[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super Bowl  (Read 8517 times)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Super Bowl
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
So who are y'all rootin' for?

As a Navy Brat that suffered through his last 3 years of high school in Rhode Island, I am hoping and praying for the Patriots to lose.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
I'm rooting for something like Dumb and Dumber, The Godfather, or Die Hard to be on TNT or TBS.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
That was one heck of an exciting game.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »
I'm rooting for something like Dumb and Dumber, The Godfather, or Die Hard to be on TNT or TBS.

i noticed fools rush in and bridget jones: edge of reason were on tbs. how were they? i watched the greatest football game i've ever seen tonight.
what a post-season by the giants and eli manning. no one expected them to even make it past tampa bay. manning had one of the biggest turnarounds i can remember, from being somewhat inconsistent during the regular season to just absolutely owning TB, Dallas, GB and NE (one pick in the post season!!!) wow. Congrats to the NYG

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
what a game - NYG came out of nowhere this season.  Love to see Pats lose the most important one
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yeah, that was nothing short of amazing.

How about that play when Eli pulled a Michael Vick and looked like he was about to go down, but he managed to pull out and then sling that bullet to Tyree, and then Tyree holding on to that ball WITH HIS HELMET WHILE HIS DEFENDER WAS TRYING TO RIP HIS ARM OFF?!?!

Wow.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
Tyree really should be MVP. 
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »
I just hope Eli did our commercial for us.  He was waivering on Friday...it was like the Disneyworld commercials.  I guess I'll find out at work tomorrow morning.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:19:35 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »
Rocky and Spiral are in town and we watched the Superbowl at a bar downtown.  -- Best part, though, was at the end.

Who was standing next to us?  FREEWAY. -- He's flipping off the screen saying F*** the Giants!!

Hey, Freeway, you going to the MU game tomorrow?  A: I'll be watching the game LIVE!  at Major Goolsby's.

Freeway then proceeds to ask the same question at least a dozen times: 

How many games has Tom Crean won at home in Conference Tournaments before the Big East?

We gave the correct answer, ZERO, but he wouldn't accept that.  He kept asking, we thought maybe he was asking how many games TC lost in CUSA tournaments "he could have won" .. he wouldn't accept any answer we gave him, yet kept asking it, adamant there was an answer to his preposterous question.

Then he left.

I haven't seen Freeway in a while.  He's packed on some pounds.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:01:42 PM »
anyone else a little upset at Belicheck leaving the game before the game was over... with 1 second left he shook hands with Coughlin and left the field... Is there any coach with less class then Bill Belicheck?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
anyone else a little upset at Belicheck leaving the game before the game was over... with 1 second left he shook hands with Coughlin and left the field... Is there any coach with less class then Bill Belicheck?

Nope.  The guy's like most upperclass undergrad nursing students (like me) on Fridays...no class.

Frickin' Bill Beli-b!tch.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Nope.  The guy's like most upperclass undergrad nursing students (like me) on Fridays...no class.

There was no reason they couldn't run the 1 second off.  It's been done before.  No reason Belicheck should have to get back on the sideline and go back out again when there was nothing left to do.  And no reason to put the lid back on the Giants celebration.  Classless would be not acknowledging Tom Coughlin.  Is he supposed to bow before the Giants as they accepted the trophy?  I'm pretty sure he told the ref he was fine with the 1 second running off but for no reason they had to clear the field and delay the moment.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »

There was no reason they couldn't run the 1 second off.  It's been done before.  No reason Belicheck should have to get back on the sideline and go back out again when there was nothing left to do.  And no reason to put the lid back on the Giants celebration.  Classless would be not acknowledging Tom Coughlin.  Is he supposed to bow before the Giants as they accepted the trophy?  I'm pretty sure he told the ref he was fine with the 1 second running off but for no reason they had to clear the field and delay the moment.

Yup. I was surprised they had to run that last second off. They do that on a weekly basis in the NFL. I'm sure the world-wide audience was the reason why they had to "make sure time was officially over" before celebrating.
SS Marquette

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 12:45:55 AM »

You could have just said he was like school in summertime instead of outing yourself as Gaylord Focker.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »
eh, I'm all good bein' a murse.  can't hate the male:female ratios.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »

His team had to stay there, he should have to stay there for the one second.  He has no problem beating teams by 30, accept defeat.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »

i noticed fools rush in and bridget jones: edge of reason were on tbs. how were they? i watched the greatest football game i've ever seen tonight.

It was a great game to be sure...greatest you've ever seen? How old are you?

