[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Father Wild & Buzz  (Read 19214 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Father Wild & Buzz
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
I had the pleasure of talking to Father Wild at the game on Thursday.  We talked about Buzz and the hiring process.  I expressed how many of us alumni are very happy with the hire, the performance of the team, and in particular Buzz's ability to convey the beliefs and character of our faith & school.  He said that there was a lot of internal concern with the alumni reaction to the hire and not everybody on the hiring committee was 100% behind it.  They said the one thing they knew for sure was that he'd be able to recruit but weren't sure how he'd be with the players and his coaching ability.  So they took a large leap of faith and received a lot of alumni backlash at the time. 

I told him that while Buzz still seems to be learning and developing his in-game strategy, the way he's been able to get the team to perform this year with so many injuries and general lack of top-level talent has been tremendous.  I told him that I was one of the alumni that was concerned about us not going after a big name hire and wondered about Buzz's lack of experience but was willing to give him a chance.  I went on to say that Buzz first started to win me over with his honest and straight-forward personality which came across in his interviews and radio show.  Then I completely bought in with the way he had the team playing last year before DJ's injury.  As an alumnus, I was proud of Buzz, the team and their excellent effort... well maybe not on Thu! ;)

Looking back, I told him I thought Buzz was as close to a homerun hire as we could have hoped for and that the hiring committee and specifically Father Wild should be commended for making the hire.  As an alumnus, I was very thankful for their decision.  His response caught me slightly off-guard... he said " thanks, that means a lot because I haven't heard that from very many of the alumni".  I responded by saying that all of my alumni friends share my sentiments and I'm surprised that he hasn't heard more positive alumni comments on Buzz.

So my question to my fellow MU fans is... are you still on the fence with the hire and if so, what are your concerns?  If you think that Buzz is as good as hire as I do, please be sure to thank Father Wild for the hire next time you see him!

Lastly, for those of you who haven't met or talked with Father Wild, please introduce yourself next time you see him.  He's a tremendous individual who deeply cares about Marquette and the alumni base.  He was very generous with his time on Thursday to the point where I felt I was monopolizing his time!  While we may not always agree with is decisions, I know that he is truly doing what he thinks is best for the University.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Father Wild & Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
I am fully behind Buzz.

For now.  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »
LW, were you wearing Warrior gear?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
LW, were you wearing Warrior gear?

Funny you say that... I let a friend borrow my gameday standard Warriors Forever shirt for the game and I was going with my plain gold Marquette Basketball shirt.  I didn't broach the Warriors subject as I really just wanted to compliment Father Wild on the hire and let him know how highly I thought about Buzz as a coach and representative of MU.

MU83

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
Great post last Warrior.  I agree with your statements 100%.  Buzz's self-effacing and humble personality is refreshing in this time of larger than life college coaches.  Buzz has a lot to learn, but don't we all.  I have been in my current profession for over 25 years, but I still have much to learn.  I hope we give Buzz the chance he deserves, as I believe it will pay dividends.  Kudos to Father Wild.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
Has anyone, other than Rican and I, expressed to Fr. Wild what a breath of humble fresh air Buzz is, as opposed to the previous coach?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
Has anyone, other than Rican and I, expressed to Fr. Wild what a breath of humble fresh air Buzz is, as opposed to the previous coach?
Your underwear (er, agenda) is showing again.   ::)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Buzz has been fantastic. His personality is just night and day better than our previous guy...but I must say I still question the process that led to us hiring him. He has worked out, but he was absolutely not qualified to be a Big East head coach. I said it at the time, the fact he's become a head basketball coach at a high major university reminds me of the Peter Sellars movie "Being There." Chauncy Gardner. I have a very difficult time believing that Cottingham made this hire. I don't believe he did.

But I like him...no doubt about that.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
I have a very difficult time believing that Cottingham made this hire. I don't believe he did.

He did...however, MU only interviewed Buzz so it's kind of a mute point.

Buzz is greatly exceeding expectations.  Here's to hoping he continues to improve.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
mute point.

Or moot.  Whichever.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
Again, this comes down to being able to differentiate between the coach/results and the process that put him in place to be coach.

I've been nothing but thrilled with what Buzz has done so far. Sure there are a few things I'd do differently, but I'm sitting at home on my fat arse during games, not coaching with a lifetime spent in the game so what do I know. Last year gets tossed out somewhat due to the three seniors. But post DJs injury, he showed he could cobble an undersized and undermanned squad to win in the Big East. I'm also a realist and I know that while being the top of the Big East is our goal, we are a long way from that and need to build to get there. Buzz has/is doing that with the players that he has in place. That said...

The head coach of MU's hoops teams is the most public position at the school. And how the hoops team does goes miles towards the number of applications and donations the school gets. Also, the better the team does, the better the perception of the school. As alumni we want/need the team to do well to keep it in good standing with the public. That being said, whenever the day Buzz leaves, Cottingham and Wild friggin' better have a plan in place of who to contact the minute Buzz is leaving. It was clear Cottingham had no clue what he was doing when TC bolted. To say we got lucky would be an understatement.

