturally ordered one. Had to take a picture of it for the Baby David's mother who commented, "A meal in a glass!"

One thing about being a ball coach - they are oblivious to everything but the team, practice, and the game.

A Belichik or an Izzo can be surrounded by naked Playboy Playmates but all they are thinking is the next game.

I never bought the thesis that coaches and players rate location heavily. If that were true then Michigan and Notre Dame football or Michigan State and Syracuse hoops would have never won a game. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
I actually stay at the Waukesha Marriott for my visits with GE Distributed Power. Had my first Sobelman's there.

I had read on Scoop about the bloodies there so I naturally ordered one. Had to take a picture of it for the Baby David's mother who commented, "A meal in a glass!"

One thing about being a ball coach - they are oblivious to everything but the team, practice, and the game.

A Belichik or an Izzo can be surrounded by naked Playboy Playmates but all they are thinking is the next game.

I never bought the thesis that coaches and players rate location heavily. If that were true then Michigan and Notre Dame football or Michigan State and Syracuse hoops would have never won a game.

I was simply implying that many of our alumni live in Waukesha, and it is the model of mediocrity.  MU 2000+ is not MU 1970+

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
Luke Yaklich - Michigan. Wojo gets canned, that's who I am after.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 09:53:51 PM »

Why? I know he's supposedly the mastermind behind Michigan's defense (and it is a beautiful defense) but the guy was coaching high school 6 years ago. That seems like a huge risk.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »
Why? I know he's supposedly the mastermind behind Michigan's defense (and it is a beautiful defense) but the guy was coaching high school 6 years ago. That seems like a huge risk.

I mean you pretty much answered your own question. He's the defensive "guru" at Michigan. I suppose there are better options at the HC level but he's one of the better assistants imo

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
I was simply implying that many of our alumni live in Waukesha, and it is the model of mediocrity.  MU 2000+ is not MU 1970+

I had never spent time there until we began doing micro grids with GE. My read on Waukesha is that it is industrial and not prospering.

I have several MU friends who live in Wauwautosa, which I believe is more upscale.

I always confused those two cities while at MU. 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 12:07:05 AM »

This would be an excellent choice. Great, great defensive mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 12:13:46 AM »
People would be surprised at the names that have applied for the MU job in the past. That being said...IF he is healthy enough to do it again...My guy would be Thad Matta. I have a list of others I'd prefer that I'm fairly certain MU could get(and it would surprise many). but I'm gonna keep that to myself so people(especially Cheeks) don't ridicule and I have to hear "he'd never come here etc etc".
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 12:18:44 AM »

I don't get it. What does his occupation 6 years ago have to do with being a recognized national thought leader in defensive practice at one of the absolute best college basketball programs? 

6 Years before taking over as Head Coach of Butler Brad Stevens was pushing drugs at Eli Lily. He wasn't even in the game. Within two years he was coaching in the National Title game.

If John Beilein has confidence in Yaklich I would suggest the fools of Scoop should note that endorsement.   

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 12:20:43 AM »
I don't get it. What does his occupation 6 years ago have to do with being a recognized national thought leader in defensive practice at one of the absolute best college basketball programs? 

6 Years before taking over as Head Coach of Butler Brad Stevens was pushing drugs at Eli Lily. He wasn't even in the game. Within two years he was coaching in the National Title game.

If John Beilein has confidence in Yaklich I would suggest the fools of Scoop should note that endorsement.

Nate Oates was Coaching at a HS in Michigan before getting an asst job on hurley's staff at Buffalo...a few years later it was his show.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »

Pakuni and Lenny will tell you why.  The other answer is because no established coaches from a high major are coming here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 12:29:00 AM »
People would be surprised at the names that have applied for the MU job in the past. That being said...IF he is healthy enough to do it again...My guy would be Thad Matta. I have a list of others I'd prefer that I'm fairly certain MU could get(and it would surprise many). but I'm gonna keep that to myself so people(especially Cheeks) don't ridicule and I have to hear "he'd never come here etc etc".

Lol.  I’ve seen many of the names, also on the football side including one Joe Paterno back in the day. 

Even if you could get a few of them, they last 5 years and leave.  Then we start all over again.  Also there are a whole number of total mythological applicants that never happened, but alums think they did.  That list is endless and we used to laugh when I worked there at some of the insane rumors that some lumps had vs the reality of the world.  Pitino was one of my favorite rumors. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 03:18:01 AM »

I said it was very risky,  not necessarily bad. Everyone wants the young up and comer who they think is the next big thing. There are a lot more Bryce Drews out there than there are Brad Stevens.

And if Beilein vouching for Yaklich should be noted, shouldn't Coach K vouching for Wojo  ;)?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »

You already know the answer. He who wields the laser power point like a Jedi knight gets thr gig and thr cash and the worship.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
I said it was very risky,  not necessarily bad. Everyone wants the young up and comer who they think is the next big thing. There are a lot more Bryce Drews out there than there are Brad Stevens.

And if Beilein vouching for Yaklich should be noted, shouldn't Coach K vouching for Wojo  ;)?

Not sure K gave Wojo any specific line responsibility as Beilein has with Yaklich. Wojo was more the sidekick or right hand man who had administrative responsibilities.

Sure, Wojo worked with the Duke 4's and 5's. But that doesn't compare with Yaklich's scope of responsibility and span of control.

A color commentator this fall said that U of M had the two finest defensive coordinators in college sports - Don Brown in football and Yaklich in basketball.

Wojo has had his chance. In Year 5 it seemed he had finally turned the corner but the magnitude and completeness of The Collapse gives lie to his ability to run a top program. Fact is, he lost that team. And there is no more damning criticism of a leader than that.