I also thought Tyree should have been MVP. That catch was obviously a game saver. I love Amani Toomer, but I thought he cost them the game on two occasions by not being aware of or fighting for the first down marker - came up about a foot short twice.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »

I also thought Tyree should have been MVP. That catch was obviously a game saver. I love Amani Toomer, but I thought he cost them the game on two occasions by not being aware of or fighting for the first down marker - came up about a foot short twice.

also agree... that catch by Tyree will be a classic that ranks up there with the Immaculate Reception.  Not the greatest game I ever watched, lets face it, the first half was pretty awful.  However I will give Eli his props, the man has been criticized since his early years at Ole Miss, talks on how he can't win like his brother, you have to feel good for him.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »

c'mon don't try to downplay how awesome i guess i should've put a disclaimer on there that it was my opinion, of course. so mb i got caught up in the heat of the moment, but i'm putting it down as a definite top 3 game. you do realize this is probably one of the biggest upset/underdog stories in the nfl ever? a 10-6 team that can't win @ home to save their life (and can't lose away from home!) beats three favored teams on the road in the playoffs..then beat an undefeated 18-0 nearly flawless New England club? A NE club that surely would've been considered the greatest team in NFL history had they won. Between that, great defense, great catches (tyree among others), a great final drive by a manning led NY (including a 4th and 1) capped off by a game winning td in the last minute .....of the SUPER BOWL! Think how many super bowls have been over by mid way through the 3rd quarter. All i'm saying is this has all the makeup for an amazing game regardless, and the fact that it was for all the marbles made it an incredible game.
the first half wasn't terrible either, it was just a defensive battle. sure it was low scoring, i would've liked to see another touchdown by both teams, but it was still an all around amazing game.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:51:47 AM by muhoosier260 »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »
A NE club that surely would've been considered the greatest team in NFL history had they won.

By whom? They would have been the only team to go 19-0, but that in and of itself does not make them the greatest team ever (not to mention they didn't do it...If if's and but's...). The state of the rest of the league is a huge factor. They were definitely a great team, but even if they had won, I'm not even sure they would be in the Top 3-5, let alone best ever. In no particular order...

'85 Bears, '72 Dolphins, '74 Steelers, '79 Steelers, '62 Packers, '89 49ers, even the '90's Cowboys

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »

'85 Bears, '72 Dolphins, '74 Steelers, '79 Steelers, '62 Packers, '89 49ers, even the '90's Cowboys

'99 rams   greatest show on turf
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
I (Bears fan) told my buddy from Boston "at least we lost to the good Manning."   ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »
I (Bears fan) told my buddy from Boston "at least we lost to the good Manning."   ;D

At least the losing team made the game interesting.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »

At least the losing team made the game interesting.

And it would also appear that they have hope at QB. After the past month or so, it looks like the the thrashings/comparisons of Rex Grossman and Eli Manning may have to be limited to Grossman, as Eli seems to have arrived, while Rex is still a 5-foot QB who can't play.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
A NE club that surely would've been considered the greatest team in NFL history had they won.

By whom? They would have been the only team to go 19-0, but that in and of itself does not make them the greatest team ever (not to mention they didn't do it...If if's and but's...). The state of the rest of the league is a huge factor. They were definitely a great team, but even if they had won, I'm not even sure they would be in the Top 3-5, let alone best ever. In no particular order...

yes i realize it was an if then statement. that's exactly why the giants victory was so amazing, because they were the only team who actually DID prevent NE from being undefeated. again, their defense was stellar and it was the main reason the patriots was so disrupted. no team displayed that type of intensity on defense against the patriots all season.
you ask by whom the patriots were being considered the greatest team? i thought it seemed like there was a pretty large crowd that believed IF they won they would have to be at least considered the greatest team, everyone may not agree, but had they won you couldn't just totally dismiss them as not even in the top 5. Again, the patriots didn't win, so i agree, there's really no argument. However, i still think the patriots today (and a handful of other teams in this day's NFL) would beat the 70's Steelers teams merely because of the differences in weight: '72 Dolphins and '74 Steelers heaviest O or D-lineman was 275, while the patriots, for example, have no one lighter than 285, with nearly every player over 300. Not only that, but the players today are so much quicker, stronger, bigger, better shape. Advancements in strength conditioning and training makes today's players athletically superior to those of the 70's. Could the Falcons beat the '72 dolphins? Of course not, but I honestly believe that more than just the patriots could. However, the dolphins have that elusive undefeated record which is hard to argue against.
You mention state of the league is a factor. The players today overall are faster, stronger, bigger and all around better than those of three decades ago. That on top of the fact that the patriots won two more regular season games is why i think they're still a top 5 team, even though they didn't win it all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:15:22 PM by muhoosier260 »

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
What is the worst part of the Giants winning?

Not having the '72 dolphins shut up.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »

HOWEVER! 2-3 more decades, and that team is flat out dead. Nine feet deep or ashes spread somewhere.

If the Pats won, we would see Tom Brady and Randy Moss until 2075 every time a team comes close.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »

HOWEVER! 2-3 more decades, and that team is flat out dead. Nine feet deep or ashes spread somewhere.

If the Pats won, we would see Tom Brady and Randy Moss until 2075 every time a team comes close.

you forgot Belicheat.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »

you forgot Belicheat.

Well, he won't last till 2075. More like 2050. And seeing him on the sideline, not enjoying life, ever, won't be so bad.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »

you forgot Belicheat.

Well, he won't last till 2075. More like 2050. And seeing him on the sideline, not enjoying life, ever, won't be so bad.

all of this is so true!!! thanks for making me smile after the tough loss. did anyone see his post game comments? after brady says the usual "it was disappointing, we're all upset", belicheat just goes "i feel the same" and then they cut away. i know he takes pride in being a man of few words, but he just looks like such a pompous crybaby a-hole when he does it- all the time!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:57:49 PM by muhoosier260 »