Look at Michigan football right now. They got caught with their pants down and didn't have a #2 firmly lined up. When they didn't get their first choice (and second, and third...) panic set in and they settled on Rich Rod (yes, a good coach to settle with I still say and who my still be a success). And Rich Rod split the alumni right to the core. Look where they are now.

As long as MU learns from this, that's fine. But we can't roll those dice again. Hopefully Cottingham learned from that mistake.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
And if I ever have the pleasure of getting some time w/Father Wild I'll tell him that to his face. He's a great stand-up guy who we should all be proud of and I'm sure he's a big boy and can take/has taken this criticism. It's obvious that he has based on the comments he told you about not getting compliments on Buzz.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
He did...however, MU only interviewed Buzz so it's kind of a mute point.

Buzz is greatly exceeding expectations.  Here's to hoping he continues to improve.

My point is that it was not Cottingham's decision. I understand his name is on it.

Buzz was hired by Dick Strong, on the recommendation of horse's ass Tom Crean.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
Tulsa University has had some good ones over the years Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith and Bill Self.  The problem has been holding on to a good one.  Tulsa hired an assistant coach with area ties with the hope of holding on to a coach long term.  It didn't work out.  The school has some money to throw around and never found a long term fit.

Buzz might be that fit for Marquette.  I think there's a chance there may be a statue of him someday at the Al.

Despite Marquette's fairly deep pockets.  It's not a fit for every up and comer coach.  If Marquette had hired Dick Bennett when he sought the job school history would have been different.  Tony Bennett would have been a Marquette star and would be the school's head coach now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
My point is that it was not Cottingham's decision. I understand his name is on it.

Buzz was hired by Dick Strong, on the recommendation of horse's ass Tom Crean.

Tony B was Dick's guy.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
Tony B was Dick's guy.

That may be, but we know for a fact that Strong interviewed Buzz. I'm guessing once Bennett (who I wanted us to hire) turned him down, he called in Buzz and hired him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
Tony B was Dick's guy.

You sure Tony B wasn't the guy's Dick?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

Yawn... There would be no Buzz without the previous coach.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »

It was clear Cottingham had no clue what he was doing when TC bolted. To say we got lucky would be an understatement.

As long as MU learns from this, that's fine. But we can't roll those dice again. Hopefully Cottingham learned from that mistake.

Sorry, but what is clear is that you have no clue about what Cottingham and the rest actually did.  The description I got from a reliable insider was that Marquette did in fact have a plan in place, that it contacted Bennett, who contemplated taking the job before deciding to stay at Washington State, and two others who declined the job, then interviewed Buzz with some contingency plans in place in case he did not work out.  They hardly threw a dart at a dart board while wearing a blindfold. 

I am going to take the opinion of people who get paid to make such decisions over those of a guy on a message board whose knowledge of what is going on is limited to what he reads on message boards. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »
Your underwear (er, agenda) is showing again.   ::)

Have I ever pretended otherwise?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »
I think Buzz has done an incredible job so far at Marquette.  It is amazing how he has squeezed every last bit of abiliy out of Mo and Cubey.  He also is such a great personality and is all about the program.  He works extremely hard and is a fantastic recruiter.  I hope he is here to stay.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »
I'll stay consistent....so far so good but will make my full evaluation after year 4 or 5.  I do not think he was a homerun hire as the first post stated. 

He's done very well with Crean's players and I love. Butler and DJO.  Jury is out on Williams, Buycks, bigs, etc.

But so far so good.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
I do not think he was a homerun hire as the first post stated. 

Just to be clear, I did not say he was a homerun hire.  I said... "Looking back, I told him I thought Buzz was as close to a homerun hire as we could have hoped for and that the hiring committee and specifically Father Wild should be commended for making the hire."

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Last year gets tossed out somewhat due to the three seniors.

I completely disagree with this mindset. Every year there are talented teams that underachieve...look at UConn this year. Mega talented team, yet underachieving.

You know which coaches make the Hall of Fame? Coaches who win, and win a lot. Who wins the most games? The coaches with the best players.

I just don't understand how the players get credit when teams win, and the coach is blamed when teams lose.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
I completely disagree with this mindset. Every year there are talented teams that underachieve...look at UConn this year. Mega talented team, yet underachieving.

You know which coaches make the Hall of Fame? Coaches who win, and win a lot. Who wins the most games? The coaches with the best players.

I just don't understand how the players get credit when teams win, and the coach is blamed when teams lose.

Right, but you are missing the point. They weren't HIS players. They were TC's. No knock on Buzz, but making the NCAA was all but assured last year, and to be frank, 1-1 in the tourney was an underachievement.

You really can't judge him based on last year, positively or negatively. No, he didn't blow it, but he didn't do anything spectacular either, given the circumstances. We shouldn't commend him just because we didn't pull a UCONN and underachieve.

I'd say this year however, he's done everything we could have asked of him and more. We're staying above water with his players. So based on that, I'd say (as of right now) he was a relatively good hire. Next year will be very important in terms of Buzz's legacy and future with MU. He got a bit of a pass this year and exceeded relatively low expectations. Next year the bar is set quite a bit higher.